You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Guest San Don
Villas Boas led Porto to an undefeated 2010-2011 season in Primeira Liga, winning four trophies and becoming the youngest manager ever to win a European title in the process.

Rodgers has two years non-descript PL experience behind him and has won nothing.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion...........

In Portugal as manager of the main club (bit like gollum at manchester, eh?). He was sacked at chelshit after 6 months wasnt it?

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.........

In Portugal as manager of the main club (bit like gollum at manchester, eh?). He was sacked at chelshit after 6 months wasnt it?

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.........

He won the CL! Is gollum going to do that?

Rodgers was reserve team manager at Chelsea, Villas Boas the first team manager;)

Villas-Boas lead Porto them to an undefeated season in the Primeira Liga - only the second time this had ever been achieved - winning the title by more than 20 points, having conceded only 13 goals all season. He went on to follow up this success by leading Porto to win both the Portuguese Cup and the UEFA Europa League, thus completing a treble in his first season in charge. By doing so, Villas-Boas became the third-youngest coach ever to win the Primeira Liga (behind Mihály Siska in 1939 and Juca in 1962) and the youngest manager ever to win a European competition, at the age of 33 years and 213 days.

Not only am I entitled to my opinion, I am right.:P

We have signed players.

Wanyama is shit.

Caulker not so.

Michu is the type of player we have been looking to sign. And we potentially have in Aspas and Alberto.

They were just named off the too of my head that I think would improve our first 11 and not cost lots.

I think Michu had 17 goals in la liga from midfield I don't know what Aspas record is but doubt it as good as that.

I'm not writing Aspas off but just think we need more than him to move up to the next level which is what we all want

Are spurs attracting top players? Sure they just signed that soldado or whatever, I think it's debateable. But the likely cause is London is more metropolitan than Liverpool.

As regards manager, I dont think villas boas is a bigger name than rodgers just yet when you weigh the respective clubs up.

I think they have two too quality players in soldado and paulinho, I don't know with the metropolitan thing look at city and scum! I think there chairman is not ambitious than ours at the moment.

And I'm not sayin AVB is better than Rodgers just that he has more a worldwide pull than Rodgers.

I wonder how many people outside UK know Rodgers compared to AVB.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Firstly, nobody ever said cups don't matter, secondly I'm far from convinced those quotes are real, and finally, of course they want to win things, but at this stage in our development it's vitally important that we can attract top players.

At this stage in our development it's vitally important that we can attract top players.

I disagree, we will struggle out of Europe, and for other well documented reasons.

What is vital is that we have a scouting team who can attract players who will come good, who the rest have either overlooked or who have been ruled out and that we have a manager who can get extraordinary performances from ordinary players.Players who are graeful for the chance.

We need a manager in the Clough at Derby or Wilkinson in his title year at Leeds mould who has a football judgement to outwit those who should be doing better .

If we wait pining to sign the Mkhitaryans and costas of this world we will have a long wait. We need to emulate Lambert's signing of Benteke,and Laudrup's signing of Michu, or to take a chance as Rafa did with Masch when he was at West Ham. we cannot compete for the big ticket stuff.

Will Borini, Allen, Toure,Alberto, Mignolet and Aspas come good? Rodger's career will be defined by it.Kenny's profligacy still haunts us, let us hope that Rodger's judgement is as good as his champions believe.

Firstly, nobody ever said cups don't matter, secondly I'm far from convinced those quotes are real, and finally, of course they want to win things, but at this stage in our development it's vitally important that we can attract top players.

I don't think they are myself to be honest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I disagree

Well, that's just going to have to be another one of the many things we disagree on, mate. I think it's more vital now than at almost any point in recent history that we get more quality players into the side. To attract them, we need top level football.

Developing is all very good, and I totally agree with that approach in the long term. Unfortunately, we've been out of the CL for four years, soon to be five, and that's becoming a dangerous thing. If we don't buck this trend sooner rather than later, we're going to be in trouble.

I'm happy with the amount spent, until before this window, but we've not got the quality those amounts deserved.

Well, that's just going to have to be another one of the many things we disagree on, mate. I think it's more vital now than at almost any point in recent history that we get more quality players into the side. To attract them, we need top level football.

Developing is all very good, and I totally agree with that approach in the long term. Unfortunately, we've been out of the CL for four years, soon to be five, and that's becoming a dangerous thing. If we don't buck this trend sooner rather than later, we're going to be in trouble.

I'm happy with the amount spent, until before this window, but we've not got the quality those amounts deserved.

Are we disagreeing?

"Quality" comes in many shapes and sizes. Several of Man utds squad have PL winners medals who individually, few would welcome to Anfield, but who as part of a team Whiskeynose made work.

My point is that we simply cannot compete for the best- those days have gone. We can be smarter - if Rodgers and Ayre are good enough. It is that caveat that I suspect is where we disagree.

We agree that KK spent unwisely,the buys offering poor value, but that was no surprise given the length of time he had been out of the game.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nah, not the best. The very best, anyway. But if Spurs can get Soldado, why can't we? There must be other players of that quality around. I gave a list of players before the window. It's just demoralising at the minute. I think Costa not joining was an eye opener for me. Fucking Costa. What next? £20m bid for Carlton Cole accepted but the player turns us down?

