You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

Is this a trick question. We all know which owners are putting money in. We also have factual evidence that clubs not even in our stratosphere have spent far more than us.

I have no clue if anyone else was in the market for us all those years ago. That

at point is irrelevant. 

As I've said, they can't dine out on that forever. 

I purchased the Mrs a car once. I don't dine out on it forever. 

Do you not get tired of this ownership group constantly pleading poverty?

I do, it seems that winning things is expensive and too expensive for us. 

I just dont know how we can get outspent by the majority of clubs on this list. Chelsea would be higher but they do seem to somehow get a lot of money for their unwanted players in some dubious deals. 

How can Everton outspend us when our Main stand makes more money than they entire ground and all our sponsorship deals are double or sometimes treble what their deals are?. Also they haven't qualified for Europe since 2016. 

How can Aston Villa, Fulham, Sheffield United, Wolves and Brighton outspend us when they've only been in the Premier League a few seasons altogether?. Only Wolves have been in the Europa League. 

Tottenham have just built a stadium for almost a billion quid. We built a stand with a low interest loan of £110m. 

Arsenal have a bigger ground than us but haven't been in the Champions League for almost 3 years. They somehow managed to buy Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe for around £150m without constantly selling their best players/someone for a record fee. 

We were miles ahead of Man Utd two seasons ago (by their own admission they said they needed to catch us and City up), now we've allowed them to gain ground on us and overtake us.

We were also the only team in the league to compete with Man City but we've allowed them to fuck off into the sunset. 

FB_IMG_1611653935101.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I just dont know how we can get outspent by the majority of clubs on this list. Chelsea would be higher but they do seem to somehow get a lot of money for their unwanted players in some dubious deals. 

How can Everton outspend us when our Main stand makes more money than they entire ground and all our sponsorship deals are double or sometimes treble what their deals are?. Also they haven't qualified for Europe since 2016. 

How can Aston Villa, Fulham, Sheffield United, Wolves and Brighton outspend us when they've only been in the Premier League a few seasons altogether?

Tottenham have just built a stadium for almost a billion quid. We built a stand with a low interest loan of £110m. 

Arsenal have a bigger ground than us but have6nt been in the Champions League for almost 3 years. They somehow managed to buy Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe for around £150m without selling someone for a record fee. 

We were miles ahead of Man Utd two seasons ago (by their own admission they said they needed to catch us and City up), now we've allowed them to gain ground on us and overtake us.

We were also the only team in the league to compete with Man City but we've allowed them to fuck off into the sunset. 

FB_IMG_1611653935101.jpg

I agree with what you've said here. It is unfathomable to me and a lot of us that we spend less than these clubs you mention. 

I do think that once we get lads back next season we'll be in a good position but we absolutely must strengthen with quality additions. 

But as I say, we've clearly got no money for whatever reason and it cannot be always about the pandemic and crowds etc etc. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

How can Aston Villa, Fulham, Sheffield United, Wolves and Brighton outspend us when they've only been in the Premier League a few seasons altogether?. Only Wolves have been in the Europa League. 

Arsenal have a bigger ground than us but haven't been in the Champions League for almost 3 years. They somehow managed to buy Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe for around £150m without constantly selling their best players/someone for a record fee. 

FB_IMG_1611653935101.jpg

The not spending thing is probably mostly linked to the fact that it's sell to buy, and if you don't sell important players, there's one, not enough funds to buy more top players, and two, no squad spots available. We haven't sold an important first team player in a while and that's actually a problem under this ownership. People have said it a million times by now, but the likes of Matip, Ox/Keita, Origi and or Shaqiri need to go so we can make some money, but also to free up some spots in the squad. 

As far as net spend goes, having a high one might not even be important if you look at the clubs high on that list. It's not exactly a badge of honour for Everton that they're 4th here. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The not spending thing is probably mostly linked to the fact that it's sell to buy, and if you don't sell important players, there's one, not enough funds to buy more top players, and two, no squad spots available. We haven't sold an important first team player in a while and that's actually a problem under this ownership. People have said it a million times by now, but the likes of Matip, Ox/Keita, Origi and or Shaqiri need to go so we can make some money, but also to free up some spots in the squad. 

As far as net spend goes, having a high one might not even be important if you look at the clubs high on that list. It's not exactly a badge of honour for Everton that they're 4th here. 

Its clear now though that the cycle of sell to buy has been exhausted and we're suddenly faced with the prospect of shipping a lot of players out and trying to bring a lot more in. 

It should have been done gradually and more ruthless with players contributing nothing to keep us competitive and with minimal disruption. 

With regards to Everton, they wasted a lot of money when Koeman was there but their ability to waste it in the first place is puzzling when we have a far greater income than them from all revenue streams. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Its clear now though that the cycle of sell to buy has been exhausted and we're suddenly faced with the prospect of shipping a lot of players out and trying to bring a lot more in. 

