You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Just now, Moo said:

To be fair it usually looks like we are.

Yeah, we definitely don't normally spend shit loads of money, and normally recoup a reasonable amount each summer.  But that's just been fairly standard trading really in selling players the manager didn't really want. 

When was the last time we sold a big player in their prime to fund purchases of others?  Coutinho?

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we assume that Salah is going to be allowed to leave on a free next summer, where are we going to find the funds to replace him, and bring in at least one midfielder?

We could lose Salah, Keita, Ox and Milner all on a free next summer. How do we replace them if we are reliant on selling to buy?

There's a reason the club has been plugging away to increase our commercial power, we have a new shirt sponsor in 2023 to add to that. 

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're stuck on the number. Making a profit of double the initial fee on a fringe player is really good.

Also, making massive profits requires selling players on long contracts, which we haven't done recently, because top players don't want to leave us as much anymore. That's not a bad thing. They leave if we can't agree on new contracts, not because we're shite, like before.

It's nowhere near the sort of fee we would have hoped to get though. That's been the problem for a while now. Look at the fees of all our recent sales, Shaqiri, Wilson, Gruijc.

All of them were way less than what we quoted we wanted.

Looking at the squad now, we've virtually exhausted any opportunity for sales next summer, yet realistically we will need at least two possibly three players that can go straight in to the first team.

We've done incredibly well to assemble a world class team with a highest wage of 240k a week, but how long will that continue? My guess is not very long once three to four English clubs are prepared to pay more.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

It's nowhere near the sort of fee we would have hoped to get though. That's been the problem for a while now. Look at the fees of all our recent sales, Shaqiri, Wilson, Gruijc.

Looking at the squad now, we've virtually exhausted any opportunity for sales next summer, yet realistically we will need at least two possibly three players that can go straight in to the first team.

We've done incredibly well to assemble a world class team with a highest wage of 240k a week, but how long will that continue? My guess is not very long once three to four English clubs are prepared to pay more.

I'm not sure how you're projecting this. We're about to sucker some idiot into paying 15-20m for Neco Williams.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not sure how you're projecting this. We're about to sucker some idiot into paying 15-20m for Neco Williams.

It sounds like it will be a total fee of up to £15 million. Again though I would say that is less than we would have hoped to get.

We got more for the likes of Brewster and Solanke. 

Who can sell next summer to raise enough money to replace Salah and ideally bring in two to three good midfielders?

6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think we got a bit ambitious with the Wilson and Grujic fees, and turned down some decent offers, then covid took a big chunk out of the mid-tier club market, so we had pulled down our own pants a bit.

We'll be back trying to do the same, but I don't think the idea is any different from any other club though right?  Sell players the manager doesn't want for as much money as you can.  

It could be that Klopp thinks he could improve on Curtis Jones and/or Harvey Elliot this time next season.  

• Upvote 1

It sounds like it will be a total fee of up to £15 million. Again though I would say that is less than we would have hoped to get.

Who can sell next summer to raise enough money to replace Salah and ideally bring in two to three good midfielders?

We were selling within England for Solanke and Brewster and pre-covid.

People underestimate how flush with cash the English league is compared with other leagues.

If players leave and we need numbers, we'll spend money, regardless of sales. That's what clubs do; they spend to back new managers/to take the proverbial next step when it's there to be taken and when the squad needs numbers.

And anyway, someone will pop us and make us a nice profit, they always do.

17 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

It could be that Klopp thinks he could improve on Curtis Jones and/or Harvey Elliot this time next season.  

I hope so.

It feels more like we are having to make do with the midfield though.

For instance it's clear that Ox wasn't part of Klopps plans at the end of last season and the stories were that he would be allowed to leave this summer. However now we appear to be backtracking and saying that he will stay.

I remember the stories were that we wanted a midfielder last summer, but were told that 2022 would be a better year to sort out the midfield. I accepted that because the likes of Kessie and Zakiria were out of contract and that the Brighton player that's just moved to Spurs would be down to the last year of his contract so it made sense. However now we are essentially being told the same thing again.

It's frustrating because I think all other areas of the team are fine, but we've failed to address the area that most needed attention. We might be fine for numbers, but the quality simply isn't there in midfield,  Thiago and Fabhino aside. We know that Thiago will probably only be available for about two thirds of our games too.

