You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

I would hazard a guess the reason he wont be coming back to the reason that a ex player said, and who is known to talk to players at the club.

Redknapp said after Rafa had gone about how he had totally lost the dressing room and it was verging on a total downing of tools by the players(in his words).

To be honest you could see it anyway with how players were performing at the time and Remember the look on Gerrards face in one match when Rafa took Rentboy off when we were getting beat.

Then also what Riera said at that time about what was going on.

There was other stuff that was reported at the time if true or not,that players even went to the board and said they would leave if Rafa stayed.

Redknapp would never of come out with that if it wasnt true as we all know he is friends of players here and talks to them.

The other thing is no matter who decided on his sacking,any club matters at the time had to go through Broughton.

He had the power to approve or to stop any matters that were either thought to be in the clubs best interest or seen to be not in the clubs best interest.

If he thought that Rafa going was not in the best interests of the club he would of stopped it.

There was also alot of questions being asked about his use of funds(the times he was given them) towards the end,well mainly his last three big signings being questionable.

If you can count Keane as being his or not the Broken Italian who didnt want to play here and the amount he payed for Glen(which at the time was a lot to pay especially as every fan could see,we needed a another striker or winger).

I still think the worst thing to happen was his fallout with Pako and that is were everything started to go pear shaped for him.

I agree with all of those points but I trust i'll be in the minority.

Rafa received a shocking level of backing, from a financial perspective, towards the end of his reign, but the money he did have was poorly used in large parts, with those examples you've given there.

I would hazard a guess the reason he wont be coming back to the reason that a ex player said, and who is known to talk to players at the club.

Redknapp said after Rafa had gone about how he had totally lost the dressing room and it was verging on a total downing of tools by the players(in his words).

To be honest you could see it anyway with how players were performing at the time and Remember the look on Gerrards face in one match when Rafa took Rentboy off when we were getting beat.

Then also what Riera said at that time about what was going on.

There was other stuff that was reported at the time if true or not,that players even went to the board and said they would leave if Rafa stayed.

Redknapp would never of come out with that if it wasnt true as we all know he is friends of players here and talks to them.

The other thing is no matter who decided on his sacking,any club matters at the time had to go through Broughton.

He had the power to approve or to stop any matters that were either thought to be in the clubs best interest or seen to be not in the clubs best interest.

If he thought that Rafa going was not in the best interests of the club he would of stopped it.

There was also alot of questions being asked about his use of funds(the times he was given them) towards the end,well mainly his last three big signings being questionable.

If you can count Keane as being his or not the Broken Italian who didnt want to play here and the amount he payed for Glen(which at the time was a lot to pay especially as every fan could see,we needed a another striker or winger).

I still think the worst thing to happen was his fallout with Pako and that is were everything started to go pear shaped for him.

Tony Barrett completely refutes that, he has the ear of a number of players. Said it was no different than any other dressing room, some happy some not so happy.

Broughton came out and said , i sacked him basically because the press said it should happen or words to that effect.

Keane was a bad signing which was moved on asap, glen was bought with what rafa thought was the Keane money and had targets for other positions,however glen is one of best in world in his position and was not bad signing.

The infamous gerrad look when rafa took torrrs off on one of his anonymous games and ngog thr player brought on got a chance to win game, it could have gone down as tactical masterstroke like taking gerrad off for Lucas in derby.

Thats the thing with rafa I always had belief in what he done even if it seemed strange because I knew he was an excellent manager and he always had a reason for what he did.

If rafa came in and we didnt hit ground running I think we would give him time as we know he can do whats needed as hes proved it here and at Valencia, if other manager comes in and starts badly fans and players lose belief brcause theres nothing to look at to give hope and we are back to square one next summer looking for new manager.

Fsg need to forget the politics and hire best candidate which is rafa.

• Downvote 1

Keane was a bad signing which was moved on asap, glen was bought with what rafa thought was the Keane money and had targets for other positions,however glen is one of best in world in his position and was not bad signing.

The infamous gerrad look when rafa took torrrs off on one of his anonymous games and ngog thr player brought on got a chance to win game, it could have gone down as tactical masterstroke like taking gerrad off for Lucas in derby.

Thats the thing with rafa I always had belief in what he done even if it seemed strange because I knew he was an excellent manager and he always had a reason for what he did.

If rafa came in and we didnt hit ground running I think we would give him time as we know he can do whats needed as hes proved it here and at Valencia, if other manager comes in and starts badly fans and players lose belief brcause theres nothing to look at to give hope and we are back to square one next summer looking for new manager.

