You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He's shit too. Henderson is shit. Spearing is shit. They always have been. They always will be.

What's the big debate? We all know it. We always have known it. Hardly a fucking surprise is it?

'oh wait a sec, he's fucking shit'

Yeah. Welcome to now. Where have you been?

I agree with Silverlining!!!

That post sums it up perfectly.

Spearing isn't shit at all, he's just being asked to play the holding role when he's at his best when playing next to a holding midfielder. Like Mascherano was at his best when Alonso was sweeping up behind him, Spearing is at his best when Lucas is sweeping up behind him. He hasn't had that luxury this season so he's looked rather poor in most games.

Just because a player is good at tackling it doesn't mean he's a holding midfielder.

Spearing isn't shit at all, he's just being asked to play the holding role when he's at his best when playing next to a holding midfielder. Like Mascherano was at his best when Alonso was sweeping up behind him, Spearing is at his best when Lucas is sweeping up behind him. He hasn't had that luxury this season so he's looked rather poor in most games.

Just because a player is good at tackling it doesn't mean he's a holding midfielder.

Good post

Which sides in the Premier League would buy Spearing (for a reasonable price) off of us?

I understand the support on here because he's local, but his ridden the ride for way too long. He has never been good enough for this club. The fact that he is still here is indicative of how our club has been ran. Poorly.

Edit: I'll qualify that, though, with saying that he is the least of our worries. Purely because he cost us fuck all, will have a low paying contract and because his one real quality (an abundance energy) puts him head and shoulders over Henderson and Adam.

He seems to have come in as the perfect replacement to Charlie Adam. He's already got the hand signal perfected.

119282761_display_image.jpg?1312399756

That's all I remember Adam doing this season - smashing the ball miles over the crossbar or straight into a defender when there were other options available and then that friggin' gesture to say "Sorry, I'm a selfish git"

Infuriating.

So you are suggesting that he's at his best playing as a second holding midfielder, even though he cannot play as a solo holding midfielder? He certainly is not a box to box player, and definitely is not a threat going forward.

Not to knock the lad as he does put in a better effort than more talented players, but he isn't Liverpool class. Not even for backup. That should be someone like Jonjo at this stage in his career who has at least a chance of becoming a permanent fixture.

I'd go as far to say that if he is released he'd need to drop a division to find regular first team football.

Not good enough, and I don't think he will ever be good enough. 24 this year, so he isn't exactly young.

The fact that he is the best defensive midfielder available at the moment probably sums up why this season has been so shit.

The fact that he is the best defensive midfielder available at the moment probably sums up why this season has been so shit.

Totally agree. You may be accused of excuse making but even so, it's clearer why we failed to sign a replacement for Lucas in January with the departure of Comolli.

The whole display last night was dreaful....Jay had a poor game, he usually puts in a decent shift, he is a honest type of player who doesnt go hiding in matches unlike a lot of that lot last night. Imo Andy Carroll was the only one trying out there last night, true hes trying to influence Kenny to start him on Saturday against the chavs, but at least he got involved. Not that long ago people where slagging off Lucas..he came good didn't he? Now it looks like Lucas role is so important to us, the sooner he gets back the better. Jay is good player to have in your squad but hes not going to win a game on his for us...there is only one player at LFC who would do that for you and he comes from Huyton!!

I think Jay is like the younger Danny Murphy of our time. He will probably end up playing well at a fulham or Bolton-type team. Playing alongside Lucas had worked wonders for him, but without him, Jay just seems to struggle with whatever role he's asked to play. Last night v Fulham was proof of that. Loan him out, see how he does next season.

Jay had a nightmare last night and gave up possession far too often on what should have been straightforward passes. However, all players have poor games and many others have escaped this type of backlash when they have dialled in performances this season. Part of the problem is Spearing hasn't built up sufficient credit from previous performances, a la the likes of Gerrard, to warrant overlooking a horror show.

As others have said, I wouldn't be inclined to get rid of Spearing just yet. Admittedly he will never be a world beater but I still think he can provide the type of cover the likes of Gibson, Park and O'Shea have provided the Mancs - filling in for cup games or less important league games when others are injured / rested. Unfortuantely injuries to Lucas and Adam have forced us to play Spearing much more regularly than would otherwise have been the case and he does not currently merit being a first team regular.

I don't see many people arguing that Henderson or Adam have been a whole lot better this season and they cost the club large transfer fees and enjoy much higher wages - apparently £65k per week in Henderson's case. Our squad is never going to comprise 25 top class internationals as they all expect regular appearances and receive large wages. If the likes of Spearing, Kelly and Robinson can fill in around the edges this should give us more money to spend on "core" players.

Spearing showed last season that he is capable of doing a job for us and I don't see any reason why he couldn't play 15 - 25 games for us in future in the Europa League, domestic cups and the odd league game against lesser teams. The key is that we use the money we save on wages / transfer fees to buy real quality for the first XI and that didn't happen last year.

He is poor, and isn't going to improve. Henderson is a better player and is 21, and has been with us for one year.

I am getting fed up with this 'so and so are poor as well' argument. Is he good enough? No, I don't think he is, therefore he needs to be replaced.

Guest TK-421
He is poor, and isn't going to improve. Henderson is a better player and is 21, and has been with us for one year.

I am getting fed up with this 'so and so are poor as well' argument. Is he good enough? No, I don't think he is, therefore he needs to be replaced.

I agree with this.

I don't think he'll ever be as influential as Danny Murphy was, either here or at any other club in the top division. Great attitude but sadly not up to the task in hand.

I think Jay is like the younger Danny Murphy of our time. He will probably end up playing well at a fulham or Bolton-type team. Playing alongside Lucas had worked wonders for him, but without him, Jay just seems to struggle with whatever role he's asked to play. Last night v Fulham was proof of that. Loan him out, see how he does next season.

He's nothing like Danny Murphy as a player, and nowhere near as good either. Which says it all, really.

The fact that Jay Spearing has played so many games for us is rather depressing. Ditto Horrenderson.

Gald we gave him a try out, he has done his best and has shown heart this season but has ultimately proved not good enough, last night I reckon was a mixture of him (a) being not very good and (b) the pressure showing of playing for an FA Cup spot, another mid table player playing in our first team, proof is in the pudding as they say.