You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

I know this has been discussed since what I posted, but the relevance of those teams is that they are or have punched above their weight, perhaps in their own league, perhaps in Europe. And its not about copying anyone, as the teams I mentioned have done it differently themselves, they are just examples of teams who have been smart.

So Dortmund may well have it easier in their league, but their team cost somewhere south of £50m to assemble I beleive (prior to this season), so apart from the guys who have come from their youth academy, I don't see how them being in a league with a different structure stopped us signing the players that were good enough to get them into the Champs League final did for the money they did?

I know where you are coming from and on the surface it seems reasonable, and it seems FSG are trying to do things in this way. I just wonder how possible it is. In the end we have to finish 4th or higher in the PL. Young English players are not an option as it seems clear that the German youth program is miles ahead of the English program. Dortmund have used mostly products of that program to succeed.

So if we want value we must identify young foreign players and convince them to come play for us in the PL which is hard work and riskier than how Dortmund have built the team.

Dortmund had great success in the CL last year but in the end it is a cup tournament and sometimes luck can have an effect. Make no mistake they're a good team but where would they finish if they had to grind out 38 games in the PL? Even more to the point if you split the best players of Dortmund up amongst 7 or 8 PL teams would they be as effective as they were in the Bundesliga?

The problem with punching above your weight is that you are in essence going against the odds and eventually the odds will catch up.

Dortmund had great success in the CL last year but in the end it is a cup tournament and sometimes luck can have an effect. Make no mistake they're a good team but where would they finish if they had to grind out 38 games in the PL?

Well, they would only have to play Stoke away once. And it may not even be wet. Or a Tuesday night.

I know where you are coming from and on the surface it seems reasonable, and it seems FSG are trying to do things in this way. I just wonder how possible it is. In the end we have to finish 4th or higher in the PL. Young English players are not an option as it seems clear that the German youth program is miles ahead of the English program. Dortmund have used mostly products of that program to succeed.

So if we want value we must identify young foreign players and convince them to come play for us in the PL which is hard work and riskier than how Dortmund have built the team.

Dortmund had great success in the CL last year but in the end it is a cup tournament and sometimes luck can have an effect. Make no mistake they're a good team but where would they finish if they had to grind out 38 games in the PL? Even more to the point if you split the best players of Dortmund up amongst 7 or 8 PL teams would they be as effective as they were in the Bundesliga?

The problem with punching above your weight is that you are in essence going against the odds and eventually the odds will catch up.

Well,they did win the league twice in the last three years and then went to the CL final. I'd settle for that right now!!

As for punching above our weight, that is all we can do. We wont outspend City or Chelsea so that is what we are left with and that is fine with me. To use the Dortmund analogy, it worked for them, whether it will continue to do so we will see. In fact, their one attempt to 'out-Bayern Bayern` ended with them almost going to the wall.

I can only assume Henry thinks there will be more interest in Suarez from the likes of Madrid. Turning down £40m in such a way is pretty bold. I hope we're on top of this. I just wonder why Suarez wants to speak to Arsenal. Trying to smoke out other suitors? Or is he really serious about it? I honestly can't see them paying more than 40. It'snot in the club's style. And what's with this weird contract Suarez has? He can speak to them but we don't have to accept the offer?

Guest San Don
I can only assume Henry thinks there will be more interest in Suarez from the likes of Madrid. Turning down £40m in such a way is pretty bold. I hope we're on top of this. I just wonder why Suarez wants to speak to Arsenal. Trying to smoke out other suitors? Or is he really serious about it? I honestly can't see them paying more than 40. It'snot in the club's style. And what's with this weird contract Suarez has? He can speak to them but we don't have to accept the offer?

Beats me why people think this is an attempt to smoke out real. I dont think anyone seriously believes that, do they!?

I have FSG on a score of 3.5/10 at the moment. They started on a neutral 5/10 on the TKownerometer. Deduct half a point for failing on the stadium (this will become a whole point soon due to procrastination). Deduct half a point for failing to back Kenny in the January transfer market. Deduct another half for sacking him after reaching two cup finals in his first season and winning one. Deduct half a point for failing to back Rodgers and their part in the fuck up with Clint Dempsey.

