You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

I know already as I write this, I'll get hassle for it...

But Liverpool were one of the prime instigators of the concept. Not with Sky, but ITV at the time, and they attempted to create a group of super clubs who'd grab the vast majority of TV money etc.

To put it bluntly, the top 5 or 6 clubs fancied having all the money and didn't like sharing it, so set about forming a group of their own with a longer term objective of forming an elite league.

In the end, the other clubs ended up retaliating (but also acknowledging there was money in this 'ere TV stuff) - and formed the PL.

United, Everton, Arsenal, and Spurs from memory were in that group (not sure about Spurs, but Alan Sugar played a pivotal role... since he was making Sky dishes... he craftily voted for Sky which ended up being a pivotal vote).

There's a real irony that for all the money Sky's brought to the game, clubs are arguably in a worse financial state than ever

There was 10 clubs who wanted to breakaway at that time 1988.

Also it was 20 clubs who resigned from the football league to set up the Premiership.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoiding relegation three seasons running on a maximum wage of 20k a week a minimal transfer budget and average home crowds of 18,634.

Failing to qualify for the EL for two successive seasons with some players on 80k a week, at least two on over 100k a week, and a transfer spend of £110m, and average home gates of 44,253.

Scoring within five league goals of us, yet having spent £55m less on the forward line.

Which performance is better, which worse?

Irrelevant.

How does avoiding relegation three times equate to being able to break into the top four?

Steve Bruce spent less & achieved more.

Should we appoint him?

Martinez is not the problem, the process that's led us to this is what's been wrong.

Irrelevant.

How does avoiding relegation three times equate to being able to break into the top four?

Steve Bruce spent less & achieved more.

Should we appoint him?

Martinez is not the problem, the process that's led us to this is what's been wrong.

I'm sorry that's bollocks. I'm not saying Martinez should be our Manager, but that's just untrue. Martinez had to sell to buy for the whole time he was there, but Bruce didn't.

I'm starting to feel like the old Scotish bloke of Dads Army.

"We're doomed. Doomed I tell yer".

Can't wait for the season to start though. Three months and no footy - feels like a prison sentence.

Seriously, what chance do we think Martinez has of lasting twelve months in the job? I honestly believe the odds are massively against him so would go for 12-1. Poor sap hasn't got a clue what he is letting himself in for and by the time he realises that he is completely out of his depth he will have nowhere to hide. I think I'm starting to feel sorry for him and he hasn't even got the job.

I'm sorry that's bollocks. I'm not saying Martinez should be our Manager, but that's just untrue. Martinez had to sell to buy for the whole time he was there, but Bruce didn't.

You're arguing about the relative merits of our new manager, Roberto Martinez, and Steve Fucking Bruce. Think about it - who'd have thought it would ever come to this?

Im backing RM as Ive rated him since his Swansea Im more worried about this american-continental european DOF (director? This isnt fucking Hollywood apart from Carras distribution) set up.

Fuck the owners tho the dalglish sacking bastadz.

If he had any sense and values the full backing of his chairman he would have chucked his hot coffee in JHs face Kingpin style and ran/swam back to Wigan as fast as his little gingerbred legs could carry him.

I still think its debateable that he will come to us under this set up, hope he can renegotiate the set up and Im hoping thats something to do with why we havnt announced a DOF yet.

Bruce:

Season 08/09

Daniel De Ridder Free Andreas Granqvist Signed

Olivier Kapo £3,500,000 David Cotterill Signed

Lee Cattermole £3,500,000 Carlo Nash Signed

Maynor Figueroa Signed Maynor Figueroa Signed

Ben Watson £2,000,000 Luke Ashworth Transfer

Charles N'Zogbia £6,000,000 Wilson Palacios £12,000,000

Emile Heskey £3,500,000

Ryan Taylor Signed

Total £15,000,000 £15,500,000 -£500,000

Season 07/08

Jason Koumas £5,300,000 Lee McCulloch £2,250,000

Michael Brown Signed Leighton Baines £6,000,000

Rachid Bouaouzan £300,000 David Unsworth Free

Salomon Olembe Free Caleb Folan £1,000,000

Wilson Palacios £1,000,000 Fitz Hall £700,000

Erik Edman £500,000 Denny Landzaat £1,000,000

Luis Antonio Valencia Signed Peter Moore Free

Marlon King £5,000,000 Julius Aghahowa Signed

Total £12,100,000 £10,950,000 £1,150,000

Martinez:

