You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

I'm not going to reply to all of the posts above but the reasons we've been able to catch up to them on overall revenue is directly linked to our success on the field. Our broadcast revenue has gone through the roof due to us being an incredibly successful team (with long CL runs) that bring massive viewing figures and this has coincided with dramatic inflations in TV money. Our competition prize revenue is the highest its ever been because we've been champions or fallen at the final hurdle in major competitions every year since Klopp has arrived. Finally, we've generated a fuck ton of revenue through exorbitant player sales (due to the brilliance of Edwards and Klopp).

What exactly of the above should FSG be afforded primary credit for? Because from my reading all of the above falls away without Klopp (and to a lesser extent, Edwards) being a fucking miracle worker. 

Our commercial revenue growth, something I consider to be their primary responsibility, has been poor. I don't give a fuck if you agree with me or not - it's an objective truth and the firing of Moore and hiring of Man Utd ex commercial guru is a self-admission.

We will continue to come back to the same point. If a club the size of Liverpool is not able to invest in players during the peak of their success over the past 30 years then something is wrong and somebody is not doing their job. Based on the title of this thread and all of my posts you can guess who I think those somebodies are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Mind you we'd have probably been moaning if the training ground or Main Stand had been named after some company.

To be honest mate, I don't think anybody would give a fuck as long as we saw the money invested into the team. 

I don't thinks it's an over-exaggeration to say to date under FSG, we've seen commercial deals continually hyped up, sponsors up the fanny, and not a single resultant inflation of net investment in the playing squad. 

4 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Accounts are back and white. Despite 20 years of success, look how it has grown through what's been a poor decade for the mancs. I've said it before, commercially Ian Ayre started turning us around and was doing a good job with increased revenues before fsg were here. It's just those gobshite owners we had undid all that good work as they were ripping is off. We've made no great leaps at all compared to the mancs. It's there on paper, there can be just no disputing it. 

You would think so mate. I've literally posted a graph showing our (lack of) commercial revenue growth, something that can only be truly objective, and I'm getting told the reason was because we once had Roy Hodgson as a manager.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

To be honest mate, I don't think anybody would give a fuck as long as we saw the money invested into the team. 

I don't thinks it's an over-exaggeration to say to date under FSG, we've seen commercial deals continually hyped up, sponsors up the fanny, and not a single resultant inflation of net investment in the playing squad. 

Well, our wage bill in 2018-9 was £310m - 58% of turnover.

Our total turnover in 2014-5 was £298m.

So might be a bit of an exaggeration.

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

You would think so mate. I've literally posted a graph showing our (lack of) commercial revenue growth, something that can only be truly objective, and I'm getting told the reason was because we once had Roy Hodgson as a manager.

This is your problem, you're ignoring all context. We're Liverpool, champions of everything, we should be ahead of Man Utd. The starting point for FSG wasn't as simple as Man Utd are making 20m more in revenue, go and match or beat that.

We were as bad on the pitch as we had ever been and Utd were at their best. We had fuck all to sell and owners with no experience in football. As the gap grew on the pitch so did the gap in revenue, perfectly obvious.

You're like a loon on GOT complaining that Hummell aren't matching the redshites deal with Nike despite their world wide pedigree.  Its the same thing, pick a start date and ignore all other relevant details.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

This is your problem, you're ignoring all context. We're Liverpool, champions of everything, we should be ahead of Man Utd. The starting point for FSG wasn't as simple as Man Utd are making 20m more in revenue, go and match or beat that.

We were as bad on the pitch as we had ever been and Utd were at their best. We had fuck all to sell and owners with no experience in football. As the gap grew on the pitch so did the gap in revenue, perfectly obvious.

You're like a loon on GOT complaining that Hummell aren't matching the redshites deal with Nike despite their world wide pedigree.  Its the same thing, pick a start date and ignore all other relevant details.

Didn't the commercial gap grow most post-Ferguson and while they were struggling to decide on a manager and playing some shit football?  

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

Didn't the commercial gap grow most post-Ferguson and while they were struggling to decide on a manager and playing some shit football?  

Again you can't pick a date and ignore context. Even in 2014 when Moyes was breaking all sorts of records they still had the Ferguson years to sell. They didn't go to 7 years with out a title over night, they hired an experience manager  and won the FA Cup. They then spent massively on Mourinho, Ibramhimovic and Pogba, all 3 brought in with commercial deals in mind. They were still selling a very realistic chance of partnering with success. At that point a much more likely outcome than us producing success.

4 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I'm not going to reply to all of the posts above but the reasons we've been able to catch up to them on overall revenue is directly linked to our success on the field. Our broadcast revenue has gone through the roof due to us being an incredibly successful team (with long CL runs) that bring massive viewing figures and this has coincided with dramatic inflations in TV money. Our competition prize revenue is the highest its ever been because we've been champions or fallen at the final hurdle in major competitions every year since Klopp has arrived. Finally, we've generated a fuck ton of revenue through exorbitant player sales (due to the brilliance of Edwards and Klopp).

What exactly of the above should FSG be afforded primary credit for? Because from my reading all of the above falls away without Klopp (and to a lesser extent, Edwards) being a fucking miracle worker. 

