You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

3 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

What's the point of a luxury tax for breaching new FFP rules when City, Chelsea and PSG can happily pay it and carry on as normal?

Points deductions, transfer embargoes, banned from European competition is the only way the rules can be enforced. 

It pretty much labels them as cheating the game, but not much more than that. 

If we don’t even buy a midfielder or an attacker, let alone both, this talking about that in terms of we can’t compete with City, Chelsea and United stuff won’t wash.  

Buying a replacement for Wijnaldum we’ve identified as having potential to improve at the £25-£40m mark and swapping out Origi and Shaqiri for a similar investment in a new prospect is not competing with those clubs financially, when they’re shelling out £75-£100m (and potentially even more) on highly-sought after individual players. 

Not making any signings at all for positions we risk being light in and instead hanging onto highly flawed players who’ve been shown more than enough patience is a different thing altogether.

I think we’ll do really well this season. Missing a proper pre-season was huge for us last year and we’ll be vastly improved this, but it’ll be incredibly frustrating if not doing the above sort of business squanders the opportunities such improvements create.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

If we don’t even buy a midfielder or an attacker, let alone both, this talking about that in terms of we can’t compete with City, Chelsea and United stuff won’t wash.  

Buying a replacement for Wijnaldum we’ve identified as having potential to improve at the £25-£40m mark and swapping out Origi and Shaqiri for a similar investment in a new prospect is not competing with those clubs financially, when they’re shelling out £75-£100m (and potentially even more) on highly-sought after individual players. 

Not making any signings at all for positions we risk being light in and instead hanging onto highly flawed players who’ve been shown more than enough patience is a different thing altogether.

Correct, no one expects us to compete with City and Chelsea. 

However it's not unreasonable to expect us to compete with Arsenal, Villa and Leciester

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Correct, no one expects us to compete with City and Chelsea. 

However it's not unreasonable to expect us to compete with Arsenal, Villa and Leciester

You mean Arsenal who took a £120m loan, Villa who sold a £100m player & Leicester who have a inferior squad to us anyway? 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Ironically, on the pitch where it matters, it's the likes of CIty and Chelsea that we do compete with.

I know your new to the site, but the Champions League and Premiership are ancient history now, we want to be crowned the coveted Transfer Window trophy. 

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The imminent start to the season has reinvigorated me.

Buy somebody, you cunts.

We have bought players mate - we bought Elliot and Thiago. Yes, yes we bought these in 2019 and 2020 but with the right amount of mental gymnastics we can count them as new signings for 2021 as well. 

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I think we’ll do really well this season. Missing a proper pre-season was huge for us last year and we’ll be vastly improved this, but it’ll be incredibly frustrating if not doing the above sort of business squanders the opportunities such improvements create.

Nuanced take. What I would say is the problem is that if you look at it from the standpoint of how to improve on what we did in 18-19 and 19-20, in the context of the pandemic, it's pretty difficult

Big picture, where we are now is we've eventually replaced Gini with Thiago, Lovren with Konate, added Jota as 4th forward, signed a backup for Robertson, replaced Lallana with Jones, it looks like we're replacing Shaqiri with Elliott and we've extended a lot of our top players. 

Essentially, I'd say we've tried to stay about as good as we were squad strength wise as we were in 18-19 and 19-20. There's no massive downgrade and there's a bit more depth with Jota and Tsimikas. Any squad reconstruction we might have tried has been scuppered by Covid as even had we wanted to sell some big players to create a squad turnover, few clubs have money to buy. So impossible to sell Firmino, impossible to sell Mane, for example. 

The gamble is that players like Keita, Ox and Minamino will step up. If they do, we'll be set because those 3 have offerered very little to our successes in 18-19 and 19-20. It's the trust in those players that will make or break us, along with the injured players coming back to form. 

Chelsea, City and United don't really bother me. They do their own thing. There's no need to compete with them or with anybody, we just need to work well. 

• Upvote 1

Next set of accounts is probably going to show massive losses, the last accounts only included 3 months of Covid so the big hit, coupled with poorer performance on the pitch and no big sales, will be in the next accounts.

They need to find a way of navigating that and still strengthening the team.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

We have bought players mate - we bought Elliot and Thiago. Yes, yes we bought these in 2019 and 2020 but with the right amount of mental gymnastics we can count them as new signings for 2021 as well. 

giphy.gif

Konate says hi.

Oh wait, I forgot. Centre backs don't count as signings.

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

I reckon there'll be loads of movement over the next 2 weeks across the whole league. I expect us to hold late and if a final week bargain for either position presents itself, we'll do it. Otherwise we'll stick. I don't think what is right in terms of football will come into it. It'll just be a data/spreadsheet driven decision. This is obviously assuming shaq, Phillips and may more leave, which I expect to happen. 

We're at the point, then even, your Scott_M's and good solid FSG apologists are having trouble holding the line, especially after the January debacle. Can't give their forum enemies the satisfaction( in fairness who would after battling them daily for the last few years?) but you have to retain credibility for the next transfer window and if all of Rodgers, Tuchel and Solskjaer end up winning things, then it could become untenable.

• Upvote 1

It's getting to the point where you can't defend them. We are constantly being outset by most of the league and if not for Klopp we'd still be around 7th or 8th. Once he goes they'll be properly exposed. 

They've had an easy ride the past 18 months as there's been bo fans. That's all changed now and they want to have a good look at the treatment cunt and aids got after trying to screw thr club over. 

• Upvote 1