Season 11/12

Ali Al Habsi £4,000,000 Steven Caldwell Free

Albert Crusat Undisclosed Antonio Amaya £300,000

Shaun Maloney £1,000,000 Charles N'Zogbia £9,500,000

David Jones Free

Nouha Dicko Free

Jean Beausejour £3,000,000

Total £8,000,000 £9,800,000 -£1,800,000

Season 10/11

Antolin Alcaraz Free Tomasz Cywka Free

Mauro Boselli £6,500,000 Mario Melchiot Free

James Mc Arthur Signed Titus Bramble £1,000,000

Steven Caldwell Free Jason Scotland £750,000

Franco Di Santo £2,000,000

Conor Sammon £600,000

Total £9,100,000 £1,750,000 £7,350,000

Season 09/10

Jordi Gomez £1,700,000 Luis Antonio Valencia £16,000,000

Hendry Thomas Free Lewis Montrose Free

Jason Scotland £2,000,000 Lee Cattermole £6,000,000

James McCarthy Signed Michael Brown Signed

Antonio Amaya Signed

Mohamed Diame Signed

Steven Gohouri Signed

Gary Caldwell £500,000

Victor Moses £2,500,000

Total £6,700,000 £22,000,000 -£15,300,000

Perhaps I should have said comparable, the fact is Bruce outperformed Martinez with similar budgets.

Regardless of what people are saying, Martinez has NOT been offered the job.He has discussed the position, thats all.

I still think there are a few twists and turns left in this one.

Agreed! I think Whelan is stirring it as he knows there are number of our fans against a Martinez appointment. He wants to stir it to increase RM's unpopularity with us in a bid to keep him.

I know already as I write this, I'll get hassle for it...

But Liverpool were one of the prime instigators of the concept. Not with Sky, but ITV at the time, and they attempted to create a group of super clubs who'd grab the vast majority of TV money etc.

To put it bluntly, the top 5 or 6 clubs fancied having all the money and didn't like sharing it, so set about forming a group of their own with a longer term objective of forming an elite league.

In the end, the other clubs ended up retaliating (but also acknowledging there was money in this 'ere TV stuff) - and formed the PL.

United, Everton, Arsenal, and Spurs from memory were in that group (not sure about Spurs, but Alan Sugar played a pivotal role... since he was making Sky dishes... he craftily voted for Sky which ended up being a pivotal vote).

There's a real irony that for all the money Sky's brought to the game, clubs are arguably in a worse financial state than ever

Yes, it's ironic, but Sky can't be blamed for feeding money into the system, and clubs picking it up.

The direct blame lies with a booming banking industry, which is only too eager to come knocking on club's doors, with a 'hey see all that t.v. revenue'....'that's future income streams that guarantee you a nice fat juicy loan to do what you want with right now.'

MArtinez is the main reason behind the swansea turn around but this is conveniently forgotten but the gobshites on here

That's not really true is it?

All the main players for Swansea like Dyer, Sinclair, Graham, Sigurdsson and Vorm were signed by Rodgers and players like Allen and Britton (even though he left and went back) were there before Martinez.

It's not Martinez squad at all anymore and Rodgers is the one responsible for the excellent football that is played

Martinez is responsible for having a Wigan team get battered for two thirds of the season then save themselves by going on a good run. Not in Liverpools league this fella despite him coming across well with the media, this is going to be a Hodgson mark 2 for my money unless the person above him is a world beater

MArtinez is the main reason behind the swansea turn around but this is conveniently forgotten but the gobshites on here

You mean the turn around that got them promoted into the Premier League, after the play offs, after languishing in the Championship for two seasons?

Not exactly top flight football, and when they avoided relegation last season, Martinez had moved on. The guy has no proven history of working in a big club with a rich, successful history. He's a nobody; his team (regardless of whether it get's strengthened in the summer) will essentially be Kenny's and Steve Clarke's team, if he (Martinez) ends up with us, and THAT team, if it goes on to succeed, will completely vindicate The King.

We really do see different shit in this world...

Really? How else do you explain his eagerness to keep us all informed to the point of telling people of how much compensation he'd want? For me, if you've got a manager you want to keep, you wouldn't be telling the world he was in talks with other clubs, and you certainly wouldn't be informing people how much compensation you'd want. As you say, we all see things differently.

