You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

• 2 weeks later...

*not a fuck FSG post, but whilst I am here, go fuck yourselves FSG*

I can't find another thread that is better suited than this but I think the next 6-12 months are really important in shaping how Klopp's final four years (as things stand) play out.

FSG have the best manager in the world, undoubtedly IMO. They've built a sporting model that has served the clubs sporting health well, if not perfectly, but much of that run of success is now actively transitioning. Michael Edwards is leaving this summer, which is a massive loss if the role he's purportedly to have played wasn't exaggerated over the past few years. Much of our first team are reaching their post-peak years and either due to decline or leave (or have left). External threats continue to emerge and clubs like Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham will only make it more difficult to pick up talent.

So what is the club's next evolution? How do we make sure Klopp doesn't walk away having won only 1 PL title?

I just think that in order to win on and off the pitch, we have to more actively be the smartest guys in the room. We need to be far more aggressive commercially, with clubs like City just siphoning in millions from the Sheik's friends and family. FSG don't have a cluster of arabs to call but they are entrenched in corporate america. We've recently had an NFT launch and here in New York, we did a VR experience back in March; but we need to double down on the shit ton of money floating around in big tech and content consumption (recession aside). We should be talking to Meta about an exclusive Oculus VR experience or Netflix for exclusive content deals. Standard Chartered's sponsorship deal is due to wind down so it'll be interesting who we get next. I don't anticipate us to sell naming rights to Anfield, I think FSG themselves have an aversion to that (see Fenway Park).

My worry is that from outside in, it looks like we are just trying to sustain. I'm hoping that internally, we're trying to evolve, because we fucking have to. The ESL was our big play at doing that, but with that gone, I hope we're working fucking hard on something else.

• Upvote 1

Lots of talk about massive uplifts in sponsorships from standard chartered and Expedia etc. That will help of course.

In terms or meta and crypto, is that the smartest play given the latest crypto crash. Is it safe for the club to be too entrenched in that world.

I think Klopp also said any Amazon type deal would see him walk away as he wouldn’t want cameras in the dressing rooms.

Though I take the point being made, the more visibility we have the bigger we become.

Stadium development will bring in what, another ten million a season and corporate sponsorship will increase through that.

Still think united are the benchmark for sponsorships in this country given they’ve official whiskey, wine etc. but we are growing and will overtake them soon.

Lots of doors could open soon for the club, I’m sure.

2 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Lots of talk about massive uplifts in sponsorships from standard chartered and Expedia etc. That will help of course.

In terms or meta and crypto, is that the smartest play given the latest crypto crash. Is it safe for the club to be too entrenched in that world.

I think Klopp also said any Amazon type deal would see him walk away as he wouldn’t want cameras in the dressing rooms.

Though I take the point being made, the more visibility we have the bigger we become.

Stadium development will bring in what, another ten million a season and corporate sponsorship will increase through that.

Still think united are the benchmark for sponsorships in this country given they’ve official whiskey, wine etc. but we are growing and will overtake them soon.

Lots of doors could open soon for the club, I’m sure.

On the shirt sponsor, I'd argue we have been the most visible and iconic football brand for the past 5 years and thus, we really need to be fighting for a deal that blows all out of water. SC and Expedia are not the behemoths that I think will do that. 

I don't think we should be anywhere near crypto (and honestly, I grimaced when we launched NFTs although I did understand why we did). Digital experiences (VR/AR) we should be 100000% all over though. That is the future of content consumption and I'd wager that it's unchartered territory for most clubs right now. If we got in there early we could really create a new channel of revenue.

The Amazon documentaries intrigued me. Netflix and Disney (Hulu/ESPN/Disney+) will no doubt have seen those and similar to the 'Drive to Survive' series, see the value in that content. You have a guaranteed 103 million fans across the world who would tune in to watch as a minimum. If we could negotiate a content deal that did not enter the dressing room, I think it would be massive (50-75m). 

Agree on UTD. It beggars belief that we haven't yet left them in our dust though. It's the one thing I thought FSG would truly excel at.

10 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

*not a fuck FSG post, but whilst I am here, go fuck yourselves FSG*

I can't find another thread that is better suited than this but I think the next 6-12 months are really important in shaping how Klopp's final four years (as things stand) play out.

FSG have the best manager in the world, undoubtedly IMO. They've built a sporting model that has served the clubs sporting health well, if not perfectly, but much of that run of success is now actively transitioning. Michael Edwards is leaving this summer, which is a massive loss if the role he's purportedly to have played wasn't exaggerated over the past few years. Much of our first team are reaching their post-peak years and either due to decline or leave (or have left). External threats continue to emerge and clubs like Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham will only make it more difficult to pick up talent.

So what is the club's next evolution? How do we make sure Klopp doesn't walk away having won only 1 PL title?

I just think that in order to win on and off the pitch, we have to more actively be the smartest guys in the room. We need to be far more aggressive commercially, with clubs like City just siphoning in millions from the Sheik's friends and family. FSG don't have a cluster of arabs to call but they are entrenched in corporate america. We've recently had an NFT launch and here in New York, we did a VR experience back in March; but we need to double down on the shit ton of money floating around in big tech and content consumption (recession aside). We should be talking to Meta about an exclusive Oculus VR experience or Netflix for exclusive content deals. Standard Chartered's sponsorship deal is due to wind down so it'll be interesting who we get next. I don't anticipate us to sell naming rights to Anfield, I think FSG themselves have an aversion to that (see Fenway Park).

