You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

28 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We havent sold anyone to fund Thiago. Jota has had his medical and might even be signing today. Hoever deal is £9m up front with add ons. The club hasnt even got that money yet.

All this carping is just an endless circular argument because next, if we have any more outgoings, the 'net spend' argument will just get thrown into the ring again and around we go. Again.

You could always stop rimming hedge fund owners and it'll end.   Liverpool supporters will remain hugely sceptical about them at every turn, as they should do. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This is all I wanted. Invest in improving the team. If they make some sales now that means our spend is minimal I dont care its how that team sheet looks on a match day and being a bit more confident in how we cope with any injuries or suspensions 

Yup this. 

I'm glad they are reinforcing the team. Actually relieved is more the word I would use. I just about accepted last years approach to the window, but the way the local journals where peddling this new narrative this summer caused me to lose my rag. Thankfully they were badly wrong.

Thiago is a game changer. I had us down for top three this season but now I reckon we can retain it. He's so so good, that now, if a team somehow finds a way to stop our flank attacks we have this guy in the middle. Add in Jota and Minaminos work rate between the lines and we are golden I reckon. Lots of options, lots of ways to play, and decent depth.

Would like a CB, but at least with Thiago, Fabinho is a sensible 4th choice fall back. Glad we kept Gini too. lets hope he gets and extension.

So kudos to the owners for releasing funds whether we recoup or not. I still don't like them, they are not representative of our values anymore than oil owners, but this is the state of football today. As long as the manager is backed on the pitch, i will overlook everything else.

Now watch us sell Mane on the last day of the window!!!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

So, Edwards has worked within the confines of restrictions he faces to structure two deals with minimal up front outlay (£5m and £4m) covered by a a sale, and which will allow the remaining payments to be covered by future small scale sales.

Great work on his part to ensure Klopp gets what he needs, but still sell to buy, so nothing out of the ordinary for us.

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Yup this. 

I'm glad they are reinforcing the team. Actually relieved is more the word I would use. I just about accepted last years approach to the window, but the way the local journals where peddling this new narrative this summer caused me to lose my rag. Thankfully they were badly wrong.

Thiago is a game changer. I had us down for top three this season but now I reckon we can retain it. He's so so good, that now, if a team somehow finds a way to stop our flank attacks we have this guy in the middle. Add in Jota and Minaminos work rate between the lines and we are golden I reckon. Lots of options, lots of ways to play, and decent depth.

Would like a CB, but at least with Thiago, Fabinho is a sensible 4th choice fall back. Glad we kept Gini too. lets hope he gets and extension.

So kudos to the owners for releasing funds whether we recoup or not. I still don't like them, they are not representative of our values anymore than oil owners, but this is the state of football today. As long as the manager is backed on the pitch, i will overlook everything else.

Now watch us sell Mane on the last day of the window!!!

Ye of little faith.

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

So, Edwards has worked within the confines of restrictions he faces to structure two deals with minimal up front outlay (£5m and £4m) covered by a a sale, and which will allow the remaining payments to be covered by future small scale sales.

Great work on his part to ensure Klopp gets what he needs, but still sell to buy, so nothing out of the ordinary for us.

Indeed, we wanted the manager backed, he has been backed. I am a lot happier today than I was 48 hours ago.

Selling players who have not started league games for us is also good. Sell to buy is what we are but at least this time we spent first, which I think is all the majority of us wanted.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Indeed, we wanted the manager backed, he has been backed. I am a lot happier today than I was 48 hours ago.

Selling players who have not started league games for us is also good. Sell to buy is what we are but at least this time we spent first, which I think is all the majority of us wanted.

I too am delighted but feel Hoever will be a very good player in the future and will be linked back to us as a possible signing. Probably be when Klopp has gone and FSG reappoint Brendan Rodgers *shudders*

32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I too am delighted but feel Hoever will be a very good player in the future and will be linked back to us as a possible signing. Probably be when Klopp has gone and FSG reappoint Brendan Rodgers *shudders*

The little Dutch gnome will get it if Klopp goes when his contract is up. By all accounts Pepijn is absolutely at the forefront with ideas and coaching. Ofcourse he failed in Holland, but the squad lacked quality to perform the way he wanted them to. Maybe his innovative nature caused his own downfall, but he will have learned from that.  

