You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

14 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I posted an entire conservative summer window summary in the transfers thread. I don’t know an easy way to find it so here goes an updated version

out

lovren - 11m

origi - 25m

larouci - 4m

Wilson - 17m

Grujic - 19

karius - 6m
Lallana - free, high wages gone

clyne - see above 

72m raised

In

tsimikas - 12m

thiago - 27m

attacker - 30m

cb - 15m

84m spent

Net 12m spent in the best scenario. However, I don’t think the club should be reliant on making every one of those sales before spending. If that net figure is 30-40m because we couldn’t sell everybody, I’d hope we can absorb that. I also don’t care about the figures we spend as long as the players come in...if we can find an attacker for 10m who is good enough, happy days. 

Is the above not a fairly realistic and conservative “want”?

That's a perfect post, in terms of seeing the club acting this summer. Hopefully if the sales department does raise £72m then spending more than £30m on an attacking player would be more than reasonable. Everything else on the buy list I'd go with.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

After 97 points (the 3rd most in English football history) & a European Cup, could they be confident the existing squad could go one better & win what we’ve all wanted for 30 years?

Okay - on the basis of this, what made them buy a left back this summer? Same squad as last year, no? Are they now somehow less confident after the same squad after it brought home number 19? Why did we buy Minamino in Jan?

None of us are soft man, so let's cut the rubbish. If Klopp had such confidence in his 'squad' (not 'team), we would have seen more of Origi, Shaqiri and Elliot. 

We banked on no injurys. It was a gamble. As Gaul is asking, why are we having to make such big gambles if we aren't skint?

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

That's a perfect post, in terms of seeing the club acting this summer. Hopefully if the sales department does raise £72m then spending more than £30m on an attacking player would be more than reasonable. Everything else on the buy list I'd go with.

I agree. Can you understand why it's a bit unfair for posters to make out posters like me are asking for a sugar daddy then?

We all want the same thing. Reasoned, calculated and moderate investment. Some of us are just more skeptical of our owners doing what is required to make that happen - based on previous windows...

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Shirley the only accounts we’re interested in is a European Cup, a Super Cup, a Club World Championship & a Premiership?

You're not wrong about that. But I want more than just those cups. I think klopp does too. I'd hope other Liverpool fans do. I think everyone on Boston will be just fine about anything as long as the revenues are good, if we never won a trophy for years but kept getting top 4 (like Wenger did for years), they'll be just fine. 

And I'm aware every penny spent with this manager is worth 5 spent with someone else.  Klopp has enough years left to do one of 2 things. 1. We let this squad pretty much stick with him with minor adjustments and grow old together (like that Madrid side that beat us in 2019) till his contract expires. Or 2. We start to freshen it up, so when his time is over we still have a great team and hopefully whoever takes over doesn't have to start a rebuilding job with an ownership who've grown use to klopp magic and spending fuck all for years. 

I think in sport it's pretty much expected as soon as you stand still you go backwards. So if those trophies are enough for you and now we go back to 1991, good for you. I want to go back to 1975. 

3 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

You said we are not skint, but we are just saving our truck load money and waiting out the pandemic before we go big.

So Gaul's question is, why didn't we spend a dime before the pandemic?

Anyway, we're going around in circles.

We didn't spend last year because the boss was happy with his squad. Turns out he was correct.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

You're not wrong about that. But I want more than just those cups. I think klopp does too. I'd hope other Liverpool fans do. I think everyone on Boston will be just fine about anything as long as the revenues are good, if we never won a trophy for years but kept getting top 4 (like Wenger did for years), they'll be just fine. 

And I'm aware every penny spent with this manager is worth 5 spent with someone else.  Klopp has enough years left to do one of 2 things. 1. We let this squad pretty much stick with him with minor adjustments and grow old together (like that Madrid side that beat us in 2019) till his contract expires. Or 2. We start to freshen it up, so when his time is over we still have a great team and hopefully whoever takes over doesn't have to start a rebuilding job with an ownership who've grown use to klopp magic and spending fuck all for years. 

I think in sport it's pretty much expected as soon as you stand still you go backwards. So if those trophies are enough for you and now we go back to 1991, good for you. I want to go back to 1975. 

I agree whoever the manager has the objective of trying to win the most profitable / highest profile trophies.

