You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Dalglish Leaves Liverpool.

Guest ShoePiss
Have people forgotten Liverpool's history?

Bill Shankly was relative nobody before he came to Liverpool.

Why NOT give a young manager the chance? (and the time of course).

Of course, you might argue that times have changed (and they have) but for every 1 'big name' manager success, there's another 10 examples where a big name didn't work out.

It's a bit of lottery no matter WHO you go with. Guardiola is no more a guarantee of success than Steve Bruce. Where the big names CAN help is attracting top players, but for that you'll need money and the promise of CL too.

I applaud the person who suggested starting over. Sadly, the owners have no interest in Liverpool per se, only the profits or the least costly exit strategy (should they come to the conclusion that there's no money to be made from you).

IF, and it's a huge IF any semblance of Liverpool's good name and history is going to be reflected in their next managerial appointment, then I think Roberto Martinez has typified the class and dignity that you might expect from a future Liverpool manager.

People are investing far too much stock in managers who've 'proven' themselves with big name clubs. I'd personally invest more effort in finding managers who've got a bit of spirit in them and a passion to defy the odds.

Sadly, FSG will be the ones deciding, and they have even shorter patience than fans. It doesn't bode well.

This forum is a fucking joke, we've got this manc prick with his condescending posts asking us if we've forgotten the history of our club.

Get to fuck you fucking boring manc cunt. Sick of reading post's of this twat telling us what we should be thinking about our club.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much money have been wasted on ompensations by the owners now? 8 million to Woy, Kenny? Commolli?, all the others?

Probably enough to have bought Banega, Ericsen or Diego - bloody depressing....

Probably the only reason they talk about a young manager is that he'll be cheap....

A good point.

FSG did not handle Kennys contract well either. A three year contract was unnecessary, a rolling annual one would have done just fine.

Before the FA Cup final I described Kenny's career as being on the cusp. History winning double manager on the one hand - this years Alex McLeish on the other (little did I realise how prescient an observation that would be).

Now it is the club on the cusp.

The club could appoint a top flight CEO, DOF and manager and announce a new stadium - and we would be good to go for the 21st century.

Here's hoping.

xerxes knows.

How much money have been wasted on compensations by the owners now? 8 million to Woy, Kenny? Commolli?, all the others?

Probably enough to have bought Banega, Ericsen or Diego - bloody depressing....

Probably the only reason they talk about a young manager is that he'll be cheap....

The club needed a clear out and restructuring(still) or it doesn't, which is it? Paying off of the contracts just shows they're prepared to pay to get what they want. Would you rather we kept Woy for the sake of some compensation?

How anyone could argue they're cheap i don't know. We've spent plenty of money, not untold amounts, but enough to be have been challenging for fourth easily.

Excuse me, but I don't think that I can accept that our own fans are putting forward Roberto Martinez as a replacement, so hearing it from a City fan is even more disrespectful and sickening. Not because of the money you've spent, but that if Mancini was just fired, you'd be laughing at other people suggesting a replacement manager to come in and manage a team with our history with no CV of having ever won anything in any league.

That's not really the point.

You've HAD a total legend who HAS done it at the highest level and you've just fired him.

And you had one before that who had decent CV and you fired him too

And you had Rafa who'd done it at the highest level and you fired him too.

So tell me... do you think the pattern will be broken with another 'big name'? I don't.

I'm not saying Martinez is or isn't the right man. Nobody can tell the future - what I DID say is that he exhibits the class character that you'd expect of a Liverpool manager.

Let me reiterate:

You've just sacked KENNY DALGLISH, and now want a 'big name with proven track record'? You had him in your hands 24 hours ago.

Of course, I don't mean 'you' the fans (but 'you' the damn owners), although as at any club, there's a fair few who weren't impressed with Kenny.

My point is that folks are dismissing small time managers and shouting for the likes of Mourinho!... Mourinho who'll jump ship in 2 years?

No matter who you get, there's no guarantees. I think it's wise to remain open minded don't you?

I disagree with the sacking for much the same reasons as I disagreed with the sacking of Benitez.

Is there anybody out there better who'd be willing to come?

Do the owners have enough of an idea about the game to actually appoint the right man?

Said it before - Will no doubt find myself saying it again in the weeks & months to come? The "Want it Now" brigade who are always the First to help the media vultures & our club's enemies tear down Any long-term building work at our club & then hypocritically Complain we never play the Long Game at Anfield? Have a F*cking Lot to answer for this time & then some.....................

Pathetic Little Tossers should F*ck Right off; Liverpool Fans? Don't make me F*cking Laugh. I mean with friends like That lot? Who needs enemies?

Edited by Redshadow

The club needed a clear out and restructuring(still) or it doesn't, which is it? Paying off of the contracts just shows they're prepared to pay to get what they want. Would you rather we kept Woy for the sake of some compensation?

How anyone could argue they're cheap i don't know. We've spent plenty of money, not untold amounts, but enough to be have been challenging for fourth easily.

They gave Woy the contract, they gave the others their contracts.... It's one thing replacing a disaster like Woy, who they decided in their wisdom to appoint and give a long term contract, but Kenny/Clarke/bruckner/Commolli/aso - just proves they're pretty shit at employing people! Or put another way they're mistakes have cost a lot the TRY to fix, as we await the new employments...

If you think buying Henderson for Meireles, even considering the shit price we paid is ambitious your deluded... They wanted Meireles out and Henderson in because of their salary difference....

