You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

18 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Im not having a go mate, but that seems to have been a fairly common call during their tenure, let's judge them here or let's judge them there. I've seen enough to judge them so far and they deserve all the stick they get.

Having said that, I wouldn't want us to be owned by obvious cunts like City or Chelsea. The problem is that whilst we're playing in the same arena as said cunts, but not playing the same way, we're never going to stay on top for a sustained period. If FSG don't start spending or the rules don't change (and I can't see either happening), we'll just have to resign ourselves to mostly fighting for top four finishes with the occasional league or cup win. It's just the way it is.

I don't disagree with any of that General. 

I think they are very smart people who have shrewdly infested in the best manager in the world knowing he could build a team at a gigantic financial handicap and they got in very shrewd operators like Michael Edwards to handle negotiations. They have developed Anfield - we have benefitted from that as well but it is all part of their exit plan to make a gigantic profit when they do sell rather than any concern for improving our experience or concern for the local population. They love winning trophies but they won't put themselves at any great financial risk keeping up with City. They will always look for the shrewd option and with Jurgen that is more likely to come off than it doesn't. 

I think because we were so good on the pitch, it nearly allowed them to think the team didn't need too much investment which was music to their ears. No excuses but the kind of bad luck we have had this season may not happen for 40 years. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this season. This season has been a gigantic wake up call for them I hope. Not only are we out of a title race, but we are in a battle for top 4. I expect that this will galvanise them to realise the team needs about 4 top players this summer. If they don't deliver, we may still win the league next season because I expect us to be back as a really top team, but I will be give them serious stick because it will really show where their mindset is.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, No2 said:

You know full well the Anfield Road End would be well under way but for Covid. The stadium is not a stick you can use to beat them with. They inherited a shit show on the stadium and worked their way through it piece by piece, let's not rewrite history and pretend it was easy.

The net spend as a number is too low, no arguing there. In player terms we have traded Mingolet, Ryan Kent, Brewster and Lovren for Jota, Thiago, Tmisikas,  Adrian and the 2 new defenders. Also Curtis Jones for Lallana and Neco for Clyne. The uplift in quality in the new players (should be) is night and day.

When we played Brighton 6 of the clubs 7 most expensive signings weren't available. There are loads of fancy answers why we are shit but the most fucking obvious one is staring us in the face.

why do i know full well the stadium would be underway if it wasn't for covid? they don't even have planning permission. they have nothing more than a bunch of drawings. and not their 1st bunch of drawings. covid struck 9 and a half years into their time here and they didn't have planning permission sorted? yeah, they sound really committed to it. If it was everton 9.5 years into BMD, we'd be ripping the shit out of them. the stadium is the easiest thing to beat them with, because they've had a decade and it was the one and only promise they made coming in. They sorted the bit that makes them big money with 50% of the seats going to hospitality, but they've done absolutely fuck all about the bit that requires some regular investment - borrow the money and wait for the return. Unless it's a goose laying a golden egg, they're not fucking interested. 

33 minutes ago, Daisy said:

have you got the full version of that as its behind the paywall. 

16 minutes ago, aws said:

Anyone got any realistic, better alternatives? 

obviously there are no alternatives, because they're going nowhere. so all we can do is challenge them to do the right thing. they do on occasion bow to public pressure, because they are petrified of bad fan relationships as they have created a marketing mirage of the club that we are somehow different to everyone else and our relationship with the club is different. it's absolute bullshit, all fans love their clubs, but our fans buy into it.  They've got all of these club dedicated journalists in their pockets because they don't have a job without support of the club. So they happily help them on their PR cycle - look how clever we are, look how we don't need to invest because we're so clever, look how rich we are because we are so clever, we're so fucking clever we simultaneously tell you we are rich and skint and you're all so fucking stupid you'll lap it up. Shit, did we call you stupid out loud? 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

why do i know full well the stadium would be underway if it wasn't for covid? they don't even have planning permission. they have nothing more than a bunch of drawings. and not their 1st bunch of drawings. covid struck 9 and a half years into their time here and they didn't have planning permission sorted? yeah, they sound really committed to it. If it was everton 9.5 years into BMD, we'd be ripping the shit out of them. the stadium is the easiest thing to beat them with, because they've had a decade and it was the one and only promise they made coming in. They sorted the bit that makes them big money with 50% of the seats going to hospitality, but they've done absolutely fuck all about the bit that requires some regular investment - borrow the money and wait for the return. Unless it's a goose laying a golden egg, they're not fucking interested. 

