You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Make your profit and sell up , please, FSG. Thanks for the respite from those other useless Yanks but please go asap. cheers

Agree.

If they admit that they can't compete, and that they underestimated the size of the challenge here, then fine. I can understand that, but please go and sell top somebody who can.

Agree.

If they admit that they can't compete, and that they underestimated the size of the challenge here, then fine. I can understand that, but please go and sell top somebody who can.

Can it be done? That's the question.

Chelsea and City aren't going to be making profits (certainly not for the next few years).

United's 'profits' are complicated... they're servicing debt.

Arsenal are charging a bloody fortune, and that's going to pay off the stadium (seemingly)

I think there lies the REAL crux of the problem.... who CAN make a genuine profit and be competitive at the very top?

This new breed of owners (like Chelsea and City) are using football clubs for a different type of 'return' - effectively an advertising platform for Abramovich himself, or Abu Dhabi businesses.

Can it be done? That's the question.

Chelsea and City aren't going to be making profits (certainly not for the next few years).

United's 'profits' are complicated... they're servicing debt.

Arsenal are charging a bloody fortune, and that's going to pay off the stadium (seemingly)

I think there lies the REAL crux of the problem.... who CAN make a genuine profit and be competitive at the very top?

This new breed of owners (like Chelsea and City) are using football clubs for a different type of 'return' - effectively an advertising platform for Abramovich himself, or Abu Dhabi businesses.

FSG's strategy relies on FFP to be fully implemented, something which I think is unlikely, so no real chance short of Rodger's turning out to be an unbelievably talented manager and the youth setup producing a generation of talent, even then to go beyond breaking into the top four just looks impossible without serious investment.

Profit and football have never really mixed, of all the Premiership clubs only United and Arsenal are substantially profitable and both are servicing debt (for very different reasons).

FSG's strategy relies on FFP to be fully implemented, something which I think is unlikely, so no real chance short of Rodger's turning out to be an unbelievably talented manager and the youth setup producing a generation of talent, even then to go beyond breaking into the top four just looks impossible without serious investment.

Profit and football have never really mixed, of all the Premiership clubs only United and Arsenal are substantially profitable and both are servicing debt (for very different reasons).

FFP is clearly a load of shit.

Abramovich was one of the figureheads behind FFP, yet he himself has again pumped a stupid amount of money into his shitty little club.

I agree, and even United isn't quite as profitable as folks often think.

FFP theory is great - the practice is messy, and truth be told, even if you take away City/Chelsea/PSG etc, it's still riddled with shady sources of income.

Barca and Real can command a higher percentage share of TV money than Liverpool, or United can (domestically)... it's not a level playing field even amongst the big boys.

The other issue is... 'the elite' (like any club) are out for themselves, but will act as a group to protect themselves when it suits. Once upon a time, Liverpool would have been in that group. But, like any merry band of thieves, they'll not blink an eye about embracing new friends, and ditching old ones.

They won't care two jots about Liverpool's fortunes.

If City's 'buying success' is proof of anything, it's this:

1) Money can massively influence your prospects

2) What a crying shame that it seems to take money to have a hope of winning anything consistently.

Of course, my view will be biased, but I don't see it as sugar daddies causing the problem, it's more that that they are symptomatic of a system where you need one to stand any hope.

Either way, something has to change.

I agree, and even United isn't quite as profitable as folks often think.

FFP theory is great - the practice is messy, and truth be told, even if you take away City/Chelsea/PSG etc, it's still riddled with shady sources of income.

Barca and Real can command a higher percentage share of TV money than Liverpool, or United can (domestically)... it's not a level playing field even amongst the big boys.

The other issue is... 'the elite' (like any club) are out for themselves, but will act as a group to protect themselves when it suits. Once upon a time, Liverpool would have been in that group. But, like any merry band of thieves, they'll not blink an eye about embracing new friends, and ditching old ones.

They won't care two jots about Liverpool's fortunes.

If City's 'buying success' is proof of anything, it's this:

1) Money can massively influence your prospects

2) What a crying shame that it seems to take money to have a hope of winning anything consistently.

Of course, my view will be biased, but I don't see it as sugar daddies causing the problem, it's more that that they are symptomatic of a system where you need one to stand any hope.

Either way, something has to change.

Madrid are unique in the fact if they need money the city of Madrid has to loan them it.

It goes back to the days of Franco.