No question.

I (and you) would like to see us win some of the less profitable competitions (my first trophy was 1992, 1996 was suicidal, 2001 was / is one of the best days of my life, 2006 was awesome, I even really enjoyed 2012...)...

But as I said in another thread, I’m not at all suggesting we stagnate & Klopp bleeds out a winning side.

I can’t really say more that the Ribery / Robben v Mane / Salah comparison I made earlier.

IMO, whoever replaces Klopp, Klopp with ensure they don’t into the absolute best position possible.

Personally, whoever takes over in 2024 (and I’ll be surprised if it’s not Gerrard) I fundamentally don’t believe Klopp will leave him with a team in need of major, major resurgery. 

2 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

That's certainly fair. Despite what it might seem, I don't have any issue with people/posters who are okay with FSG not investing more into the club and us relying upon the revenue we generate. I just completely disagree and have a difference stance. For some reason certain posters on here think anybody disagreeing with them is a blert or 'unappreciative', etc. etc. 

On the second paragraph, fair point again - I guess the next set of accounts will reveal more. Regardless of the realities at an accounting level, I similarly share your skepticism because I find it implausible that a club as large as LFC at the peak of their powers cannot seem to match the financial might of Aston Villa on transfer fees.

Why just look at transfer fees? Why not the wages as well? 

46 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I agree whoever the manager has the objective of trying to win the most profitable / highest profile trophies.

No question.

I (and you) would like to see us win some of the less profitable competitions (my first trophy was 1992, 1996 was suicidal, 2001 was / is one of the best days of my life, 2006 was awesome, I even really enjoyed 2012...)...

But as I said in another thread, I’m not at all suggesting we stagnate & Klopp bleeds out a winning side.

I can’t really say more that the Ribery / Robben v Mane / Salah comparison I made earlier.

IMO, whoever replaces Klopp, Klopp with ensure they don’t into the absolute best position possible.

Personally, whoever takes over in 2024 (and I’ll be surprised if it’s not Gerrard) I fundamentally don’t believe Klopp will leave him with a team in need of major, major resurgery. 

The thing with the ribbery / robben thing it was sound for Munich because their league offers zero in competition domestically and they play 34 league games a season.  If we milk mane and Salah like that, we'll be out of the top 4 by then. It's different rules here. And to be honest, I actually think we need to take some pressure off them. This season is going to be so tough, run right into the internationals, 3 week and then into 21/22 and FIFA want to give us a CWC in there somewhere. And 22/23 is going to be mad with the WC in the middle of the season. And somewhere in there there's mid-season afcon (21/22?). Maybe minamino will be sound and maybe not. But he needs to be better than origi and he's not shown that yet, well not playing for us. 

Whichever way we look at it, it's pretty clear klopp wants support in terms of players..he wanted Werner. He's on record of saying he'd like to improve on what we have but covid uncertainty means we can't. This bloke is a fucking genius. Even trying to think like fsg, I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't want him spending the club's money, as he turns nearly every player he touches into gold. 

53 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Why just look at transfer fees? Why not the wages as well? 

Fair point. Based on sources I could find, we have roughly the 3rd highest wage bill. That's definitely notable, and we definitely spent some money keeping some of our best players through better contracts.

Funnily enough when I was looking at the wages just now, I saw how underpaid some of our players are. Salah is on double what Mane is on, I think. Surprising.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Whichever way we look at it, it's pretty clear klopp wants support in terms of players..he wanted Werner. He's on record of saying he'd like to improve on what we have but covid uncertainty means we can't. This bloke is a fucking genius. Even trying to think like fsg, I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't want him spending the club's money, as he turns nearly every player he touches into gold. 

This is a great point. Even putting a capitalist hat on, buying promising players right now is a near sure bet. Klopp makes them twice the player they already are and Edwards squeezes out maximum amounts in xfer fees. Werner comes here for 50m and we can sell him for 140m in about three years.

9 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Fair point. Based on sources I could find, we have roughly the 3rd highest wage bill. That's definitely notable, and we definitely spent some money keeping some of our best players through better contracts.

Funnily enough when I was looking at the wages just now, I saw how underpaid some of our players are. Salah is on double what Mane is on, I think. Surprising.

I can't see that being true any more, didn't Mane sign a new deal pretty recently?

