You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

On 12/08/2022 at 18:30, dockers_strike said:

Doubters gonna doubt.

Sometimes I think what Jürgen says can be open to interpretation. He mentioned during the press conference that "we cannot increase rhthym or find money because others are buying players".

One interpretation of that is that the money wasn't available to spend before others spent money so why would it be now. If it is the case that the issue to buying players is because money is not available inspite of us making a profit last summer, having a great season, reducing the wage bill and being quite close to break even again this summer then you may why that is the case and if it is down to the owners being risk averse.

However, Jürgen may not have meant that and may have purely been saying that we do things our own way and won't go spending money or changing our methods in response to others actions. I have seen people interpret what he said both ways.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The club spends what it earns, we sold Mane for a very small fee but he wanted to go, we signed Diaz and Nunez. Wheres the rest of the cash  coming from. If we had more injuries in midfield I reckon we'd be looking for free transfers or very low fee players. They won't break the mould.

Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the money than me can explain it but I struggle to see how, if it really is lack of funds that are stopping us be active, why that is the case.

If its still the impacts of the pandemic that makes an element of sense. However the Echo suggested some of the money from the Redbird deal would be/was pumped into the club to help with stadium costs etc and we have pretty been net neutral in terms of transfer fees (and probably contract renewals) the last few summers, brought the wage bill down and had a very successful season. If we cannot afford say £40m on a midfielder and spend £100m next summer (with some likely sales) on probably just one purchase (Bellingham) when will we be able to have a net spend? We cannot be much more successful on the pitch.

The owners say we can only spend what we earn but are happy to take on debt if its for the stadium. That may well make sense as it increases the value of your asset but sometimes it feels as though, if you are happy to have debt, then why not have a bit on transfers. If its the difference between winning a league or CL then is it worth the short term hit? I know that there are no guarantees that players will make that much difference but if you trust the people you employ and they feel it will then perhaps have faith in them. Especially if its £30-40m.

It just feels like while you are at the top/very near, taking some small/moderate risks to stay there will pay off in the long term, especially with this manager. Another couple of CL/leagues and surely we would be making Utd level of commercial income and would be truly sustainable and still compete at the top level.

If you drop off the ramifications are so huge. You would need to invest like Arsenal and Utd are doing but without the cache we currently have. Isn't it a virtuous cycle?

I don't currently get what Chelsea are doing as Boehly has made a big thing about being mates with FSG and running the club self sustainably. If thats true, how can they be spending what they are while we cannot afford to do more than net neutral?

It may appear that I am having a dig at the owners but I just struggle to make up my mind over whether they are really good (because they have done a lot of good things - Jürgen, sporting director, training ground and the ground, managed the club through a pandemic) or whether their marketing is really good (training ground and ground are paid for by the club, debt on club for things that directly increase asset value,  justification for not putting money in is because they don't take money out while sitting on an asset that has increased by possibly 1000 per cent and this directly impacts value of FSG shares).

Someone maybe able to explain why all of what they do makes sense (for the club) apart from the "existing in 20 years"argument, I am just interested to hear the justification.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The club spends what it earns, we sold Mane for a very small fee but he wanted to go, we signed Diaz and Nunez. Wheres the rest of the cash  coming from. If we had more injuries in midfield I reckon we'd be looking for free transfers or very low fee players. They won't break the mould.

Derp posters can’t explain that, hence why they choose to ignore it.

Also see the summer signings of Alisson, Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri. The Coutinho money didn’t stretch that far…

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Going to come crashing down spectacularly this season like Klopps last year at dortmund. Only so much you an squeeze out of the same set of players. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see us in the bottom half of the table 

Says the poster who said we'd be lucky to finish above Villa last year.

17 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Going to come crashing down spectacularly this season like Klopps last year at dortmund. Only so much you an squeeze out of the same set of players. 

The players are dead on their feet, and some of them are finished at this level.

They've been magnificent, but you can only play so many games at that level of immense consistency before it catches up with you!

There's a lot of players in the squad who just don't have it in them anymore, Fabinho the prime example!

3 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Sell to buy from will just sit on their hands again and do nothing. Then just tell the local press how clever they are and how past recruitment justifies it. 

Yeah, I do hate that, self congratulatory crap that gets replayed over and over again. The planning 3 windows ahead, all the data in the world and yet supposedly the reason we aren't spending any money is not because FSG aren't backing us but because those same guys cannot find a gem in all that data to go alongside a deal for Bellingham next summer.

In addition that data has not identified a trend that a number of our players are becoming more injury prone and we also have contracts expiring next summer. How, if they are so good and plan ahead and backing is not the problem have we arrived in this situation? It doesn't add up.

I saw an article the other day from a guy that proposed to know the seniors within the recruitment group and supposedly they love watching transfer deadline day and laughing as all the other clubs rush around. Hopefully they aren't really that arrogant/complacent.