It should have been done gradually and more ruthless with players contributing nothing to keep us competitive and with minimal disruption. 

With regards to Everton, they wasted a lot of money when Koeman was there but their ability to waste it in the first place is puzzling when we have a far greater income than them from all revenue streams. 

Yes, definitely. 

• Like 1

They've completely ballsed it up. Their so call planning is about as effective as a chocolate teapot. 

I've got zero faith that they will do what is needed. They've taken the piss out of the fans and club for the past 3 years and have had Klopps success to hide behind. 

This is going to go down as just another massively missed opportunity for the club. Won a CL, a League title and CWC and sat on their backsides patting themselves on the back for been soo clever and infact they couldn't even see the woods for the trees in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, I think we are in a tight spot for a couple of reasons. These owners (and most) are not going to put substantial money in - regardless of the post above - as they know that (pick a number) 65 mil is not really going to change much, if at all for this season. And no legitimate owner is going to throw the 200 mil on top - much of it upfront - it would take to add two top CB's and an attacker and keep everyone else.

But the reality is going into next season with the squad we have all turning up most weeks - I fancy our chances.  

We need a cb and another attacker minimum, sales should get that.

27 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

This is absolutely spot on.

We’ll be losing a first team player in Gini for nothing - after losing Can for nothing who was a first team player at the time.

Potentially that would have been a decent fee we could have gotten for both players  if we dealt with the situations sooner. 

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

They've completely ballsed it up. Their so call planning is about as effective as a chocolate teapot. 

I've got zero faith that they will do what is needed. They've taken the piss out of the fans and club for the past 3 years and have had Klopps success to hide behind. 

This is going to go down as just another massively missed opportunity for the club. Won a CL, a League title and CWC and sat on their backsides patting themselves on the back for been soo clever and infact they couldn't even see the woods for the trees in the end. 

What is this? The modern Liverpool wins a trophy @ every 4 years. You can pound your fists on the ground but this isn't 1980. There is no way to re-establish that kind of dominance. And no owners can.

We just created the opportunity - and for the first time in decades capitalized on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

We’ll be losing a first team player in Gini for nothing - after losing Can for nothing who was a first team player at the time.

Potentially that would have been a decent fee we could have gotten for both players  if we dealt with the situations sooner. 

Probably would have missed Wiji as we walked the league with him playing every match but one?

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Seems like that is continuing the cycle.

But now we can't blag Real Mardid or Barcelona to pay top dollar for one of our players to fund it because they have no money. The only clubs that have any money are the oil clubs and Man Utd.

Chinese clubs are off the radar now because no player will go there with their wage cap. The only attraction was earning massive money there in an alien environment and a shite league. 

Plus Bournemouth won't take some of our unwanted players for decent fees now they have a different manager. No one really wants the likes of Grujic, Wilson or Origi for anything near what could fund one or a couple of decent players. 

9 minutes ago, Mark M said:

It's part of a longer term strategy to only sell players for the fees we want and offer the contracts we want. Emre Can wanted a release clause in his new contract, we refused and he left at the end of his contract.  As strange as it sounds, it was the right move by the club at the time.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

But now we can't blag Real Mardid or Barcelona to pay top dollar for one of our players to fund it because they have no money. The only clubs that have any money are the oil clubs and Man Utd.

Chinese clubs are off the radar now because no player will go there with their wage cap. The only attraction was earning massive money there in an alien environment and a shite league. 

Plus Bournemouth won't take some of our unwanted players for decent fees now they have a different manager. No one really wants the likes of Grujic, Wilson or Origi for anything near what could fund one or a couple of decent players. 

Well, true - though we have sold players to other clubs, but if Barcelona and Real Madrid cannot afford to buy the top players what are they gonna do??

Their business model is shot.

22 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

It's part of a longer term strategy to only sell players for the fees we want and offer the contracts we want. Emre Can wanted a release clause in his new contract, we refused and he left at the end of his contract.  As strange as it sounds, it was the right move by the club at the time.

Losing Gini for nothing seems madness to me. I don’t see the long term strategy with that one. 
He’s like iron man he’s always available and plays to a decent standard. All our other midfielders from Fabiano- Hendo - Milner seem to be picking up more injuries and missing a decent amount of games.

Going into next season I hope we’re not expecting Keita to suddenly be available every week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

Basically yes.

Add it to the long list of fucking ourselves over.

2002 - failing to build on our best PL finish and buying utter shite.

2005 - failing to build on Istanbul.

2007-2010 - failing to build on reaching a CL final, infighting and the club falling apart because of the two lying twats who bought us because David Moores couldn't use fucking Google.

