You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

Whelan said: "My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department. There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

They will be the choice of one Mrs Trellis, of Prestatyn.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelan said: "My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department. There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

I think that's a dogshit idea. Whose to say whoever signs the plays will be as good as anybody else. Surely the manager the person who picks the team builds it to his philosophy knows what he needs. What if our new dof turns out to be fucking wank and the manager is good but can't work with the shit that's forced upon him. Fuck me fsg why make things much harder than they need to be. Hire a manager and back him, you hired the fucker that's how football works trust the manager to manage the team.

You'd think that if the owners were going to sack a massively popular manager, the least they'd do is replace him with an impressive alternative. Bringing in Martinez would simply confirm what the sacking of Dalglish suggested: the owners don't give a fuck about the fans...

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more! They appointed Kenny, they gave him a two year contract, which they have said was not what they planned. People need to take a step back and see what the plans are before judgements are made.

We (fans) aren't quite clear yet on what the structure is. So we don't know what they would be abandoning, do we? They are looking clueless now. You're bringing up names that have been linked with the club just because they've been linked. Yes, we'll have to see because no-one knows and we going on all kinds of variables. All of them unknown. Suspicions.

Granted, looks like we're starting from point zero. FSG are trying to build something. But it doesn't mean that I have to want Martinez to be a part of that simply because other people are putting him forward and that I should accept him. That's my bottom line especially when I have enough reasons based on empirical evidence that I shouldn't want him as manager or coach or whatever the title is up for grabs. I want the best available, and I don't think he's it.

Well I think it is a reasonable assumption to say that they want a Director of Sports, as Ayre has said so! So we do have a good idea of what the structure might look like. And I think you would have to be deluded to think they are not going to speak to Martinez, which means he is a consideration.

Your evidence is based on what he has done at Wigan, as a young manager. Not what he has done as a coach with a better team. Nobody is arguing it is not a risk, but I am struggling to understand all this anger directed at FSG as they are attempting to limit the financial disparity between us and other teams and to do that you need to be creative and you need to think differently and unfortunately you have to take risks.

In the absence of Money and the absence of a top level manager, we have to approach this differently.

I think that's a dogshit idea. Whose to say whoever signs the plays will be as good as anybody else. Surely the manager the person who picks the team builds it to his philosophy knows what he needs. What if our new dof turns out to be fucking wank and the manager is good but can't work with the shit that's forced upon him. Fuck me fsg why make things much harder than they need to be. Hire a manager and back him, you hired the fucker that's how football works trust the manager to manage the team.

Spot on. Its the manager's neck on the line if things go wrong, so let the players be the guys he wants not who some other fucker wants. I hope that cunt Whelan is wrong on this. Ive no problem with them recommending him players, but he should have the final say if they are going to be signed or not.

We (fans) aren't quite clear yet on what the structure is. So we don't know what they would be abandoning, do we? They are looking clueless now. You're bringing up names that have been linked with the club just because they've been linked. Yes, we'll have to see because no-one knows and we going on all kinds of variables. All of them unknown. Suspicions.

Granted, looks like we're starting from point zero. FSG are trying to build something. But it doesn't mean that I have to want Martinez to be a part of that simply because other people are putting him forward and that I should accept him. That's my bottom line especially when I have enough reasons based on empirical evidence that I shouldn't want him as manager or coach or whatever the title is up for grabs. I want the best available, and I don't think he's it.

You're asking for 'the best lottery ticket'. You won't know what / who that is until after the fact.

And if you want the one who's done the best elsewhere and presumably stands a better chance of doing the same at Liverpool - who would that be?

There's at least 10 names in THAT pot depending on who you ask.

I wish FSG would actually come clean with their vision instead of the usual politicians answers.

If there's no many, say it.

If it's the best money can buy, say it.

If it's a 5 year plan, starting from ground zero (mid table) and wanting to get back in the top 6 in 2 years and top 4 within 4 years... say it.

I don't think they know. I think their brand acquisition in the 'EPL' has proven to be a bit more difficult to work than they anticipated. I think they assumed G&H couldn't hack it, and that they could kick the club back into shape with ruthless efficiency... only that's not happened.

I think their shiny new car (LFC) now has a couple of scratches on it, and although it's still a sexy car, a little of the enthusiasm has worn off.

They've spend a pretty petty on keeping it nice and shiny, but now the niggles are appearing, they don't want to keep waxing it every week, and they're worried about the fuel consumption too.

They've bought a Ferrari, but didn't take any proper driving lessons, and don't like running costs.

Welcome to the 'soccer' FSG.

Fucking hell this is going to end in disaster. I dont know what he brings to the table and if its right about signing players. I dont think that will work either.Dave whelan hes the cunt when you take a bird out that is your bit on the side and he sees you in the pub and carnt wait to drop you in it cunt,i wouldnt show him where a birds nest is

Spot on. Its the manager's neck on the line if things go wrong, so let the players be the guys he wants not who some other fucker wants. I hope that cunt Whelan is wrong on this. Ive no problem with them recommending him players, but he should have the final say if they are going to be signed or not.

Well you can fuck off then can't you!?

Welcome aboard Mr van Gaal, your first duty will be to silence Mr Whelan.............permanently!

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more! They appointed Kenny, they gave him a two year contract, which they have said was not what they planned. People need to take a step back and see what the plans are before judgements are made.

