You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

Not really bothered either way mate.You are obviously an unconventional guy.

Who knows,we may be able to turn you into a red!!.

You are at least half way there already after all.

Ain't gonna happen. I watched Liverpool virtually every home game until I was about 10 cos my grandad worked there for many years. I still have a pair of Dalglish Gold boots signed by Kenny that he wangled... cos he couldn't get Peter Barnes ;-)

You pick your team, and that's that - but I chose City, ain't no going back!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't gonna happen. I watched Liverpool virtually every home game until I was about 10 cos my grandad worked there for many years. I still have a pair of Dalglish Gold boots signed by Kenny that he wangled... cos he couldn't get Peter Barnes ;-)

Welcome to Liverpool mate, best fans in the world!

Don't see the problem with views from fans outside our club, sometimes we need need it, a kind of 'step out side of yourself and have a look at the situation' job, sometimes our hearts rule our minds (add favoritism and blind bias).

Good luck, unless you are on a wind up, if that's the case then fuck off

He cud be worse, remember that arsenal fan?

Plus the enemy of my enemy is my freind, any man u hater is alright by me.

Don't get me started!

To be fair I don't hate them, I just can't abide that many of the fans have no notion of what it's like to not win things, and many of their fans are too young you appreciate that all things come to an end - eventually.

And ok... here's a criticism of SOME Liverpool fans - there's a fair few who have no concept of what it's like for the rest of the world. Even in a bad spell, you can expect Liverpool to nab a trophy every few years.... and I DO understand that's not deemed good enough for Liverpool, but still, it makes Liverpool fans bloody lucky in the grand scheme of things.

'Be thankful for what you've got' isn't a patronising phrase - it's a reminder. Even in these so called 'looming disaster' days, it's mid-table for God's sake - it's not second division!

Im not certain the crowd would be on his back if we made a poor start to the new season. But, Im pretty sure they would be on henry's and werner's backs if \ when they show their faces.

I think most fans virtually accept its a fait accompli that martinez barring hiccups is going to be our manager and, it's the owners who have lowered the managerial standards.

I hope you are right but I just can't see it going any way other than very badly for everyone - Board, management, players and fans.

But other than that I'm feeling really positive and optimistic

Peter Barnes,Corrigan and Watson to name a few.

You never achieved what you should of Ithink with the squad at that time.

One of the best goals I had ever seen was Tuarts overhead kick at wembley to.

Also remember thinking fucking hell that Dave Watson is fucking huge but also a ugly mofo to.

Asa Hartford to he was great player but didnt he have the hole in his heart?

Peter Barnes,Corrigan and Watson to name a few.

You never achieved what you should of Ithink with the squad at that time.

One of the best goals I had ever seen was Tuarts overhead kick at wembley to.

Also remember thinking fucking hell that Dave Watson is fucking huge but also a ugly mofo to.

Asa Hartford to he was great player abd didnt he have the hole in his heart?

Those were the days. Yes, Hartford played with Dalglish with Scotland hole in the heart an all.

The tragedy though.... was Liverpool were just reaching their peak when I stopped going (I was getting too big to sneak in!). Think Toshack was on his way out and Keegan coming in... it was about that era.

Course at that age, you don't really understand what you're witnessing.

I swear I'm not taking the piss now... but someone earlier mentioned only winning one league in donkeys years....

I'm mid 40s so it's only happened (to me) twice in a lifetime, and the first time was way before I was aware... so effectively once in a whole lifetime.

For those Liverpool fans my age, they'll remember loads of amazing times, but it got me thinking about about the ones my son's age. They've not had it in their lifetime.

There seems to be a distinct difference between the younger ones and the older ones (Liverpool fans). Obviously a few exceptions to the rule, but a lot of testosterone flying about.

One of the old traits of Liverpool's fans was being football through and through and having a sage view of the game as a whole. Those types seem to be getting a bit thinner on the ground. Still a few around mind you.

Im not certain the crowd would be on his back if we made a poor start to the new season. But, Im pretty sure they would be on henry's and werner's backs if \ when they show their faces.

I think most fans virtually accept its a fait accompli that martinez barring hiccups is going to be our manager and, it's the owners who have lowered the managerial standards.

thats an idea, an under whelming start will be met with the same enthusiasm as what hodgson got, but instead of aiming it at the manager lets aim it at the owners.

