You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What a shame for the lad

Neil Mellor ‏ @NeilMellor33

It's a very sad day for me and my family. On medical advice I have decided to retire from professional football.I am devastated

Had a big hand in us winning number 5. Hopefully he can get a gig coaching somewhere.

Guest Pistonbroke

Good luck to the lad in whatever he turns his hand too....had an unlucky career with all his injuries.

There's only one niel bellor!

In all seriousness I'm proper gutted about the news. He always came across in interviews and stuff and a good honest fella. Good luck in the future. Still hear his name every time my phone rings, "mellor, lovely cushioned header to gerraaaaaaaaaaaaaard

"The Boy Bellor"

Gutted for him. He's one of a handful of former players whose career I keep an eye on and I always used to pump my fist in celebratory fashion every time his name popped up on the vidiprinter when he'd scored.

Injuries held him back his whole career and he just never got the break with them. Even in 04-05 when he was getting some games for us due to Cisse's injury and the fact that we couldn't replace Owen before the January window his opportunities were limited as his knees were causing him problems.

He's still got some great moments to look back on - and he has the memory of sharing a hotel room with Igor...

Didn't he have major problems when he was a youngster? I seem to remember leg breaks and all sorts?

Very sad for the lad, but I suppose at least he has 2005 to remember. A lot of players never get to experience games like Olympiakos.

Great strike in a magical season, a lot of the current mob could learn a lot about heart and desire from Neil Mellor.

Was in the Main stand right by the Kop with me father leaving my seat to head home and a roar went up for a challenge on Kewell and just as i looked up Mellor had put his foot through it, que the place went fucking mental.

Terrible bad luck for the lad. Wish him all the best