You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

If we are able to continue with the same intensity and with largely the same squad it will be a major achievement by this manager and squad. Let's hope its not another Dortmund scenario where he squeezed all the juice out of those players and players left due to inflated wages elsewhere. I think we could win the title again but it will need another superhuman effort and lots of luck with injuries,suspensions and so on. Alisson staying fit is key as Adrian stepping in will be costly if he plays anything like his second spell in the team last season.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, skaro said:

I think this situation also suits Klopp, his persona and his preferred (and successful) way of managing.

He has admitted in the past, I recall, that he likes being the "sling shots vs nuclear weapons" challenger - the under-resourced manager compared with the financial heavyweights (Bayern).  The manager that builds with system, spirit, and seige mentality, rather than money.

"Cash-strapped and covidian" is the perfect new sling shot for him against the nasty oil monarchs/oligarchs, and he'll make it part of the team's psyche this term.

English/World and recently dethroned European Champions as underdogs - it's another perfect storm for him and another challenge. To over-achieve with limitations.

And if it doesn't come off, there are reasons - read: excuses perhaps - both beyond his control and true to his style/brand.

I'm not saying I like this scenario - and I certainly don't like FSG - but from a standpoint of supporting a club that's just won the League off the back of the European Cup... it's probably me that should go fuck himself.

You were doing well till that last sentence!

7 hours ago, skaro said:

Perhaps, yes.

The top table dealings were done slowly and methodically and only because we sold our "best player" for a ridiculously inflated 140m - all stringently within FSG's business framework.

If Klopp is unhappy and maybe eventually/subsequently wantaway, he isn't showing it and mightn't really need to.  As I suggested, he could "fail" from here and still depart true to his brand, head held high, amicably - with his managerial principles and employers' business model as a valid caveat/reason/"excuse".

I don't think klopp would want away as a direct consequence of their actions, more indirect. I think his personality is such he'll just crack on with it now. But the harder his bosses make his job, the quicker we'll get to that point he's talked about before where he'll need a break from the game. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If we are able to continue with the same intensity and with largely the same squad it will be a major achievement by this manager and squad. Let's hope its not another Dortmund scenario where he squeezed all the juice out of those players and players left due to inflated wages elsewhere. I think we could win the title again but it will need another superhuman effort and lots of luck with injuries,suspensions and so on. Alisson staying fit is key as Adrian stepping in will be costly if he plays anything like his second spell in the team last season.

Even if we can "go again" this season, and I wouldn't put anything past these players and manager, that will in no way justify FSG's apparent stance this summer.  We should right now be preparing for next season not least because Klopp likes to allow players several months to settle in, and preparing for the season after that and the season after that.  

It feels like FSG are trying to wring out every last bit of juice from Klopp in the here and now, but when he goes what then?

They do not match the ambition of most supporters who want us to cement our place at the top in the present and for the future, do their actions suggest that's what they're doing? 

I will not say FSG out, that's not what I want, but only because I doubt there's anyone out there who's an LFC fan with £1b plus to spend on a football club.  

But I really really don't like the cheap bastards.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Even if we can "go again" this season, and I wouldn't put anything past these players and manager, that will in no way justify FSG's apparent stance this summer.  We should right now be preparing for next season not least because Klopp likes to allow players several months to settle in, and preparing for the season after that and the season after that.  

It feels like FSG are trying to wring out every last bit of juice from Klopp in the here and now, but when he goes what then?

They do not match the ambition of most supporters who want us to cement our place at the top in the present and for the future, do their actions suggest that's what they're doing? 

I will not say FSG out, that's not what I want, but only because I doubt there's anyone out there who's an LFC fan with £1b plus to spend on a football club.  

But I really really don't like the cheap bastards.

Spot on that. I've always maintained they will look at investing in the team based on how that investment will give them a return. There seems little chance this team will finish outside the top 4 and finishing 1st or 2nd will be roughly neutral financially, certainly not a significant amount to say buy a 50m player like Werner and add him to the wage bill with no other forward guaranteed to go out. So it would seem we can have like for like replacements - my guess is there's also an aim to get the wage bill down as we've probably freed up 200k per week with clyne, lallana and lovren gone and Kostas in. 

8 hours ago, skaro said:

For all his emotive traits, I think Klopp can be pretty savvy and measured and diplomatic. 

Whatever his levels of dissatisfaction or otherwise, and however this played out, I wouldn't be surprised if he remained diplomatic enough not to out-and-out call them out.  If things were to go pear-shaped, I could see him and his brand coming out of it fine - much better than FSG's and the club, alas - without overt "animosity".

Hopefully all this stays conjecture and we do strengthen, as I think we might find things much, much more difficult this season if we don't.

But of course, the 30-year drought is broken, and that's still very, very recent history that buys buckets of goodwill for the moment, you'd think.

