You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

32 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think we went in with a ridiculously low offer of £8m and Ajax wanted about £25m. We eventually settled on £22m.

We did that all the time. Remember Salah first time around? we low balled at 8m and Chelsea got him for 11. Same with Willian. FSG did it constantly.

51 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its not just the winning but about staying at the top and regularly challenging, and more to the point, planning for a time without Jurgen at the helm and not slipping back into old ways.

Pretty sure they are aware of that. In any case you can bang on for the next four years if it makes you happier.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

And the FSG Out Brigade? 

It's the language and exaggeration to any, valid, questioning of FSG's ambition.

Why shouldn't they be questioned?  

Helps if you just think of him as a cross between Hermes & Durango, FSG could admit to lighting puppies on fire and he'd defend them for reducing our carbon footprint.

images (38).jpeg

53 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Pretty sure they are aware of that. In any case you can bang on for the next four years if it makes you happier.

Pretty sure Klopp knows we need another forward but if he chooses to spend whatever money he has on a midfielder doesn't mean we can't question it.

Fine, you don't want to "bang on" (more hyperbole) about the owners and I presume you don't want to read it either, so why enter the thread?

Just now, Moo said:

Pretty sure Klopp knows we need another forward but if he chooses to spend whatever money he has on a midfielder doesn't mean we can't question it.

Fine, you don't want to "bang on" (more hyperbole) about the owners and Ipresume you don't want to read it either, so why enter the thread?

I like to see pictures of really big boats.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I love it how the hyperbole is one way, supposedly.

Oh I'm sure it's not, but there's suggestions here that some posters aspire to be like City/Chelsea/PSG however I don't see comments from the other end of the scale saying FSG are akin to Mike Ashley.

As far as I can tell people are questioning their ambition both in terms of the stadium and transfer funds, which is entirely with merit even if others disagree, it's not a controversial opinion that requires a passionate defence of the owners.

Happy to be corrected on what's being said, I don't recall all posts just the general tone off the thread recently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The thing is here, the people who defend fsg originally used to wheel out we weren't sell to buy. They used to tell us "the money will be there next window", but we all know now the next window never came. 

Then it was "well if klopp really wanted someone they wouldn't say no", yet klopp has said this week that's exactly what they'll do. 

And to defend them because they've won something at last... It's like they didn't preside over 1/3 of that 30 years and were our owners during our longest run without a trophy since the 60s. 

We've had a fucking brilliant 2 years, thanks to the genius of klopp and the talent and commitment from the players. But our model is not set up for sustained success. It's set up to try and get us in the top 4 and hope it goes well. And klopp won't be able to do it forever without players. As I posted I think on this thread only last week. If you want sustained success, look at what us and the mancs did for 40 years and it was buy from a position of strength. Instead what we're doing is just seeing if we can roll the dice again with the same guys because that's the cheapest way forward and they know they've got years of credit in the bank to do what the fuck they want after the last 2 years. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Guest Pistonbroke

Football is a business for most and our owners lucked out big style with Klopp. It's like employing someone without any high expectations and he turns your company around because he just happens to be fucking great at the job you employed him to do. For the likes of City you can just keep throwing money at it despite how qualified your leader is and if he fucks up you just plug away regardless of the cost. I honestly don't want FSG to start spending beyond our means, but I think they owe Klopp at least the dignity to spend what he has earned the club! 

Anyone who expects the club to spend any money this year has obviously been Rip van Winkeling it for the last 4 months.  

1.  There's a global pandemic on. 

2.  There's no-one in the stadium, which has already cost the club tens of millions of pounds

3.  No-one knows if or when fans will come back, so it's likely going to cost the club tens more millions next season.

4.  It is highly likely that commercial deals are going to be less because the global economy is absolutely fucked.

5.  We can't off load squad players for decent fees, because loads of other clubs have no money whatsoever.  Spurs just had to take out a massive loan just to stay afloat.  There is no Bournemouth paying 20 million for Harry Wilson this year.

6.  There's a good chance that this uncertain situation exists for the next couple of years.

Yes, we have hoarded money from previous transfer windows, and should have some to spend - we've also committed a lot to contracts and wage increases for the current squad as well as 150 million building Kirkby and the new Anny Road (on pause that though too obviously)

FSG could have spent their own money in upgrading Anfield, and I definitely have sympathy with this view point. 

They've reaped massive returns on their initial investment without putting an extra penny in, just by running the club pretty well.  However, we've seen in the years they've been here that they're not going to do it, so if you're still angry about that by now then you are better at maintaining the rage than me. 

I also would prefer the club to be majority fan owned, and there would be the same need for the club to be self sustainable if that was the case, so while it sticks in the craw that an investment group is reaping the benefits rather than the club and fans, the financial model isn't any different.

This year, even if FSG were inclined to dip into their own funds, they probably can't do it as their other major interest is baseball and that is even more fucked the football is.

It's pretty clear from what Klopp has said that we had the Werner deal lined up, but the uncertainty of future income meant the club pulled the plug.

He also said the other day that, while we won't be signing anyone this off season, it potentially might happen later in the year.  Pretty clear we are being conservative with the funds because we have no idea what next years income or the year after is going to look like.  Once the situation becomes more certain then we might.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

The thing is here, the people who defend fsg originally used to wheel out we weren't sell to buy. They used to tell us "the money will be there next window", but we all know now the next window never came. 

Then it was "well if klopp really wanted someone they wouldn't say no", yet klopp has said this week that's exactly what they'll do. 

And to defend them because they've won something at last... It's like they didn't preside over 1/3 of that 30 years and were our owners during our longest run without a trophy since the 60s. 

We've had a fucking brilliant 2 years, thanks to the genius of klopp and the talent and commitment from the players. But our model is not set up for sustained success. It's set up to try and get us in the top 4 and hope it goes well. And klopp won't be able to do it forever without players. As I posted I think on this thread only last week. If you want sustained success, look at what us and the mancs did for 40 years and it was buy from a position of strength. Instead what we're doing is just seeing if we can roll the dice again with the same guys because that's the cheapest way forward and they know they've got years of credit in the bank to do what the fuck they want after the last 2 years. 

Well that's these people faults. It's pretty clear we've been sell to buy. I've still not heard why that's a bad thing, though. I mean the whole point of building a team is keeping the good players who are happy to play for you and to replace the ones who don't want to play for you. You can't tell me anyone good has ever been sold when they still wanted to be here. The difference now is players want to be here, so there's less room in the squad and less money to spend. Oh well. 

And the difference between us and Manchester United is they've always been the richest club, they could buy anybody. That's just not realistic when we were mediocre for 25 years and started to lag behind. FSG are our owners because they think they can compete in a world where there are financial regulations. The problem is, there aren't any and so now their crime is basically that they're broke and don't/can't spend their own money because the supposed rules say they shouldn't. That's just not really a fair criticism, to be honest. It's bad faith. 

I've always just enjoyed that they're competent for the most part at owning a sports team. That's it really. And it's enough for me I guess, not for some.