You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I mean, c’mon, seriously?

No help? Since 2018 we’ve signed Fabinho, Van Djik, Alisson, Thiago, Jota & Keita for significant money & built a new training ground.

Maybe if they had helped, we’d have won a trophy or two. 

And the players have given up? Heard it all now. 

I get some posters don’t like FSG, but posting inaccurate nonsense like this seriously undermines any valid points posters may have.

I wouldn't say they've completely given up, but we've got where we are through intensity, and sheer force of will, we were relentless last season. 

That intensity and fire isn't there, it was there before January.

The entire fanbase was optimistic, everyone assumed we'd be getting a decent CB in at the earliest opportunity, then it became apparent that maybe we aren't getting the centre back and the optimism disappeared, I imagine the players felt the same way. 

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I wouldn't say they've completely given up, but we've got where we are through intensity, and sheer force of will, we were relentless last season. 

That intensity and fire isn't there, it was there before January.

The entire fanbase was optimistic, everyone assumed we'd be getting a decent CB in at the earliest opportunity, then it became apparent that maybe we aren't getting the centre back and the optimism disappeared, I imagine the players felt the same way. 

Do you think the the continued changing to the line up and midfield has contributed to drop in intensity? 

I fundamentally don’t believe, for example, Klopp sat everybody down after the Palace game where we were 5 points clear and and said “Sorry lads, it’s just us from here on out “ and they all just went, “Yeah, fuck it”.

From VVD getting injured, it meant we could not rest/rotate players as we wished and that had a knock on effect. 

Fab had a muscle injury (CL I think) playing CB earlier in the season, Matip was Matip, Gomez was Gomez.

Klopp has stated both came back not fully fit, because we needed them to play, they are now out with similar injuries. Hendo out, not rotated due to lack of midfield back up because the back up was injured in Thiagos case or playing CB in Fabs.

Milner starting 3 out of four games gets a hamstring niggle, after earlier in the season, getting a hamstring niggle after starting three games on the run. Gini playing basically the entire season, due to again not being able to rotate due to injuries or his replacements playing CB, or both. 

Fab was brought back early for the City game, this is 100% due to the fact that we had only brought in replacements days before as opposed to weeks before when we could and should have. When you are rushing an injury prone CB (Matip) back and rushing your fourth choice CB (Fab), who is also prone to muscle injuries then you need to bring people in asap, we did not do that and that failing is on FSG. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Take Diaz, Laporte, Fernandinho, Rodri, De Bruyne, Ederson & Sterling out for the same period of time as VVD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Thiago & Jota respectively and where do you think City would be?

F63CD3EB-D0E7-408D-B639-01FAC2F5E24A.jpeg

City lost Laporte & played Fernandinho at centre back last season and were even further behind than we are now!

And went out and dropped 100 million on two new centre halves in the summer to correct it

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I don't disagree with we should have made a move so that like VVD, somebody was able to come in and be available from 1st January. We might not agree on the players I've mentioned (I only said White and Konate because we've been linked with them) but who? And at what price? I realise we're not all football scouts but if our best suggestions were Tarkowski (from you) and David Luiz (from me), then it shows the difficult position we were in!

Clubs were always going to shaft us from VVD's injury and would only double down after Gomez's injury.  Klopp said himself there aren't many players of the quality we'd want and if there were, they wouldn't be available anyway. I'd find it hard to believe we didn't try and adequately replace VVD & Gomez until 29th January.

I generally I agree on the players you've listed exiting. Some I'd give another season, some I'd look to move on ASAP, but if reasonable interest was forthcoming for any of them, I wouldn't stand in their way. But it's unrealistic to expect them all to go in 1 summer and replace them with another 8-10 players. If we sell half of them this summer and buy 3 quality replacements, I think thats a fair return.

i thought we would be in for Tarkowski for no other reason than he was english, available with a release clause and when he was surplus to requirement in the summer, both of those two previous reasons would probably mean someone like WHU would give us our money back. I didn't particularly want him, I just thought it was the low-risk type move FSG would make. But as for who really - i have no fucking idea, i find watching anyone buy liverpool these days a strain and watch very little football. but if you loan me our scouting reports and video analysis for a week, i bet i could find someone. we were in a bind because our budget was zero. 

and back to the squad refresh... so if we replace origi and gini and add a centre back (i think we all agree would be the right thing) - that's your 3 incoming. 2 more of that list you mentioned taking 3 from (we already have origi), well that's 5. It is a bit of a large revamp. 

