You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

23 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

My eyes rolled so hard when I read this post that I could see the inside of my skull. Fucking hell, buddy. 

Yeah, sorry I guess. I was pissed and emotional. 

Lets move on, and watch this bitch fest unfold 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Only just caught up with this thread. Wow. Don’t know why people are surprised at Code, it he lived here he’d be a Tory and he’s a Thatcher fan. 

Fucking hell. He's an unusual "social democrat", that's for sure. But I have him down as Blairite rather than Thatcherite. For what that cigarette paper distinction is worth...

5 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Fucking hell. He's an unusual "social democrat", that's for sure. But I have him down as Blairite rather than Thatcherite. For what that cigarette paper distinction is worth...

The distinction is worth the length of a bridge over the Atlantic - Thatcher was at least honest and true about being an out-and-out cunt.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

The point I was trying to make 7 years ago, was that Liverpools problems started long before Thatcher got the power. Her treatment of the city, especially after the riots obviously did not help, but the problems in the 70’s and 80’s did not start because of her.

1 minute ago, Code said:

The point I was trying to make 7 years ago, was that Liverpools problems started long before Thatcher got the power. Her treatment of the city, especially after the riots obviously did not help, but the problems in the 70’s and 80’s did not start because of her.

You are now trolling,big time.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are now trolling,big time.

How am I trolling?

What Im pointing out are facts, no ifs and buts about it.

Thatchers politics was in the main bad for Liverpool, but not what started the citys decline.

31 minutes ago, Code said:

How am I trolling?

Thatchers politics was in the main bad for Liverpool, but not what started the citys decline.

Do you not cringe a bit lecturing people from Liverpool about their own city?

If you don't then there is something slightly amiss with you because it's probably the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on any internet forum.

32 minutes ago, Code said:

How am I trolling?

I don't know where to start but it deserves a longer and more detailed answer than I can offer at the moment. Thatcher was not 'entirely' the problem,of course she wasn't but her government was a major part of it because they targeted Merseyside and simply refused to mediate or negotiate over its own future back in the late 1970s when the opportunity arose to take Britain into a new post manufacturing and technological future. Instead she chose 'managed decline' over anything else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't know where to start but it deserves a longer and more detailed answer than I can offer at the moment. Thatcher was not 'entirely' the problem,of course she wasn't but her government was a major part of it because they targeted Merseyside and simply refused to mediate or negotiate over its own future back in the late 1970s when the opportunity arose to take Britain into a new post manufacturing and technological future. Instead she chose 'managed decline' over anything else. 

You see, now that's a good post.

Maybe humour just isn't your thing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Do you not cringe a bit lecturing people from Liverpool about their own city?

If you don't then there is something slightly amiss with you because it's probably the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on any internet forum.

Before I answer I have two questions.

1. Am I wrong?

2. Does everyone from Liverpool have A-levels in modern history?

4 minutes ago, Code said:

Before I answer I have two questions.

1. Am I wrong?

2. Does everyone from Liverpool have A-levels in modern history?

Define "modern history", and is the first question rhetorical?

I don't remember your ever being wrong.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, skaro said:

Define "modern history", and is the first question rhetorical?

I don't remember your ever being wrong.

1970-1979, or 41 to 50 years ago is part of modern history.

Im sometimes wrong, but not very often, and this is not one of them.

Liverpool as a city had its struggles before Thatcher got the power, that was my point. Those not aware of this, could think that Thatcher was the reason for it all. Nothing else really.

Am I missing the part where anybody pointed to Thatcher as the beginning of the city's economic decline? 

She certainly put her boot on-top of that decline and pushed down. 

The thing was a cunt and that is a fact. 

21 minutes ago, Code said:

1970-1979, or 41 to 50 years ago is part of modern history.

Im sometimes wrong, but not very often, and this is not one of them.

Liverpool as a city had its struggles before Thatcher got the power, that was my point. Those not aware of this, could think that Thatcher was the reason for it all. Nothing else really.

Yes OK, thanks.

Hanging around a forum - for a second time around - where lots and lots of people are wrong and you're pretty much always right must be frightfully tedious.

The patience of Job, northern Europeans, bless them.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Liverpool began to decline in the 70s for one simple reason. It was on the wrong side of the country.

Joining the EU meant most of our trade was done with Europe and Liverpool was not a viable port for that.

I think that reason has its merits, but it's one of many. While the city has always been relatively poor,a large part of its population are families of immigrants,Irish and Scottish are most visible but Welsh,Chinese,African(families of liberated slaves and African have sailors settled in the city over the generations) and almost any other communities you can shake a stick at. And I think Merseyside has been one of the major success stories of mixing immigrants into its culture. There has always been a sense of community that crossed culture and language barriers and most of its population were raised on stories of persecution hatred from authorities such as the British government. A common bond was formed through which the population has largely rejected right wing rhetoric and hatred and this is another part of the reason Thatcher and the tories hate the city as its been difficult to create those divides that exist elsewhere but exist much less on Merseyside. Its never been about economics where the tories are concerned,it has always about their own definition of the word 'class' and that means subjugation of everybody but the very wealthy. Merseyside,I am proud to say,has never fell for that bullshit and hopefully never will.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1