You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

carroll.jpg

Was that performance by Andy Carroll on Tuesday the best individual performance we’ve seen this season? I reckon so, with perhaps Steven Gerrard against Everton and Luis Suarez at Norwich running it close. But they both scored hattricks whereas Carroll didn’t get a goal against Chelsea at Anfield. He didn’t need to.

Everything about his play on this occasion was just awesome. Did I mention it was awesome?

Right from the start you could see him wanting to build on Saturday. The belief and self confidence was etched in his face even before kick-off.

He won every ball in the air against John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic, and as much as Chelsea would like to dismiss this as loss for their reserve side I’m sure they’d prefer to have had those two playing in Munich next week.

[insert joke about Bayern wanting to appeal Terry’s ban here]

But it wasn’t just that. He was fantastic along the ground too. He kept getting himself in front of the defenders and even when the ball appeared lost, he’d somehow wrap his legs around the defender and tackle it to a team mate.

His movement was superb as well, he looks so much more mobile now and you don’t expect him to fall over at every step.

Basically, he was just unplayable and he was the catalyst for everything that happened. When the rest of the team sees that kind of defending from the front it gives them confidence. And when they see him bring down balls and flick balls on to Suarez or the wingers from difficult passes whilst under pressure from big centre backs we build from it.

We keep possession and we keep momentum in attack. With so much attention having to be paid to Carroll, that other forward of ours is free to roam. That’s what Carroll can do for us. That’s what we paid so much money for. That’s what we thought we were getting. That’s what we’ve been getting for the past couple of months. And that’s what we hope to be getting next season.

I don’t care if he only scores 8-10 next year if he delivers like he has done recently, because it will mean others should get many more than they have this season. You compare the current Andy Carroll to the unfit and overweight version of last season and it really has been an amazing transformation. By all accounts he’s found out or been told what it means to play for Liverpool and what it takes to be successful here. And fair play to the lad for taking action on that and getting his head down.

Keep working hard and hopefully we should see a string of performances at this level in the future. I was excited when we signed him because having seen him impress at 16 against our youth team this was the kind of player I thought we’d signed. I think most of us had given up on that but now it looks like it is after all.

Pete Schulz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

Yeah I'd completely given up on in, I wanted him out of the club. The transformation that has taken place with him is shocking. I don't know or really care what the catalyst has been but I hope to fucking god it continues into next season. His form for most of the season has caused a hefty chunk of despair for a lot of fans, Carroll consistently putting in performances like the other day and the final will give the entire club a huge boost.

Too right. Great piece. I wonder if we'll look back at that horror show up at Newcastle as the turning point for Andy. Such was the torrent of unnecessary vitriol unleashed, I dunno, I kind of feel any sense of regret or homesickness or lingering fondness for the old place went that day. Since then his head has seemed right and his performances improved. Bring on next season.

carroll.jpg

Was that performance by Andy Carroll on Tuesday the best individual performance we’ve seen this season? I reckon so, with perhaps Steven Gerrard against Everton and Luis Suarez at Norwich running it close. But they both scored hattricks whereas Carroll didn’t get a goal against Chelsea at Anfield. He didn’t need to.

Everything about his play on this occasion was just awesome. Did I mention it was awesome?

Right from the start you could see him wanting to build on Saturday. The belief and self confidence was etched in his face even before kick-off.

He won every ball in the air against John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic, and as much as Chelsea would like to dismiss this as loss for their reserve side I’m sure they’d prefer to have had those two playing in Munich next week.

[insert joke about Bayern wanting to appeal Terry’s ban here]

But it wasn’t just that. He was fantastic along the ground too. He kept getting himself in front of the defenders and even when the ball appeared lost, he’d somehow wrap his legs around the defender and tackle it to a team mate.

His movement was superb as well, he looks so much more mobile now and you don’t expect him to fall over at every step.

