You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

don't buy into that crap "that its to early". You either have it or you don't

For some it could be true, and for some not i guess. But my main concern with appointing an up and comer is that they havent got the experience nor the credentials. Why should we gamble with a name when there are proven top managers available ?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Times' football editor Tony Evans insists there is no chance of Louis Van Gaal and Andre Villes-Boas linking up at Liverpool

Tony Evans: claims that the most likely managerial appointment at this moment is either Swansea boss BRodgers or Wigan manager R Martinez.

Where did this come from?

For some it could be true, and for some not i guess. But my main concern with appointing an up and comer is that they havent got the experience nor the credentials. Why should we gamble with a name when there are proven top managers available ?

who like?

brendan rodgers would be a fantastic appointment

who like?

brendan rodgers would be a fantastic appointment

There are hardly any guarantees for that, obviously there are no guarantees for anyone. But Rodgers experience as a manager comes from Watford, Reading and Swansea. There is a world of difference between that and Liverpool. Compare that to the likes of Boas, Van Gaal, Capello and Benitez. I certainly would agree Rodgers is a name for the future within management, but i wouldnt be confident it'd be a successful appointment at this time.

Evans has a lot to say/tweet on this whole matter, as one would expect of a fan. However, I wonder how his paymasters feel about his constant posturing. He's tied his colours very clearly to the Rafa mast, which isn't going to happen, and is getting involved in quite a few spats. He's worse than Joey bloody Barton.

Evans has a lot to say/tweet on this whole matter, as one would expect of a fan. However, I wonder how his paymasters feel about his constant posturing. He's tied his colours very clearly to the Rafa mast, which isn't going to happen, and is getting involved in quite a few spats. He's worse than Joey bloody Barton.

yes he is absolutely behind Rafa being reappointed 100% but also states it won't happen - which will have this place in over drive again given the amount of support he gets on these boards

There are hardly any guarantees for that, obviously there are no guarantees for anyone. But Rodgers experience as a manager comes from Watford, Reading and Swansea. There is a world of difference between that and Liverpool. Compare that to the likes of Boas, Van Gaal, Capello and Benitez. I certainly would agree Rodgers is a name for the future within management, but i wouldnt be confident it'd be a successful appointment at this time.

cappello no thanks can't even speak english. how long was he England manager.

benitez is a non starter

rodgers is gonna be the next big thing

cappello no thanks can't even speak english. how long was he England manager.

benitez is a non starter

rodgers is gonna be the next big thing

I'd might prefer Rodgers over Capello aswell, but that is based on a hunch rather than what logically makes sense in terms of experience and credentials. If i owned a football club of this stature, i would not feel comfortable taking a gamble on the likes of Martinez or Rodgers when there are proven top managers available.

I'l be fuming if we appoint Martinez. The thought is filling me with rage as I have that feeling he will get it.

I stand by what i said before , i Believe Martinez was interviewed when they were over last time.

Of those currently left in the picture (as far as we know) I would favour Rodgers, then Villas-Boas, then Martinez.

The idea of appointing Van Gaal above the "manager" seems fatally flawed to me though. Either give him the actual manager's job - which I wouldn't have a problem with - or appoint someone who isn't going to create huge amounts of confusion as to who is actually running things.

The thing which worries me most about Martinez getting the job is some of the stuff I read on forums about the possibility including this one.

I am in the camp which says that Kenny should have had a year more and am now very worried that in a years time we will be in a worse place than where we are now. Whereas if Kenny had stayed i am sure we would have improved a bit with better signings this summer and better performances from others next season. also we could not be so unlucky again..

Who to get in? - to me all those mentioned have issues and I personally like RM and think he will prob end up being a good manger. If its with us great!! I certainly don't see him as being in the RH level of unsuitablity for the LFC job. I accept tho that it would be a big risk as he has never been at a top club before with the expectation that will bring. The idea that the big team rookie RM is more suitable to be LFC manager next season than KD seems almost bizarre but that is where we are people and we have to react to where we are and not where we would like to be

I just hope if he does get the job that the negativty that the fans are expressing now is put away and we give him a chance - cos who knows he may be good.

Of those currently left in the picture (as far as we know) I would favour Rodgers, then Villas-Boas, then Martinez.

The idea of appointing Van Gaal above the "manager" seems fatally flawed to me though. Either give him the actual manager's job - which I wouldn't have a problem with - or appoint someone who isn't going to create huge amounts of confusion as to who is actually running things.

Me either. Out of all the people we've been linked with in the past week, he's probably got the most impressive c.v and the best credentials.