11 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Spot on. And as many of us said over the last week's it was incomprehensible we were so skint we couldn't afford players. Yet everyone has been bending over backwards to illustrate we are skint, apologising for them at every turn. They've just proved we weren't skint at all. 

51 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I know players progress at different rates, but once hoever had fallen behind both Williams and koumetio, I think it's time to accept he's pretty unlikely to make it here.

Here is a question, I will happily admit I am clueless on this and it is not a dig at FSG or anyone.

The Athletic are reporting, as are a few others, that we agreed 41 million because we could pay it over the course of the contract but if we had paid up front we could have got him for 35 million. So 6 million extra over 4 years. 

Why not borrow 30 million at low interest? Would it not work out cheaper ? 

Easy maths, 5% of 30 million is 1.5 million, so 6 million over 4 years and I would imagine we could borrow at a lot less than 5%.

As I said and have probably demonstrated I am clueless but that the above seems logical to me. 

To repeat I am not trying to twist this to have a go at FSG.

17 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Here is a question, I will happily admit I am clueless on this and it is not a dig at FSG or anyone.

The Athletic are reporting, as are a few others, that we agreed 41 million because we could pay it over the course of the contract but if we had paid up front we could have got him for 35 million. So 6 million extra over 4 years. 

Why not borrow 30 million at low interest? Would it not work out cheaper ? 

Easy maths, 5% of 30 million is 1.5 million, so 6 million over 4 years and I would imagine we could borrow at a lot less than 5%.

As I said and have probably demonstrated I am clueless but that the above seems logical to me. 

To repeat I am not trying to twist this to have a go at FSG.

Or what the athletic are saying is bollox as it has been all summer when they were spinning we were too skint to buy. So what the club want now and I've read it in articles from the athletic and the echo is how we've managed to do these deals without spending. Thiago is using lallana's wages and the low fee was something we could afford - that was true all summer when we were skint! We've done this deal with wolves where we have to pay almost nothing now, thanks to kind of giving away hoever. So we're not under pressure to sell. What we've done is squad enhancement and we're happy to keep everyone because the money is not short despite the purchases. The same people saying just weeks ago that there was no space in the squad for new players unless players go. And why are they trying to send that message? Because they want top dollar for the outbound players. If sheff United think we're desperate to sell Brewster, well they'll low ball us. Same with origi, chamberlain, Shaq, Wilson, grujic and whoever else we're trying to sell. 

So these "respected" journalists continue to show themselves as nothing of the sort and they're nothing but propaganda merchants. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or what the athletic are saying is bollox as it has been all summer when they were spinning we were too skint to buy. So what the club want now and I've read it in articles from the athletic and the echo is how we've managed to do these deals without spending. Thiago is using lallana's wages and the low fee was something we could afford - that was true all summer when we were skint! We've done this deal with wolves where we have to pay almost nothing now, thanks to kind of giving away hoever. So we're not under pressure to sell. What we've done is squad enhancement and we're happy to keep everyone because the money is not short despite the purchases. The same people saying just weeks ago that there was no space in the squad for new players unless players go. And why are they trying to send that message? Because they want top dollar for the outbound players. If sheff United think we're desperate to sell Brewster, well they'll low ball us. Same with origi, chamberlain, Shaq, Wilson, grujic and whoever else we're trying to sell. 

So these "respected" journalists continue to show themselves as nothing of the sort and they're nothing but propaganda merchants. 

Agreed.  But if it works for us, I'm happy.

16 minutes ago, aws said:

Agreed.  But if it works for us, I'm happy.

Deffo. Klopp now has 3 players he wanted, I think that's what we all wanted to see, the manager supported. And I would still expect us to break even fee wise at the end of it, the last panic part of the window is to come. But I'm less worried about that than I was this idea the sales had to become before any purchases. It seems once there's been some strong interest in some of our fringe players, we've been brave enough to pull the trigger. I wouldn't even be surprised if we haven't got some sort of algorithm for measuring the number of enquiries for players with likely outcome.