You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

16 hours ago, Brownie said:

At least they corrected the mistake.

They really need to get better at not making those mistakes though.

They probably don't feel that they made one. Pressure made them change tact, not a desire to correct an error. 

The month of pissing around has probably changed our chances of winning the league from decent to slim. They have completely undermined the manager and, for the first time, Klopp couldn't be arsed to hide it publicly. 

If I felt there was even the slightest chance they'd be more flexible, adaptive, and simply less stingy in the future, I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

However, I don't. They are what they are. Rich cunts using the name of the club to make themselves money (eventually, when they sell - they don't need to be taking from the till now. Unlike the last lot, they're not idiots). Minimal investment possible to achieve goals that are acceptable. They struck gold with Klopp in finding a manager that actually likes a project and desires a romanticism in the game. Someone who will trade off a huge transfer budget for patience. When he goes I think opinion on them will change quite quickly. With even a "good" manager, rather than the best in the world (and by some margin, in my opinion) who achieves what this budget warrants - 4th to 6th place finishes and maybe regular last 16/8 in the European Cup (better if we're in the UEFA Cup) - attention will turn to them more fiercely. 

• Upvote 6

I don't think they think they made a mistake either. We were probably not getting a centre back, nevermind two, if Matip had not gotten injured for the rest of the season. They've only acted when our 1st team centre back options literally dropped to zero because they then had no choice.

Even though I sympathize with the loss of revenues from Covid and the fact that there was very little spending across Europe this month anyway, they were fully ready to do nothing and that is impossible to defend in this situation.

Now, do I think this is irredeemable or that it erases their stellar decision making in the last few years? No.

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They probably don't feel that they made one. Pressure made them change tact, not a desire to correct an error. 

The month of pissing around has probably changed our chances of winning the league from decent to slim. They have completely undermined the manager and, for the first time, Klopp couldn't be arsed to hide it publicly. 

If I felt there was even the slightest chance they'd be more flexible, adaptive, and simply less stingy in the future, I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

However, I don't. They are what they are. Rich cunts using the name of the club to make themselves money (eventually, when they sell - they don't need to be taking from the till now. Unlike the last lot, they're not idiots). Minimal investment possible to achieve goals that are acceptable. They struck gold with Klopp in finding a manager that actually likes a project and desires a romanticism in the game. Someone who will trade off a huge transfer budget for patience. When he goes I think opinion on them will change quite quickly. With even a "good" manager, rather than the best in the world (and by some margin, in my opinion) who achieves what this budget warrants - 4th to 6th place finishes and maybe regular last 16/8 in the European Cup (better if we're in the UEFA Cup) - attention will turn to them more fiercely. 

I don’t disagree with any of this. I was just looking for any positive to come out of the situation (for a change!)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brownie said:

I don’t disagree with any of this. I was just looking for any positive to come out of the situation (for a change!)

Ha. To be fair, we're in a better situation now that we were a couple of days ago. Feels a bit like expectations have been managed, but we have a good enough manager and squad that we're still capable of much this season.

I don't think they are inflexible or not adaptive, they are financially stubborn though. They will not pile debt on the club because that reduces the value of their asset, which they will always run first and foremost as a financially sound endevour. They are not short termist and don't flinch easily, which probably comes from financial market experience.

And this will always clash with how fans see things.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Superb post

23 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't think they are inflexible or not adaptive, they are financially stubborn though. They will not pile debt on the club because that reduces the value of their asset, which they will always run first and foremost as a financially sound endevour. They are not short termist and don't flinch easily, which probably comes from financial market experience.

Agree with that. I think they set budgets and stick to it \ them unless circumstances dictate the need to exceed it. In other words, they run a tight ship. Given the value of the club, I dont think the size of debt they work with has any impact on the 'asset.'

Clearly I dont have a problem with it because I dont want the club burdened with debt. John Henry better incease my shill money though, the tight wad.

Oh, RIP Captain Tom Moore.

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Ha. To be fair, we're in a better situation now that we were a couple of days ago. Feels a bit like expectations have been managed, but we have a good enough manager and squad that we're still capable of much this season.