Don't know if this is a fabricated memory but around that time did we nearly sign one of footballs legendary pissheads and gamblers Frank Worthington?

Must have had a look. He was quite highly rated but as you say, was living a George Best lifestyle. Him, and Bowles, Marsh and the like.

I can recall tales of Liverpool players enjoying a few antics, but I don't think it went as far as playing whilst pissed.

I have a feeling Frank ended up playing into his mid to late 40's at anywhere that would have him.

I've just been readin some old programmes that I've found buried and one thing that has struck me instantly is the language. i don't mean it's fuckin alien but the game was spoken about in laymans (?) terms. It was in the language of footballing men. Football as it was, was all about giving your best, being the best you could. And that was the fans speaking. Managers and owners had their appreciation for the fans participation and ultimately realised that's what the game was about. But that day as long gone ever since the PL and sky ruined it. The problem is, I think we're the only club that has gone against the grain and not got sucked into the bullshit from day one. We've resented that change in the game and rightly so. But ultimately we've lost that battle and fell behind. We're now in the position of finally lining up behind all the other clubs who Took to it straight away.only we're 20 years too late. It's taken us to get this low to modernise so we have to expect time to rectify things. I hope FSG can do it. I hope us as fans can get behind it. And i hope I'm not too bevied for this not to make any sense!

The worrying thing for me, above all else with regard to Martinez, is just how eager his current chairman appears to want to let everyone know he's in talks with us. To me, it's like he can't wait to get shut of him, and the compo is just a fucking bonus.

I've just been readin some old programmes that I've found buried and one thing that has struck me instantly is the language. i don't mean it's fuckin alien but the game was spoken about in laymans (?) terms. It was in the language of footballing men. Football as it was, was all about giving your best, being the best you could. And that was the fans speaking. Managers and owners had their appreciation for the fans participation and ultimately realised that's what the game was about. But that day as long gone ever since the PL and sky ruined it. The problem is, I think we're the only club that has gone against the grain and not got sucked into the bullshit from day one. We've resented that change in the game and rightly so. But ultimately we've lost that battle and fell behind. We're now in the position of finally lining up behind all the other clubs who Took to it straight away.only we're 20 years too late. It's taken us to get this low to modernise so we have to expect time to rectify things. I hope FSG can do it. I hope us as fans can get behind it. And i hope I'm not too bevied for this not to make any sense!

Steve Heighway used to have house in Ainsdale... nothing fancy really, might even have been a bungalow not far from the station... I can remember seeing him just walking about.

You can't get near players these days.

You see, this is one of my gripes and interests in LFC's owners. Putting aside all the partisan crap - this really IS the real deal, a genuine world renowned club becoming a 'brand'. How did that happen? HOW?

People think I'm having a dig at Liverpool FC... I'm not, it's just one more example of how fans aren't grasping that 'their' club is no such thing. They are punters now. Emotionally attached liked junkies who'll keep paying for their next Liverpool (or United, or City) fix, and owners are all too willing to try and exploit it.

It's brilliant when they come in like knights in shining armour, toss money at things and improve the situation - we deluded fans lap it up and are happy just to be winning again.

And it's made US the same as them... "oh now, a lowly manager just won't do... we want a NAME!!!".... "We need a better striker, a bigger striker, a more expensive one" etc.

It's got us saying "it's disgusting to be paying 250K a week, a modest 100K is just fine" 100K a WEEK? think about that, really... many people's homes aren't worth that. In ONE week.

Phil Thompson recalls taking the European Cup down the pub with him.

Where have those days gone?

They WERE better.

Don't disagree with the sentiments but FSG do not appear to have any patence at all.

With you 100% re Sky - they have stolen our game and turned a very healthy profit from us for the privelege. A lot will argue that we wouldn't have the players in the PL that we do if it wasn't for Sky (true) but they are a shower of fair weather mecenaries who I wouldn't be sad to see the back of.

The worrying thing for me, above all else with regard to Martinez, is just how eager his current chairman appears to want to let everyone know he's in talks with us. To me, it's like he can't wait to get shut of him, and the compo is just a fucking bonus.

Caveat emptor.

Don't disagree with the sentiments but FSG do not appear to have any patence at all.

With you 100% re Sky - they have stolen our game and turned a very healthy profit from us for the privelege. A lot will argue that we wouldn't have the players in the PL that we do if it wasn't for Sky (true) but they are a shower of fair weather mecenaries who I wouldn't be sad to see the back of.