The way I see it they are all sensible people, each and every one of them knows Klopp is the key to it all. If he told them he "needs" Thiago then he will get him. It's that simple.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

The way I see it they are all sensible people, each and every one of them knows Klopp is the key to it all. If he told them he "needs" Thiago then he will get him. It's that simple.

I'd like to think that is how it will pan out. I do have some reservations about the owners though,none about Klopp of course.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

When all is said and done his biggest regret in football will be the dismantling of his Dortmund side and the subsequent collapse. All he learned in that period we are benefiting from now.

He has built an even better team and this time he has them tied down to long-term contracts and on wages that won't be easy to blow out of the water. He is too smart to have same thing happen again, we have seen it gradually change over the last 3 years. The 90 minute of madness has gradually been reduced to 15 minute of chaos and 75 minute of control. When City are hammering Watford 7-0 we have already eased right down and accepted 2-0. When they play Aguero away to Burton in the 2nd leg with 9 nil start, we give all our lads a day off in more important domestic cup games. Everything he does is around maintaining energy for the big games. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

When all is said and done his biggest regret in football will be the dismantling of his Dortmund side and the subsequent collapse. All he learned in that period we are benefiting from now.

He has built an even better team and this time he has them tied down to long-term contracts and on wages that won't be easy to blow out of the water. He is too smart to have same thing happen again, we have seen it gradually change over the last 3 years. The 90 minute of madness has gradually been reduced to 15 minute of chaos and 75 minute of control. When City are hammering Watford 7-0 we have already eased right down and accepted 2-0. When they play Aguero away to Burton in the 2nd leg with 9 nil start, we give all our lads a day off in more important domestic cup games. Everything he does is around maintaining energy for the big games. 

This. Id love us to retain the title. That's going to take a supreme effort as recent history has shown. And it would probably entail some sacrifice of the domestic cups and maybe even the CL which many would not counternance. That doesnt mean you dont try though.

As you say, Jurgen is pragmatic enough to win a game 2-0 rather than bust a gut to win by 7. End of the day, you get 3 points for a win.

FSG are determined to ring out every bit of value from this squad. They've been here for10 years and still don't have a fucking clue how to run a football club. 

Bunch of tight cunts who are only successful due to Klopp working his magic. If it wasn't for Klopp we'd still be around 6th. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

FSG are determined to ring out every bit of value from this squad. They've been here for10 years and still don't have a fucking clue how to run a football club. 

Bunch of tight cunts who are only successful due to Klopp working his magic. If it wasn't for Klopp we'd still be around 6th. 

I’m not sure what your point is. We’ve won things because they appointed Jurgen Klopp as manager. Very few clubs in this country have won the league or European Cup with a shit manager.

• Upvote 1

We obviously do need to strengthen or at least change the team up. 3 consecutive seasons of 90+ points and deep Champions League runs with the exact same players just doesn't happen. 

I personally think this season is being "sacrificed" a bit in the name of financial security. We'll challenge again obviously but I can difficultly see us keeping the intensity up to the highest level again. We're biding our time because we have years to go under Klopp and we're still in a "long term project" unlike most other sides and no one is under pressure to get sacked, or will be. 

Even City with all their resources found a 3rd straight season of going at nigh on 100 pts and their cup runs too much last season.

Feel we really should be looking to strengthen, especially with way this season will be following on so soon from end of last, games coming thicker and faster than ever.

We have not been this attractive a proposition for decades - we always used to use the mantra of build from a position of strength to get even stronger - feels like we are taking a real gamble choosing to stand still, especially when our rivals are strengthening all around us.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Seems to be an assumption that it's going to take 97+ points to win the title this season. Might well be. Equally might not. The last couple of seasons have been the exception.

Personally, I think given the cramped schedule, it’ll be less than 97 points but we should be aiming to get more than last season.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Personally, I think given the cramped schedule, it’ll be less than 97 points but we should be aiming to get more than last season.

Whatever the points total that wins it, I dont think there will be anything like a 10 point difference between 1s and 2nd. Can imagine this place being edgy if it is a close run thing!

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Seems to be an assumption that it's going to take 97+ points to win the title this season. Might well be. Equally might not. The last couple of seasons have been the exception.

Would like to think will be less and a more normal 'ask' although of course we could actually have won it with 82 last season....we didn't need 99/100 pts like the previous two seasons.

The potential ask pts wise though is not the issue for me, it is more about the same group of players being able to maintain a high level for a 3rd straight season and in a season that will be extremely demanding physically - City dropped off massively last season after 2 seasons like we have just had...If we drop in a similar way we won't be winning the title.

We've had a lot of luck with injuries no doubt about that and the drop off at centre back and up front is enormous.

Im more concerned with the lack of fans. Anfield is a major factor in driving us on. I also think Klopp thrives on it and it enables him and his backroom staff to be quite vocal without getting into to trouble as we saw against Chelsea with no fans.    

As Dave U mentioned, Liverpool v Leeds opening day fixture hosting as champions would have been such a great occasion.

I appreciate its all for the greater good but it niggles a bit