Our commercial revenue growth, something I consider to be their primary responsibility, has been poor. I don't give a fuck if you agree with me or not - it's an objective truth and the firing of Moore and hiring of Man Utd ex commercial guru is a self-admission.

We will continue to come back to the same point. If a club the size of Liverpool is not able to invest in players during the peak of their success over the past 30 years then something is wrong and somebody is not doing their job. Based on the title of this thread and all of my posts you can guess who I think those somebodies are.

Well, first off, the Deloitte revenue figures ignore player sales - I guess because they're so fluctuating from year to year and don't really demonstrate the health of the finances - so you need to take that out of your thinking on the revenue side.

But commercial revenue is always going to be tied to success - always.  Whether it's success from years ago that got us a big worldwide fan base from the 60s and 70s, or new success that gets a new generation of fans.

There is no club on earth that can be commercially successful independent of being successful on the playing side.

So really you should be giving FSG more credit because we have been successful under them - they appointed Klopp, surrounded him with an effective support network, and largely got out of his way, which has generated this great run of being good.

It should have netted us more fans around the world, leading to a nice happy virtuous commercial benefits for years to come.

As in my earlier post, it does seem that the club could have done a bit better on the commercial deals side, I agree there. 

And also as per my latter post, our wage bill in 2015 was £166m.  In 2019 it was £310m.

To say we haven't invested increased revenues into investment in players is just a bit silly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Again you can't pick a date and ignore context. Even in 2014 when Moyes was breaking all sorts of records they still had the Ferguson years to sell. They didn't go to 7 years with out a title over night, they hired an experience manager  and won the FA Cup. They then spent massively on Mourinho, Ibramhimovic and Pogba, all 3 brought in with commercial deals in mind. They were still selling a very realistic chance of partnering with success. At that point a much more likely outcome than us producing success.

Oh I wasn't ignoring context I understand where you're coming from, I was just pointing out that commercial growth isn't only linked to success.  They found other ways to grow the commercial side, we didn't.  I'm not saying they were right and we were wrong or inept as ultimately it may have cost them more (big unsuccessful signings on massive wages, a disruptive miserable manager casting a cloud over the club).  But we really shouldn't be struggling for sleeve sponsorship, IF that's true it's a shocking indictment.

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

Oh I wasn't ignoring context I understand where you're coming from, I was just pointing out that commercial growth isn't only linked to success.  They found other ways to grow the commercial side, we didn't.  I'm not saying they were right and we were wrong or inept as ultimately it may have cost them more (big unsuccessful signings on massive wages, a disruptive miserable manager casting a cloud over the club).  But we really shouldn't be struggling for sleeve sponsorship, IF that's true it's a shocking indictment.

The sleeve thing is a little weird. My guess is we had something lined up and ready to sign and then the world changed. Western Union were paying 5m a year iirc, matching or beating that wouldn't have been a problem.

Based on the link below we were hoovering up partners so would have had no problem selling the sleeves, again only guessing here but I suspect we will wait and see the lay of the land before signing any deals of this nature.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/liverpools-commercial-revenue-is-fastest-growing-2018-19-income-stream/

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its a football site. Moaning about anything is trivial if you compare it to life and death.

I just wish the whole PL business model exploded overnight and football had to restructure itself a little closer to real life,the football league too and a little bit of magic could return to the game. I mean,moaning about revenue streams has got to be one of the most 'Sky Generation' things ever. If you are an LFC supporter you'd just enjoy the moment,especially if you are too young to remember us being champions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The one thing you can’t attack them for. 

Nothing is off limits. If that deals works out it's because Klopp made us brilliant and all the glory hunters wanted a piece of it.

I think a healthy scepticism of even the best owners is important, but the anger directed towards FSG on here is bizarre. 

And I can only imagine Jurgen’s reaction to the suggestion that he’s the one solitary person at the club responsible for getting us back on our perch. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think a healthy scepticism of even the best owners is important, but the anger directed towards FSG on here is bizarre. 

And I can only imagine Jurgen’s reaction to the suggestion that he’s the one solitary person at the club responsible for getting us back on our perch. 

The complete opposite of what he would think.

31 minutes ago, No2 said:

I admire your dedication to the cause.

The truth is its exhausting all this banging heads in here. I hate them, I always have done, my stance has not changed over the years, I'm very wary of them as owners. All good when the sun is shining but their stewardship will come under scrutiny when Jurgen leaves we will then see just how instrumental he has been, I'm hoping its not a Ferguson moment. I also get why people like them as success must mean they are doing something right to people.

I just don't think it is hard to see why people are polarised over them. As frencheyeglass said its constant mixed messages of how clever and great we are regarding finances, whilst crying poverty and being prudent on the flip side. 

I had an argument with that plum Gorst the other day about our winnings, he thought it was ridiculous that I was suggesting we were getting 175million for winning the Prem And this is our local Club correspondent. As I've said before maybe the problem lies with our 'connected' journalists, constantly spinning out contradictory content, but no doubt at all in my mind that its coming directly from the club, which in turns winds up the fanbase.

I liked it better when you just discovered we'd signed someone in the paper in the 80s!