Well I think it is a reasonable assumption to say that they want a Director of Sports, as Ayre has said so! So we do have a good idea of what the structure might look like. And I think you would have to be deluded to think they are not going to speak to Martinez, which means he is a consideration.

Your evidence is based on what he has done at Wigan, as a young manager. Not what he has done as a coach with a better team. Nobody is arguing it is not a risk, but I am struggling to understand all this anger directed at FSG as they are attempting to limit the financial disparity between us and other teams and to do that you need to be creative and you need to think differently and unfortunately you have to take risks.

In the absence of Money and the absence of a top level manager, we have to approach this differently.

I'm not angry towards FSG nor have I ever expressed my feelings against appointing him as a manager in an angry way. I have nothing more to base my opinion on him other than what he's done or achieved. I don't get why you have to accept that we can't get a top level manager or how you're defining it. I am far from deluded on what we can and cannot expect, but I am far from comfortable with accepting 'whoever is out there who wants the job' as a viable argument in favour of Martinez. We can take risks. But it doesn't have to be Russian roulette? If the manager's credentials are keeping a club out of relegation on a low budget (and that is all you can measure Martinez by), then that is not a yardstick by which I wish to measure the future of this club.

Then stop posting about him.

So because your fans are uniformed. Shall we compare Mancini's managerial career to Martinez's shall we?

Fiorentina

Coppa Italia: 2000–01

Lazio

Coppa Italia: 2003–04

Internazionale

Serie A (3): 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08

Coppa Italia (2): 2004–05, 2005–06

Supercoppa Italiana (2): 2005, 2006

Martinez:

Football League One (1): 2007–08

How the fuck was Mancini not a big name?

1) I didn't say he wasn't a big name.

2) The fact that you've had to cut and paste that from Wikipedia is precisely what I'm talking about. You couldn't real off his history any more than most fans could - you had to look it up.

Have you seen the hits for Van Gaal of late? that's because everybody's off to look at his stats from bloody wikipedia again, and rattling it off like they actually KNOW his inside leg measurements.

Mancini was a some Italian guy who'd won a couple of cups in Italy, and probably better known as a player than a manager.

He was the equivalent (perhaps) of Martin O'Neill over here. If you asked Italians about O'Neill, they'd go look him up.

I think people need to calm down a little bit. Just because Martinez is being interviewed, it doesn't automatically mean that he's getting the job. Usually, it would, but as we know, these owners are using a different approach and want to speak to a few managers before deciding. This is just the first of a few interviews in my opinion.

If it was to be between Martinez and Rodgers, I have to say that i'd much prefer Rodgers.

I'm not angry towards FSG nor have I ever expressed my feelings against appointing him as a manager in an angry way. I have nothing more to base my opinion on him other than what he's done or achieved. I don't get why you have to accept that we can't get a top level manager or how you're defining it. I am far from deluded on what we can and cannot expect, but I am far from comfortable with accepting 'whoever is out there who wants the job' as a viable argument in favour of Martinez. We can take risks. But it doesn't have to be Russian roulette? If the manager's credentials are keeping a club out of relegation on a low budget (and that is all you can measure Martinez by), then that is not a yardstick by which I wish to measure the future of this club.

The other part of Martinez's experience which many are overlooking, is the fact that he has experience of getting young cheap players in, and selling them for good profits.

I am not for one minute suggesting accepting 'whoever is out there who wants the job' and I never suggested that at all! You have focussed on this credentials being 'keeping Wigan out of relegation', but I think that is based on nothing other than how you personally percieve his strengths, they can just as likely be looking at the style of football and his ability to 'coach' a team to play that style of football. They maybe thinking that those skills are transferable and will improve with better players and a stronger support/coaching set up and that with a DoF identifying players his need to know about the 'top end' of the player market is negated. As a manager, I will be backing you 100% (well 80%), but I can see what they are trying to do, and I think it is a positive move.

But I am struggling to understand who exactly this top level manager is? And that is ignoring the fact that they don't want a manager, everyone keeps saying 'manager' they don't want one. We have had managers for the past 23 years and had one credible title challenge in that time, so why shouldn't they be looking for different ways of trying to achieve that?

I hope to fuck he proves us wrong and best of luck to him but Robbie Savage was right, we are a top 8 club.

We shouldnt really be surprised though apart from 2 singular amazing years we have been mismanaged from the top and the bottom for two decades, this is just a culmination of it all.

The other part of Martinez's experience which many are overlooking, is the fact that he has experience of getting young cheap players in, and selling them for good profits.

I'm sure he isn't the only one to have spotted a young player, developed him and then sold him on for a profit. It doesn't really set him apart.

Agree with that.

Although Martinez did get Swansea promoted didn't he?... still the essential facts remain, he can ONLY be judged on where he's been, and whilst admirable results, those clubs aren't comparable with Liverpool.

Therefore, nobody's to say he couldn't become the next Shankly, it's just a matter of risk assessment, and it's too risky to appoint him.

There's clearly no guarantees with anyone, just balance of who's available, what the terms are, media friendly, how much they share a 'vision', and credentials.

Put that into FSG's little spreadsheet decision maker:

Available 9/10

Terms 10/10

Media Friendly 8/10

Shared vision 10/10

Credentials 3/10

I joke about it, but it's probably not far from the truth, and that's why he's scoring top.