You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

Totally retarded statement, with no facts.

He won the Italian Super Cup and the World Club championship. He lost the European Super Cup though

Inter were 10 points off the top with 2 games in hand (due to World Club Championship). Inter lost 4, while Milan (eventual champions) lost 3. HARDLY off the pace in Jan.

Its simple. He was promised money to refresh an aging squad which Mourinho miraculously won the treble (the year before everyone was saying the squad was on its last legs). An aging squad is an aging squad.

They've won nothing since, and it can hardly be blamed on Rafa when he wasn't allowed to buy anyone or sell anyone. Its the same squad that failed.

A bit like Rafa miraculously winning the Champions League with Geds team isn't it?

Fair enough. The dummyspittingoutness was entirely justified here and at Inter, in my humble opinion. Working under the two spastics here I'd have been far more pissed off if he'd have kept schtum. At Inter they pulled the plug on spending, so I can fully understand his back me or sack me stance.

Managers cannot have it both ways -if you want a £4m a year salary you have to have £4m a year qualities. Handling the team is one aspect, handling the Board is just as important.

Rafa chose to sign a new generous five year contract with a G&H Board whom he knew well. They were "buying" him. He chose to take it. Then he acted surprised that G&H were...........G&H. That was pretty foolish. And choosing to behave in such a way that he got the sack, when if he had kept his head down he would have been under new owners within five months was pretty foolish too.

At Inter? He was arguing with the Board before the transfer window had even opened! If he had a case, and he may well have, you argue that skilfully in the Boardroom (which he cannot do), trying to put pressure on the Board by politicking in the press ( which he did to provoke the Klinsmann affair) was a gambit he was always going to lose in Italy.

Rafa is a great football manager - and a lousy power broker.

What I don't think some mongs here realise is that Rafa is the reason we got rid of H&G

Yes, there was damn alot of conflict in the final year.

But ultimately, whether it was ultimately brinkmanship or really the team was too effected by the conflict, by getting 7th place, we could get rid of H&G.

Remember, it wasn't that FSG bought over the club. Its that H&G could not service the loan and was forced to sell at a low price to FSG.

If Rafa achieved 4th place minimum, with Champs League money, H&G would have been able to convince the bank or court that they could service the loan, and we would still be with them today.

Of course, if he DID lose purposely, there is no way Rafa can admit this. One, it would be unprofessional of him in the eyes of prospective buyers, and two he ultimately saved the club at his own expense.

The way some of the mongs here argue, it is as if Rafa would live harmoniously with H&G, things would have been perfect. "he's stubborn", "he causes conflict"

HE SAVED OUR CLUB!

He was the only world class part of our club for a long time now. He waged war on our behalf, and still managed to make us a team feared home and abroad.

Ultimately manager after manager will prove that he was the special one. Not our club, not our players.

Thats what Valencia have found out many years since. They have since bought class players. They have since changed manager after manager. What they have never recovered is their dominant style nor trophies.

You have some fucking stones calling the rest of us mongs.

It really is 'Rafa FC' to some people. Absolutely fucking barking.

He won the Italian Super Cup and the World Club championship. He lost the European Super Cup though

Inter were 10 points off the top with 2 games in hand (due to World Club Championship). Inter lost 4, while Milan (eventual champions) lost 3. HARDLY off the pace in Jan.

Its simple. He was promised money to refresh an aging squad which Mourinho miraculously won the treble (the year before everyone was saying the squad was on its last legs). An aging squad is an aging squad.

They've won nothing since, and it can hardly be blamed on Rafa when he wasn't allowed to buy anyone or sell anyone. Its the same squad that failed.

The problem with people like you is that NOTHING can be blamed on Rafa.

What I don't think some mongs here realise is that Rafa is the reason we got rid of H&G.

I thought that it was Rafa who helped G&H get extended finance by signing a new five year deal thereby keeping them in office? Agreeing to work for them and pledging your support for five years to them is hardly geting rid of G&H is it?

I thought it was Broughton who got rid of G&H?

Fuckin hells bollocks, for fucks sake can we just fucking move on from Rafa Benitez, was he good for us ? Of course, and he was screwed over, but he made mistakes, he is accountable but he is NOT going to be LFC manager.

Its getting to the point that its just plain fucking embarrasing.

Let him go, move on, get over it, its done to fucking death and back.

Fuckin hells bollocks, for fucks sake can we just fucking move on from Rafa Benitez, was he good for us ? Of course, and he was screwed over, but he made mistakes, he is accountable but he is NOT going to be LFC manager.

Its getting to the point that its just plain fucking embarrasing.

Let him go, move on, get over it, its done to fucking death and back.

We could but everytime something goes wrong at our club it'd be because we didn't keep Rafa.

I thought that it was Rafa who helped G&H get extended finance by signing a new five year deal thereby keeping them in office? Agreeing to work for them and pledging your support for five years to them is hardly geting rid of G&H is it?

He did not help them get extended finance that is just fucking ridiculous.

Purslow was all ready at the club trying to oust the fuckers.

No it was Rafa. He shouted at the big mean men and they left.

He did not help them get extended finance that is just fucking ridiculous.Purslow was all ready at the club trying to oust the fuckers.

Did Rafa signing a long term deal help, or hinder G&H?

If Rafa had refused to sign a new contract, and endorse G&H's ownership, would the uncertainty that would have created on the pitch, adding to that off it, encouraged, or discouraged RBS from giving them an extension?

Did Rafa signing a long term deal help, or hinder G&H?

If Rafa had refused to sign a new contract, and endorse G&H's ownership, would the uncertainty that would have created on the pitch, adding to that off it, encouraged, or discouraged RBS from giving them an extension?

No.

It really is as simple as that.