Really? How else do you explain his eagerness to keep us all informed to the point of telling people of how much compensation he'd want? For me, if you've got a manager you want to keep, you wouldn't be telling the world he was in talks with other clubs, and you certainly wouldn't be informing people how much compensation you'd want. As you say, we all see things differently.

Exactly the point, Martinez's record is inferior to Bruce's with comparable financial restrictions. Bruce is now back on the market, he's Whelan's self-confessed favourite manager and an opportunity has arisen for him to offload Martinez without having to pay a penny to get rid of him and actually receive several million in compensation. Bruce will be installed at Wigan the moment Martinez is out of the door.

Nothing Whelan has done could be considered as even making the slightest effort to try to keep hold of Martinez, in fact he's struggling to contain his delight.

I've nothing against Martinez, we can argue over his record and in reality keeping a club like Wigan in the Premiership is an achievement whomever is in charge. I just don't see anything remotely on his CV that suggests he suitable for managing a big club particularly one in decline.

Hodgson was more qualified for the job.

Exactly the point, Martinez's record is inferior to Bruce's with comparable financial restrictions. Bruce is now back on the market, he's Whelan's self-confessed favourite manager and an opportunity has arisen for him to offload Martinez without having to pay a penny to get rid of him and actually receive several million in compensation. Bruce will be installed at Wigan the moment Martinez is out of the door.

Nothing Whelan has done could be considered as even making the slightest effort to try to keep hold of Martinez, in fact he's struggling to contain his delight.

I've nothing against Martinez, we can argue over his record and in reality keeping a club like Wigan in the Premiership is an achievement whomever is in charge. I just don't see anything remotely on his CV that suggests he suitable for managing a big club particularly one in decline.

Hodgson was more qualified for the job.

Agreed, if martinez is such a good manager why have Norwich and Swansea overtaken them ( with style) and never even flirted with relegation , while Wigan have been absolutely shite all year except for a few do or die games at the end to stay up ?

A serious question should be put to FSG ,

If wigan had been relegated , would we still be on the verge of signing Martinez ?

Agreed, if martinez is such a good manager why have Norwich and Swansea overtaken them ( with style) and never even flirted with relegation , while Wigan have been absolutely shite all year except for a few do or die games at the end to stay up ?

A serious question should be put to FSG ,

If wigan had been relegated , would we still be on the verge of signing Martinez ?

An emphatic no I think. Basically a couple of wins at the back end of a horrendous season has given him a shout at getting the job.

Avoiding relegation three seasons running on a maximum wage of 20k a week a minimal transfer budget and average home crowds of 18,634.

Failing to qualify for the EL for two successive seasons with some players on 80k a week, at least two on over 100k a week, and a transfer spend of £110m, and average home gates of 44,253.

Scoring within five league goals of us, yet having spent £55m less on the forward line.

Which performance is better, which worse?

Sounds like Hodgson to me , we underperformed massively but two wrongs don't make a right.

I hope he doesn't get the job but if he does I will support him as long as all the matey shite with Ferguson stops .

Regardless of what people are saying, Martinez has NOT been offered the job.He has discussed the position, thats all.

I still think there are a few twists and turns left in this one.

It's as good as his I think. When the great propaganda machine that is LFC.tv runs as story specifically mentioning a manager alongside explicit backing from the club captain then there's a pretty high probability that manager is going to get the job.

Stevie on new boss rumours - Liverpool FC

I have just been going through Matinez's post match interviews from last season (I know that is really sad but it was that or go and mow the back garden).

The parallels between his and KDs interviews are striking "We didn't get what we deserved" was a recurring theme. A little worried that in a couple after Wigan had performed badly he trotted out the "players were a but leggy - been a tough week etc" line. This from a team that only played 40 competitive fixtures (38 PL, 1 CC and 1 FA Cup).

Things that never seemed to come up were discussions about game changing substitutions. Almost suggesting that he sets out his stall and sticks with it come rain or shine.

He is very good at the interviews - never seems to lose his cool even when he has been on the wrong end of some poor decisions.

An emphatic no I think. Basically a couple of wins at the back end of a horrendous season has given him a shout at getting the job.

Hes the very definition of "flavour of the month". That last few weeks of the season is what is getting him this job. There is no way he would be considered had he lost a couple of those games in that time and been relegated.