You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's criminal when you think we could have had aguero, silva and van persie for the money we paid for Carroll downing and Henderson. (On paper at least). We have been SHIT at spending money since 2006. Has there been another club more wasteful than us in that time?

We could have had both and for much less than they eventually went for, Rafa had an eye for talent, some shite as well admittedly.

Except the wages are quite different - Aguero is on £250k a week, so that is close to £6m a year extra.

I think it goes without saying we could have spent that money far better - but not necessarily on Aguero, or the Rapist.

This was Paul Tomkins' argument last year in trying to justify signing Carroll et al. It overlooks the fact that not only will we lose £17m or so on his transfer fee, the return on investment from Aguero's wages is still significantly greater than the neglible contribution we were getting for £90k-100k per week from Carroll.

The money saved on wages argument is a fallacy when you compare the gulf in quality of the players we've been signing for the last decade (with a few notable exceptions).

This was Paul Tomkins' argument last year in trying to justify signing Carroll et al. It overlooks the fact that not only will we lose £17m or so on his transfer fee, the return on investment from Aguero's wages is still significantly greater than the neglible contribution we were getting for £90k-100k per week from Carroll.

The money saved on wages argument is a fallacy when you compare the gulf in quality of the players we've been signing for the last decade (with a few notable exceptions).

That is hindsight though!

You don't spend £35m on a player, and then factor in losing £20m within a year.

That £6m a year extra over 5 years adds £30m to the original £35m fee. So it isn't a fallacy it is a fact. As I say - the money can quite clearly have been spent better, which is why the argument for factoring in the loss is not relevant - a successful Andy Caroll would be worth £25m.

£35m plus £20m over five years, or;

£35 plus £60m over five years!

WHU are 7 points away from relegation, in which I am almost certain they will be in the PL next season. They have 12 games left inc playing us, so AC has 11 games to improve on his 2 goals this season. (I know he has been injured, not having a go)

If he reaches 10 goals, would WHU spend the money on him (circa £18m).

What would be regarded as a success for him this season?

and more importantly

What fee are we likely to get this summer?

It's criminal when you think we could have had aguero, silva and van persie for the money we paid for Carroll downing and Henderson. (On paper at least). We have been SHIT at spending money since 2006. Has there been another club more wasteful than us in that time?

Yes we've been wasteful, but we've got no chance attracting such players until we're in the champions league assuming we could match their wage demands

WHU are 7 points away from relegation, in which I am almost certain they will be in the PL next season. They have 12 games left inc playing us, so AC has 11 games to improve on his 2 goals this season. (I know he has been injured, not having a go)

If he reaches 10 goals, would WHU spend the money on him (circa £18m).

What would be regarded as a success for him this season?

and more importantly

What fee are we likely to get this summer?

There is no way that Sullivan and the Golds will sanction an £18m fee plus £80k a week.

We will end up with between £5m and £8m and we will have to subsidise his wages, the biggest hit on a transfer we have ever had to take.

Rodgers has been proved right letting him go.

2 goals at this stage of the season.

£35m. What the fuck were we playing at.

When you factor in he was injured when we bought him I'm amazed nobody served time for that monumental (emphasis on mental) fuck up. A guy that couldn't get a game when he was fucked off to Preston North End, followed it up by being relegated with Newcastle, scored 31 league goals, 17 in The Championship and we see fit to spend £35m on him. Again, while he was injured and while we had absolutely no competition for him.

Somebody, somewhere is eating a Toffee Crisp I reckon because it boggles the mind that with all the people involved in that transfer on our side nobody turned round and said, hold up lads, what the fuck is going on? A stench of new money off that transfer and a desperately poor use of club resources.

Worst signing in football history.

Everybody involved on our side should hang their heads in fucking shame.

I don't want to criticise Kenny but how could he, with all of his experience within the game, have given his blessing at that fee? It's hard to comprehend.

That is surly true? He brought nothing to the table but an admission that he liked a few drinks. I think he will go back to Newcastle for a nominal fee at the end of the season. We have been pissed about for years when it comes to these shite hawk loan deals and I don't think this will be any different. To be fair, West Ham would want to be crazy to pay the £18-20m that is being touted.