Gah.

I thought they were dodgy at first but there is a load of stuff in Norwegian and a website unless it has been mistranslated. I guess we need a Norwegian to confirm if they are real.

I can confirm the actual quotes as I saw the interview on Norwegian tv, NRK.

The stuff about the FA+League cup was not in the interview they aired.

The quote about winning the league was in there.

Henry was a cool customer in the interview which was conducted at the American embassy in Oslo.

Nah, not the best. The very best, anyway. But if Spurs can get Soldado, why can't we? There must be other players of that quality around. I gave a list of players before the window. It's just demoralising at the minute. I think Costa not joining was an eye opener for me. Fucking Costa. What next? £20m bid for Carlton Cole accepted but the player turns us down?

Without CL football, a realistic prospect of a title challenge and a manager credible in international football we stand no chance of recruitng the very best.

Soldado? No European football, no Villas Boas, no London.

I know you think that the Rodgers/Ayre combination is a world beater- I do not.

Guest San Don
I think they have two too quality players in soldado and paulinho, I don't know with the metropolitan thing look at city and scum! I think there chairman is not ambitious than ours at the moment.

And I'm not sayin AVB is better than Rodgers just that he has more a worldwide pull than Rodgers.

I wonder how many people outside UK know Rodgers compared to AVB.

city are \ were paying massive wages to players to get them on board. So massive we couldnt compete on that level. They are about to have their 3rd (?) season in the CL. Massive wages and CL football. How many players would turn that down?

umited are champions more often than not. They regularly get to the latter stages of the CL. They dont have to pay the massive wages city do. In other words, they have pulling power of being regular champions and reaching the latter stages of the CL.

We cant compete with that either.

Take away city's massive wages and CL and make united a mid table team with no CL football. Do you still seriously think those two clubs would continue to attract the top players?

He won the CL! Is gollum going to do that?

Rodgers was reserve team manager at Chelsea, Villas Boas the first team manager;)

Villas-Boas lead Porto them to an undefeated season in the Primeira Liga - only the second time this had ever been achieved - winning the title by more than 20 points, having conceded only 13 goals all season. He went on to follow up this success by leading Porto to win both the Portuguese Cup and the UEFA Europa League, thus completing a treble in his first season in charge. By doing so, Villas-Boas became the third-youngest coach ever to win the Primeira Liga (behind Mihály Siska in 1939 and Juca in 1962) and the youngest manager ever to win a European competition, at the age of 33 years and 213 days.

Not only am I entitled to my opinion, I am right.:P

I wouldnt even argue with him, it makes no sense.

Rodgers couldnt even get players who had played for him, like Siggurdson to come here, whereas Villas Boas and Spurs are light years ahead of us right now.

They just missed out on a CL place and although it hasnt been noticed, they have strengthened significantly, whereas we have improved slightly if not stayed the same.

They were just named off the too of my head that I think would improve our first 11 and not cost lots.

I think Michu had 17 goals in la liga from midfield I don't know what Aspas record is but doubt it as good as that.

I'm not writing Aspas off but just think we need more than him to move up to the next level which is what we all want

Agree that we need more but I think if Aspas was given the role Michu has he'd be just as good. Obviously if we sign no one else for the RW or ST positions then he'll probably be given a chance to prove that albeit not as the out and out focal point of attack (Sturridge gets that job at least until Suarez gets back onside). If we do sign someone more proven then Aspas will be a squad player so won't get the chance.

Perhaps it's down to being on here so much lately but I have to say that I agree with the opinion that we won't be bringing in anyone else this window besides maybe a leftback (Cissokho or Siquiera looking the most likely). I had hope for signing Papadopolous and maybe even Eriksen but it's gone very quiet with both lately and I'm not really convinced we were ever actually in for Eriksen.

I wouldnt even argue with him, it makes no sense.

Rodgers couldnt even get players who had played for him, like Siggurdson to come here, whereas Villas Boas and Spurs are light years ahead of us right now.

They just missed out on a CL place and although it hasnt been noticed, they have strengthened significantly, whereas we have improved slightly if not stayed the same.

Rodgers couldn't get players who had played for him? Who is Joe Allen? Fabio Borini? He's been criticised for signing only players he knows now he's getting criticised for not. He said at the time he had an agreement for Siggurdson and Spurs came in and offered more money, Rodgers knew his worth and didn't want to go above it. He isn't exactly flying at Spurs is he so it was probably a good decision.

They are hardly light years ahead. They've paid big money for players that could easily flop. Let's see what happens if Bale goes. There were plenty of negative murmurs about AVB early on last season. Without Bale he could easily no longer be manager there now.

They actually played 2 full seasons with each other at Celta Vigo in the Segunda.

Michu played 63 and scored 13, Aspas played 64 and scored 9.

Michu is a bit older and had quite a lot more experience at that point though, and Aspas followed that up with scoring 23 the next season.