FSG also do like to sign a player before they become worth massive wages, then pay them when they prove they're worth it.  

But yeah, they should recognise that they've got the good shit going to with Klopp and a couple of signings would give us the chance for winning a lot of shit over the next few years, and it's not going to get much better than this.

I think we have made a bit of profit the last couple of years, so we should have the transfer funds to make a decent splash.  FSG are just being mega conservative until the covid situation sorts itself out.

8 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

This is a great point. Even putting a capitalist hat on, buying promising players right now is a near sure bet. Klopp makes them twice the player they already are and Edwards squeezes out maximum amounts in xfer fees. Werner comes here for 50m and we can sell him for 140m in about three years.

It seems it's all because they spent some money when they 1st arrived. 

Screenshot_20200813-083548.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Talking about the same old story, how many times to we need to hear this one?  Yes yes we get it, we have a strategy on transfers.  Have they got nothing better to publish?

I’m reading posts from yesterday and have no intention of looking into the detail, but I’m just going to say one thing about capitalising on our success... so far our success is two years old. 

we might have run to the CL final the years before and EL final the year before that but we didn’t win, we had no recent history of being winners, and there were questions about whether we could be or whether Klopp was destined to be a perennial nearly man.

winning the CL in 19 and coming so close in the league was obviously huge for us, but commercially speaking there’s no guarantee it was going to change the view of us as nearly men. That CL win could easily have come to look like Istanbul, a sizeable and wonderful footnote in our history of not having won the league for fucking years.

thankfully, it didn’t, and we built on it, but comparing our revenue to United, Barca, Real and Bayern and questioning we by were not ahead of them is frankly silly.

United have been shit the last few years but even still they’re not quite far enough removed from their exceptional period of dominance to erode their view as a huge club. They are still living off deals they struck when they were near the top.

were still mostly living off deals made when we were aspiring to be winners but not yet proven to be.

ive no idea if the Nike deal is good, bad or otherwise, but that’s come at a time when our flag is flying high, the next few deals we make should reflect it also. If they don’t, then questions are fair, but looking at why our deals haven’t been at the level of teams with much greater recent history of winning than we have is foolish.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

It almost backfired?

So it didn't backfire?

So it was a winning gamble?

All the above is completely irrelevant though. Check out Linda!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Talking about the same old story, how many times to we need to hear this one?  Yes yes we get it, we have a strategy on transfers.  Have they got nothing better to publish?

I think this is what winds a lot of the fans up. There's always articles about how they spent the Coutinho money, I don't know how many times they can cover that story. Then there was an article about how Liverpool cut out the middle man by buying Elliot rather than buying Sancho from Dortmund. Just always reeks of propaganda.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think this is what winds a lot of the fans up. There's always articles about how they spent the Coutinho money, I don't know how many times they can cover that story. Then there was an article about how Liverpool cut out the middle man by buying Elliot rather than buying Sancho from Dortmund. Just always reeks of propaganda.

Indeed. 

And I know the club don't publish these articles but I doubt a writer would prefer to tread the same old ground about how great we are behind the scenes than to write new, insightful stuff about the team, a player, Klopp, the future etc.  So of course it makes you wonder if they're acting as a mouthpiece for the club.

22 minutes ago, Lario said:

It almost backfired?

So it didn't backfire?

So it was a winning gamble?

All the above is completely irrelevant though. Check out Linda!

and when they say confused strategy - their head of recruitment was comoli who they hired! And while a lot of those players didn't work out then (and why would they when comoli had been there 5 min and kenny was just back in the game getting a handle on things), of course some wouldn't work out, it happens with all transfer strategies. But kenny and comoli wanted young and cahill too in that period and fsg wouldn't back them as they thought the deals were too expensive - and while neither were world beaters, they went on to have pretty decent careers with our competitors. It's all just pure nonsense for people to cling onto when we don't buy "well it went wrong in 2011 you know". Except it didn't, that period brought us suarez who was one of the most gifted players ever to play for the club and our current captain and footballer of the year. 

As for Linda, I think she is there to distract us from the fucking shitehawks who run us! I refuse to get drawn into her hype, there's a million better looking birds in the world than her, she's just fucking boss for a fella as old as henry, but his wallet knocks years off his age. 

• Upvote 1