As long as all the countries did the same, it'd level out and those great players would still exist only not able to command quite as much money - but they'd still be very well off indeed.

The money's helped improve safety and standards and for fans to see their team when they can't get tickets etc, but it's getting beyond a joke now... there's even talk (I kid you not) of having a Premier League play-off (like Rugby League). Any excuse for more games.

We kid ourselves with many of the foreigners that they've come because they have an affinity with the club etc, cos it's just too distressing to actually acknowledge we're watching entertainment and not sport.

But we'll be back every Saturday!... we're junkies really.

I don't think Kenny was their 1st choice at the time. They went with what us fans went with and it started well, so they gave him a season. I think their main aim is to be the biggest club in England and winning the league cup and nearly winning the FA Cup doesn't have he same appeal to foreign owners as winning the Prem (or being in the top 4) or winning the Champions League (or even being in it).

We have to face facts, we are not in the top 4 anymore, we have to start looking to people who will get us there, not people who will only work for us when we are there (top 4 that is).

We really do see different shit in this world...

I know already as I write this, I'll get hassle for it...

But Liverpool were one of the prime instigators of the concept. Not with Sky, but ITV at the time, and they attempted to create a group of super clubs who'd grab the vast majority of TV money etc.

To put it bluntly, the top 5 or 6 clubs fancied having all the money and didn't like sharing it, so set about forming a group of their own with a longer term objective of forming an elite league.

In the end, the other clubs ended up retaliating (but also acknowledging there was money in this 'ere TV stuff) - and formed the PL.

United, Everton, Arsenal, and Spurs from memory were in that group (not sure about Spurs, but Alan Sugar played a pivotal role... since he was making Sky dishes... he craftily voted for Sky which ended up being a pivotal vote).

There's a real irony that for all the money Sky's brought to the game, clubs are arguably in a worse financial state than ever

I don't think Kenny was their 1st choice at the time. They went with what us fans went with and it started well, so they gave him a season. I think their main aim is to be the biggest club in England and winning the league cup and nearly winning the FA Cup doesn't have he same appeal to foreign owners as winning the Prem (or being in the top 4) or winning the Champions League (or even being in it).

We have to face facts, we are not in the top 4 anymore, we have to start looking to people who will get us there, not people who will only work for us when we are there (top 4 that is).

So a man who has just avoided relegation three times is the one to do it?

I lost 20 quid to an Arsenal fan making a bet around January that you'd finish in the top 4. You were just starting to look formidable again, and I didn't have faith in them (Arsenal).

I think most teams didn't fancy playing Liverpool last season, because we could see that you COULD turn it on big time and give someone a game. It was the consistency that seemed to be missing more than anything, and losing Suarez was an awful blow.

Looking back now, of course it doesn't make for good reading, but at the time, nobody thought Liverpool were a pushover.

A couple of great signings and some consistently decent performances and you're back in the top 6. A couple more bad signings, or unrest in the camp, and then you start losing your better players who get fed up.

There's every chance Spurs might fall away a bit now, and it's not out of the question that Chelsea start rebuilding as soon as next season.

Arsenal could lose a key player, or just go back to awful / brilliant / awful / brilliant mode.

Maybe things aren't so dire after all, with the wind in your direction top 6 is on, and even top 4 if a couple of other teams decide to have their 'dip' next year.

I can't even say City and United are that predictable. United look decidedly iffy at times this year, and still seems a miracle they were 30 seconds away from glory.

And City? God knows... Once can be a one off... doing as well again could be much harder.

Going back to the good old days...

I can remember being a kid... must have been about 1978, when Liverpool hardly ever lost at home for a couple of seasons, but because I was a kid, me and my mates genuinely believed Liverpool had never ever been beaten at home! It's making me laugh now. People genuinely just discount a Liverpool away game - no points to be had at Anfield, it was just a fundamental law of football!

Is that poor home form something to do with the fans / tension do you think? (genuine question)

So a man who has just avoided relegation three times is the one to do it?

Avoiding relegation three seasons running on a maximum wage of 20k a week a minimal transfer budget and average home crowds of 18,634.

Failing to qualify for the EL for two successive seasons with some players on 80k a week, at least two on over 100k a week, and a transfer spend of £110m, and average home gates of 44,253.

Scoring within five league goals of us, yet having spent £55m less on the forward line.

Which performance is better, which worse?