49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Do you think the the continued changing to the line up and midfield has contributed to drop in intensity? 

I fundamentally don’t believe, for example, Klopp sat everybody down after the Palace game where we were 5 points clear and and said “Sorry lads, it’s just us from here on out “ and they all just went, “Yeah, fuck it”.

Of course Klopp wouldn't have said that. the changing of the team is a part of it yes, but when the matches aren't going our way it needs our players to give that little bit extra, chase the 2nd ball, press their defence etc, there's fine margins between getting the points and not getting them, lately we've been slow and ponderous on the ball, players aren't taking risks or making the runs that they used to. 

It's pissing down, slightly above freezing, and the tiny decision between playing it safe and going for it is what costs us games, when you're chasing a title the decision is easy, when the owners won't play their part in supporting you then the decision is harder.

The players aren't giving 100%.

https://www.sportico.com/business/finance/2021/redbird-to-buy-fenway-sports-group-stake-1234623645/amp/

RedBird Capital Acquiring Ten Percent of Fenway Sports Group for $750 Million

RedBird Capital is nearing a deal to acquire more than 10% of Fenway Sports Group for approximately $750 million, according to individuals familiar with the matter. The deal values the owner of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC at more than $7 billion, according the people, who were granted anonymity because the matter is private. It would be the latest sports-related investment for RedBird, following the acquisition of Toulouse FC and the XFL, which is scheduled to relaunch in 2022.

RedBird founder Gerry Cardinale for some time has been trying to acquire a piece of Fenway, which is controlled by John Henry. Cardinale and Red Sox executive Sam Kennedy declined to comment. A SPAC, with $575 million in capital, led by Cardinale and Oakland A’s executive Billy Beane, had been in negotiations to acquire a portion of Fenway earlier this year, in a deal that would have valued the company at $8 billion. Those talks ultimately led to the private investment by RedBird. The deal will likely close in the next six weeks.

Fenway Sport Group boasts a portfolio of successful sports franchises. The Boston Red Sox have won three World Series this century and are a New England institution, drawing more than 2.9 million fans in 2019, more than 96% of its home field capacity. Liverpool, meanwhile, are the defending Premier League champions and considered one of the ‘Big 6’ teams that historically rule English soccer. Fenway also owns Rausch Fenway Racing, one of the more successful auto racing teams in NASCAR, as well as the New England Sports Network. FSG also owns Fenway Park and some surrounding lots in central Boston, as well a marketing group that owns half of LeBron James’s marketing and brand rights.

Cardinale is also a stakeholder in the OneTeam Collective, along with the NFLPA and the MLBPA. It’s unclear if there would be any conflict in holding stakes in both ownership and union properties. RedBird also owns a stake of the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network, the regional broadcaster of the Red Sox rival New York Yankees. Cardinale entered that business in a 2019 deal valuing YES at $3.47 billion. Earlier this month RedBird bought a sizable minority stake in Wasserman Media Group, a sports marketing and talent agency.

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

https://www.sportico.com/business/finance/2021/redbird-to-buy-fenway-sports-group-stake-1234623645/amp/

RedBird Capital is nearing a deal to acquire more than 10% of Fenway Sports Group for approximately $750 million, according to individuals familiar with the matter. The deal values the owner of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC at more than $7 billion, according the people, who were granted anonymity because the matter is private. It would be the latest sports-related investment for RedBird, following the acquisition of Toulouse FC and the XFL, which is scheduled to relaunch in 2022.

RedBird founder Gerry Cardinale for some time has been trying to acquire a piece of Fenway, which is controlled by John Henry. Cardinale and Red Sox executive Sam Kennedy declined to comment. A SPAC, with $575 million in capital, led by Cardinale and Oakland A’s executive Billy Beane, had been in negotiations to acquire a portion of Fenway earlier this year, in a deal that would have valued the company at $8 billion. Those talks ultimately led to the private investment by RedBird. The deal will likely close in the next six weeks.

