You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Can people at least acknowledge that seemingly not even considering loaning someone is a little bizarre? And no one should be letting FSG off the hook, but that's also a Klopp problem. Because that doesn't even seem to be a legitimate option, even in an emergency situation. Why is that? I'm sure even in these times, there's a couple hundred grand lying around we could use to pay a part of someone's wages for half a season.

23 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

We have no idea what has or hasn't happened behind the scenes.

You wanted rid of Klopp years ago, so you've got a track record of talking out yer arse.  Not all of us are hysterical fannies.

My only doubts around Klopp were around getting rid of all the shite that were constantly holding us back.

Never had doubts about his managerial ability.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Can people at least acknowledge that seemingly not even considering loaning someone is a little bizarre? And no one should be letting FSG off the hook, but that's also a Klopp problem. Because that doesn't even seem to be a legitimate option, even in an emergency situation. Why is that? I'm sure even in these times, there's a couple hundred grand lying around we could use to pay a part of someone's wages for half a season.

Maybe it's the personality thing? 

Our signings seem to be painstakingly planned, maybe the idea of simply taking a punt on someone is considered too much of a risk in terms of dressing room coherence etc?

They've probably already got big Virg's replacement lined up but he's probably about 14.

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Maybe it's the personality thing? 

Our signings seem to be painstakingly planned, maybe the idea of simply taking a punt on someone is considered too much of a risk in terms of dressing room coherence etc?

They've probably already got big Virg's replacement lined up but he's probably about 14.

images.jpg

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We don't know what klopp is saying behind closed doors. But what is 100% certain is there's no way he'd call them out publicly. He's gone as far as he would by saying if it wasn't for covid we would buy someone. He's laid it out there for everyone who wants to hear. In footballing terms he wants a player. 

• Upvote 2

We started the season with three centre backs, which violates the first rule of squad-building, that you should have two players for every position. That our only non-injury prone centre back is out for the season is unfortunate, but could have been mitigated against if we had three fit and healthy alternates rather than two who are made of crisps.

I personally don't care whether it was Klopp or FSG or both who decided 1.2 centre backs was enough for a 60 game season. It was a shocking decision which is the major reason why we're struggling to cling on to a top four place rather than pissing the league like we did last year.

• Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

We started the season with three centre backs, which violates the first rule of squad-building, that you should have two players for every position. That our only non-injury prone centre back is out for the season is unfortunate, but could have been mitigated against if we had three fit and healthy alternates rather than two who are made of crisps.

I personally don't care whether it was Klopp or FSG or both who decided 1.2 centre backs was enough for a 60 game season. It was a shocking decision which is the major reason why we're struggling to cling on to a top four place rather than pissing the league like we did last year.

Yeah, but we're so much smarter than everyone else in the transfer market, you just can't see it was part of a plan to not block Williams path and make sure we get a big fee for Phillips. If you want mbappe this summer, we need to raise the money somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but we're so much smarter than everyone else in the transfer market, you just can't see it was part of a plan to not block Williams path and make sure we get a big fee for Phillips. If you want mbappe this summer, we need to raise the money somewhere. 

It's a straight swap for Phillips and Mbappe, surely?

• Upvote 1

We've been playing this game for years. Milner covering lb, rb. Hendo covering rb cb. Fab covering cb. Gini covering cb. Ox covering wide forward positions. I think Emre Can put in a few shifts in defence. 

If it needs covering we've got a centre mid for the job. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Depends who we're loaning or buying, if its someone who isnt homegrown then we need to keep a space free in case Van Dijk plays again this season. We can't register two of them. It's a fairly important point which is being overlooked I think. 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm pretty certain the plan was always for Fabinho to be 4th choice centre back.  With Thiago coming in we anticipated that he wouldn't get as many games in midfield, so would drop in to the back four at times alongside VVD. We saw this as early as the Chelsea game, which was the 2nd/3rd game of the season.

We started the season with 8 players that can play in the midfield three, 9 if you include Shaqiri. This is the most squad depth we have had in a long time. 

Our backup eleven thinking at the start of the season was Adrian, Milner Fabinho, Matip, Tsimkas, Keita, Jones, Ox,Jota, Origi, Shaqiri knowing full well that a number of those players would get games in other positions.

This is where we are at. City currently have Laporte and Ake sitting in reserve, we can't afford the luxury of spending 100 million on a 3rd and 4th choice centre half.

We gambled on VVD not getting injured and it didn't pay off. You are right about Matip and Gomez being injury prone, but could we have moved them on in the summer and replaced them? I think most people would have been strongly against Gomez being sold and Matip is a very good player for the 12 games a season he is available.

In the long run, I do think we have reached the end of how far we can go with FSG. We need to move away from needing to sell before we can buy every season and living off a net spend of around 30 million. FSG must realise this too? They can't compete with City, United and Chelsea year in year out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

10 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

Depends who we're loaning or buying, if its someone who isnt homegrown then we need to keep a space free in case Van Dijk plays again this season. We can't register two of them. It's a fairly important point which is being overlooked I think. 

