You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

“XXXXXX is the least of our worries

JohnnyH

I’ve now seen those exact words said in the last few days in reference to Spearing, Kuyt, Reina, Carragher, and Flanagan.

I’m just wondering who it is we should be worried about as the list if players in the “least of our worries” category seems to be getting longer and longer?

I've just said it with respect to Spearing, so I'll take you up - we should be worried about the golden generation Kenny has just signed. The quartet of Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam. We either move them on for hefty losses, both financially and in face, or we have them hanging around the squad for the next five years, stinking the place out and dragging us down to Aston Villa levels of mediocrity.

Guest TK-421

Tedious soundbite that tells us nothing.

File away with "XXXXXX shouldn't be anywhere near the first team".

I've just said it with respect to Spearing, so I'll take you up - we should be worried about the golden generation Kenny has just signed. The quartet of Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam. We either move them on for hefty losses, both financially and in face, or we have them hanging around the squad for the next five years, stinking the place out and dragging us down to Aston Villa levels of mediocrity.

Fair enough. But my point would be that we should be concerned with everything. Almost no one should be safe.

Skrtel and Agger can be told to go off and enjoy their holidays. Lucas too obviously. Suarez (If by some miracle he stays for next season) should be told to go on holidays and enjoy himself, but also to draw a big goal on his garage door in Uruguay and spend his 4 weeks off kicking a ball at it.

That’s about it. Everyone else should fear for their position (yes, even the Captain and Vice-Captain – time to show the club means business). We have had a league season that was worse then anyone could have imagined. No matter if we win on Saturday or not, major action needs to be taken.

Yes no-one should be safe but then there is a clear priority of problems facing the club right now. Jay Spearing ain't top of that list for me, he's nowhere near.

The big problem is the fact that we've just had a transfer window that made the Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou splurge look prudent. One of my main worries would be, how do we stop that from happening again? My next worry would be, how do we mitigate the woe the golden generation are going to cause us?

Kenny still seems to think his signings will come good, that's the biggest worry for me.

There are plenty of issues to be worried about.

Im not as worried about Adam,if he wants to be part of the squad im happy for him to be here.We didnt pay a big fee for him and he is a good player to have around the squad.

The big worry for me is Carroll and Downing.Carroll just doesnt seem to have the strikers instinct to gt on the end of things.He seems to take a step forwards and play ok for a couple of games ten just goes backwards again.Downing just doesnt seem to have the mentality to impose himself on games.

Spearing just isnt good enough for me and need replaced,we need competition for Lucas in the midfield and he just in not good enough for a team trying to break into the top 4.

Carra needs replaced in the summer unless he becomes the 4th choice centreback.Coates needs games to move forward.

We should be worrying about who we sign this summer, whether we have money, whether the manager is the right man, whether the seemingly shite players that we've wasted money on will remain shite, whether our best players will still be here next year, whether our captain will still be any good next year, whether we can actually compete, and so on.

Not about Jay Spearing (who is a decent squad player), Jon Flanagan (who is useless), and players who are probably coming to the end of their time here. They are, in fact, the least of our worries.

From left field a bit,but is Gerrard one of our main issues this summer.

Injuries are mounting and he doesnt seem to have the same mobility or drive from the midfield,his long distance shooting is limited aswell.

Guest TK-421
My favourite - and by favourite I mean least favourite - is the phrase 'If we'd have played [insert flavour of the month] then we'd have won 150-2'.

Crouch would have won us number 6.

It was me who used it in reference to Kuyt. It is a bit of a cliche, granted, but he'll probably be off this summer and he's not the reason we've had such a wretched season in the league. Therefore he's not worth worrying about. The same applies to Carragher and to some extent Flanagan albeit for different reasons (he's not a regular first team player yet). Reina could become a concern if his form doesn't improve although from what I've heard he's off anyway. Spearing again is more of a squad player and for the most part has done a good job.

What does worry me are the players we've bought recently who appear to be hugely ineffective and generally a bit shit. They were bought as first team players and so far they've been next to useless. There's also been some changes to the style of play that don't really make any sense and to my mind were a huge mistake. In short there has been some pretty huge fuckups been made over the last 18 months and Dirk Kuyt isn't one of them.

It was me who used it in reference to Kuyt. It is a bit of a cliche, granted, but he'll probably be off this summer and he's not the reason we've had such a wretched season in the league. Therefore he's not worth worrying about. The same applies to Carragher and to some extent Flanagan albeit for different reasons (he's not a regular first team player yet). Reina could become a concern if his form doesn't improve although from what I've heard he's off anyway. Spearing again is more of a squad player and for the most part has done a good job.

What does worry me are the players we've bought recently who appear to be hugely ineffective and generally a bit shit. They were bought as first team players and so far they've been next to useless. There's also been some changes to the style of play that don't really make any sense and to my mind were a huge mistake. In short there has been some pretty huge fuckups been made over the last 18 months and Dirk Kuyt isn't one of them.

I dont get this statement as we have been blowing teams away all season,including the top teams,with excellent passing football and then playing like a blind man in a bin bag when in and around the penalty area.

Its not about the style of play to me,its the quality of the players thats the main problem.

I dont get this statement as we have been blowing teams away all season,including the top teams,with excellent passing football and then playing like a blind man in a bin bag when in and around the penalty area.

Its not about the style of play to me,its the quality of the players thats the main problem.

I keep hearing this but I haven't seen it at all. We might have had plenty of possession in a number of games but I think teams are happy to let us have the ball because they know we won't do anything with it.