Fsg need to forget the politics and hire best candidate which is rafa.

I agree with what you're saying but I think it would apply to any proven manager, whether that be Rafa, Klopp, or to a lesser extent (do to the chelsea fiasco) AVB.

A less proven manager like Rodgers, Martinez, or Lambert, who've never really done it at a high level would have loads out for him if we didn't hit the ground running.

In short, whilst Rafa and Klopp remain 1a and 1b for me, any manager on or very close to that level would be a good appointment.

The others, well I'd rather not think about that but it would be similar to hodgepodge to me, underwhelming.

Any manager worth his salt won't accept the job on those terms. The coach and DoF need to have a good relationship and be able to work together, which will be the idea i'm sure.

Yep. The manager has the final word on player and price. The DoF takes care of the rest. Like Comolli said, there is no point in bringing in a player the manager doesn't want.

Broughton came out and said , i sacked him basically because the press said it should happen or words to that effect.

Even if this were true - which I doubt - would Broughton admit it publicly?

I could be wrong of course. Do you have the exact quote anywhere?

Even if this were true - which I doubt - would Broughton admit it publicly?

I could be wrong of course. Do you have the exact quote anywhere?

Broughton replied to an email Jim Boardman had sent him about Rafa's departure where Broughton said 'I note your opinion is not shared by the media' or something. Rafa wasn't sacked due to media pressure/influence. He was sacked because he gave Broughton an ultimatum - Purslow or Benitez. Broughton chose to sack Rafa.

Date: 10 June 2010 12:40

Subject: Re: Thank you for killing my club

To: Jim Boardman < >

Jim,

I’m sorry you think like that but you are entitled to your opinion.

I note your opinion doesn’t seem to be shared by the media.

You may also recall that I am Chairman with the principle remit of finding a new and suitable owner for the club. I am nevertheless Chairman and I’m surprised you don’t seem to think that releasing the manager from his contract is a Board matter.

Martin Broughton

Source:

Broughton responds to criticism of Rafa’s departure | Anfield Road

Broughton replied to an email Jim Boardman had sent him about Rafa's departure where Broughton said 'I note your opinion is not shared by the media' or something. Rafa wasn't sacked due to media pressure/influence. He was sacked because he gave Broughton an ultimatum - Purslow or Benitez. Broughton chose to sack Rafa.

I thought the media theory was a little far-fetched.

But you're of the view that Benitez wasn't sacked for footballing reasons but for political ones?

Tony Barrett completely refutes that, he has the ear of a number of players. Said it was no different than any other dressing room, some happy some not so happy.

Your first para is a little contradictory. A losing camp is an unhappy camp,Rafa was distracted with a stupid and futile battle with Purslow. It would have been astonishing if any players were happy, with the club on the market and teetering on Administration with key players eyeing the exit door.

Your second para I have never heard said, or repeated, nor do I believe.

Broughton IS quoted as saying that Rafa's behaviour represented the clearest example he had ever seen of constructive self dismissal.

As Chairman he was not responsible for hiring and firing, that was Purslow's job, although it is clear that he endorsed the decision.

Your first para is a little contradictory. A losing camp is an unhappy camp,Rafa was distracted with a stupid and futile battle with Purslow. It would have been astonishing if any players were happy, with the club on the market and teetering on Administration with key players eyeing the exit door.

Your second para I have never heard said, or repeated, nor do I believe.

Broughton IS quoted as saying that Rafa's behaviour represented the clearest example he had ever seen of constructive self dismissal.

As Chairman he was not responsible for hiring and firing, that was Purslow's job, although it is clear that he endorsed the decision.

Dont you find it strange then that purslow endorsed sacking Benitez, but now does an interview saying Rafa and Capello should be on the shortlist.

With regards the dressing room, im just quoting Tony Barrett who after that remark was put out by redknapp came on twitter and called it absolute bollocks. You have to remember Jamie didnt like Rafa.

Dont you find it strange then that purslow endorsed sacking Benitez, but now does an interview saying Rafa and Capello should be on the shortlist.

With regards the dressing room, im just quoting Tony Barrett who after that remark was put out by redknapp came on twitter and called it absolute bollocks. You have to remember Jamie didnt like Rafa.

It does seem odd. The way some portray the situation is a direct feud between Rafa and Purslow, Broughton having to choose one or the other.