My worry is that from outside in, it looks like we are just trying to sustain. I'm hoping that internally, we're trying to evolve, because we fucking have to. The ESL was our big play at doing that, but with that gone, I hope we're working fucking hard on something else.

In terms of competiotors it will be interesting to see how Chelsea act now. Saw something the other day in the Athletic saying Boehly sees the commercial side of PL clubs as being massively undeveloped.

Also, his comments on FFP were very interesting. He clearly is big mates with FSG and looks like they will be another one banging the drum for FFP. Before I imagine Man U and us were banging the drum while Chelsea and City were doing everything to ignore them  At least now, it is another powerful voice pushing for it. 

Looking at the fees we have got for Mane and Minamino, I think the FSG transfer strategy is coming to an end. I think the days of big fees and long contracts are over.

There is no question that FSG have done an incredible job, but I don't see how they can continue to take us forward now?

Anyone else concerned that we don't appear to

have any transfer funds or very little?

We've signed Nunez for £65m but have brought in £35m for Sadio and £15m or so for Taki.

Although Singing Nunez is a great move if thats the only first team player we sign it will be extremely poor considering We've lost Sadio. 

I hope we see some more players coming in. 

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Looking at the fees we have got for Mane and Minamino, I think the FSG transfer strategy is coming to an end. I think the days of big fees and long contracts are over.

There is no question that FSG have done an incredible job, but I don't see how they can continue to take us forward now?

Haven't they just broken Liverpool's transfer record to sign Darwin Nunez?

12 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

See, I don't get this sentiment. We doubled our money on Minamino. That is exactly the same big profit we have always made. We'll always do that and reinvest. 

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Erm, don't think so.

Having said that I'm ever hopeful, against my better judgement. I don't expect anything more to happen with these tight bastards but you just never know until the Sky transfer window slams shut.

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Erm, don't think so.

Having said that I'm ever hopeful, against my better judgement. I don't expect anything more to happen with these tight bastards but you just never know until the Sky transfer window slams shut.

How do you figure that? Assuming all conditions are met the price will be a club record.

Assuming all conditions are not met, the club is about to enter freefall.

I'm in the 'all conditions being met' camp as we've lost many players over the years and come out stronger.

No-one is bigger than the club etc.

25 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Anyone else concerned that we don't appear to

have any transfer funds or very little?

We've signed Nunez for £65m but have brought in £35m for Sadio and £15m or so for Taki.

Although Singing Nunez is a great move if thats the only first team player we sign it will be extremely poor considering We've lost Sadio. 

I hope we see some more players coming in. 

You're confusing lack of funds with not signing players for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes, but only on the basis that we'd get a big chunk of that money back from the sales of Mane and Minamino.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

See, I don't get this sentiment. We doubled our money on Minamino. That is exactly the same big profit we have always made. We'll always do that and reinvest. 

I wouldn't call 7.5 million a big profit!

We haven't actually made a big profit on a transfer for a while. That's the point I was making, that particular strategy isn't going to work anymore.

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

How do you figure that? Assuming all conditions are met the price will be a club record.

Assuming all conditions are not met, the club is about to enter freefall.

I'm in the 'all conditions being met' camp as we've lost many players over the years and come out stronger.

No-one is bigger than the club etc.

Well it's quite simple in the sense that until those conditions are met we are not liable for the extras.  By which time it's possible we may have actually broke the club record on a different player.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yes, but only on the basis that we'd get a big chunk of that money back from the sales of Mane and Minamino.

I'm not sure I agree, was it always in stone that Mane and Minamino would leave once the club had decided Nunez was a good move? One yes, one not so sure. 

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wouldn't call 7.5 million a big profit!

We haven't actually made a big profit on a transfer for a while. That's the point I was making, that particular strategy isn't going to work anymore.

You're stuck on the number. Making a profit of double the initial fee on a fringe player is really good.

Also, making massive profits requires selling players on long contracts, which we haven't done recently, because top players don't want to leave us as much anymore. That's not a bad thing. They leave if we can't agree on new contracts, not because we're shite, like before.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

Well it's quite simple in the sense that until those conditions are met we are not liable for the extras.  By which time it's possible we may have actually broke the club record on a different player.

So either way, unfuck FSG?

If we assume that Salah is going to be allowed to leave on a free next summer, where are we going to find the funds to replace him, and bring in at least one midfielder?

We could lose Salah, Keita, Ox and Milner all on a free next summer. How do we replace them if we are reliant on selling to buy?

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we assume that Salah is going to be allowed to leave on a free next summer, where are we going to find the funds to replace him, and bring in at least one midfielder?

We could lose Salah, Keita, Ox and Milner all on a free next summer. How do we replace them if we are reliant on selling to buy?

Maybe we're not reliant on selling to buy?

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

A-ha, that's it, saving all our money for next summer.  Not a bad idea as all but Salah should be out the door asap.

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Kaide Gordon could save the club millions.

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We're obviously not completely reliant on sell to buy, it's just sound business to have low net spend. If there are holes in the squad in terms of numbers to replace, we will spend. That's when teams spend. That's not the same situation as what we're doing right now; waiting specifically on the right players because the numbers are there.