You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Remember when they came out with the "Fans could fund the ARE expansion"

Yeah. That was before "we need to get in the CL regularly and look at it". Then the sequel: "let's see how the Main Stand works out"

They were looking at building flats in it at one point. God knows how that would have worked.

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

Remember when they came out with the "Fans could fund the ARE expansion"

Fans have funded every stand rebuild at Anfield since the 1960s if not earlier through gate money. The original Kop, the Kemlyn redevelopment, the 1970 Main stand extension, the Upper Centenary extension, the seated Kop, the ARE Upper tier and the new Main stand.

33 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fans have funded every stand rebuild at Anfield since the 1960s if not earlier through gate money. The original Kop, the Kemlyn redevelopment, the 1970 Main stand extension, the Upper Centenary extension, the seated Kop, the ARE Upper tier and the new Main stand.

Yeah, but I don't think they meant through tickets did they? Wasn't it some type of bond or long term loan? The reason the stand isn't already there is because they said it would take 17 years to repay using the main stand model and they thought that was too long. 

26 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Yeah, but I don't think they meant through tickets did they? Wasn't it some type of bond or long term loan? The reason the stand isn't already there is because they said it would take 17 years to repay using the main stand model and they thought that was too long. 

Some fans might have been happy to do that in association with a season ticket. I really dont see what the problem is exploring ways to finance a stand. No one is forced to do it and ideas are free.

And once again, Id rather the club be self sufficient than have 70m - 100m lumped on it. Yeah, I know some say the owners should pay. How come they didnt insist Moores paid for 'new' Anfield when that was mooted? Oh, it was a different era /  thedesign was shite etc. OK so we're back to people wanting a mega wealthy individual financing the club. Better be careful what we wish for with that one in my opinion..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Some fans might have been happy to do that in association with a season ticket. I really dont see what the problem is exploring ways to finance a stand. No one is forced to do it and ideas are free.

And once again, Id rather the club be self sufficient than have 70m - 100m lumped on it. Yeah, I know some say the owners should pay. How come they didnt insist Moores paid for 'new' Anfield when that was mooted? Oh, it was a different era /  thedesign was shite etc. OK so we're back to people wanting a mega wealthy individual financing the club. Better be careful what we wish for with that one in my opinion..

Moores sold the club because he couldn't afford to stay. Sorting the stadium was something they agreed to do when the bought the club. I'm not arsed if it was paid for by loans like the main stand, but to expect individuals to do that when the club (fsg) would own it at the end can't be right surely? My personal opinion is they should have done the design and plan to do the road end at the same time as the main stand. If it was possible that should have been built in parallel and if not, directly sequential Instead of sitting  here years later looking at more pictures. All this fucking about is because they don't want to do it. They put together a solution that would have taken 17 years to pay using the main stand model. The club would have been paying for it, no gift from fsg, but that didn't meet their requirements because it didn't bring a quick enough return on investment. They're greedy cunts. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Moores sold the club because he couldn't afford to stay. Sorting the stadium was something they agreed to do when the bought the club. I'm not arsed if it was paid for by loans like the main stand, but to expect individuals to do that when the club (fsg) would own it at the end can't be right surely? My personal opinion is they should have done the design and plan to do the road end at the same time as the main stand. If it was possible that should have been built in parallel and if not, directly sequential I stead of sotto g here years later looking at more pictures. All this fucking about is because they don't want to do it. They put together a solution that would have taken 17 years to pay using the main stand model. The club would have been paying for it, no gift from fsg, but that didn't meet their requirements because it didn't bring a quick enough return on investment. They're greedy cunts. 

I wouldn't say they were greedy but they can be accused of cautiousness and maybe having more of an interest in their US sport ventures than in LFC. I don't know much about US sport myself but critics cite very big spending on the Red Sox and seemingly less so on LFC.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wouldn't say they were greedy but they can be accused of cautiousness and maybe having more of an interest in their US sport ventures than in LFC. I don't know much about US sport myself but critics cite very big spending on the Red Sox and seemingly less so on LFC.

At every turn they've proved themselves to want to squeeze everything they can out. Regardless of if that's a reluctance to spend on the squad or the stadium or the failed ideas with ticket prices and furlough. They're interest at every turn is how they can profit without needing to invest a cent. Even something that had a long term strategy like the anfield road they won't do as they are not interested in taking a loan only to start seeing a return in 17 years - although I firmly believe the issue there was the walk out over ticket prices and once they realised they couldn't make them twice the price of a kop ticket, for them there was no worthwhile project. I haven't seen them at any point do a thing that was not greedy. They've got a $2bn asset that's cost them $300m. Finding £60m to build the road end should be a no brainer - borrowing money has never been cheaper. Finding a small amount of money to support the manager and not lose what we've built after not spending in years, despite covid should be a no brainer. But they won't invest because the return on investment would only likely bring a return with silverware. In terms of income, we can do as well finishing 2nd as 1st, it won't be quite a much, but certainly not worth spending on a footballer unless we sell. Just like the road end, there's no return on investment. 

