You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Could use another one of these.

TBF Mane took a huge step up from what he was at Soton and swapped flanks the next year. Jota will never be at the level Mane was 30 months ago - unfortunately, it seems,  neither will Sadio.

Salah will go down as one of the great transfer steals of all time.

Agreed. Maybe my expectations are too high.

44 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He has a little more to his game I agree - not three times though.

You're right, he's not three times the player, but value for money doesn't win you titles: the best players do. 

When United failed to sign Mane (under Van Gaal) and we bought him instead, that changed the respective fortunes of both clubs. The case of Werner and Jota, in my mind, is the same thing. We not only lost ground, Chelsea got one over on us, and it elevated them in the process. That was solely down to FSG's penny-pinching, as usual. 

We've been linked to some good players over the last two seasons - at fair prices. Sarr for £30m, Bissouma for £35m, Werner for £50m. Just signing them would've kept us competitive right at the very top.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Boss said:

You're right, he's not three times the player, but value for money doesn't win you titles: the best players do. 

When United failed to sign Mane (under Van Gaal) and we bought him instead, that changed the respective fortunes of both clubs. The case of Werner and Jota, in my mind, is the same thing. We not only lost ground, Chelsea got one over on us, and it elevated them in the process. That was solely down to FSG's penny-pinching, as usual. 

We've been linked to some good players over the last two seasons - at fair prices. Sarr for £30m, Bissouma for £35m, Werner for £50m. Just signing them would've kept us competitive right at the very top.

Werner is pish, bullet dodged!

44 minutes ago, stringvest said:

it was different, though the principle is the same.  It should not be beyond the wit of man to adjust your setup / shape in the game.  It's frustrating that we appear not to be able to respond to such situations.

I don't agree we don't or can't react. City are exceptional at what they do, they were dragging  Henderson and Jones all over the place, we tried to do something in the first half and it didn't work. The changes we made at half time did, Foden's goal was the first time in the 2nd half he got anywhere near the ball.

We make in game changes all the time, usually small adjustments but often very effective. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Boss said:

Chelsea got one over on us, and it elevated them in the process. That was solely down to FSG's penny-pinching, as usual. 

They are going to sell him don't you think? Clever that.

As said above, thinking of Werner as a 50 m fee is not reality. The other two fees I don't know much of - could use a body of higher quality than a few of those we have now agreed.

Just checked the table, seems like we are.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They are going to sell him don't you think? Clever that.

As said above, thinking of Werner as a 50 m fee is not reality. The other two fees I don't know much of - could use a body of higher quality than a few of those we have now agreed.

Just checked the table, seems like we are.

Chelsea sell a lot of players. They sold Lukaku only to buy him back for 100m. They sold arguably the two best players in the league over the last few seasons (De Bruyne, Salah). It doesn't reflect badly on Werner any more than those other transfers did. 

I reckon we'll fall away this season. City bring on Sterling and Gundogan and Chelsea bring on Kante and Mount, and we bring on Curtis Jones and James Milner. It's not the same, is it? 

55 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't agree we don't or can't react. City are exceptional at what they do, they were dragging  Henderson and Jones all over the place, we tried to do something in the first half and it didn't work. The changes we made at half time did, Foden's goal was the first time in the 2nd half he got anywhere near the ball.

We make in game changes all the time, usually small adjustments but often very effective. 

Henderson in particular was completely passive in that first half - as though he was overawed by the game or the opponent; we were lucky we didn't go in 4 down at half time.  We definitely didn't make the obvious changes required at Brentford either.  And we got stung for it.  

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Saudi takeover of Newcastle set to be approved by PL after piracy suite settled.

https://theathletic.com/news/newcastle-takeover-expected-to-go-through-in-near-future/Ukxibz60EBXa?source=twitteruk

For those that have the athletic - Matt Slater basically saying this was one of the main reasons why PL didn't want takeover to go through - commercial interests above moral ones of course whenever it comes to money.

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Saudi takeover of Newcastle set to be approved by PL after piracy suite settled.

A grim sport getting grimmer by the fucking year. Can’t wait for another fanbase to indulge in passionate defence of human rights abuses in return for some big name signings.

20 minutes ago, Manny said:

A grim sport getting grimmer by the fucking year. Can’t wait for another fanbase to indulge in passionate defence of human rights abuses in return for some big name signings.

I think eventually the Premier League will end up with 6 CL places. 

There will be 4 clubs now with unlimited budgets and us, Spurs and Arsenal will moan about lack of money etc. 

The Premier League is almost a Super League on its own with the TV deals and wages on offer.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Henderson in particular was completely passive in that first half - as though he was overawed by the game or the opponent; we were lucky we didn't go in 4 down at half time.  We definitely didn't make the obvious changes required at Brentford either.  And we got stung for it.  

He was no worse than Fabinho. Overawed? I very much doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I think eventually the Premier League will end up with 6 CL places. 

There will be 4 clubs now with unlimited budgets and us, Spurs and Arsenal will moan about lack of money etc. 

The Premier League is almost a Super League on its own with the TV deals and wages on offer.

It isnt the PL who determines the number of clubs in the CL.

Im more couldnt give a fuck about Newcastle and whether they become the next city \ PSG \ chelsea. The football authorities did fuck all when Abramovic moved in and started throwing money around, he also started rampant wage and transfer fee inflation.

If Newcastle join the club so what? We arent going to be sold to some other nation state and Id fuck my seasie and football at this level off if we jumped that particular train. I can just about stomach it because we've won the league and CL again but when the house is stacked against you, why bother? The fucking farce we face for the Watford game is just beyond contempt never mind 'sporting integrity.'

It's a sad state of affairs when Newcastle or any other fans for that matter, want and celebrate a murderous, butchering regime running their club instead of the last billionaire they thought would bring 'good times.'

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

It isnt the PL who determines the number of clubs in the CL.

Im more couldnt give a fuck about Newcastle and whether they become the next city \ PSG \ chelsea. The football authorities did fuck all when Abramovic moved in the not only started throwing money around, he also started rampant wage and transfer fee inflation.

If Newcastle join the club so what? We arent going to be sold to some other nation state and Id fuck my seasie and football at this level off. I can just about stomach it because we've won the league and CL again but when the house is stacked against you, why bother?

It's a sad state of affairs when Newcastle or any other fans for that matter, want and celebrate a murderous, butchering regime running their club instead of the last billionaire they thought would bring 'good times.'

I know but if there's a chance that any of us and the others miss out on extra money to 4 clubs who have unlimited money the Super League threat may start up again. The only way that uefa would appease them is offer the PL 6 places and use 2 places from elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I know but if there's a chance that any of us and the others miss out on extra money to 4 clubs who have unlimited money the Super League threat may start up again. The only way that uefa would appease them is offer the PL 6 places and use 2 places from elsewhere

They want to expand the tournament.

19 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I know but if there's a chance that any of us and the others miss out on extra money to 4 clubs who have unlimited money the Super League threat may start up again. The only way that uefa would appease them is offer the PL 6 places and use 2 places from elsewhere. 

Cant see the rest of European clubs being OK with 6 PL clubs being awarded another 2 places because there are 3 financially doped English clubs and others fighting to get in the CL. It's just not going to happen.

The CL will become the de facto Euro League except UEFA will control it for their benefit and not the clubs.