You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

The question I think that will arise in English football is will people take a lesser quality in football. Less money on wages and transfers and money to agents and speculators for lower ticket prices and better access to games - no big lump sum on season tickets -  free to air football and tickets ringfenced for teenagers etc. 

Is trying to sign Mbappe or monitoring really worth being pimped out for?. Are supporters fed up of prostituting themselves?

This shite began with the PL,as Anubis said,and that PL has become even more splintered over the years dividing that same PL into about three or four different sections. The argument has even also been framed as the 'small' clubs are actually still PL clubs too! Now imagine if those lesser PL clubs became smaller yet again,it would be the death of at least 20 or 30 more clubs with more to follow. (This is probably inevitable anyway, but that is a different argument altogether.)

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If you think football is competative for all but a handfull of clubs then you're kidding yourself.

The matches are. It might not be “competitive” in that only a handful can win the top prizes, etc, but the matches are, literally, competitive in that if you lose it affects you.  The draw with Leeds for example really affected our chances of qualifying for a major European championship (the European cup).  Under the new Super League, that draw with Leeds literally meant nothing.  We can’t win the league so we may as well have sent out the under 9s as we qualified for the big European comp last August. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Sorry for hiking the ticket prices. We’ve listened and won’t press ahead. 

Sorry for furloughing the staff. We’ve listened and won’t press ahead. 

Sorry for trying to ruin football. We’ve listened and won’t press ahead. 

Wonder what the next apology will be for?

Fuck off FSG.

Reading the room is one of the things they definitely aren't good at.

Ah they've apologised now so we can go back to praising them for saving us, and you know they arnt *that bad* as owners.

Unbelievable.

The hypocrisy I've seen lately is off the scale, not just in football but worldwide. Everyone has lost their collective minds. 

FSG have shown time and time agin they don't give a rats about the sport, just what they can get out of it. Winning Trophies is a bonus. They are shite. They are as shite as the sports washers but for different reasons. But this is modern football now, top to bottom a mess, ran by greedy bastards, talked about by hypocrites, watched by (mostly) idiots.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The matches are. It might not be “competitive” in that only a handful can win the top prizes, etc, but the matches are, literally, competitive in that if you lose it affects you.  The draw with Leeds for example really affected our chances of qualifying for a major European championship (the European cup).  Under the new Super League, that draw with Leeds literally meant nothing.  We can’t win the league so we may as well have sent out the under 9s as we qualified for the big European comp last August. 

And doesn’t it depress you that you’ve been conditioned into thinking winning a top four place is competitive?

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

John Henry is the living embodiment of ‘its easier to seek forgiveness than permission’.

Nah.  

Generally, I think people with good, even ethical intentions are of that motto.

(Although, an opportunistic cynical cunt, I'll grant, will always have this excuse at the forefront of their repertoire.)

So yes, Doc, as usual you're probably right.

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And doesn’t it depress you that you’ve been conditioned into thinking winning a top four place is competitive?

I think the last time I gave a fuck about getting into the top 4, I was watching the deciding game in a pub called the "Yellow House" in Dublin, in 2003.  And Chelsea got the place, beating us 2-1 I think.

And then I soon enough thought, Chelsea 4th... who gives a fuck?

25 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

The question I think that will arise in English football is will people take a lesser quality in football. Less money on wages and transfers and money to agents and speculators for lower ticket prices and better access to games - no big lump sum on season tickets -  free to air football and tickets ringfenced for teenagers etc. 

Is trying to sign Mbappe or monitoring really worth being pimped out for?. Are supporters fed up of prostituting themselves?

I think supporters would go for that, but Sky would immediately link it to a return to hooliganism, bananas being thrown at players, lack of diversity on the terraces and so on. A new narrative that they are saving supporters from themselves would kick in, they are the great civilisers and modernisers  and anyone looking to go back to the old way would be painted as a scumbag only looking for a bit of hassle. And it would work too.

Think any change would have to be European wide. 

Question is, what is the alternative to an FSG? Who would you want to buy the club who would have more honourable intentions.