Basically, he was just unplayable and he was the catalyst for everything that happened. When the rest of the team sees that kind of defending from the front it gives them confidence. And when they see him bring down balls and flick balls on to Suarez or the wingers from difficult passes whilst under pressure from big centre backs we build from it.

We keep possession and we keep momentum in attack. With so much attention having to be paid to Carroll, that other forward of ours is free to roam. That’s what Carroll can do for us. That’s what we paid so much money for. That’s what we thought we were getting. That’s what we’ve been getting for the past couple of months. And that’s what we hope to be getting next season.

I don’t care if he only scores 8-10 next year if he delivers like he has done recently, because it will mean others should get many more than they have this season. You compare the current Andy Carroll to the unfit and overweight version of last season and it really has been an amazing transformation. By all accounts he’s found out or been told what it means to play for Liverpool and what it takes to be successful here. And fair play to the lad for taking action on that and getting his head down.

Keep working hard and hopefully we should see a string of performances at this level in the future. I was excited when we signed him because having seen him impress at 16 against our youth team this was the kind of player I thought we’d signed. I think most of us had given up on that but now it looks like it is after all.

Pete Schulz

Anyone who thinks that display was better than Gerrard or Suarez scoring a hat-trick is mental

Anyone who thinks it's OK for a striker to only score 8-10 goals is mental. Especially one that has cost us 35m

Guest ShoePiss
If he plays like his last few games for most of next season, we would have some player on our hands.

Yes and yes to your previous post!

Edit: It was actually silverlining that did the previous post haha. Yes to your post sl.

Edited by ShoePiss

Anyone who thinks that display was better than Gerrard or Suarez scoring a hat-trick is mental

Anyone who thinks it's OK for a striker to only score 8-10 goals is mental. Especially one that has cost us 35m

Agger, Skrtel and Lucas have all played better - in matches of greater significance - earlier in the season, too.

Guest San Don

Some people will have a Lucas moment with Carroll and never recognise the lad's improvement.

If he can maintain the performances in the cup final and against chelshit in the PL next season, he will be awesome. He needs to score some goals. Doesnt have to be 20 goals a season either.

Guest ShoePiss

If he's regularly putting in the level of commitment and can influence games like he did the other day I'll be more than happy with a 15 goal return from him. It was the same thing with Crouch for me.

Having written him off earlier in the season some people are now obviously reticent to give the lad some credit, or adapt to the fact that he is starting to look a top class player. He needs to score more, but if we can find a right winger like Valencia in the summer then I'm confident that he will, especially if he maintains this kind of focus and determination.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yep. It wasn't even Andy's best performance. His cameo in the FA Cup was better.

Keep proving them wrong, Andy. Haters gonna hate.

There's only one way a striker can prove his worth, and that's with goals.

He's done well of late, he's been putting a shift in which is nice to see and he was excellent when he came on in the FA cup, but some of the stuff I've seen about Carroll on here lately has absolutely blown my mind - I even read someone suggest he's better than Torres.

I've also seen a few threads where it's somehow being used to beat those who've questioned him this season, 'knew he'd come good', 'ran them ragged' etc, but it doesn't hide the fact chelsea weren't at the races - they didn't need to be. Also heard 'he's been ace for ages now but wasn't being given the credit' (even though, crucially, he still wasn't scoring.

Seen it a few times with Shelvey too, all of a sudden he's midfield general material based on the fact he's played better than Henderson and scored against Chelsea.

The reason our fans have so many lows is because they allow the highs to get stupidly high. A couple of good performances is what it is, a couple of good performances, nothing more.

It all reminds me of the Evans era at the moment, we'd have a couple of top class players surrounded by poor ones who were capable of raising their game now and again. You'd hear things like 'Steve Harkness was a revelation at left back', or 'McCateer should be on the wing, he was excellent tonight', then two weeks later we'd be bitchslapped out of the UEFA cup and all of a sudden all in the garden was shit again.