The statement released Dec 2019 said planning was going in March/April 2020 after the latest round of public consultations. You can choose not to believe them, based on previous actions I think it was a certainty work would have started already and we would be opening it the start of 22/23 season.

And I'd like to add that we were fucking shit for most of the time period you speak of. You paint a big a picture of some rosy place in the sun type extension that we throw up in a month and pay for from the piggy bank. You exclude the bit about the years we wouldn't have got 50000 in the ground never mind 70. You exclude the part about the poisonous relationship they had to rebuild with the local residents, you exclude the fact they were dealing with (in extreme likely hood) a bunch of crooks in the council. From where they picked up the baton to where we are now or would have been without Covid is as much as any one could have asked for.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

have you got the full version of that as its behind the paywall. 

obviously there are no alternatives, because they're going nowhere. so all we can do is challenge them to do the right thing. they do on occasion bow to public pressure, because they are petrified of bad fan relationships as they have created a marketing mirage of the club that we are somehow different to everyone else and our relationship with the club is different. it's absolute bullshit, all fans love their clubs, but our fans buy into it.  They've got all of these club dedicated journalists in their pockets because they don't have a job without support of the club. So they happily help them on their PR cycle - look how clever we are, look how we don't need to invest because we're so clever, look how rich we are because we are so clever, we're so fucking clever we simultaneously tell you we are rich and skint and you're all so fucking stupid you'll lap it up. Shit, did we call you stupid out loud? 

Agree with all that. The fan groups need to keep pressuring them to invest appropriately and to keep pressure on the club journos to do their bit too. But I wouldn't want to to see a twitter or email hate campaign start up because that would be counter-productive in circumstances where (unlike with H & G)we've got nowhere else to turn to.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

The statement released Dec 2019 said planning was going in March/April 2020 after the latest round of public consultations. You can choose not to believe them, based on previous actions I think it was a certainty work would have started already and we would be opening it the start of 22/23 season.

And I'd like to add that we were fucking shit for most of the time period you speak of. You paint a big a picture of some rosy place in the sun type extension that we throw up in a month and pay for from the piggy bank. You exclude the bit about the years we wouldn't have got 50000 in the ground never mind 70. You exclude the part about the poisonous relationship they had to rebuild with the local residents, you exclude the fact they were dealing with (in extreme likely hood) a bunch of crooks in the council. From where they picked up the baton to where we are now or would have been without Covid is as much as any one could have asked for.

I'm actually not bothered about the statement from Dec 19, because it was 8 years too late. A little like their January signings came a month too late. 

As for the poisioness relationship with the local residents, one they didn't do a great deal to solve. They've pissed off the locals several times through this process and when they wanted to do concerts in the ground. 

And which bunch of crooks in the council are you talking about? The council have helped Liverpool throughout this process and the process with H&G and the Parry Bowl. The issue has always been the club who've talked more than they've acted for 20 years. FSG are responsible for half of that 20 years. 

Bottom line is they've had 10 years and done half a job. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

Agree with all that. The fan groups need to keep pressuring them to invest appropriately and to keep pressure on the club journos to do their bit too. But I wouldn't want to to see a twitter or email hate campaign start up because that would be counter-productive in circumstances where (unlike with H & G)we've got nowhere else to turn to.

I'm not actually saying we should have a Twitter campaign. But the majority of our fan base doesn't want to believe we're just here as a cash point for FSG, so there's no pressure on either FSG or the journalists who can't find their way out of FSGs pocket. And by cash machine, I don't mean they're emptying money out, I mean they see us as nothing more than a source of wealth for them. 

As for the fan groups, they're only a reflection of the members and while the members are still lapping up this narrative of FSG saved us from H&G, then the fan groups won't be the ones to react. They're getting away with it a lot more now because the ground is empty, I feel certain they wouldn't have got through January quite so easily if people had been in the stadium to watch those performances.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

Is that...a mostly unobjectionable Henry Winter opinion piece?