I just don't think the money is there. I personally don't see why FSG couldn't pay off some of the stadium loans (as it sits outside FFP) and allow the club to buy some more players and perhaps keep the debt at where it stands today. Clearly they are happy with us having that level of debt so why not use it to allow us to improve the squad while improving the stands. Are there valid reasons why that is not a feasible option? (asking those who know more about accounting + FFP than me).

2 hours ago, HBenn said:

Yeah, I do hate that, self congratulatory crap that gets replayed over and over again. The planning 3 windows ahead, all the data in the world and yet supposedly the reason we aren't spending any money is not because FSG aren't backing us but because those same guys cannot find a gem in all that data to go alongside a deal for Bellingham next summer.

In addition that data has not identified a trend that a number of our players are becoming more injury prone and we also have contracts expiring next summer. How, if they are so good and plan ahead and backing is not the problem have we arrived in this situation? It doesn't add up.

I saw an article the other day from a guy that proposed to know the seniors within the recruitment group and supposedly they love watching transfer deadline day and laughing as all the other clubs rush around. Hopefully they aren't really that arrogant/complacent.

I just don't think the money is there. I personally don't see why FSG couldn't pay off some of the stadium loans (as it sits outside FFP) and allow the club to buy some more players and perhaps keep the debt at where it stands today. Clearly they are happy with us having that level of debt so why not use it to allow us to improve the squad while improving the stands. Are there valid reasons why that is not a feasible option? (asking those who know more about accounting + FFP than me).

FFP is a load of bollocks. Chelsea are about spunk 200m in one window. It’s a convenient excuse. It’s like protesting there’s a speed limit in a drag race between teenagers on an empty strip of the M1 at 3am in the morning.

We won’t spend because we have tight arse cunts at the helm. The mental gymnastic in the fanbase to excuse them is hilarious. Klopp doesn’t like a big squad, I trust the manager, we give loads of bonuses in wages, COVID hit us really hard, etc etc. As somebody who works in corporate finance for the biggest investment bank in the world, I find it hilarious some of the bollocks some people believe about our ownership model. 

They bought an asset which has grown over 10x due to us being distressed at purchase, industry inflation, and finding a fucking magician of a manager who has somehow made us a global success despite spending fuck all. They are singing all the way to the bank, whatever happens here on in. Even if we don’t win a title for 10 years, their investment is more than sound. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Daisy said:

It wont be that bad I don’t think, but we cannot sustain full throttle seasons one after another. A pattern is emerging. We won the league followed by a ‘half throttled’ season of key injuries, then the cycle continues the following season (silverware x 2 plus an almost dead heat in Prem, and a massive run in the champions league)

Last season fucked the squad so it’ll be half throttle again this season, hopefully scraping top four (again).

So its our off season. Last season was a go-hard season, this season is an off season. Next season we’ll muster another gargantuan run, but in the meantime, lets just take a season off. Its the pattern. The squad is not Man City, and never will be.

• Like 1

It seems incredibly foolish not to invest in a top quality midfielder or two before the window closes. Miss out on the CL this season, and it'll be a case of having to spend 2-300m+ next summer without selling any key players to remain in top four contention or 'spending what we earn' in the context of a Europa League / Conference level club.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

It seems incredibly foolish not to invest in a top quality midfielder or two before the window closes. Miss out on the CL this season, and it'll be a case of having to spend 2-300m+ next summer without selling any key players to remain in top four contention.

We always have to sell to buy. Its just getting more difficult about who to sell.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HBenn said:

It is all bullshit. All this planning 3 windows in advance is utter shit. What if the player you want to buy 3 Windows down the line gets injured, becomes shit or ends up going to a rival?.

They seem to put out a couple of names that are hard to buy or the club won't sell at all just to say "next summer will be a big one" but it just never happens. If Mane had stayed we would have only bought two young players for around £10m then let Mane leave as a free agent. Yet again Klopp has no transfer funds apart from what he generates in sales. 

Billy Hogan said the other day that once the club gets the full benefit of the Nike deal they will be "firing on all cylinders". So that's in addition to the last 5 years CL money, bigger ground, bigger commercial deals, lower net spend than some promoted teams and playing every game last year, gaining the highest TV revenue in the league the last few seasons?. Charging £30 for memberships per season when you have very little chance of ever attending a Premier League game. The best you can hope for is a League 2 club at home in the League Cup. They've always been penny pinching twats. 

Why aren't we firing on all cylinders now?. Or do we have to wait another 2 seasons after that to see the benefit of the Anfield Road end development?

They love telling the world how clever they are and constantly patting themselves on the back. I saw that quote about transfer deadline day and if its true it is very arrogant and complacent. 

• Upvote 3