You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

2 hours ago, Code said:

They are obviously threatened by unemployment.

Obviously. Because the club's on its knees. These employees are a major financial drain. And firing them and rehiring them (or replacements) in three months makes huge financial sense.

5 hours ago, Code said:

Is she cooking meals after traning now? Why should the club pay wages to people who are not working? It makes no sense at all. Its simply not how real life works, this is one of the reasons people and companies pay tax.

I liked this by mistake as I type like Im wearing mittens. Somebody neg me for fucks sake.

• Upvote 1

"This Means More"

I was genuinely thrilled by that video. It pulled at my heartstrings.

At the moment, it just sounds like a corporate mission statement, and as someone who has been made redundant 3 times from big companies who had mission statements, I know they mean Fuck All.

I am genuinely sick at this. Please, LFC, you are better than this. Knock this fucking shit off, right now.

36 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Obviously. Because the club's on its knees. These employees are a major financial drain. And firing them and rehiring them (or replacements) in three months makes huge financial sense.

Two questions.

1. How do the club get income?

2. Do the club have running costs?

1 hour ago, John102 said:

I see City have chosen today to announce they wont be doing the same as us.

The ongoing battle between the clubs continues.

Instead they are having to deal with one of their players hosting a party with sex workers.

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Didn't he film his ex getting licked out by her dog as well? 

He denied it was him apparently and said the girl in the video wasn't his girlfriend.

33 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

He denied it was him apparently and said the girl in the video wasn't his girlfriend.

She was fit as well. Someone posted her Facebook pics on twitter. Absolute belter to be fair. But clearly a dirty bastard and it was defo him. 

2 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of players salaries are it's a bit fucking rich of Hancock to be whining about it when his fucking party has been slashing the NHS budget at every opportunity for years

And loads of them let companies get away with paying no tax, including ones that some MPs are involved with.

Anfield public cash grab an insult to Shankly’s legacy — and Klopp

Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer
Sunday April 05 2020, 6.00pm, The Times

The final words on the 100th and closing page of the match programme for Liverpool’s last game before lockdown, Atletico Madrid’s visit in the Champions League on March 11, read simply: “We are Liverpool. This means more.” If you proclaim values superior to other clubs, and boast self-entitled credos such as this, you have to live by them. If you then claim state help after posting £42 million profits and spending £43.8 million on agents’ fees in a year, you deserve to be excoriated.

In claiming furlough for many staff, Liverpool’s board, including the owner John W Henry and chairman Tom Werner, have acted with naked capitalism, offending the spirit of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and insulting the legacy of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley, the conscience of their supporters, and the beliefs of a squad led by the admirable Jordan Henderson and their enlightened manager, Jürgen Klopp.

When Henry and Werner phoned Klopp after the victory over Barcelona last season, they congratulated him on his “inspired leadership”. Klopp exudes moral substance, leadership, setting the right example. Even more, this is the time for leadership, for people to stand up and be counted, and Klopp’s videos filled with perspective and compassion lift the mood of many. Klopp shows class. Henry and Werner show merely self-interest. They have agreed to guarantee salaries, and good on them for that, yet still pursue a payout from the public purse.

This is Anfield. This is supposed to be better. This undoes much of the good work Liverpool have done in responding to coronavirus, staff and fans phoning the vulnerable, checking up on them during the pandemic, the generosity of players in underwriting local food banks, and the chief executive, Peter Moore, a long-term benefactor of those food banks, offering the club’s stewards to local supermarkets to help with “queue management, parking control, assisting the elderly and infirm, taking their groceries to their cars”. People at Liverpool do care.

Do Henry and Werner? “This means more” smacks of marketing-speak, of the brand money-spinning under Henry and Werner, and has instantly been a target of ridicule from rival fans, yet there remains a community feel at the heart of Liverpool. This is the club with a strong foundation, and with individuals of the right moral compass of Klopp and Henderson, James Milner and Sadio Mané, Virgil van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold, among others.

This is the club of Sir Kenny Dalglish, that very human emblem of thinking first of others during a crisis. Henry and Werner give the impression of just thinking of the bottom line. This is not to pit Liverpool individuals against each other, simply to remind Henry and Werner of the special people who congregate in and around Anfield, and not to embarrass them with crass grabs for public cash. Furloughing? This means money for Henry and Werner. They need to think again.

Liverpool fans have responded impressively, absolutely calling out Henry and Werner. To tweak a Kop banner: Wine for my men, we deride at dawn. They have joined the unhappy, uneasy followers of other clubs chasing government payouts during a state of national emergency, those of Tottenham Hotspur, Norwich City, Bournemouth and Newcastle United. Rishi Sunak’s vital scheme should not be used to protect profits, but to help the more vulnerable businesses weather the storm.

Even if the recourse to handouts should not be afforded to such a broadcast-rich, prudence-poor realm as the Premier League, there has to be a measure of sympathy for clubs juggling such tight turnovers as Norwich and Bournemouth. There cannot be an ounce of understanding for others, though. The harsh light of emergency sirens really pick out the true nature of some of those in power now. Do Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley join in the emotional applause on Thursdays at 8pm for the heroes of the NHS? Probably. Do they also instruct their companies to tap into the Exchequer’s funds? Definitely.

Spurs supporters rightly slate Levy, their chairman, for fancying some furlough. Newcastle fans continue to despair about the cynical, soulless stewardship of Ashley, whose unappealing nature was demonstrated by his (brief) decision to keep his trackies-and-trainers stores open during the lockdown. Hope is at hand on Tyneside with two separate parties, Amanda Staveley’s via Saudi Arabia and Peter Kenyon’s via the US, both interested in a takeover. The money is there, just do it, liberate the Gallowgate.

When football resumes, there will be a day of reckoning with owners, with those who stood by clubs, community and country properly and those who simply revealed themselves to be disciples of the creed of greed. Manchester City’s chief operating officer, Omar Berrada, confirmed the board’s decision that the club “will not be utilising the UK government’s coronavirus job retention scheme”. Good.

As well as the reputational damage, the battering of the brand, the financial reimbursement that Henry and Werner’s business operation will receive is relatively modest anyway, certainly not worth all the grief. If it is 200 employees for three months at a cost to the Exchequer of £2,500 a month (the chancellor’s threshold) that makes £1.5 million. Liverpool paid almost 30 times that in agents’ fees last season (£43.8 million).

The cost to Liverpool will also be there in the intensifying tribal digs in tweets and chants, a barb that Kopites know they can hardly repel easily. This means more? Well, only until they need more money.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the last bit. Dealing with the barbs from supporters of other clubs is a breeze. Why should we care for the good opinion of those who have spent months shrieking about the club being the beneficiaries of corruption at all levels, and welcome a plague as a means to deny Liverpool the title? I care about how the clubs behaves because I care about the club. A few more debacles like this, I'm going to stop caring.

• Upvote 2