I don't want owners with real interest in football who will invest in the team and stadium in order to capitalise the world class fanbase and collect the benefits in 10-15 year, like Berlusconi. Because I'm scared that the media will brand us as toy club.

I want a hedge fund manager who has no interest in football or the club and will focus on the wage bill speculating some long term BS and some baseball stuff in the media until they sell the club for profit. In them meantime they will blame always everyone else for their failings.

FFP is clearly a load of shit.

Abramovich was one of the figureheads behind FFP, yet he himself has again pumped a stupid amount of money into his shitty little club.

This year is slightly different for Chelsea thanks to their CL win. But yes, Chelsea are part of the group setting the rules... no surprise there is there? the turkeys are going to decide what's on the menu, and they'll make sure they aren't on it.

To be fair... Liverpool wanted to form a nice little 'super elite' of their own and grab all the TV money from themselves (as would any club in the same position Liverpool were in at the time). That's not knocking Liverpool, it's merely highlighting how ALL clubs are out for themselves and will do whatever suits them best with little regard for the good of the game.

I don't know what the answer to it all is, and some of the money coming into the game means stadiums are safer and the entertainment 'better' (in some ways) - but it also feel more and more removed from the working man, less affordable, and going down a slipper slope from sport to 'entertainment industry'.

Madrid are unique in the fact if they need money the city of Madrid has to loan them it.

It goes back to the days of Franco.

Yep... this is a great example of how it's all so twisted - even without the sugar daddies (or rather their sugar daddy is the council!)

What happens when our Sheik thinks he's got all his publicity from City, and decides he needs to do the same elsewhere (maybe in Formula 1) to show how good they are at turning around THAT too?... then loses interest in us?

What happens if FSG sell to some Venky's II outfit?

There's just something fundamentally wrong when a club no longer feels like 'ours', and we know what we are, and where we are at.

The players are coming and going in the space of a couple of years. The managers the same (if you're lucky), and the owners are lucky if they last 5 years. Where's the stability in any of it?

And, let's be honest... when you get a team like Stoke and a manager like Pulis who's just trying to build a no frills decent team... we all take the piss and call them boring and negative... 'cos they can't afford the marquee Carlos Kickaball types.

Good article by bascombe today, saying they wouldn't pay up for Dempsey. Like someone said they are just like hicks and Gillette but with better PR. Some said judge them after this summer etc. Got the club on the cheap, got £64 million from Chelsea .

Werner " we have the resources to complete with anyone in football"

Liars !!!!

Brendan Rodgers in despair as Liverpool’s owners refuse to sanction a £7 million deal for Clint Dempsey - Telegraph

Good article by bascombe today, saying they wouldn't pay up for Dempsey. Like someone said they are just like hicks and Gillette but with better PR. Some said judge them after this summer etc. Got the club on the cheap, got £64 million from Chelsea .

Werner " we have the resources to complete with anyone in football"

Liars !!!!

Brendan Rodgers in despair as Liverpool’s owners refuse to sanction a £7 million deal for Clint Dempsey - Telegraph

That's amazing if true!

Blindly back Comolli and Dalglish, but then refuse to back Rodgers for the sake of £2 million!

Talk about one extreme to the other!

Liverpool FC manager Brendan Rodgers suffers bitter transfer deadline day disappointment as LFC fail to sign anyone

By James Pearce

Sep 1 2012

THERE was bitter disappointment for Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers on transfer deadline day as he missed out on Clint Dempsey and failed to sign a replacement for Andy Carroll.

It means Rodgers is left with a worrying lack of firepower between now and January with Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini his only senior strikers.

The Anfield manager was desperate to finally secure the services of Dempsey from Fulham but the club's owners refused to sanction a £6million move.

Dempsey, who scored 17 goals in the Premier League last season, had rejected the chance to join Aston Villa earlier in the day in the hope that Liverpool would come up with the cash.

However, the Reds failed to do so and late on Friday night Dempsey agreed to sign for Tottenham on a three-year deal for £6million.

Fulham claim they turned down a bid of £3million from Liverpool and the ECHO understands the Reds weren't willing to go above £4million.

The owners were concerned about paying more for a 29-year-old who had entered the final year of his contract and would have little sell-on value.

Having off-loaded Carroll on loan to West Ham on Thursday, Rodgers further reduced the club's wage bill on Friday as Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam were moved on. Spearing joined Bolton on a season-long loan and Adam was sold to Stoke City for £4million.

