You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

The NFT bollocks didn't work and was an abject failure, don't fuck around with this.

Ornstein: Liverpool considering crypto shirt sponsor

Liverpool are in talks over a new shirt sponsorship deal as their £40 million-a-year contract with Standard Chartered is set to expire in May 2023. And although discussions are continuing about extending their partnership, the club are also talking to firms from sectors including electronics, media and tourism.

Among those parties, The Athletic can reveal, are companies from the cryptocurrency sector. They include a crypto exchange firm — a platform to buy and sell digital currency — and a blockchain platform (a decentralised computer network that underpins cryptocurrencies).

Don’t accept a sponsor from a cryptocurrency firm because of the NFT stuff Liverpool did? Not sure that makes too much sense, though be honest. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Don’t accept a sponsor from a cryptocurrency firm because of the NFT stuff Liverpool did? Not sure that makes too much sense, though be honest. 

Plenty of crypto based involvement in football at the moment is falling on it's arse, be it NFT's or Crypto itself, coupled with the clubs own first attempts at working in the space it should give the club pause for thought when getting into this area of business.

The club should be staying away from gambling sponsors and crypto/NFT's for the foreseeable future.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Plenty of crypto based involvement in football at the moment is falling on it's arse, be it NFT's or Crypto itself, coupled with the clubs own first attempts at working in the space it should give the club pause for thought when getting into this area of business.

That's quite different from accepting a sponsor from a company though, isn't it? There's no real correlation. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That's quite different from accepting a sponsor from a company though, isn't it? There's no real correlation. 

It should seriously consider ANY involvement from sponsorship to direct involvement.

Man City have had to backtrack in the past 6 months on Crypto sponsorship with 3key because it was bogus and their latest crypto sponsorship "appears to be offering a product to UK consumers which is banned by the UK Financial Conduct Authority because of likely “harm from sudden and unexpected losses”

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

It should seriously consider ANY involvement from sponsorship to direct involvement.

Man City have had to backtrack in the past 6 months on Crypto sponsorship with 3key because it was bogus and their latest crypto sponsorship "appears to be offering a product to UK consumers which is banned by the UK Financial Conduct Authority because of likely “harm from sudden and unexpected losses”

As with all sponsors, they have to check out an be legit, but as long as that and the money is there, I don't see much of an issue. Cryptocurrency isn't some hocus-pocus scam (NFTs are... cough... less legit), and there's the potential for a very lucrative deal. If not, fuck them off. Mate, the point I'm making is that we shouldn't rule it out because of some weird NFT shit the club pulled. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

As with all sponsors, they have to check out an be legit, but as long as that and the money is there, I don't see much of an issue. Cryptocurrency isn't some hocus-pocus scam (NFTs are... cough... less legit), and there's the potential for a very lucrative deal. If not, fuck them off. Mate, the point I'm making is that we shouldn't rule it out because of some weird NFT shit the club pulled. 

No, we should rule it out for all the other reasons that crypto is shit and crypto in football has proven itself to be shit. It's so poorly regulated at the moment that clubs would be mental to get involved.

We can still get a gambling sponsor as it stands, doubt the club will though given what could happen down the road.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

No, we should rule it out for all the other reasons that crypto is shit and crypto in football has proven itself to be shit. It's so poorly regulated at the moment that clubs would be mental to get involved.

We can still get a gambling sponsor as it stands, doubt the club will though given what could happen down the road.

Ah, I guess we just disagree then.

35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I suspect he means 70m a season for a length of two years? It would be strange for us to go backwards whilst we've been doing so well. 

Yes. There was talk of us accepting a record shirt deal last week around the £58m Real Madrid get so seems weird that we would then accept one for £35m a season. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Yes. There was talk of us accepting a record shirt deal last week around the £58m Real Madrid get so seems weird that we would then accept one for £35m a season. 

We're being paid in Doge Coin, it might only be 35m now, but it could be 100 million if we can get Elon Musk to tweet about it.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't have a problem with this if it weren't for the fact that I have zero faith in the club hierarchy doing this properly. There are legit crypto companies, but based on how they've handled it so far I get the impression they will jump in with anybody and that is how they will end up getting burned. The NFT stuff was dumb from the get go (and I'm not as anti NFT as others) and tells you they have no understanding and just chasing the buck. Unless it's someone like FTX who are legit they are better off steering clear IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Wouldn't have a problem with this if it weren't for the fact that I have zero faith in the club hierarchy doing this properly. There are legit crypto companies, but based on how they've handled it so far I get the impression they will jump in with anybody and that is how they will end up getting burned. The NFT stuff was dumb from the get go (and I'm not as anti NFT as others) and tells you they have no understanding and just chasing the buck. Unless it's someone like FTX who are legit they are better off steering clear IMO. 

The club hierarchy are pretty astute, and a mixture of multimillionaires and billionaires. They’ve turned the club from a bit of a tin pot organisation to around where the Mancs are. You might not trust them but they’ve got plenty of credit in the bank in my view. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

The club hierarchy are pretty astute, and a mixture of multimillionaires and billionaires. They’ve turned the club from a bit of a tin pot organisation to around where the Mancs are. You might not trust them but they’ve got plenty of credit in the bank in my view. 

Whilst you're right and they are generally astute they have also been prone to some massive tone deaf errors of judgement. I could just see them ending up with egg on their face again with this and the recent NFT stuff doesn't inspire confidence that they really have any understanding on what they are doing.

It's weird how City, another well run club also got caught out. I've dabbled in crypto for awhile and have absolutely no idea what 3key is. Just seem strange that the due diligence button gets switched off when jumping into bed with crypto companies.

8 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Whilst you're right and they are generally astute they have also been prone to some massive tone deaf errors of judgement. I could just see them ending up with egg on their face again with this and the recent NFT stuff doesn't inspire confidence that they really have any understanding on what they are doing.

It's weird how City, another well run club also got caught out. I've dabbled in crypto for awhile and have absolutely no idea what 3key is. Just seem strange that the due diligence button gets switched off when jumping into bed with crypto companies.

How could we get burned with upfront payments for sponsorship? I mean, any more than other companies like Standard Chartered or whatever. I might be missing something but this isn’t fucking around with crypto, it’s accepting sponsorship from a company, just like always. 

50 minutes ago, Gooch said:

City are the dodgiest financial club in the world.

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

City are the dodgiest financial club in the world.

Well yeah that goes without saying, but they're usually pretty savvy in the day to day running of things/general decision making etc

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

How could we get burned with upfront payments for sponsorship? I mean, any more than other companies like Standard Chartered or whatever. I might be missing something but this isn’t fucking around with crypto, it’s accepting sponsorship from a company, just like always. 

More from a PR standpoint than any financials is what I was getting at. Crypto is pretty unpopular from a mainstream perspective at the moment and is under the spotlight more than most. I don't agree with some of reasons but thats just the way it is for now.

Liverpool are in talks to secure an £80million-a-year shirt sponsorship deal, a package that would be the most lucrative in football. The club’s arrangement with Standard Chartered concludes at the end of the 2022-23 season and it is understood talks to extend with improved terms have started.

Liverpool have the biggest selling shirt in football according to merchandise analysts, with club officials expecting sales to pass two million for the first time this season. #LFC [mail]

37 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Liverpool have the biggest selling shirt in football according to merchandise analysts, with club officials expecting sales to pass two million for the first time this season. #LFC [mail]

An impressive stat.