Add half a point for not being as bad as the last lot and bringing in some good commercial deals, e.g. Warrior.

Mostly negatives so far.

I have FSG on a score of 3.5/10 at the moment. They started on a neutral 5/10 on the TKownerometer. Deduct half a point for failing on the stadium (this will become a whole point soon due to procrastination). Deduct half a point for failing to back Kenny in the January transfer market. Deduct another half for sacking him after reaching two cup finals in his first season and winning one. Deduct half a point for failing to back Rodgers and their part in the fuck up with Clint Dempsey.

Add half a point for not being as bad as the last lot and bringing in some good commercial deals, e.g. Warrior.

Mostly negatives so far.

A fair assessment in full.

They go down to 0.00001/10 if we accept a bid of less than £285 billion from Arsenal for Suarez.

Mostly negatives so far.

You didn't deduct any points for the "World Class CEO hunt" fiasco which resulted in promoting Ian Ayre to the CEO position, the Jen Chang threat on Duncan Jenkins fiasco, the way they handled the Media war against Suarez and Kenny.

They get 0/10 from me. They are the worst in the league.

Edited by Nightcat

It's true - they argued there was no value in the January market, then sanctioned the coutinho and sturridge deals 12 months later.

Anyway, even if i concede that half point they're still on a pretty poor 4/10.

They sanctioned 35 fucking million for Andy fucking Carroll the January before that. Anyone would be scarred by that.

The idea that Kenny was not backed in the transfer market is one of the biggest perpetuated myths out there.

He was, it was just (almost) all wasted.

The past matters little as far as I'm concerned. I think they've made some fuck ups, I think they've done some great things.

It's a huge test for them now though in terms of what they are willing to do.

Some people will lose a lot of faith if we sell Suarez to Arsenal. Me personally, I'll be fucking enraged but I won't blame FSG, I'll blame Suarez for being a cock.

What I will blame FSG for though is if Suarez goes and that money isn't reinvested alongside the 20 odd million we should have anyway. We've a full month to go.

If Suarez is gone before the end of July the money should be made available. And if it is and Rodger's and the Scouts balls up then fair enough its on them. But the money needs to be reinvested without any dicking around.

They sanctioned 35 fucking million for Andy fucking Carroll the January before that. Anyone would be scarred by that.

The idea that Kenny was not backed in the transfer market is one of the biggest perpetuated myths out there.

He was, it was just (almost) all wasted.

Not in January 2012 they didn't. They sat on their hands and muttered something about bad value whilst pondering on who should replace Kenny come May.

I dont think we've really improved overall. I count all games as important. Not just league. Having Gerrard fit for 90% of season helped too.

Of course we've improved, on the pitch. You'd have to be blind or blinkered to think otherwise.

Of course we've improved, on the pitch. You'd have to be blind or blinkered to think otherwise.

Is our win percentage in all games not about the same? We were close enough to 4th when Suarez got stitched up with help from FSG and Ayre's incompetence.

Mostly negatives so far.

They have gone MIA at key times transfer wise, but they deserve credit for funding as much transfer business as they have given the lack of CL revenue. That merits more than a paltry 0.5. +1 for me.

And kit designs to monetize the asian market. 60 new retail outlets in Indonesia last week. They are at least following though on that part of their promise. +1 for me.

So that brings them up to -2 on my scale. :P

They have gone MIA at key times transfer wise, but they deserve credit for funding as much transfer business as they have given the lack of CL revenue. That merits more than a paltry 0.5. +1 for me.

And kit designs to monetize the asian market. 60 new retail outlets in Indonesia last week. They are at least following though on that part of their promise. +1 for me.

So that brings them up to -2 on my scale. :P

They've only put in what we've made on sales and saved on wages. We'd be buggered without the money from Torres et al, I reckon. Similar pattern this summer - no major spunking of funds until Suarez goes. I'm not giving them credit for that but it's still better than the last lot.