Reds reserve team striker Nathan Eccleston went to Blackpool on a permanent basis and Danny Wilson is expected to join him at Bloomfield Road on a loan deal. Daniel Pacheco was on the brink of joining Real Valladolid on loan but that fell through and he remains at the club.

Yet despite those outgoings, Liverpool still failed to make a deadline day signing.

Rodgers pursued an interest in taking Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge on a season-long loan but that floundered after the striker made it clear he was only interested in a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge.

Many fans will be baffled how Liverpool allowed themselves to be left with just two frontline strikers in Suarez and Borini with back-up from Academy graduate Adam Morgan.

Thursday night's struggle to see off Hearts in the Europa League underlined the need for reinforcements and at a press conference on Friday afternoon Rodgers had made it clear how vital it was that he signed another frontman.

“There’s no doubt I need to add goals to the team,” he said. “You saw against Hearts that some of our game was very good but we need to have a ruthless streak.

“The more players of that type I’ve got will help the team. To get goalscorers into the club is the No 1 objective and let's hope by the time the window shuts we have someone in.”

At 29, Dempsey is at the peak of his career and as a proven goalscorer he would have been an ideal signing at a reasonable price. His ability to play in a number of positions would also have been a huge benefit to Rodgers but now the manager must press on with what he's got.

The summer transfer window saw Liverpool bring in five new signings in Fabio Borini (£11m), Joe Allen (£15m), Oussama Assaidi (£3m), Nuri Sahin (loan) and teenager Samed Yesil (£1m), who will start off with the club's under-21s.

High-earners such as Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodriguez, Alberto Aquilani, Craig Bellamy and Fabio Aurelio left the club, with the subsequent departure of Carroll, Adam and Spearing also significantly reducing the wage bill.

Cost-cutting measures have severely hampered Rodgers' bid to overhaul the squad he inherited.

“It's difficult but that's the situation we're in,” the manager added.

“This is an incredible club and the challenge of being manager of Liverpool Football Club is massive.

“The current climate makes it difficult but I love being here. It’s all part of being a manager.

“I've been used to working with limited resources but the demands are different here.

“I've got a tight group and and we're trying to make the first steps to bring us success in the future. Sometimes the first steps are the most difficult ones to take.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/01/liverpool-fc-manager-brendan-rodgers-suffers-bitter-transfer-deadline-day-disappointment-as-lfc-fail-to-sign-anyone-100252-31741523/#ixzz25AsszOzM

Didn't Rodgers say in a press conference that we were very short in numbers and that he'd be nuts to loan Carroll and have no replacement coming in.

Well the people who hired him exposed him tonight. I feel for him. The FSG brigate with their on line worshippers are gonna make everything his fault during the upcoming season.

Wank stains. If hicks and Gillette were here we'd be a Portsmouth Leeds or Rangers. They gave KK 100 million and he fucked t up.

Yip. We should have paid for Dempsey cause he is the answer.

Bellers or Sterling. Kuyt or Borini. Allen or Adam. Spearing or Sahin.

We offered all of KK's players and couldn't even get an offer for them.

You tell me.

It's all FSG's fault.

What a crowd of clueless cunts you are.

Edited by Ciano
Spelling.

What do you propose we do?

One day this game is going to go down the pan' date=' agents and oligarchs will be running around like fans at the end of transfer windows pulling their hair out and screaming what went wrong, and I will look down and grin and say he who reaps what he sows shall never reap the benefits of the, fool me once fool me, cant fool me again, or some shite like that.[/quote']

The sooner that happens the better.

Wank stains. If hicks and Gillette were here we'd be a Portsmouth Leeds or Rangers. They gave KK 100 million and he fucked t up.

Yip. We should have paid for Dempsey cause he is the answer.

Bellers or Sterling. Kuyt or Borini. Allen or Adam. Spearing or Sahin.

We offered all of KK's players and couldn't even get an offer for them.

You tell me.

It's all FSG's fault.

What a crowd of clueless cunts you are.

What's that people say about Rafa? He's gone, get over it!

Same applies here, they're gone, and we need to get over the damage those two cunts did and move on. It's great they aren't here but they've been gone for the better part of two years now, we can't keep using them as an excuse.