It's only now I realize why some people are so touchy when I say anything positive about Benitez. The hysterical behaviour of this Rafa-cult the last couple of weeks is mind-blowing. I never knew the obsession was so deep and wide-spread.

Managers cannot have it both ways -if you want a £4m a year salary you have to have £4m a year qualities. Handling the team is one aspect, handling the Board is just as important.

Rafa chose to sign a new generous five year contract with a G&H Board whom he knew well. They were "buying" him. He chose to take it. Then he acted surprised that G&H were...........G&H. That was pretty foolish. And choosing to behave in such a way that he got the sack, when if he had kept his head down he would have been under new owners within five months was pretty foolish too.

At Inter? He was arguing with the Board before the transfer window had even opened! If he had a case, and he may well have, you argue that skilfully in the Boardroom (which he cannot do), trying to put pressure on the Board by politicking in the press ( which he did to provoke the Klinsmann affair) was a gambit he was always going to lose in Italy.

Rafa is a great football manager - and a lousy power broker.

Your obsession with manager's salaries is baffling. As I said before, I'd have been more pissed off had he kept quiet. No-one could have put a realistic timeframe on when we were going to get new owners. It happened to be five months. It could have been 15.

Moratti, realising how old his squad was, realising how high the wage bill was, pulled the plug on spending. Now maybe Rafa knew this, I'm sure he will have done to some extent. But the expectations were that of treble winners, just look at some of the comments in this thread from the clueless mongs. Very few people are interested in context. So what is the manager's choice? Ask for the resources required to fulfil the club's expectations/ambitions, or leave.

If a manager is surrounded by utter cunts expect some politicking. Leave him to do his job, and he'll do his job.

I rest my case.

Rafa, whose footballing record I have enormous respect for, signed up to support the G&H regime, not declined to re-sign in protest. As you say, it is as simple as that.

Then so did Steven Gerrard.

And so did every Liverpool player who signed a contract.

It's an utterly, utterly ridiculous argument.

It's only now I realize why some people are so touchy when I say anything positive about Benitez. The hysterical behaviour of this Rafa-cult the last couple of weeks is mind-blowing. I never knew the obsession was so deep and wide-spread.

You know there's a thread in which I think you've posted in suggesting Benitez leave the area.

That is far worse than anything on here.

It goes both ways.

The problem with people like you is that NOTHING can be blamed on Rafa.

Lets see.... a manager who actually wants to win stuff. How anti-Liverpool is that eh?

Show me what you can blame Rafa for, and show me why you think whatever it is, he didn't do it with intention to create a winning side

I see a manage who tried his best, came close but short, due to incompetence and lack of support from the top.

Rafa tried to play nice. He signed the contract and we went on to the craziest scoring streak in recent memory. He was also promised funds to buy better players.

However, we came short by 4 points, the owners thought "hey thats good enough", and the whole thing went to bits

As the manager, he's damned if he does (qualify and keep the fuckers in business), and damned if he doesn't (not qualify and lose his job)

Broughton et all wouldn't be able to do jack shit if we qualified for the CL. We would be able to convince the bank, based on previous years doing well in the CL under Rafa, that they would be able to pay the loan.

Then so did Steven Gerrard.And so did every Liverpool player who signed a contract.It's an utterly, utterly ridiculous argument.

Yours is the ridiculous one.

Gerrard, and others, took the money as players- and played.

My point is that "Rafa the Rebel" is a myth.Rafa signed a lucrative long term deal to work for and support G&H- he didn't have to.

If he had wanted to put pressure on G&H he could have said that he would look at a new deal when he had seen G&H honour their promises.Instead, knowing full well what a band of shysters they were he said - more money? Thanks!

Rafa was a brilliant manager who made us number 1 in Europe, taking us to 2 European Cup Finals, winning 1 of them. He also made some fucking stupid mistakes too and by the last year was no longer a manager but a politician. We are now onto our 4th manager after him, so maybe it’s time to shut the fuck up and stop trying to make him perfect or totally useless.

The “Black or White” people on both sides are just fucking boring. Fuck off and get a fucking life, and while you're doing it, try and learn about the greyness of life and the bit in the middle where people can actually have been both excellant and shit at times.

I think we're all missing the point. That Benitaur loon suggested that Rafa purposefully lost games because he didn't want Gillett and Hicks to get the Champions League money. I mean that is barking conspiracy shit of the very highest order.

I think we're all missing the point. That Benitaur loon suggested that Rafa purposefully lost games because he didn't want Gillett and Hicks to get the Champions League money. I mean that is barking conspiracy shit of the very highest order.

Some of our own fans from the “Other side” of the divide suggested Benitez was losing games in his last season so he would get sacked and get the big pay off. I probably don’t need to tell you the creator of that beauty, but it was the same people who only a short time later was moaning about how Rafa was causing mayhem by telling everyone he wanted his job back.

But yes, both sides at this level are beyond stupid and into the lands of spackerdom.

But yes, both sides at this level are beyond stupid and into the lands of spackerdom.

Extremists from all sides in all aspects of life are more similar than they'll ever admit.

I find it equally hilarious that absolutely nothing of all the things that went wrong during his reign was his fault and that he essentially won CL with Ged's team and took the club backwards after 2006. Which basically makes this thread eye-aids.

It really is insane. Then again, I've seen suggestions Kenny was fired because the owners were afraid he'd be grumpy on the US tour, and that hiring Rodgers is part of their master plan to cement our place in midtable.

Actually, he fucking did.

How did he fuck up? Other than trusting Moratti, of course.

That's pretty much it. Moratti and Inter had their moment largely due to the scandal in Italian football. Moratti decided not to invest to keep it going, and the result is there for everyone to see.