Just leave Keita out of the squad. He's rarely in it anyway. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

In the long run, I do think we have reached the end of how far we can go with FSG. We need to move away from needing to sell before we can buy every season and living off a net spend of around 30 million. FSG must realise this too? They can't compete with City, United and Chelsea year in year out. 

This is something I don't get. Unless those three are breaking the rules (we know City are) then why can't we compete?

We're one of the richest clubs in the world and FSG are not taking money out to line their own pockets. All the money that comes in goes out again on wages and signings, but considering how much money we make it's mad that we always seem to have fuck all money to spend.

I understand the current situation as by the end of it we'll be down about £200m from Covid and you can't just absorb a loss like that and carry on as normal. But even before Covid we weren't in the same market as Europe's biggest hitters.

I'm not pointing fingers, I just don't think it makes sense really.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm pretty certain the plan was always for Fabinho to be 4th choice centre back.  With Thiago coming in we anticipated that he wouldn't get as many games in midfield, so would drop in to the back four at times alongside VVD. We saw this as early as the Chelsea game, which was the 2nd/3rd game of the season.

We started the season with 8 players that can play in the midfield three, 9 if you include Shaqiri. This is the most squad depth we have had in a long time. 

Our backup eleven thinking at the start of the season was Adrian, Milner Fabinho, Matip, Tsimkas, Keita, Jones, Ox,Jota, Origi, Shaqiri knowing full well that a number of those players would get games in other positions.

This is where we are at. City currently have Laporte and Ake sitting in reserve, we can't afford the luxury of spending 100 million on a 3rd and 4th choice centre half.

We gambled on VVD not getting injured and it didn't pay off. You are right about Matip and Gomez being injury prone, but could we have moved them on in the summer and replaced them? I think most people would have been strongly against Gomez being sold and Matip is a very good player for the 12 games a season he is available.

Think we are too big for them now. It was ok to build us up from where we were, mainly because of Klopp. They've run a tight ship and done well building up revenues but now they need to keep us there. 

I can't see this Billy Bean organisation making any difference if they get involved. Probably even worse as they will just want to buy players dirt cheap and flog them on to fund further transfers. 

23 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

There's more chance of us buying Maradona than there is buying Mbappe.

How dare you sir. The Echo have been us having him soon for ages. And I bet that the Goebbels and comical Ali paper aren't lying. Definetly not lying.

I don't understand why we are not bringing a central defender in, and the gamble with 3 plus Fabinho may have been risky and backfired, but what we had not gambled on and what is hurting us the most is that our attacking play would turn so sterile so quickly. 

2 hours ago, dave u said:

This is something I don't get. Unless those three are breaking the rules (we know City are) then why can't we compete?

We're one of the richest clubs in the world and FSG are not taking money out to line their own pockets. All the money that comes in goes out again on wages and signings, but considering how much money we make it's mad that we always seem to have fuck all money to spend.

I understand the current situation as by the end of it we'll be down about £200m from Covid and you can't just absorb a loss like that and carry on as normal. But even before Covid we weren't in the same market as Europe's biggest hitters.

I'm not pointing fingers, I just don't think it makes sense really.

I think its been a perception thing we carefully created ourselves. We walked away from loads of deals when the seller tried to bring out a barrel and we refused to sell players we didn't need for a penny less than the asking price. We built a reputation of sticking to our valuations regardless. I don't doubt for a second (pre Covid) that we would release funds for any player Klopp wanted, we just pretended we didn't have it.

I actually think the 2 Manchester clubs have begun the process of trying to copy it, pleading poor man with Koulibaly and Sancho this summer. It will take a few years to shake off the easy touch tag. Utd in particular have been rode so many times an automatic stupid tax has been applied to all deals for them. They sold a defender for 1.5m last week where we we sold Brewster and Solanke for close to 50m so they have a fair bit to learn yet.

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

I actually think the 2 Manchester clubs have begun the process of trying to copy it, pleading poor man with Koulibaly and Sancho this summer. It will take a few years to shake off the easy touch tag. Utd in particular have been rode so many times an automatic stupid tax has been applied to all deals for them. They sold a defender for 1.5m last week where we we sold Brewster and Solanke for close to 50m so they have a fair bit to learn yet.

It was Denis Irwin to be fair

• Like 1

I think FSG still play a version of moneyball in the sense that they operate with no flex, all the money is on the pitch, there's no slack, no 'flab'. 

That's great when you're operating at full pelt, but you can't cope with any drop in form or injury.

We've seen it for ages, Jota is probably the only signing we've made in these last couple of years who is anywhere near a first team player. The bench is shit, even now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We didn't start the season with 3 centre halves, because Fabinho was earmarked as a 4th.

And he's clearly top drawer there.

Thiago came in, and if Gini left, we would have bought a centre half with the money and moved Fab back into midfield.

That's exactly what will happen this summer.

Anyone who thinks we're buying 2 centre halves are off their fucking rocker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1