You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

11 hours ago, aws said:

Take their riches away and put City back in the Championship and I suspect that most on here would be pretty happy with our squad. Everything is viewed through a distorted lens these days.  

It's quite sad, really.

We're the closest team to City, after having to play literally our last chance saloon midfield at Spurs (where we drew) and a depleted team at Chelsea (where we drew).

That Leicester game wasn't a total anomaly either. 1 or 2 more of them will happen between now and May. For City too.

And if City win it, what's the big deal? Why is that such a shocker?

I'm really enjoying the season, and I think I'm going to really enjoy the rest of it too.

I smell a trophy or two.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

This. It's like Dave said on a podcast: if you want our club to spend like city then you dont have grounds to complain about how much city spend.

The usual retort is 'we dont want to spend like city, just buy a few players.' So we buy Thiago, Konate, Jota and Tsimikas but Thiago is shit and a liability aparrently. Tsimikas is 'only' a full back even if he is the cover for Robbo people have clamoured for.Oh and we sold Countinho to pay for van Dijk, Alli when the little shit decided he didnt want the fans love here, he dreamed of playing for Barcelona.

I keep saying it, the issue isnt our owners, it is city's M.O.

There's a giant chasm between "spending like City" and having hardly any net spend. Somewhere in the middle would be nice - seeing as we're the 5th richest club in world football. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Under Moore's, we had a net spend of approx 20 million. He sold the club because he realised this wouldn't be enough to compete. I wonder what that would be nowadays, taking inflation into account. 

Dreaming  of the days of having 20 million net spend doesn't mean I want an oil state to own us, no matter how many times people say it.

Edit: 20 million in 2007 is approx 29.5 in today's money 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Under Moore's, we had a net spend of approx 20 million. He sold the club because he realised this wouldn't be enough to compete. I wonder what that would be nowadays, taking inflation into account. 

Dreaming  of the days of having 20 million net spend doesn't mean I want an oil state to own us, no matter how many times people say it.

Edit: 20 million in 2007 is approx 29.5 in today's money 

Moore's also run the club like a corner shop. While H&G were a fucking nightmare, they hired Ayre who was actually a very efficient marketing director and our revenues boomed which continued in recent years. Our turnover in 06/07 was 133m. We now do about 500m and that includes an unfinished league winning season with covid as the year ended in May 31st. 

13 hours ago, Boss said:

There's a giant chasm between "spending like City" and having hardly any net spend. Somewhere in the middle would be nice - seeing as we're the 5th richest club in world football. 

No, there really isnt. This is the misconception that's never quantified. What's acceptable compared to city spending £100m on a single player? Or, them spending £50m on a full back? Or them spending £50m on a player who sits on the bench and makes a few last minute sub appearances?

People keep on saying we dont spend and the owners take money out of the club. So where did the £140m countinho money go? Net spend was zero there as we spent virtually all of it on van Dijk and Alli.

We bought Jota for a down payment of £4m rising to £40m+. We bought Thiago for, what,  £25m? Oh, but he's shit \ always injured \ too old. We bought Konate for £36m and didnt even sell to buy.

• Downvote 2

Just now, dockers_strike said:

No, there really isnt. This is the misconception that's never quantified. What's acceptable compared to city spending £100m on a single player? Or, them spending £50m on a full back? Or them spending £50m on a player who sits on the bench and makes a few last minute sub appearances?

People keep on saying we dont spend and the owners take money out of the club. So where did the £140m countinho money go? We bought Jota for a down payment of £4m rising to £40m+. We bought Thiago for, what,  £25m? Oh, but he's shit \ always injured \ too old. We bought Konate for £36m and didnt even sell to buy.

Can you please show us where anyone has said on this forum that the owners are taking money out of the club? Plenty of people have talked about how much money they have made (about 3bn dollars at the last count). 

That post is one of the biggest piles of serfdom shit I've read on this forum. 

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Haha, no one has said the owners are taking money out of the club!? I call that fucking myopia of the highest order.

No.

I’m not sure anybody has said FSG are taking money out the club but there have been numerous posts questioning, for example, the amount we spend on wages and annual our accounts. 

On Konaté, we probably got most of it back from Wilson, Shaqiri, Awoniyi & Grujic. 

If you want to confuse people, ask them how we funded the £70m on Jota, Thiago and Tsmiskas or even better,  ask them where the £110m on Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri came from, that Coutinho money only stretches so far…

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Solanke, Ings, Ward = £50m plus. Hoever’s part in the Jota payment plan? 
We all know money has come in whatever your thoughts on spending are.

Didn't we get about 15 million for Ibe? And a good wedge for that Australian left back? 

Regardless of the minutiae, the overall net spend figures speak for themselves. Minus a couple of million since 2018? Next level parsimony.

48 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

So we sold no one last summer?

So from that link from @VERBAL DIARRHEA , it's this, plus the additional money we got because of the genius of Michael Edwards putting a sell on clause into Danny Ings deal to Southampton. 

Edit, hahaha... Just realised you answered your own question!

Screenshot_20220104-183505.jpg