The cost of wages go directly against your income, whilst the transfer cost can be written off over the contract period! If Henderson got a 5 year deal he cost us 3,2 mill + wages a year, whilst Meireles cost us ( 4 year deal at 12 mill - 3 mill) + much higher wages... In other words we have a cheaper player against the EBITDA and the EBIT than we had in Meireles... They reduced costs and got an inferior replacement...

This is also the reason I expect them letting Maxi and Kuyt go this summer as It'll reduce wages when they replace them...

That's not really the point.

You've HAD a total legend who HAS done it at the highest level and you've just fired him.

And you had one before that who had decent CV and you fired him too

And you had Rafa who'd done it at the highest level and you fired him too.

So tell me... do you think the pattern will be broken with another 'big name'? I don't.

I'm not saying Martinez is or isn't the right man. Nobody can tell the future - what I DID say is that he exhibits the class character that you'd expect of a Liverpool manager.

Let me reiterate:

You've just sacked KENNY DALGLISH, and now want a 'big name with proven track record'? You had him in your hands 24 hours ago.

Of course, I don't mean 'you' the fans (but 'you' the damn owners), although as at any club, there's a fair few who weren't impressed with Kenny.

My point is that folks are dismissing small time managers and shouting for the likes of Mourinho!... Mourinho who'll jump ship in 2 years?

No matter who you get, there's no guarantees. I think it's wise to remain open minded don't you?

Open minded, yes. Blind, no. To suggest a manager who has had a good six weeks with a club that was in the relegation zone, would be a blind appointment. That's not the point either, is it? The point is, our management hasn't instilled an awful lot of faith in our supporters of late. Getting in a 'small name' with no proven track record, isn't being wise right now. But I put it to you, if Mancini were fired, City fans wouldn't exactly be happy with a manager who hasn't won anything before, would you?

Im not really sure where this leaves us, we as fans are allowed to voice and call for knee jerk decisions even if we dont truly believe them, the board of a football club are an entirely different matter, to tear up their project after just 18 or so months because of a loss in a cup final smacks of a set of people who have no idea how to run a football club.

If there are any positives to be drawn:

1) Liverpool must still be a pretty attractive name to 80% of the top flight managers. A select few won't like the location / owners / prospects of success, but most would fancy the job I think - so long as there's yet another pot of money for players.

2) With Kenny put aside, the club might appear more attractive to a manager who will no longer have concerns about his 'looming presence' (not saying he had one, but it's an accusation that's been aired in the past)

3) With Liverpool at a relatively low ebb, it's prime for a manager to play 'hero' and turn it around. (although this was something most had hoped Kenny would be).

I believe the problem isn't going to be finding a decent manager, it's going to be convincing players to stay or arrive.

This FSG mean business

Business, yeah.

Baseball, yeah.

Football specifically? Jury out.

What happens next, and then 12 months on, will pretty quickly tell us for sure.

I am definitely not convinced.

Being ruthless is one thing.

But what if all they've got to offer us is "ruthless"?

Being constructive is the bit I'm hanging out for.

My word. I'm shocked but quite honestly not surprised. Really sad for Kenny. Thanks for making me believe in football again (the game on grass not all the other bollocks - hedge funds and texans etc). You put a smile on my face and the glow from the big wins stayed with me longer than the frowns from the lows.

He was/is/and always will be Liverpool Football Club.

My word. I'm shocked but quite honestly not surprised. Really sad for Kenny. Thanks for making me believe in football again (the game on grass not all the other bollocks - hedge funds and texans etc). You put a smile on my face and the glow from the big wins stayed with me longer than the frowns from the lows.

He was/is/and always will be Liverpool Football Club.

apologies for the double post

I wish he had been given less control to identify transfer targets, to be honest...If Downing, Henderson, Adam et al could have been vetoed he'd still be here, but no one at the club is going to say to Kenny 'nah, you're not having him'.

The second half of last season, the football had a spark sorely lacking after the arrival of the British mediocrities, and that's galling. It was a horrible misjudgement by Kenny, probably born of his time away from the game, if the signings had been more imaginative we'd have kicked on from last year and probably gotten close to the CL. As it is, we ended up with players who just couldn't deviate from the plot, who wouldn't be capable of carrying out anything but the most straightforward task.

Downing has no footballing brain, Henderson's tells him to do nothing but 'play it safe / hide when the going gets tough' and Adam might have one, but his body is on a five second delay.

You could see how stressed Kenny had become, the lame excuses, the inability to deviate from plan a when we knew what was unfolding in front of our eyes, really fucking Hodgson-esque at times, and that's never been his way. His demeanour reminded me of Houllier in his final season the last few months, a huge difference from his comeback at Old Trafford.

If we make the right selection now I think this is for the best, but there's a huge part of me that is gutted regardless.

I'd like to know who is advising FSG.

I can't believe they've approached another Premier League manager. Other than Wenger or Fergie, there is no-one good enough.

Martin O'Neill would arguably have a decent track record. Mancini also.

I suspect O'Neill would have loved the job, but it's probably tricky with him being at Sunderland such a short time. Mancini probably would have taken the Liverpool job over City 2-3 years ago, but unlikely he'll jump ship now.

O'Neill splits opinion with most fans, but he's about the best combination of track record / plausibility / already in the Prem.

The fact that some bookies have suspended the betting on Villas-Boas is a little worrying. Can't read too much into of course as this kind of thing has happened before, but my gut feeling is that there might well be something in the whispers that are going around.

Replacing Kenny with Villas-Boas? Not sure that's my idea of progress.