Matip's injury has probably been a bit of a blessing for us as stupid as that sounds. The lad wouldn't have played many games anyway and we wouldn't have signed anyone. We've now got 2 lads in, although obviously it remains to be seen how good they are and how much they can contribute. We've lost a month when we've perhaps lost our chance of winning the league and we've been eliminated from the cup - and because we've got city this week, I suspect they won't play till Leicester. And it would feel we've even had to let minamino go to help fund this and the FA are paying Gomez's wages. FSG have done far less than the minimum here - the minimum would have been this quality of signing on Jan 1st. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

The financial stubbornness translates to inflexibility on the football side. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Matip's injury has probably been a bit of a blessing for us as stupid as that sounds. The lad wouldn't have played many games anyway and we wouldn't have signed anyone. We've now got 2 lads in, although obviously it remains to be seen how good they are and how much they can contribute. We've lost a month when we've perhaps lost our chance of winning the league and we've been eliminated from the cup - and because we've got city this week, I suspect they won't play till Leicester. And it would feel we've even had to let minamino go to help fund this and the FA are paying Gomez's wages. FSG have done far less than the minimum here - the minimum would have been this quality of signing on Jan 1st. 

Yeah, we've got a 20 year old loon who has been part of the defence for comfortably the worst side in Bundesliga, and someone for £2m from the Championship. We're the champions of England and were in the European Cup Final the two previous seasons. 

It's a piss take really. The "big summer ahead" articles are going to be a fascinating read. 

• Upvote 3

The "big summer" stuff is pretty laughable. No amount of verbose Mel Reddy articles should convince anyone we're making a massive signing or big squad changes in this economy. You even just have to look at the composition of our squad to see there aren't openings for a top, top player unless we sell someone important.

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, we've got a 20 year old loon who has been part of the defence for comfortably the worst side in Bundesliga, and someone for £2m from the Championship. We're the champions of England and were in the European Cup Final the two previous seasons. 

It's a piss take really. The "big summer ahead" articles are going to be a fascinating read. 

I bet over the next few weeks that's exactly what we'll get and then by may we'll be getting told how minamino, vvd, matip and Gomez will be like new signings and we need to be careful of not blocking the path of Harvey Elliots 1st kid to the 1st team. 

7 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I can't wait to find out how clever we have been.

That's already started. Seen loads of stuff today saying what a genius Edwards is for solving our defensive crisis for a no risk 2m. 

The propaganda from the FSG puppets is fucking nauseating. I saw that Melissa Reddy article celebrating how clever the club has been. 

I just hope we don't slip back out of the top 4 otherwise it's going to be a fucking nightmare with "Klopp is happy with his squad options and getting back into the Champions League and the additional revenue it brings is the no1 priority for the club"

FSG change when they get coordinated abuse from the fans and they become fearful of the bad PR, they get bullied. For instance that ticket pricing fiasco still rankles as they always mention it around the economics of the road end. Here the manager tried to bully them and they've still not changed stance because there was no coordinated fan reaction, it's been the same as always, incomings get financed by outgoings. We lost minaminos's wage, the fa have been paying the wage of gomez and we've brought in 2 players for a combined 2m in for 500k out, but that's likely paid for by the difference in wages between Gomez+minamino v kabak+Davies. 

The Mbappe stories are fucking embarrassing why do people keep going on about it. All because of some joking mbappe 2020 meme.

As for this window, they did the absolute minimum once again. If it turns out to be clever in the end fair enough but in my opinion the lack of cover at the back for the last month has pretty much cost us the title. Its not all on the centre back issue but that costing us fabinho and Henderson in midfield is a huge blow.

• Upvote 3

We've brought in two centre backs but Nat Phillips is still first choice. The young lad I can't see getting a look in I'll be honest, and Davies - well, is he any better than Phillips? He certainly doesn't have the experience of playing with the first team like Phillips does so surely Nat gets the nod.

They're emergency cover. I guess time will tell if it works out or not.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Why would Mbappe, one of the most expensive and well paid players in the world sign for a club that hates paying transfer fees unless they sell players first and has a strict wage structure?

It's as embarrassing as Everton stadiun articles now. 

Once this and the next financial figures are published i cant see any big moves happening pretty much anywhere other than between the oil and oligarch clubs, maybe united because spending big is what theyve always done 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

The Echo really going for it today. 

Screenshot_2021-02-03-10-10-26-35.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-03-10-09-59-28.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-03-10-11-56-01.jpg

Fucking hell. I mean, there's no problem from me with looking for creative solutions and not spending a bomb in January to address short-term need (I just wish we'd done it earlier) - but this self-congratulatory "aren't we clever" stuff is just pure cringe, and that's without the wink wink nudge nudge stuff around "freeing up cash for the Mbappe raid in July."