A bit more:

If money matters most to Henry, he will surely understand the price of not qualifying for the Champions League, of the embarrassment for him among his Super League plotters. Worryingly for the majority who care about the sporting integrity of the game, Liverpool failing to dash down the Premier League platform and reboard the Champions League gravy train may simply encourage FSG to become further in cahoots with the European greed club.

Henry needs to respond the right way: speculate to accumulate. Back Klopp. In the acrimonious aftermath of Liverpool’s second-half collapse against an outstanding City, BBC Radio 5 Live’s 606 phone-in with Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage heard from some callers who had clearly divested themselves of all common sense. Klopp out, a couple ventured. Radio going gaga. Fortunately, Sutton and Savage put them in their place. Klopp represents Liverpool’s rescue plan.

He will respond to the adversity. It is in his nature. He will be furious about Liverpool’s supine defence of their league crown, even if amid the bonfire of the sanities on Sunday evening it was forgotten that there have been far worse title defences, going back to Blackburn Rovers, finishing 7th in 1995-96, Chelsea 10th in 2015-16 and Leicester City ending up 12th a season later.

Klopp, such an intelligent man, will scrutinise and analyse himself and others. He needs to be less twitchy in interviews and more bold with his substitutions. He needs to hold his nerve, keep showing the courage that defined his 2019 and 2020 teams. Removing Curtis Jones, who was playing well against City, was bizarre, running against Klopp’s identity.

The old Main stand was embarassing and needed replacing. It had a tin roof, seats that looked like they were transported from the 1950s. I went to a sportsman dinner in there in 2011 and it looked the same in there as it was when I went round the 80s to look at the trophy room.

The ticketing issues had gone one for years so the demand was there no matter what.

It would have needed replacing sooner or later as it looked on the same level as Peterborough or Plymouths old main stands. 

It looks good now but it should because it is a stand worthy of one of the top clubs in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The old Main stand was embarassing and needed replacing. It had a tin roof, seats that looked like they were transported from the 1950s. I went to a sportsman dinner in there in 2011 and it looked the same in there as it was when I went round the 80s to look at the trophy room.

The ticketing issues had gone one for years so the demand was there no matter what.

It would have needed replacing sooner or later as it looked on the same level as Peterborough or Plymouths old main stands. 

It looks good now but it should because it is a stand worthy of one of the top clubs in Europe. 

From the last game in the old Main Stand. 

D3D63599-838E-484F-A738-9533E89F8EB8.jpeg

9B103F32-C1E3-404E-B012-B75E5E56D405.jpeg

Truth is we’ve always been ran like a corner shop. Shankly called the directors out when he joined said they were like washed up gamblers who were afraid to bet anymore. We’ve never punched our weight for whatever reason, incompetence, greed or just bad timing I don’t know but with Klopp we struck gold. They have to back him now, the squad needs a refit it’ll will be a long road back if we don’t make the most of our brilliant manager.

On 09/02/2021 at 11:29, Barrington Womble said:

I believe the planning application has now been submitted and will be reviewed after they’re done with BMD. They’re planning to start on the new ARE before end of this year. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

Ha ha, I think it’s pretty much guaranteed BMD will be granted permission whether it goes any further is another matter entirely. 

Is it? It's been turned down already and they said it would stroll through then after the world's greatest ever public consultation. I thought there were still negative noises from English heritage.  Honestly, if we're in a queue behind them, I'd have no expectation at all of moving forward. One would hope the council have an ability to look at applications in parallel, although I've been waiting so long for permission for my kitchen extension, I am beggining to wonder if my new kitchen hinges on BMD!

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is it? It's been turned down already and they said it would stroll through then after the world's greatest ever public consultation. I thought there were still negative noises from English heritage.  Honestly, if we're in a queue behind them, I'd have no expectation at all of moving forward. One would hope the council have an ability to look at applications in parallel, although I've been waiting so long for permission for my kitchen extension, I am beggining to wonder if my new kitchen hinges on BMD!

I dont know how old you are Baz but if it hinges on BMD the it might be time to move.