You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Dalglish Leaves Liverpool.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the worst I've felt about the club since KD left previously. It may be for the best, and it may turn out ok, but I'm not sure it will drag me along with it. I really admire Dalglish and he is my strongest bond with the club. Absolutely miserable this evening.

A sad day.

Lets face it though, this season has been a disaster. Not only has an incredible amount of money been wasted but the performances have been terrible too. Maybe Kenny should have had one more season but I cant say I had complete faith in him turning it around.

At the end of the day FSG are the owners and they obviously wont tolerate what they perceive to be underachievment. Whether it is the correct decision remains to be seen but I wont be making judgment until a new manager has been appointed and we can see if they really mean business or not.

We've been ruled by our hearts for far too long at this football club and the game has moved a long way from when we were last truly successful.

Let's see what FSG's next move is.

Ok, I'll bite. What's THIS?

Nobody knows any detail and accusations already got tossed around like rotten eggs.

The 24 hours time lag suggested to me Kenny didn't accept FSG's proposals -- whatever they were, and decided to walk.

Kenny was flown all the way to Boston for a meeting then they waited till he'd come back to England before sacking him via the phone/skype/email whatever they used. Or thats what I've understood from most of the things I've read today. It lacks a bit of class in my opinion.

It has to be Raffa or if FSG are to be taken for real than they will have to spend big style and bring in a certain "special one". But he would want serious £££££ eg right side player Hazard and other players like that. The ball is in your court now FSG! But no way Martinez ,Lambart

What a sad day, not just for LFC but for football (once again).

I fear this is just one more symptom of modern day footballing 'expectation' and desire for profit.

I believe the following:

1) Kenny's record speaks for itself throughout his career at Liverpool

2) His second stint at Liverpool has only confirmed what any right minded fan ought to have known - it's difficult to improve a team in the blink of an eye, regardless of how much you spend. Kenny did 'OK'. Not great, not badly, but as well as any fair minded person could expect. That didn't seem good enough for many.

3) Liverpool FC, like many other clubs have owners that ultimately operate as a business and expect profits. Trophies aren't profit. Money is profit. Money comes from CL, increased brand awareness, advertising and merchandise. Gate receipts don't make much difference without CL.

4) Whilst I think it's fair to say this season hasn't been great, it could be described as cloudy with the odd moment in the sun. For a mid table team, it would be a fine season, but for one of LFC's stature, it's not quite good enough.

5) The expectation for ANY club to be in the top 4 is a high one. If LFC are realistic, they will accept that they probably going to be in the group of 'possibles' for top 4 for the next few years. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that they will win the league in the next 3 years. That means, there are going to be some years when they simply don't make CL. That will be the same for Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, City and United. Obviously some of those team will have improved odds, but it's going to be tight and 7-8 clubs into four positions does not fit!

6) I believe FSG have grossly underestimated the costs of competing with the likes or Barca, United, Bayern, Madrid (as Liverpool have historically done), and grossly underestimated how difficult it is to purchase top players and top managers.

7) I think Kenny's been treated badly. I'd far rather have seen a more graceful 'stepping aside' than a sacking.

8) I think it only goes to show how 'fortunate' City have been in having owners that aren't looking for a financial return per se at City. Of course they 'want something' out of the club... and we're just being 'used' like all owners use the clubs, but for City it's more about promoting Abu Dhabi than about making a profit for investors. At Liverpool, it's hard cash only.

9) I think ALL fans ought to be seeing the light - that the CL and Premier League have changed our game forever. Successful? Yes. Good for the game? I don't think so.

10) I hope (without too much damage to LFC) that FSG and stop seeing our clubs as a way to make a buck, but we (in part) have ourselves to blame for keep paying hand over fist to watch our teams, calling for big name signings and having unrealistic expectations of what's achievable.

The very best of luck to Kenny Dalglish. A legend. A good man. A man capable of mistakes.

It cannot be long before the judgment of FSG themselves is called into question. They on on 'Plan C' already.

No. Let's start a new history today. I didn't want to see Kenny get the sack but there it is.

We've been living in the past since he left the first time. Let's clean out the fecking house completely and start from scratch like we did when Shanks came to us. No to Rafa, no to Carra and no to England's Steven Gerrard.

Let's make a new Liverpool.

with all respect, mate......i've never heard so much shite in all my life.

I hope we get to the top four (I'm not even going to suggest a title challenge) and then the Americans sell the club to some superduper mega rich oligarch who then builds us a new stadium, a real one this time, not a drawing of one.

I hope we get top four next year (not even going to think about a title challenge anymore) and the Americans decide to sell the club based on CL success to some super duper mega rich oligarch (for a nice profit) and they invest properly in the club. Then we challenge for the title.

Bastards. If they appoint someone who hasn't got a class CV they are fucked.

I wish they'd sell up.

Exactly. These pricks saying please not benitez need to get a grip. There is not one person calling for benitez that wouldn't prefer guardiola, its just that guardiola ain't gonna happen. Martinez? Rodgers? Fuck me. If we have sacked kenny to put someone like those two in charge there will be hell to pay. Surely we should be going for a manager that has won the european cup or a major european league a couple of times.

Guest ShoePiss

@danroan: Former Liverpool CEO Christian Purslow tells @bbc5live that Dalglish sacking is "bizarre" & "harsh"

My word.

Some serious revisionism going on here. Plenty slagging off Kenny (rightly or wrongly) only a few days ago are now outraged at his sacking. Our own fans show plainly what football has become.

Was anyone slagging off Kenny or saying he's got some things wrong?

I think he's got some things wrong but no way would i want him sacked.