You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Dalglish Leaves Liverpool.

It is sad , hes a true legend ....... dissapointing how this season turned out after that half a season when things looked bright.

I couldn't see any other outcome after the money wasted and the regression this year.

We need to get our shit together now , hopefully Fenway get this next decision right , go all out to get Klopp.

I have a good feel about that guy too. The million dollar question is will he come to us! Do the baseball men even know such a manager exists? God help us. If we don't get this one rigt we're doomed.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Business, yeah.

Baseball, yeah.

Football specifically? Jury out.

What happens next, and then 12 months on, will pretty quickly tell us for sure.

I am definitely not convinced.

Being ruthless is one thing.

But what if all they've got to offer us is "ruthless"?

Being constructive is the bit I'm hanging out for.

Surely you mean soccer.

Football to them is played like rugby for girls.

Nothing less than a public kicking of Henry and Werner on the Anfield pitch would make me care about this club again. After all these years, through the hell of Souey's era and Ged's last years and Rafa's last season, this is really the pits. It belongs to Sky now, everything.

Open minded, yes. Blind, no. To suggest a manager who has had a good six weeks with a club that was in the relegation zone, would be a blind appointment. That's not the point either, is it? The point is, our management hasn't instilled an awful lot of faith in our supporters of late. Getting in a 'small name' with no proven track record, isn't being wise right now. But I put it to you, if Mancini were fired, City fans wouldn't exactly be happy with a manager who hasn't won anything before, would you?

It's not six weeks. It's 3 years.

Given his 'tools' he's done a fine job and with dignity.

If Mancini were fired, we'd be expecting Mourinho or similar, of course we would. That's they we (the fans) shouldn't be calling the shots. We'd all want Messi, we'd all want Mourinho because we look for miracle cures.

That doesn't mean the 'right' cure isn't someone else - perhaps less famous.

Football today has become one long merry-go-round of the top 20 managers circling the big clubs and of course, only a small number of them actually doing well at more than one club. I'm just not convinced it's the right way forward. Chelsea might be an example of that.

The fact that some bookies have suspended the betting on Villas-Boas is a little worrying. Can't read too much into of course as this kind of thing has happened before, but my gut feeling is that there might well be something in the whispers that are going around.

Replacing Kenny with Villas-Boas? Not sure that's my idea of progress.

Hmmmn. Share the same feelings mate.

From their perspective, bringing in a really young manager, who's won a few things with future ahead of him. Fits into their MO.

Maybe to work with Steve Clarke?

FSG are getting advised by someone. There is no doubt.

The last couple of months were poor but for 2/3 of the season I felt we had been unfortunate. Am I right in thinking the previous season from when he took over we were top 2/3 in the league?

Dalglish never lost the fans - not by a long way i dont think - and for me the players were still playing for him. Poor decision by the owners this unless Pep is gonna walk through the doors over the next 14 days!!

I think unfortunately (but not unpredicatbly) the henderson downing signings were catasphrophic add this to the fact his 3 first choice centre midfielders gerrard/lucas and adam were injured and combined these things have probably cost him. The midfield 4s we were putting out towards the end of the season were offering fuck all.

Just hope they have a winner lined up.

I think it will be AVB. Didnt get a chance at chelsea did he sign 2 players? and get less than 6 months?

Porto winning percentage higher than mouriniho, won everything there inc eufa cup and played good football an we were apparently interested in him previously

The fact that some bookies have suspended the betting on Villas-Boas is a little worrying. Can't read too much into of course as this kind of thing has happened before, but my gut feeling is that there might well be something in the whispers that are going around.

I tend to agree with you on both counts. Looking very like AVB going to be squatting down at Anfield next year.

Martin O'Neill would arguably have a decent track record. Mancini also.

I suspect O'Neill would have loved the job, but it's probably tricky with him being at Sunderland such a short time. Mancini probably would have taken the Liverpool job over City 2-3 years ago, but unlikely he'll jump ship now.

O'Neill splits opinion with most fans, but he's about the best combination of track record / plausibility / already in the Prem.

When O'Neill didn't get anymore money to spend, he left the club a week before the season started. He did, however, manager to get Villa to the sixth spot three years in a row, so at least he was consistent. I'm not sure that already being in the premier league is a necessity. There are a fair few managers who weren't in the prem and did quite well.

From their perspective, bringing in a really young manager, who's won a few things with future ahead of him. Fits into their MO.

I imagine Villas-Boas is who they wanted originally so it would make some sense if that's who they went for now.

I'm not at all convinced by him to be honest, but if they have some kind of long-term strategy then I suppose he fits the bill. It would be a pretty big risk though, that's for sure.

I hope its not AVB personally. He seemed pretty clueless at chelsea and didn't know how to get the best out of his players for whatever reason. Plus he had this bad habit of playing a ridiculously high line to the point where a simple ball over the top had chelsea all over the place. Di Matteo took over and did a lot better job with the same players. Wouldn't touch AVB with a barge pole. People keep talking about his success at Porto and completely ignore how shit he was at chelsea. Thanks but no thanks.

I'd agree with that on the basis that I don't think Kenny should have gone but now that he has Villas-Boas is certainly a more appetising choice than many of the names being thrown about. Young so can the potential for this to be his career defining appointment, got a bit of pedigree and will likely have learnt a lot about English footy from his brief stint at Chelsea. Certainly not the perfect successor but arguably a lot better than a few of the names that are apparently in with a decent shout of getting the nod.

