You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Will be interesting to see the path this thread takes from here on.

I think what they have done this year is the minimum required to protect their investment. Not going all accountancy here basically the value of the squad is a big part of what they are offering to sell eventually. For me they have taken a short term punt 1-4 years on solidifying the success of the team under Klopps final years at the expense of the potential of younger players. So to a new buyer the team will be an easy sell the future prospects and potential new manager will be a concern. So I expect quite a bit of future investment in the youth and succession planning for management (don’t know Edwards age) and getting rid of deadwood. Also I suspect we will see a few high profile players leave by seeing out their contracts .

Why would anyone think they’re going to sell? We’re currently in a market low point so no one would sell now for one thing.

For another they are all cash rich, so why not stay asset rich in something that has been growing massively in value since they bought in?

And is also pretty good fun to own, a few annoying fans excepted. Would you rather own Liverpool or Weetabix? One for @Barrington Womble there.

31 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

I think what they have done this year is the minimum required to protect their investment. Not going all accountancy here basically the value of the squad is a big part of what they are offering to sell eventually. For me they have taken a short term punt 1-4 years on solidifying the success of the team under Klopps final years at the expense of the potential of younger players. So to a new buyer the team will be an easy sell the future prospects and potential new manager will be a concern. So I expect quite a bit of future investment in the youth and succession planning for management (don’t know Edwards age) and getting rid of deadwood. Also I suspect we will see a few high profile players leave by seeing out their contracts .

Let it go fella, its not worth the stress. The have brought 1 for here and now at the age of 29 and 2 younger players at 23 and 24 hopefully for now and the future. Football goes in 3-5 year cycles, you always have to build for the future whilst protecting the here and now.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Why would anyone think they’re going to sell? We’re currently in a market low point so no one would sell now for one thing.

For another they are all cash rich, so why not stay asset rich in something that has been growing massively in value since they bought in?

And is also pretty good fun to own, a few annoying fans excepted. Would you rather own Liverpool or Weetabix? One for @Barrington Womble there.

I don't think they'll sell, but they could water their share. That's their investment model. 

And I'm not sure owning Liverpool represents any real fun at all, they've probably attended no more that 15-20 games and it seems that is mostly when they pop over around April time each year when they're finalising budgets. Their baseball clearly represents fun for them, I'm not sure Liverpool does. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think they'll sell, but they could water their share. That's their investment model. 

And I'm not sure owning Liverpool represents any real fun at all, they've probably attended no more that 15-20 games and it seems that is mostly when they pop over around April time each year when they're finalising budgets. Their baseball clearly represents fun for them, I'm not sure Liverpool does. 

Its bragging rights between the rich, they will be giving it large over the Cl, WCC and PL wins. It means more to them than a couple of hundred extra million in the bank.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Let it go fella, its not worth the stress. The have brought 1 for here and now at the age of 29 and 2 younger players at 23 and 24 hopefully for now and the future. Football goes in 3-5 year cycles, you always have to build for the future whilst protecting the here and now.

Aye happy enough think there a gap there in the 18 to 21 age bracket however doesn’t effect first team and can be worked on . 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Don’t think they selling now but as an investment and projecting the value of that investment the length and end date of Klopps contract would be what as an investor I would be worrying about.  As slug said just going to enjoy next four years we are going to play some stuff with this team.

3 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Its bragging rights between the rich, they will be giving it large over the Cl, WCC and PL wins. It means more to them than a couple of hundred extra million in the bank.

I'm not sure billionaire Americans are too fussed about football bragging rights to be honest. I know youngsters like football, but I'm not sure there's much love or interest in it for aging rich white men. I'd feel sure amongst their peers they'll get more kudos from the valuation of the business and making such a value investment than they would for a CL or PL win. 

47 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure billionaire Americans are too fussed about football bragging rights to be honest. I know youngsters like football, but I'm not sure there's much love or interest in it for aging rich white men. I'd feel sure amongst their peers they'll get more kudos from the valuation of the business and making such a value investment than they would for a CL or PL win. 

Yeah, that's why he's taking pictures of himself with a cup-filled cake. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

No point trying to imagine what billionaires are thinking behind the scenes, they live on a different planet to us peasants. 

Beyond who has the biggest yacht, we really have no idea about the things they care about. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Aventus said:

No point trying to imagine what billionaires are thinking behind the scenes, they live on a different planet to us peasants. 

Beyond who has the biggest yacht, we really have no idea about the things they care about. 

Yep, I get what you're saying. But I do often meet these types in my line of work and my experience is most of them see football as a joke and don't count it as a sport. 

So, Edwards has worked within the confines of restrictions he faces to structure two deals with minimal up front outlay (£5m and £4m) covered by a a sale, and which will allow the remaining payments to be covered by future small scale sales.

Great work on his part to ensure Klopp gets what he needs, but still sell to buy, so nothing out of the ordinary for us.

• Upvote 1

We havent sold anyone to fund Thiago. Jota has had his medical and might even be signing today. Hoever deal is £9m up front with add ons. The club hasnt even got that money yet.

All this carping is just an endless circular argument because next, if we have any more outgoings, the 'net spend' argument will just get thrown into the ring again and around we go. Again.