You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

Is the right answer, but if we start the season without Rafa in charge, we will have a 80% - 20% split in fans backing Roberto (or AVB or even Rodgers).

I'd be disappointed if 20% of our fans refused to back a new manager without a ball being kicked. That's a bullshit attitude to take.

Whoever the new manager, he deserves a chance to actually do something before being judged, one way or the other.

I'd be disappointed if 20% of our fans refused to back a new manager without a ball being kicked. That's a bullshit attitude to take.

Whoever the new manager, he deserves a chance to actually do something before being judged, one way or the other.

Sadly, the club will be riven by division whoever we go with.

Sadly, the club will be riven by division whoever we go with.

That's the problem with the current way the club seems happy to allow everything to play out through the media rather than having a plan and sorting everything discreetly behind closed doors. It gives everyone the chance to form opinions. Ill informed or not.

I would love to see Rafa back as manager ,dumb and dumber fucked us good and prop we all know that the season we finished second the backing should have been in place for him to bring in 2 top quality players. But FSG wont bring Rafa back he asks questions.

In normal business this would be a no brainer, Benitez all the way. Then again, I have no experience as a hedge fund manager, so what do I know about how the present owners think.

It is counterproductive not to interview Benitez, you simply have to look at all options in our situation. No matter the history or the name.

In normal business this would be a no brainer, Benitez all the way. Then again, I have no experience as a hedge fund manager, so what do I know about how the present owners think.

Not so sure, if you have something that is out of control the last thing you do is introduce an element you can't control.

Not so sure, if you have something that is out of control the last thing you do is introduce an element you can't control.

Benitez is a known entity and not a risk. We are not out of control, either, right now. An interview would make sense from a business point of view.

On the pitch we need a manager with a vision for the club, the way we play, what we stand for. And enrgy and single mindedness to carry it through. Guardiola would be the first choice. Chances are that he is not coming here, I guess. Then you have people like Benitez, Van Gaal, Villas Boas, Mourinho, Bielsa, passionate about what they do and they always think they are right. Which is what we need, not yes men.

Benitez is a known entity and not a risk.

The risk, for FSG, IS that Rafa is a known entity.

Falling out with three successive Boards is his problem.

Managers are multi-million pound senior executives, and they have to unite, not divide. It is Rafa's Achillies heel.

Managers are multi-million pound senior executives, and they have to unite, not divide. It is Rafa's Achillies heel.

Looking back on the tenure of those boards, you can see why he fell out with them. Shit decision after shit decision, it's little wonder he wanted to control it all himself, everyone was fucking up.

Rafa wouldn't argue with an owner who gives him what he wants. And all he wants are the tools to enable his team to win things and be competitive. If the owners don't enable that then he would feel that everything was pointless, he'd be wasting his time, and he strikes me as a man who hates wasting time and effort.

I'm sure he's not coming back, but he will certainly return to management when the right offer comes along, and he'll win things once more, without a doubt.

If you want to put it that way, I'll raise you a Donald Rumsfeld:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Benitez is a known known. Thus not a risk, as such.

Benitez is a known entity and not a risk. We are not out of control, either, right now. An interview would make sense from a business point of view.

The risk is the minute it becomes obvious that business > football, he will go apeshit. As he does.

On the pitch we need a manager with a vision for the club, the way we play, what we stand for. And enrgy and single mindedness to carry it through. Guardiola would be the first choice. Chances are that he is not coming here, I guess. Then you have people like Benitez, Van Gaal, Villas Boas, Mourinho, Bielsa, passionate about what they do and they always think they are right. Which is what we need, not yes men.

This is what we need for winning. It's not what FSG need for brand leveraging.

The risk is the minute it becomes obvious that business > football, he will go apeshit. As he does.

This is what we need for winning. It's not what FSG need for brand leveraging.

He went "apeshit" because the business side was not up to snuff with the football side. IMO he would thrive in the current setup.

Name one instance where a loser was brand leveraged.

He went "apeshit" because the business side was not up to snuff with the football side. IMO he would thrive in the current setup.

And by design this lot will not be up to snuff.

Name one instance where a loser was brand leveraged.

Name one instance where a club is owned by an ex-hedge fund manager heading up a investment consortium whose "eyes only lit up when peripheral opportunities were identified".

Boring boring Benitez. Almost as boring as Hodgson.

His intention was to get the team playing more attacking type of football on his last year, but that´s when the wheels started to come off from his wagon. Attacking football is an unknown territory for him, that´s why he failed. Nothing to do with cancer and aids. I repeat, nothing.

Hopefully he is not coming back, although I could accept him as Sporting Director or sorts, taking care of all the age groups etc. He could be good in that role, at least in theory.