Had he chosen Rafa, would that mean H&G would have a say in who was to be brought onto the board to replace Purslow?

It's weird that this was two years ago now, and the same rumours are still doing the rounds.

Yes.

Purslow is a complex,contradictory, character. A fan, A mate of Kenny's. An enemy of G&H as evidenced by the SOS interview, and Broughton. Instrumental in awarding Rafa a new contract, at loggerheads with him thereafter.Instrumental in his dismissal, yet party to G&H's departure just a few months later.It is an inconistent record.

If Redknapp says Rafa "lost the changing room" then I'm sure he's getting his info from the same players who were saying the same thing to Purslow who then passed it on to the press to undermine Rafa's position during our desperate battle for 4th in his last season. it wasn't just financial backing he was lacking at that time.

If Redknapp says Rafa "lost the changing room" then I'm sure he's getting his info from the same players who were saying the same thing to Purslow who then passed it on to the press to undermine Rafa's position during our desperate battle for 4th in his last season. it wasn't just financial backing he was lacking at that time.

Yes ive no doubt where he got his scoops from, who got what they wanted in the end by his removal, and 2 managers later and 1 League cup im sure they are delighted with how its all turned out success wise.

I remember when Gerrard wanted Curbishley in charge................

Yes.

Purslow is a complex,contradictory, character. A fan, A mate of Kenny's. An enemy of G&H as evidenced by the SOS interview, and Broughton. Instrumental in awarding Rafa a new contract, at loggerheads with him thereafter.Instrumental in his dismissal, yet party to G&H's departure just a few months later.It is an inconistent record.

what you may see as inconsistency probably has more to do with your (and everyone else's) lack of exposure to the facts on the ground. I know everyone likes to pigeonhole people in the goodie and baddie erm, pigeonholes, but these are complex dynamics amongst mostly intelligent people where lots of 'stuff' was happening.

People genuinely think that grown men 'hate' each other. It's business folks. Benitez, Purslow, Broughton, Tomkins (how the hell did he get in here? Security!), Dalglish, Hicks and the other one would all be capble of sitting in a room together over dinner and discussing old war stories. Actually H&G wouldn't. And nor would Kenny. He hates Benitez.

If all of that is true, does it not make you wonder why a section of the players turned on him so much? In every dressing room there will be players who like the manager and players who don't, that's just the way it is.

But so much so that they actively want to get rid of the manager? That just sets alarm bells ringing to me and its the one thing that worries me about AVB (if the same rumours were true).

what you may see as inconsistency probably has more to do with your (and everyone else's) lack of exposure to the facts on the ground. I know everyone likes to pigeonhole people in the goodie and baddie erm, pigeonholes, but these are complex dynamics amongst mostly intelligent people where lots of 'stuff' was happening.

People genuinely think that grown men 'hate' each other. It's business folks. Benitez, Purslow, Broughton, Tomkins (how the hell did he get in here? Security!), Dalglish, Hicks and the other one would all be capble of sitting in a room together over dinner and discussing old war stories. Actually H&G wouldn't. And nor would Kenny. He hates Benitez.

Go on then elaborate, seeing as Rafa brought him to back to the club. Kenny probably wouldnt have been in position to get a second crack at the job if it was'nt for Rafa.

If all of that is true, does it not make you wonder why a section of the players turned on him so much? In every dressing room there will be players who like the manager and players who don't, that's just the way it is.

But so much so that they actively want to get rid of the manager? That just sets alarm bells ringing to me and its the one thing that worries me about AVB (if the same rumours were true).

Maybe he was gonna sell one of the senior players, and the senior player didn't like it at all so wanted him out.

You're drifting into the thorny issue of player power now though. It could quite easily be read that at both Chelsea and Liverpool there were players who considered themselves to be bigger than the manager and therefore felt quite justified in actively trying to get rid of the boss. In Chelsea's case though, there was probably more about self-interest - ie players not playing, or feeling like they were being edged out - whereas at Liverpool they may well have been actively trying to get rid of the manager because Purslow made it much more possible for them to do so, pallying up to them and slagging off Rafa behind his back.

Go on then elaborate, seeing as Rafa brought him to back to the club. Kenny probably wouldnt have been in position to get a second crack at the job if it was'nt for Rafa.

After Benitez brought Kenny back to the club, this populist move needed to be undermined. So then we had stories about Benitez exiling Kenny to the Academy. This is the sort of shit which has led up to the current debacle.