And sometimes you need to read between the lines. Last year when we didn't spend, klopp quickly squashed it saying the new contracts had cost us, how we had to pay our bills and how it was really difficult to find players better than ours anyway and then he didn't talk about it again. He's already mentioned a couple of times how there are players who could improve us but we've got to just suck it up because of an uncertain world. But he's allowing the conversation time and again. Imo he's clearly frustrated with the situation. He's not the type of fella who's going to stamp his feet like Rafa (which I'm glad about), but he clearly sees this group of players need some help if we're to stay on our perch. 

Tom Werner has repeatedly told us about the benefit of the virtuous circle. Yet here we are at last where we should be reaping the rewards of on-field success and we're settling to make life harder for the world's best manager and stick with a stand that is one of the worst in the league, when we've a waiting list as long as you can imagine waiting to take the seats. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

At every turn they've proved themselves to want to squeeze everything they can out. Regardless of if that's a reluctance to spend on the squad or the stadium or the failed ideas with ticket prices and furlough. They're interest at every turn is how they can profit without needing to invest a cent. Even something that had a long term strategy like the anfield road they won't do as they are not interested in taking a loan only to start seeing a return in 17 years - although I firmly believe the issue there was the walk out over ticket prices and once they realised they couldn't make them twice the price of a kop ticket, for them there was no worthwhile project. I haven't seen them at any point do a thing that was not greedy. They've got a $2bn asset that's cost them $300m. Finding £60m to build the road end should be a no brainer - borrowing money has never been cheaper. Finding a small amount of money to support the manager and not lose what we've built after not spending in years, despite covid should be a no brainer. But they won't invest because the return on investment would only likely bring a return with silverware. In terms of income, we can do as well finishing 2nd as 1st, it won't be quite a much, but certainly not worth spending on a footballer unless we sell. Just like the road end, there's no return on investment. 

And sometimes you need to read between the lines. Last year when we didn't spend, klopp quickly squashed it saying the new contracts had cost us, how we had to pay our bills and how it was really difficult to find players better than ours anyway and then he didn't talk about it again. He's already mentioned a couple of times how there are players who could improve us but we've got to just suck it up because of an uncertain world. But he's allowing the conversation time and again. Imo he's clearly frustrated with the situation. He's not the type of fella who's going to stamp his feet like Rafa (which I'm glad about), but he clearly sees this group of players need some help if we're to stay on our perch. 

Tom Werner has repeatedly told us about the benefit of the virtuous circle. Yet here we are at last where we should be reaping the rewards of on-field success and we're settling to make life harder for the world's best manager and stick with a stand that is one of the worst in the league, when we've a waiting list as long as you can imagine waiting to take the seats. 

This is about the top and bottom of it.  Nothing to do with sugar daddies and all that shit, it's about investing sensibly in this brilliant asset from a position of strength and so's not to concede ground to your competition.

If they don't well, when Klopp goes it's likely that the whole house of cards will come tumbling down. 

On 22/07/2020 at 09:35, The Gaul said:

Good post. In terms of uncertain world, 6 weeks ago company I work for were looking at redundancies for 150 people 20% of workforce yesterday they approved capital spend of 300k and are hiring (manufacturing firm not Amazon like). Anyway as you say FSG are all about the cents I firmly believe they are fluid enough in their planning that if there is a upside they will do what is right to protect and enhance the value of the asset which they eventually want to sell. I am expecting a Fab style surprise if I am being totally honest. 

Change of stance by the Echo today with an article about FSG. The plan now from the owners is to win both the Champions League and Premier League in the same season. 

Good that they are ambitious, pity they don't back it up with money. Like last season when John Henry said we needed to back Klopp to go all out to win the Premier League so we bought a teenager from Holland and a back up keeper who cost nothing.

31 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Good post. In terms of uncertain world, 6 weeks ago company I work for were looking at redundancies for 150 people 20% of workforce yesterday they approved capital spend of 300k and are hiring (manufacturing firm not Amazon like). Anyway as you say FSG are all about the cents I firmly believe they are fluid enough in their planning that if there is a upside they will do what is right to protect and enhance the value of the asset which they eventually want to sell. I am expecting a Fab style surprise if I am being totally honest. 

While I'm sure they have an exit plan and certainly there's always a price, I'm not convinced they're desperate to sell right now. They know the peak of the media curve and as a consequence the likely peak of our ability to continue large year on year growth (unless something like a European super League comes along), will come with whatever happens with streaming services around the next TV deal or perhaps the one after. They've been very open they'd be willing to sell a slice. But they seem have little appetite to sell us in entirety. What I actually think is the most likely outcome is the investors of fsg executing their own individual exit plan from fsg rather than fsg being desperate to exit LFC. I've said for years, just look at what New York Times did and I think you can see the investment model right there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Change of stance by the Echo today with an article about FSG. The plan now from the owners is to win both the Champions League and Premier League in the same season. 