How can you realistically turn the clock back now you've got the oligarchs and the oil countries and the american hedge funds?

The best things you could say about fsg is that they haven't taken money out of the club and run it self sustainably, they've grown revenues to ours (and of course ultimately their benefit), and they appointed Klopp and have improved some of the infrastructure around the club. This isn't kissing their arse, they've done these things.

They clearly have no real regard for the fan as demonstrated multiple times, but I'd love to see a modern day top level football club owner who does? 

It could be worse,  could have the glazers

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, etho said:

Think any change would have to be European wide. 

Question is, what is the alternative to an FSG? Who would you want to buy the club who would have more honourable intentions.

How can you realistically turn the clock back now you've got the oligarchs and the oil countries and the american hedge funds?

The best things you could say about fsg is that they haven't taken money out of the club and run it self sustainably, they've grown revenues to ours (and of course ultimately their benefit), and they appointed Klopp and have improved some of the infrastructure around the club. This isn't kissing their arse, they've done these things.

They clearly have no real regard for the fan as demonstrated multiple times, but I'd love to see a modern day top level football club owner who does? 

It could be worse,  could have the glazers

Pretty much it really. The enormous money involved with football from the commercial side to players wages and contracts/transfers is just so far out of touch with normal society that anyone owning a "big six" club has to be a pretty hardnosed money driven group of people.

They wont be scousers. They wont "get us". Theres every chance they wont really understand football.

But they will understand balance sheets very well indeed.     

55 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Apologies for using the word you've  and making it seem like I'm talking about you alone, Johnny. I'm not. A lot of us have. Me included. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Christ, what a cunt.

but he is our cunt.......nah that don't work for  non players. Only way FSG in my eyes will prove they have a shred of decency is that any costs from this so call venture including if we get hit with any fines comes out of there pocket and not the clubs and to dig deep during the summer transfer window. Fair play though he is the only owner to go on record on social media with an apology i honesty wasn't expecting that but i still want them gone. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, andyj said:

but he is our cunt.......nah that don't work for  non players. Only way FSG in my eyes will prove they have a shred of decency is that any costs from this so call venture including if we get hit with any fines comes out of there pocket and not the clubs and to dig deep during the summer transfer window. Fair play though he is the only owner to go on record on social media with an apology i honesty wasn't expecting that but i still want them gone. 

They'll be doing nothing of the sort.

Making the apology would have been simply a PR decision. On balance they felt it was slightly better than saying nothing.

I'm a bit confused if I am honest. I can't quite find a way forward, get rid of them and we get the same, do nothing they don't get better. Ask for them to get better people think you are forgiving them. 

I think all owners are cunts. They are here for money. Unless that culture changes - I don't see what will change. They are not Hicks and Gillett, those two were quite happy for the club to disappear to make a few million - FSG never did that. But, lets not forget Parry and Moores were red's, they genuinely had the best of the club at their hearts - and yet they failed us by selling to Hicks and Gillett! As I have said elsewhere FSG hit us personally this time - they viewed us as a hindrance and seemed quite happy to leave us behind and I suppose you can argue that that is just as bad really? 

If the government changes come in - they will sell anyway. If they don't, then I'm not sure what to do. Just do what we've always done and go the game. Maybe not praising them, not engaging with their shit is the best way forward at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They'll be doing nothing of the sort.

Making the apology would have been simply a PR decision. On balance they felt it was slightly better than saying nothing.

Only thing i will say in his defence he could of said FSG as owners fucked up but he said he fucked up that was the bit that stood out to me.

While id be happy to see them go i think we need to take a step back and be careful what we wish for we don't want another Statler and Waldorf situation   

• Upvote 1

I have sympathy with the view that them selling up would just mean they’d be replaced by people of the same ilk; i.e. chasing money and not giving a fuck about us.

I completely accept that.

You can do that however and not continually make stupid decisions and repeat the same mistakes.

Signings, Ticket prices, furlough, Super League... they haven’t learnt from previous mistakes and that’s just not acceptable.

If we had owners who had done what they had, minus those mistakes it would be a lot more palatable.