Unfortunately us "getting over it" requires our new owners being willing to put some cash in up-front in order to potentially reap the benefits of it in the future. Whilst we spent a shit ton of money, they hardly put anything of their own in. Disclaimer being that hardly anything is of course relative to the checkbooks of the owners and not the average person.

We shipped out Carroll, which for me isn't the end of the world though I'd prefer him to have stayed (something about not even trying to convert a striker to being successful in your system doesn't exactly instill me with confidence, though I don't have any real problem with Rodgers at the moment so that's all I have to say about that), and didn't get anyone else in which is a problem. Hey, maybe the German kid is the next fucking Ronaldo (brazilian one) and will shortly be banging them in for us but I think he was more of a youth signing and I don't think we'll see him play much for the first team though I'd love to be wrong.

Kenny and Comolli made a lot of horrible buys sure but that's no reason to not trust the manager you fucking hired and go out and get some players to rectify those mistakes. It's not the loaning out of Carroll that's the problem, it's the failure to have someone tied up to replace him, I suppose the only thing worse would have be wasting another 35m pounds to bring in a striker with potential because we just sold one and left ourselves short. Whilst Carroll wasn't anywhere near Torres in terms of quality it's the same situation, we sold one of our only strikers, and this time instead of paying over the odds out of desperation we went fucking cheap and didn't get anyone. Completely opposite end of the spectrum and it raises questions about FSG.

What's that people say about Rafa? He's gone, get over it!

Same applies here, they're gone, and we need to get over the damage those two cunts did and move on. It's great they aren't here but they've been gone for the better part of two years now, we can't keep using them as an excuse.

Unfortunately us "getting over it" requires our new owners being willing to put some cash in up-front in order to potentially reap the benefits of it in the future. Whilst we spent a shit ton of money, they hardly put anything of their own in. Disclaimer being that hardly anything is of course relative to the checkbooks of the owners and not the average person.

We shipped out Carroll, which for me isn't the end of the world though I'd prefer him to have stayed (something about not even trying to convert a striker to being successful in your system doesn't exactly instill me with confidence, though I don't have any real problem with Rodgers at the moment so that's all I have to say about that), and didn't get anyone else in which is a problem. Hey, maybe the German kid is the next fucking Ronaldo (brazilian one) and will shortly be banging them in for us but I think he was more of a youth signing and I don't think we'll see him play much for the first team though I'd love to be wrong.

Kenny and Comolli made a lot of horrible buys sure but that's no reason to not trust the manager you fucking hired and go out and get some players to rectify those mistakes. It's not the loaning out of Carroll that's the problem, it's the failure to have someone tied up to replace him, I suppose the only thing worse would have be wasting another 35m pounds to bring in a striker with potential because we just sold one and left ourselves short. Whilst Carroll wasn't anywhere near Torres in terms of quality it's the same situation, we sold one of our only strikers, and this time instead of paying over the odds out of desperation we went fucking cheap and didn't get anyone. Completely opposite end of the spectrum and it raises questions about FSG.

You mean like how they put 'cash up front' to back Dalglish? Like how we are going to benefit from that in the future? If I had given a manager close to 100 mill to spend and it was spent on absolute rubbish that could financially hamper the club for years, then why the fuck would I do it again?

Kenny and Commoli making all those mistakes is exactly the reason why they aren't going out and stumping that money up again. You don't just waste 100 mill on crap, then go out and front up another 100 mill to fix it. Unless you actually do want to end up like Leeds.

You mean like how they put 'cash up front' to back Dalglish? Like how we are going to benefit from that in the future? If I had given a manager close to 100 mill to spend and it was spent on absolute rubbish that could financially hamper the club for years, then why the fuck would I do it again?

Kenny and Commoli making all those mistakes is exactly the reason why they aren't going out and stumping that money up again. You don't just waste 100 mill on crap, then go out and front up another 100 mill to fix it. Unless you actually do want to end up like Leeds.

Fuck off with that absolute horseshit. We fell about 2 to 3m short on dempsey. You think us paying that extra 3m will leave us like fucking Leeds?

In still seething about how much money kenny wasted, he fucked us up. But if you or our twat owners think that the way to fix things is to undermine your manager, sell all your fcking players, buy barely anybody and fail to compete with the likes of Aston ficking villa, then you can fuck off from this club.

Fuck these owners. Bunch of clueless wankers. You can sit back happily and watch our club fade away into mediocrity if you like. Have fun.