You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Subscription costs....

dave u

Just got back from the post office, with my wallet a lot lighter than it was when I entered.

The cost of stamps has gone up, which I knew. I didn't know just how much though. It costs around an extra 30p to send a copy of the mag to a UK address, which is taking the piss a bit but nothing compared to the overseas rates. I'm sure we can live with a 30p increase.

However, it's almost £3 now to send to Europe, and nearly £4 to the rest of the world. That's an increase of over a quid on each, which means I'm going to have to put up the cost of subscriptions to cover that.

It doesn't cover the cost of any subs that have already been paid for, so that's coming out of my pocket now. Royal Mail are taking the piss, but it's not like there's any alternative.

What it means is I doubt there'll be too many of you who live in the US, Canada, Australia etc who'll be willing to pay that much for a subscription (I know I wouldn't pay it), as the mag costs £2.50 and the postage is £3.86. It's ridiculous.

So, I need to try and figure out how to get an online version on the go. If anyone has any experience on how to do this then drop me a PM.

Hosting it as a pdf file on my own server isn't really an option, and ideally I'd like to be able to make it available for people to buy in itunes, amazon etc

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I heard somewhere that itunes charge 30% of the cost for hosting the app, so you'll need to factor that in.

Could be wrong thought, but worth checking your cost first.

Apple take 30% of app profits (and probably other items, too). So say you sell it for a quid, you get 70p per purchase. Considering the reach, that's not all that bad.

You could pdf it and have a page on your website where paid up peoplecan download the pdf.

Not an option, the pdf is a really big file and there's bandwidth issues as a result of that.

It needs to be hosted somewhere else. I've had a pm with some recommendations so I'm going to read up on those tonight.

Just got back from the post office, with my wallet a lot lighter than it was when I entered.

The cost of stamps has gone up, which I knew. I didn't know just how much though. It costs around an extra 30p to send a copy of the mag to a UK address, which is taking the piss a bit but nothing compared to the overseas rates. I'm sure we can live with a 30p increase.

However, it's almost £3 now to send to Europe, and nearly £4 to the rest of the world. That's an increase of over a quid on each, which means I'm going to have to put up the cost of subscriptions to cover that.

It doesn't cover the cost of any subs that have already been paid for, so that's coming out of my pocket now. Royal Mail are taking the piss, but it's not like there's any alternative.

What it means is I doubt there'll be too many of you who live in the US, Canada, Australia etc who'll be willing to pay that much for a subscription (I know I wouldn't pay it), as the mag costs £2.50 and the postage is £3.86. It's ridiculous.

So, I need to try and figure out how to get an online version on the go. If anyone has any experience on how to do this then drop me a PM.

Hosting it as a pdf file on my own server isn't really an option, and ideally I'd like to be able to make it available for people to buy in itunes, amazon etc

So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

As a short term solution, why don't you email the magazine in PDF format to all the people who have subscribed. That isn't going to cause your bandwidth to choke and it will save you a fortune in postage.

Dave,

Couple of things. 1) Are they sent Printed Paper Rate, it is usually cheaper. 2) I'd be happy to cough up the difference for what I paid and what it costs you to send--not sure how many overseas people buy, but others may be too.

For PDFs, no way for me. I read the mag on the bog, so am not dragging my PC in every time I have a crap. It's basically the only time I am off the computer...

Dave,

Couple of things. 1) Are they sent Printed Paper Rate, it is usually cheaper. 2) I'd be happy to cough up the difference for what I paid and what it costs you to send--not sure how many overseas people buy, but others may be too.

For PDFs, no way for me. I read the mag on the bog, so am not dragging my PC in every time I have a crap. It's basically the only time I am off the computer...

1) Yes, I send it 'printed paper'.

2) I'll work out the difference and pm you, thanks mate I appreciate that as you don't have to do that.

The PDF format would be an alternative to the paper version, not a replacement for it. A lot of people prefer the printed copy, as I do myself. The postage costs for overseas though is getting so far out of hand that an online version will soon be the only way most outside the UK will be able to afford it.

1) Yes, I send it 'printed paper'.

2) I'll work out the difference and pm you, thanks mate I appreciate that as you don't have to do that.

The PDF format would be an alternative to the paper version, not a replacement for it. A lot of people prefer the printed copy, as I do myself. The postage costs for overseas though is getting so far out of hand that an online version will soon be the only way most outside the UK will be able to afford it.

Not a worry - I'll keep with the subscription too, even if there is an increase. Pretty insane how prices are going up--it's not your fault the rise has been excessive, so if it helps, I am definitely happy to pay the difference.