I did think we were waiting for Bellingham next summer, but the comments we made a few days ago about not being prepared to pay big wages to young players mean we can forget that. 

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I hope so.

It feels more like we are having to make do with the midfield though.

For instance it's clear that Ox wasn't part of Klopps plans at the end of last season and the stories were that he would be allowed to leave this summer. However now we appear to be backtracking and saying that he will stay.

I remember the stories were that we wanted a midfielder last summer, but were told that 2022 would be a better year to sort out the midfield. I accepted that because the likes of Kessie and Zakiria were out of contract and that the Brighton player that's just moved to Spurs would be down to the last year of his contract so it made sense. However now we are essentially being told the same thing again.

It's frustrating because I think all other areas of the team are fine, but we've failed to address the area that most needed attention. We might be fine for numbers, but the quality simply isn't there in midfield,  Thiago and Fabhino aside. We know that Thiago will probably only be available for about two thirds of our games too.

I did think we were waiting for Bellingham next summer, but the comments we made a few days ago about not being prepared to pay big wages to young players mean we can forget that. 

It does seem like we are making do in midfield, because we obviously tried to do something there by going for Tchouameni before he decided to go to Madrid.

Would we have spent 60 million on him and then another massive chunk on Bellingham next season?  Doubtful for me, so I think the Bellingham chat has always been bollocks.  I also don't think the LFC journalists know anything these days so most of the talk is just content generation.

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

It does seem like we are making do in midfield, because we obviously tried to do something there by going for Tchouameni before he decided to go to Madrid.

Would we have spent 60 million on him and then another massive chunk on Bellingham next season?  Doubtful for me, so I think the Bellingham chat has always been bollocks.  I also don't think the LFC journalists know anything these days so most of the talk is just content generation.

Paul Joyce is one exception IMO. He’s always on the money. 

17 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah I do think that the Bellingham stories are a bit like the Mbappe stories where we are happy to be linked to the player as it gives the impression that we are in for Europe's best young players, but in reality we won't actually get them.

Now that Tchoaumeni has turned us down, I don't understand why we haven't moved on to our next target?

Let's say that Bellingham is our next choice but then we don't get him next summer, do we wait another year?

I don't believe that we have decided Tchoaumeni was the only player that we have identified that could improve our midfield this season.

As somebody else mentioned in another thread, it feels like the Nunez transfer only happened because the Tchoaumeni deal didn't happen, which points to us only having a pretty limited budget this summer.

This is why I have major concerns over how we are going to afford what should be a big summer of transfers next season.

25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah I do think that the Bellingham stories are a bit like the Mbappe stories where we are happy to be linked to the player as it gives the impression that we are in for Europe's best young players, but in reality we won't actually get them.

Now that Tchoaumeni has turned us down, I don't understand why we haven't moved on to our next target?

Let's say that Bellingham is our next choice but then we don't get him next summer, do we wait another year?

I don't believe that we have decided Tchoaumeni was the only player that we have identified that could improve our midfield this season.

As somebody else mentioned in another thread, it feels like the Nunez transfer only happened because the Tchoaumeni deal didn't happen, which points to us only having a pretty limited budget this summer.

This is why I have major concerns over how we are going to afford what should be a big summer of transfers next season.

Well, I think it's because we have transitioned to mainly longer term thinking.  We generally aren't buying squad players any more, just going for players we think are top notch.  So maybe there isn't another midfielder available that we think is at that level. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/06/2022 at 23:44, MegadriveMan said:

If we assume that Salah is going to be allowed to leave on a free next summer, where are we going to find the funds to replace him, and bring in at least one midfielder?

We could lose Salah, Keita, Ox and Milner all on a free next summer. How do we replace them if we are reliant on selling to buy?

We definitely need to sign a young midfielder this summer and another one next summer, unless Curtis and/or Elliott steps up massively this season. 

Firmino is another one we could lose next year on a free.

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

They’ve won numerous trophies under several managers, as have City

Because of a massive and unsustainable (for other clubs and now probably Chelsea) turn over of players.

Lampard spent 200 million at Chelsea and the next Summer they were ripping it up and starting again with another 100 million of the likes of Lukaku, they're now on their third go at it with another complete rebuild.

It's weird to paint the loss of a top manager as some unique issue that only impacts us and that recruitment isn't completely tied in to the ability of the manager to both by in to the system and make the best of it.