2011 - pissing the Torres money away on Andy fucking Carroll instead of buying someone like Aguero for the same price. 

2012 - Deciding that the way forward after winning our first trophy for years was to sack a club legend and replace him with a manager who was learning his trade. 

2015 - Being utter fucking shite in the Champions League and throwing the Real Madrid game to lose anyway 3 days later. This after spending the Suarez money on completely shite players trying to plug 4/5 holes in the squad and not trying to get a top class replacement for him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

Losing Gini for nothing seems madness to me. I don’t see the long term strategy with that one. 
He’s like iron man he’s always available and plays to a decent standard. All our other midfielders from Fabiano- Hendo - Milner seem to be picking up more injuries and missing a decent amount of games.

Going into next season I hope we’re not expecting Keita to suddenly be available every week. 

Yeah ideally he would have signed a new contract. If he is asking for a 4 to 5 year contract on a big wage, I can understand the reluctance to do this as we have an ageing midfield. I get the feeling that we think we can replace him with a younger player on a lower wage. 

The whole house of cards seemed to be built on the first 11/13 not getting any injuries for the 4th year running and in particular VVD.

We used to have three centre backs, Lovren, Gomez, and Matip who between them could just about cover one position fitnesswise alongside Virgil who plays every game. 
In hindsight dropping that to two was a huge mistake.
When Virgil got crocked, Gomez and Matip had to step in as players to show up and play every week, and predictaly both crumbled. 
Then Fab and Hendo have to cover back and the wear and tear of playing non stop for the last few years and playing out of position caught up with them too.

If Virgil stays fit, you could probably molly coddle the other two centre havles and nurse them through the season resulting in the midfield staying intact. In turn you could get rest time for Hendo and Fab.
Could have been all so different.

I'm still blaming FSG for all of this, they kept spreading the butter too thin and in the end they've been caught out. 
Negative momentum can snowball just the same as positive and they started this rolling. Cunts

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, KevieG said:

The whole house of cards seemed to be built on the first 11/13 not getting any injuries for the 4th year running and in particular VVD.

We used to have three centre backs, Lovren, Gomez, and Matip who between them could just about cover one position fitnesswise alongside Virgil who plays every game. 
In hindsight dropping that to two was a huge mistake.
When Virgil got crocked, Gomez and Matip had to step in as players to show up and play every week, and predictaly both crumbled. 
Then Fab and Hendo have to cover back and the wear and tear of playing non stop for the last few years and playing out of position caught up with them too.

If Virgil stays fit, you could probably molly coddle the other two centre havles and nurse them through the season resulting in the midfield staying intact. In turn you could get rest time for Hendo and Fab.
Could have been all so different.

I'm still blaming FSG for all of this, they kept spreading the butter too thin and in the end they've been caught out. 
Negative momentum can snowball just the same as positive and they started this rolling. Cunts

i reckon we'd have rode out losing lovren if vvd had stayed fit. absolutely everything defensively was geared to him staying fit. 

• Upvote 2

I remember reading a few articles about the Juventus team of the late 90s, mainlybfrom that World Soccer magazine. Marcello Lippi got some ex Marine to train them and Lippi tried pushing most of the team to the limit each season. He would make one or two maximum signings per year but they would be squad fillers. 

The guy who wrote the article said that their bodies couldn't cope with the constant exertion from 28 onwards and they would decline a lot quicker than players playing for other teams because of the training regime and the fact that the same 13 players were playing every game.

Maybe explains what we are seeing with Firmino or a few of the other players who are picking up injuries because they basically have no down time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I remember reading a few articles about the Juventus team of the late 90s, mainlybfrom that World Soccer magazine. Marcello Lippi got some ex Marine to train them and Lippi tried pushing most of the team to the limit each season. He would make one or two maximum signings per year but they would be squad fillers. 

The guy who wrote the article said that their bodies couldn't cope with the constant exertion from 28 onwards and they would decline a lot quicker than players playing for other teams because of the training regime and the fact that the same 13 players were playing every game.

Maybe explains what we are seeing with Firmino or a few of the other players who are picking up injuries because they basically have no down time. 

firmino has been right off it for ages and it might be a point with him. the others? Gomez, lovren and Matip have had regular injuries all their time at the club. Henderson since he got that heel problem which I think was maybe even under rodgers. Milner is 100 years old. Shaq again, not years of abuse at the hands of klopp, he has never been up to it since day 1 - maybe I am wrong, but I think he missed chunks of games at Stoke too. Ox was injury prone all his career. Keita since he came here. 

It seems more likely to me our problems with injuries are mostly about the ones who are not able to take the schedule from day 1. firmino seem to me to be the only one who has really tailed off early - which seems to have been since that injury in 19. And he certainly wouldn't be the 1st brazilian forward to peak early.