I firmly believe the bulk of our players just don't have the ability to play at a top level for the majority of the time. Sometimes they'll looked decent against certain opposition, or they'll excel in a particular match, but that's all, because that level of top class ability just isn't in them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's done well of late, he's been putting a shift in which is nice to see and he was excellent when he came on in the FA cup, but some of the stuff I've seen about Carroll on here lately has absolutely blown my mind - I even read someone suggest he's better than Torres.

I've also seen a few threads where it's somehow being used to beat those who've questioned him this season, 'knew he'd come good', 'ran them ragged' etc, but it doesn't hide the fact chelsea weren't at the races - they didn't need to be. Also heard 'he's been ace for ages now but wasn't being given the credit' (even though, crucially, he still wasn't scoring.

Seen it a few times with Shelvey too, all of a sudden he's midfield general material based on the fact he's played better than Henderson and scored against Chelsea.

The reason our fans have so many lows is because they allow the highs to get stupidly high. A couple of good performances is what it it, a couple of good performances, nothing more.

It all reminds me of the Evans era at the moment, we'd have a couple of top class players surrounded by poor ones who were capable of raising their game now and again. You'd hear things like 'Steve Harkness was a revelation at left back', or 'McCateer should be on the wing, he was excellent tonight', then two weeks later we'd be bitchslapped out of the UEFA cup and all of a sudden all in the garden was shit again.

I firmly believe the bulk of our players just don't have the ability to play at a top level for the majority of the time. Sometimes they'll looked decent against certain opposition, or they'll excel in a particular match, but that's all, because that level of top class ability just isn't in them.

The vast majority of our fans get so carried away. It's almost as if they don't watch any other footballers or teams play. All they appear to have to compare our players with is the shit performances from the same players.

I know that's not true of some, and they fall more in the 'red-tinted glasses' camp, but somebody was comparing Downing to Giggs before we signed him. It's so far removed from reality.

That said, it's in all our interests if he picks up his game. He really needs to start banging in the goals though.

The reason our fans have so many lows is because they allow the highs to get stupidly high. A couple of good performances is what it is, a couple of good performances, nothing more.

I'm starting believe Carroll is capable of exactly that section mate to be honest. Now that he finally appears to have settled. We'll hopefully see it next season.

Btw I'm not claiming that he's better than a peak torres but you know what i mean!

I think you need to look at who those people criticising players one week and praising them the next are because I don't think they're the same. I haven't got anything to back that up but I don't think you'll have found many posts by me slagging off Carroll. Why would I waste my time on such negative stuff?

Doesn't mean I haven't been hugely disappointed in what we've seen from Carroll in loads of games.

My honest opinion of his performance on Tuesday is in the original post. I stand by that. If Carroll finds that level on a consistent basis next season I'll be happy (with him). If that means 8-10 goals, so what, he'll be laying on loads of goals for the others helping the team. I believe that, others don't.

But we all see these things differently and I've always had a soft spot for the type of player that Carroll is. I also like Grant Holt for instance. Much better and much more intelligent on the pitch than he's given credit for.

To people like Frode these things that I've placed great emphasis on don't matter much so he values the performance much differently. Fair enough, I don't agree with him but I'm not going to start calling him names over it.

Also, I have no desire to do a 'told you so' over it, I'm just extremely happy that Carroll has finally started delivering. And I don't need to see his name on the scoresheet to be able to recognise a brilliant performance by a forward.

Absolutely spot on, Sec.

Personally I think the hysteria feeds on itself. Players are either totally shite or Jesus Christ reincarnated; the escalating extremism in opposing viewpoints on the forums is like an internet arms race for spackmongs.

Carroll has the potential to be a good forward in the mould of Drogba, although whether he can reach that level is moot. He's been very poor for most of the season, and goal shy even when on form, but he has improved of late and his last few games have been pretty good, even excellent. In the FA Cup final in particular, his performance was as game-changing as I've seen.

It remains to be seen whether the lad can keep up both the effort and the form he's in, and I wish personally that we didn't have a break just as he's playing well, but it's not unnatural to be hopeful for him, surely?

Edited by zigackly