You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

I still cant get over the sheer stupidity of it. They must be stupid to think there would be no backlash over it.

My uncle played for Bill Shankly and my Dad basically never shut up about him when I was growing up. Shankly would have been mortified about this and he would have probably offered to pay everyones wages if he was around today. Bob Paisley would have been the same. 

I've always known that the club has always had a cuntish side to it and not just these owners, but these owners have shown a shocking lack of self awareness doing this. You cant market yourself as a club different to others with caring values then tell your staff to wait for government money while you pay agents and players fortunes. 

It doesn't matter if Wetherspoons or Richard Branson do it to say that Liverpool should be entitled to use the scheme, a football club that makes huge amounts of money and is idolised by millions of fans, a lot of who are kids should set an example. 

The thing about us that attracts a lot of foreign fans is that we appear to be a community club that sticks together (YNWA and all that) as opposed to an oil club or money making "brand" like Man Utd. 

• Upvote 1

They have been here for almost a decade now and this shows they have learnt fuck all about the history and ethos of this club. 

In the clubs darkest hours everyone joined together to be there for one another. The club, players and fans. 

This is a far cry from those days.

23 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I still cant get over the sheer stupidity of it. They must be stupid to think there would be no backlash over it.

My uncle played for Bill Shankly and my Dad basically never shut up about him when I was growing up. Shankly would have been mortified about this and he would have probably offered to pay everyones wages if he was around today. Bob Paisley would have been the same. 

I've always known that the club has always had a cuntish side to it and not just these owners, but these owners have shown a shocking lack of self awareness doing this. You cant market yourself as a club different to others with caring values then tell your staff to wait for government money while you pay agents and players fortunes. 

It doesn't matter if Wetherspoons or Richard Branson do it to say that Liverpool should be entitled to use the scheme, a football club that makes huge amounts of money and is idolised by millions of fans, a lot of who are kids should set an example. 

The thing about us that attracts a lot of foreign fans is that we appear to be a community club that sticks together (YNWA and all that) as opposed to an oil club or money making "brand" like Man Utd. 

Bingo. How some people, a small minority admittedly, who profess to support the club don't get this beggars belief. Unfortunately what I am picking up from their posts is an inability to distinguish between what the club can do versus what the club should do.

But it's so simple there is no ambiguity or nuance. In times of crisis you rally round and look after your family. You don't sub-contract that out to the government or if you do, don't expect anyone to have any respect for you anymore. The relationship will be gone, never to return.

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to be as rational as I can about this, but no matter how hard I try this just feels like a monumentally short-sighted and stupid decision. The club has spent the past decade trying to position itself as a servant of the community (whether or not you think that's bollocks). They then try and leverage that position as part of the overall appeal of the club, but you can only push that so far - if the club is a true servant then it can't exploit the community it claims to serve. That would shatter the illusion because you can't have it both ways and be both pillar of the community and business.

Well this decision has pushed beyond those limits: there is absolutely no way the club can now claim to be run in any kind of public or community interest. "This means more" and the "LFC family" have been ruthlessly exposed as corporate branding. We probably already knew that but it's nakedly apparent now: that's not the true ethos of the club - or at least the commercial entity of it.

They're entitled to do it. It makes good short-term business sense to do it. There are companies with even less "right" (in terms of profit and number of staff affected, McDonalds and BA etc.) to do it. But those are run as businesses and make no pretence to represent anything else. Neither can LFC any more.

Might have been The Athletic that said the move pissed off our senior players as it completely undermines whatever contribution they want to make to the NHS.  Henderson has been to the fore in trying to get a common approach from players across the top flight.

My guess is that the FSG numbers people figured that as taxes are inevitably going to rise next year to offset the cost of all of this, and we are a profitable company that pays a lot of tax, we will essentially be subsidising Spurs, Norwich, Newcastle and all the other clubs who take advantage of the scheme.

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

My guess is that the FSG numbers people figured that as taxes are inevitably going to rise next year to offset the cost of all of this, and we are a profitable company that pays a lot of tax, we will essentially be subsidising Spurs, Norwich, Newcastle and all the other clubs who take advantage of the scheme.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hardly free when it's businesses like theirs which will be stumping up for the cost of it.

Do you think they have done the right thing? 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Bingo. How some people, a small minority admittedly, who profess to support the club don't get this beggars belief. Unfortunately what I am picking up from their posts is an inability to distinguish between what the club can do versus what the club should do.

But it's so simple there is no ambiguity or nuance. In times of crisis you rally round and look after your family. You don't sub-contract that out to the government or if you do, don't expect anyone to have any respect for you anymore. The relationship will be gone, never to return.

I agree, I think the damage from this will be irreversible for Furlough Sports Group, fans will want them out imo.

I’m surprised they haven’t put out some kind of statement explaining their position, they must be intelligent men there are no dumb billionaires so they must know this isn’t going away. Maybe they just don’t give a fuck. The absolute state of “this means more” though, how cringey is that now?

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I agree, I think the damage from this will be irreversible for Furlough Sports Group, fans will want them out imo.

I think they will sell - the club's value is as high as it ever will be, even if it will be a tough financial market over the next year there will be some oligarch/oily fella who still needs to burn cash.

It will coincide with Klopps last year before he is off to the German national team.

36 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I’m surprised they haven’t put out some kind of statement explaining their position, they must be intelligent men there are no dumb billionaires so they must know this isn’t going away. Maybe they just don’t give a fuck. The absolute state of “this means more” though, how cringey is that now?

It was always cringey.   Liverpool sold their soul a long time ago for a new stadium.   The only difference in this lot is they're better at business. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think they will sell - the club's value is as high as it ever will be, even if it will be a tough financial market over the next year there will be some oligarch/oily fella who still needs to burn cash.

It will coincide with Klopps last year before he is off to the German national team.

I think this shows they looking to sell now. Manager and key players on long term contracts club in commercial sound footing now is the time to sell. Well pre covid it was .

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

The Duke of Wellington was an intelligent man. He invented the Chelsea Boot.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Donald-Trump-770x433.jpg.2ebd4240a5913f3605036d175e2c3160.jpg