Fenway Sport Group boasts a portfolio of successful sports franchises. The Boston Red Sox have won three World Series this century and are a New England institution, drawing more than 2.9 million fans in 2019, more than 96% of its home field capacity. Liverpool, meanwhile, are the defending Premier League champions and considered one of the ‘Big 6’ teams that historically rule English soccer. Fenway also owns Rausch Fenway Racing, one of the more successful auto racing teams in NASCAR, as well as the New England Sports Network. FSG also owns Fenway Park and some surrounding lots in central Boston, as well a marketing group that owns half of LeBron James’s marketing and brand rights.

Cardinale is also a stakeholder in the OneTeam Collective, along with the NFLPA and the MLBPA. It’s unclear if there would be any conflict in holding stakes in both ownership and union properties. RedBird also owns a stake of the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network, the regional broadcaster of the Red Sox rival New York Yankees. Cardinale entered that business in a 2019 deal valuing YES at $3.47 billion. Earlier this month RedBird bought a sizable minority stake in Wasserman Media Group, a sports marketing and talent agency.

Does anyone know what that could potentially mean for us though? 

9 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Practically nothing Id say. It is FSG selling off a stake that they could use to pay a US tax bill, share across their portfolio, use to buy into another sporting or other asset etc and this Redbird getting a foot up and buying into a bigger portfolio.

34 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Probably nothing unless part of the deal is that both parties commit to extra investment in the teams. It would be very embarrassing for all concerned if we don't make the CL next year as our value would drop instantly so it may be that the buyer will want a commitment from FSG that there will be more investment in those circumstances. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

So redbird were the people driving redball and failed to raise the new capital to get the 25% share in FSG that would have included listing on the NYSE? So instead, they've just taken the money they had themselves and bought a smaller stake? It explains why fsg were so tight in January. 

16 hours ago, KevieG said:

And went out and dropped 100 million on two new centre halves in the summer to correct it

It's quite obvious we don't have City's wealth. Nobody does. Even if we could, we're then going back to Klopp's comments of who would we go for at that level and who would sell?

Plus, the 4 centre backs we were pinning our hopes on were / are quality players. I wouldn't say they about the players they had.

16 hours ago, Aventus said:

It's pissing down, slightly above freezing, and the tiny decision between playing it safe and going for it is what costs us games, when you're chasing a title the decision is easy, when the owners won't play their part in supporting you then the decision is harder.

The players aren't giving 100%.

Alternatively, bad injuries, key players lack of form and players being played out of position has led to disjointed performances, the performances have led to poorer results and the that has meant drops in confidence? 

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

and back to the squad refresh... so if we replace origi and gini and add a centre back (i think we all agree would be the right thing) - that's your 3 incoming. 2 more of that list you mentioned taking 3 from (we already have origi), well that's 5. It is a bit of a large revamp. 

I’m sure it makes sense, but I’m sure I quite follow that.

We buy a new centre back or two - say Konaté and White. 

Gini needs replacing. I read last night we like Neuhaus from Monchengladbach last night. 

Yep, replace Origi. Somebody, anybody would do. 

If Ox or Shaq were to leave we have Elliot coming back, maybe Minamino if we can see this Southampton version (although I wouldn’t be on it...). I’d assume Jones would get more time as well. 

I only see 3/4 signings there.

I know we all think we’re a bit threadbare at the moment because of who’s not available, but in general, we have a really strong squad with more than 2 capable players for each position. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Scrump said:

Look John, or are you Tom. That is as big a "the owners are actually great" i have seen. Its all spin. The biggest wage payer doesn't make the best team, look at utd, in a normal season they would be about 6th. Saying the biggest spend isn't the rout to success, once this season is over who will have one 3 of the last 4 titles, oh yeah the highest spenders, even the highest net spenders.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Alternatively, bad injuries, key players lack of form and players being played out of position has led to disjointed performances, the performances have led to poorer results and the that has meant drops in confidence? 

That too, but we had all of those things before January and were still doing OK. 

I'm talking about the reason why it's completely gone to shit since the beginning of January.