Good that they are ambitious, pity they don't back it up with money. Like last season when John Henry said we needed to back Klopp to go all out to win the Premier League so we bought a teenager from Holland and a back up keeper who cost nothing.

I read that and it amused me greatly. I've recently been doing a piece of consultancy for a tech firm who have been on a growth curve for a number of years. I sat in on their company town hall and in it they talked about the numbers being down in 1H 2020. They've lost sales staff, lost pipeline due to covid and had some client churn. But the sales team we're told "so here's some new increased targets for you to hit in 2H". When asked "well how do we do this if we don't recruit, have new products or get to see new prospects because of covid" the response was "well just get on, work it out and do it". Fsgs master plan of "win the big 2 next year with no help" is pretty much the same. 

10 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

While I'm sure they have an exit plan and certainly there's always a price, I'm not convinced they're desperate to sell right now. They know the peak of the media curve and as a consequence the likely peak of our ability to continue large year on year growth (unless something like a European super League comes along), will come with whatever happens with streaming services around the next TV deal or perhaps the one after. They've been very open they'd be willing to sell a slice. But they seem have little appetite to sell us in entirety. What I actually think is the most likely outcome is the investors of fsg executing their own individual exit plan from fsg rather than fsg being desperate to exit LFC. I've said for years, just look at what New York Times did and I think you can see the investment model right there. 

Agree with this.  There's no reason at all why the FSG vehicle shouldn't hold us for the long term with individual investors trading in and out of it as they want. 

People keep trotting out this exit plan mantra. Well if your exit plan doesnt include exiting at the top of a curve, they dont have much of a plan. Undoubtedly, the club's worth is probably at it's highest. At the same time this virus stuff is going to give an underlying downward trend over the next 12 months at least.

If they had an exit plan, now is the best time to implement it not 12, 24 or 36 months in the future. Ergo, they dont have an exit plan. They may have a plan to speed up investment by a 3rd party into the club though.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

People keep trotting out this exit plan mantra. Well if your exit plan doesnt include exiting at the top of a curve, they dont have much of a plan. Undoubtedly, the club's worth is probably at it's highest. At the same time this virus stuff is going to give an underlying downward trend over the next 12 months at least.

If they had an exit plan, now is the best time to implement it not 12, 24 or 36 months in the future. Ergo, they dont have an exit plan. They may have a plan to speed up investment by a 3rd party into the club though.

There's not an investment vehicle anywhere that doesn't have an exit plan. They'll have had an exit plan as part of their procurement process. The exit plan might change over time, but they absolutely will have an exit point at all times. They'd be fucking imbeciles if they didn't have an exit plan. 

Let's be honest their exit plan from day 1 has been increase the value till they get a offer to good to turn down. 

They'll sell as soon as some (probable) cunt of a oil, asset robbing bastard stumps up well over a billion to take control. 

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

There's not an investment vehicle anywhere that doesn't have an exit plan. They'll have had an exit plan as part of their procurement process. The exit plan might change over time, but they absolutely will have an exit point at all times. They'd be fucking imbeciles if they didn't have an exit plan. 

Well Ive no intention of selling my house but I keep it in good condition and presentable in case someone rocks up at the door and makes me a stupid off to sell. I dont have an exit strategy though.

Like I said, people keep trotting it out (yet more hyperbole by the way) but keep ignoring the obvious. Investments go down from a peak. I keep hearing FSG bought the club on the cheap, £300+m and that it's now worth over £1.3bn. That's a billion quid profit if they sold tomorrow and the club's stock has never been higher.

There is no exit strategy despite now is THE time to sell. World, European and English Champions, it doesnt get better than that never mind the clear and obvious drop in income all clubs will experience in the next 12 months.

They've talked about naming rights deals for the Main Stand and being open to selling a minority stake in the club. Neither of which have happened. That also tells me there's currently no known mega rich investment vehicle looking to take a stake in Liverpool never mind buy it.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Well Ive no intention of selling my house but I keep it in good condition and presentable in case someone rocks up at the door and makes me a stupid off to sell. I dont have an exit strategy though.

Like I said, people keep trotting it out (yet more hyperbole by the way) but keep ignoring the obvious. Investments go down from a peak. I keep hearing FSG bought the club on the cheap, £300+m and that it's now worth over £1.3bn. That's a billion quid profit if they sold tomorrow and the club's stock has never been higher.

There is no exit strategy despite now is THE time to sell. World, European and English Champions, it doesnt get better than that never mind the clear and obvious drop in income all clubs will experience in the next 12 months.

They've talked about naming rights deals for the Main Stand and being open to selling a minority stake in the club. Neither of which have happened. That also tells me there's currently no known mega rich investment vehicle looking to take a stake in Liverpool never mind buy it.

I've literally worked in sell-side M&A representation within the sports industry (and have worked on deals involving American hedge-fund owners more broadly). I say that to say this...

You don't know what you are talking about. They absolutely have an exit strategy. They had one the day they walked in here. 

10 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Sorry mate. I’m just not clear. Do you think they have an exit plan ? 

• Upvote 2