AVB's an intersting one, loved watching Porto and figured he'd be top of the wish list if Kenny wasn't offered it after kast season. At Chelsea it was never going to work, their old guard did for him and he needed a proper bulldog of a AM to back him up.

Would he, or anyone, get significant funds to spend though? I can't help but think Kenny going still comes back to how the owners viewed the transfers, if there was no money they'd have kept him and said get more out of your signings surely?

Still seems an odd conversation to have at this point, weird day.

Clarke has left in show of support for Kenny.

Nothing less than a public kicking of Henry and Werner on the Anfield pitch would make me care about this club again. After all these years, through the hell of Souey's era and Ged's last years and Rafa's last season, this is really the pits. It belongs to Sky now, everything.

And that sir, is the truth.

Our clubs are now businesses.

Our owners now buy a club for their own ends.

They sell us shirts, tickets, media subscriptions and bullshit.

It's an entertainment industry now, and in actual fact, life would be a lot simpler for them if the fans didn't exist. Most of the revenue comes from elsewhere anyway (or other fans, indirectly, through advertising).

Kenny was right when he said a trophy is a trophy. In football terms it's great

FSG are right when they say a trophy is worth jack shit to the investors, they want revenue, not silverware, and whilst some silverware can increase revenue, Kenny picked the lowest of them all to win!

Since FSG are in charge. They win.

And we the fans? we're every bit as bad... because WE have belittled certain trophies in favour of that shameless scam called CL, and that is precisely what it is. A scam.

This was posted elsewhere but sums Me up? To a tee; Oh & a big Fuck Off to the snivelling little Tw*ts with "their opions" who Caused both this & the Rafa' debacle 2 years ago as well as who Started the rot of so-called "modern football" getting into the heads of Our fans of all teams - Something they Showed by Booing when we went Top in December 2008? Well? I must say nicely done you F*ckers in getting your own way after stamping your feet (& blowing the clubs off in the process) you Must be happy now no? This is prob' a dream for idiots & pathetic little tossers like you Lot isn't it? D*ckheads & f*cking knownothing Pathetic little p*cks to a man. Anyway? You know Who you are & I suggest you stay away from those like me who remember What this club once was for the foreseeable..............

Anyway I agree with the following to the letter & though I didn't write it? I could of done as it sums up All my feelings on this disgraceful news tonight.

"You know what, i have just got home, sky news "liverpool sack kenny dalglish", well fuck me sideways, Shankly will be turning in his grave, fucking disgrace, you know all you fans every match thread "im not having a go at kenny but he should go" well you have go what you wanted, hope your all fucking happy. Do you understand really whats just happened? Liverpool way my arse, there is no liverpool way anyway, this clubs finished. Finished. You can cry about "its the auld arses need to move on", " moneyball" (which is a c*nt of a word), "sky sports fans" stick it all up your arse.

This man, yes this man has just been sacked, after getting to two cup finals in his first season TWO FUCKING CUP FINALS, there is no hope for any more managers. TIME YOU NEED TO GIVE PEOPLE TIME, and if you can't give a legend who gets to two finals in his first full season time, your fucked, fucked as a club.

We stood apart from the rest of the world, for our ways, our banter, our respect, our loyalty. We thats all gone, all of it. So what does the new manger have to do now, well i'll tell you what, he has to win every game, 5 games in yes 5 games in i will put my life on it you twats (you know who your are) will be calling for his head.

The same man you all wanted knighting, if this club even offer him a job on the coaching staff or as a steward, director of football whatever he should tell them to stick it up their arse, their is only so much one man can give, and this man gave our club everything.

I see Rafa's name being mentioned, eh , fucking great, lets take him down with us as well, If that man had any sense he'd be on a plane to get a million miles away from our club.

So in ten years time when our 8th manager in ten years comes in, will you all be smiling then eh?

I'm finished with this shit. This isnt the club i was brought up around."

In one in short & I suspect I'm very Far from the Only Red thinking all that tonight nor should I be...........

Some good points in there, by you and the poster you quoted. We look totally chaotic at the moment.

And your restraint in not using too much blod crap actually makes your stuff less painful to read.

It feels really horrible at the moment. Yes, Kenny fucked up a lot last season but he actually won a trophy and nearly won another. It's hard to disbelieve that the Suarez shitstorm was something FSG never forgave.

Most bookies still have Martinez as favourite but Boas has come down to around 11/4 second in the betting.

Alot of site now have Brendan Rogers as third in the betting with Benitez fourth.

As I was looking at the odds 32 red odds for the overcoat got slashed down to 8/1 now its 19/2.

I imagine Villas-Boas is who they wanted originally so it would make some sense if that's who they went for now.

I'm not at all convinced by him to be honest, but if they have some kind of long-term strategy then I suppose he fits the bill. It would be a pretty big risk though, that's for sure.

Yep. That too.

Made a horrendous mess of Chelsea. Don't care what anyone says about the old guard etc.

Signed Mata, but also bought Lukaku and Raul (combined £30m).

We're speculating of course, just based on the fact that loads of people are betting.

Probably means nothing.

We need a more experienced manager than AVB personally, as I also agree it's a massive risk.