You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson for England

The_Goat

My mate knows a few people in FA circles, he's just told me this:

His understanding is that Hodgson has been approached with a view to, initially at least, leading the team in the European Championships. Essentially his take is that the FA have decided that they can't afford to wait the extra 3 weeks to appoint Harry and had come to the conclusion that it was too much for Pearce. Therefore Roy will be offered the job on a temporary basis to go to the end of the Euros. If he does well the FA will then offer him the job on a permanent basis, but if he doesn't they will thank him and offer Redknapp the job in July.

Read this Brendan, you hysterical fucking fairy.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate knows a few people in FA circles, he's just told me this:

His understanding is that Hodgson has been approached with a view to, initially at least, leading the team in the European Championships. Essentially his take is that the FA have decided that they can't afford to wait the extra 3 weeks to appoint Harry and had come to the conclusion that it was too much for Pearce. Therefore Roy will be offered the job on a temporary basis to go to the end of the Euros. If he does well the FA will then offer him the job on a permanent basis, but if he doesn't they will thank him and offer Redknapp the job in July.

I cant see him being that stupid and excepting them terms.

Surely WBA will want t offer him a new contract and if he takes the Ingerland job fucks up,he has no job come the new season.

The FA are using him in someway to get jowls to take the job.

I bet they have told jowls they want him now and he has said not till season finishes.

So this way there forcing jowls to leave Spurs early.

Jowls could resign from Spurs couldnt he and b y doing that it wouldnt cost the FA any compensation to pay either.

Roy Hodgson: Reaction to FA's approach for West Brom manager

The Football Association has been given permission by West Brom to speak to their manager, Roy Hodgson, about becoming the next England boss.

But Mark Palios, a former FA chief executive, said that does not necessarily rule out a move for Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp.

He said the FA is "under pressure" to do something with Euro 2012 just a matter of weeks away.

"Hodgson is a candidate they would naturally speak to," Palios told the BBC News Channel.

"West Bromwich Albion's season is settled and they are now safe [from relegation]."

Analysis

_57741563_danroan.jpg Dan Roan BBC sports news correspondent

"It's a big shock as the red-hot favourite was Harry Redknapp. The FA has gone against the will of the people and the press and gone for Roy Hodgson. The pressure will be on from day one."

Palios said Hodgson "ticks the boxes in certain ways" because he is English and has experience at international and club level.

On the FA saying Hodgson is the only manager they have asked to talk to, Palios said: "This doesn't mean to say there aren't other people they would approach."

But he added that just because Redknapp appeared to be a popular choice, the FA "should not be a slave to public opinion".

Former England manager Graham Taylor believes the FA is attracted to Hodgson, rather than Redknapp, because he will create a "club-like atmosphere" at their new National Football Centre in Burton-on-Trent.

"With the building of the new centre, that is going to be absolutely vital with future England teams at all levels," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"A lot of us, myself included, when we become the international manager we stop being like a club manager. We're taken out of our tracksuits, we don't have our own staff around us and we're on our own. You've got 10 or 11 games in a season where normally you'd have 60 and you haven't got a club atmosphere at all.

"I just happen to feel, without the FA saying this, that what they're probably looking for is a man who will be willing to go into Burton pretty much every day and stay in a tracksuit, and see the young boys at youth level, see the under-21s and his first team when they are there.

"They're trying to prefer a man who will still have that club atmosphere about him. They haven't said that, that's just me assuming, but I don't think they will see that Harry will fit that bill.

"I think Roy Hodgson is that type of man. Being up in the Midlands where Burton is he probably won't have to move home. The last thing we can ever imagine is Harry moving from Sandbanks [in Dorset] to Burton."

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson believes that Hodgson was the FA's second choice behind Redknapp.

He told the BBC News Channel: "Harry is an excellent man-manager and I believe that Hodgson is second choice, whatever the FA says.

"I believe Redknapp will have been spoken to at some stage and he maybe said he doesn't want it at this time."

The Daily Telegraph's football correspondent Henry Winter fully expects Hodgson's appointment to be confirmed but says there will be doubts from some quarters about him getting the job.

"I think there will be a lot of doubts among the England fans," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Personally, I think he is a decent choice. I would certainly back him, certainly now that it is clear the FA has turned away from Harry Redknapp.

"I've interviewed Hodgson down the years and he is a very deep thinker. One way of summing him up is that he is a broadsheet man in a tabloid world. He is almost a professor type character when people want soundbites and players want short team-talks.

"So, he is going to have to change his style of management and style of news conference if he is going to succeed in the job."

Former England striker Alan Smith was "staggered" that Hodgson had been approached and told Sky Sports: "We all thought Harry Redknapp would get the nod."

But ex-England left-back Kenny Sansom insists Hodgson's demeanour would make him an ideal choice.

"His experience is second-to-none, which I think is fantastic," he told Sky Sports. "He has so much knowledge about football - football is his life.

"I think he has everything to offer, I really do. He is a very calm guy - he doesn't get too excited."

He added: "He will relax the players [for Euro 2012] because it is a big championship. He will get to know the players very quickly because of his wealth of experience."

England Supporters' Club member Mark Perryman says there needs to be clarity from the FA concerning Redknapp.

"I think first of all, the FA needs to be open in terms of the situation," he said. "It's almost inconceivable that they haven't approached Redknapp.

"I think the fans and the broader sporting public have a right to know what the situation is with Redknapp."

Thats from the bbc website

Redknapp is going to cost them too much and in this day and age of people being all financially conservative, the FA will be wanting to kill loads of birds with one stone. Englishman to manage England? Check. Experience and proven record of winning on international level (ok, I think they are being a bit liberal with the 'proven')? Check. Cheap? Check. Average appeal? Check. Universally liked by journalists? Check. Scandal-free? Check. It all points to Hodgson. Only has to sign the contract now. Please sign it.

The press conferences are going to be hilarious, plus if something fucks up he'll try and blame one of the players publicly. Wonder what his tactics will be when England are losing 2-0 to France with 30 minutes to go?

Hasn't he also got to go to Norway for a friendly?. I'm sure members of their press will love him after his outburst saying "that's another country i'd never work in"

Roy Hodgson

<table class="table borderRight"><colgroup> <col width="179"> <col width="98"> <col width="98"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> </colgroup> <thead> <tr> <th>TEAM</th> <th>FROM</th> <th>TO</th> <th class="right">GAMES</th> <th class="right">WON</th> <th class="right">DRAWN</th> <th class="right">LOST</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">West Brom</td> <td>14 Feb, 2011</td> <td>Present</td> <td>52</td> <td>20</td> <td>12</td> <td class="last">20</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Liverpool</td> <td>01 Jul, 2010</td> <td>08 Jan, 2011</td> <td>31</td> <td>13</td> <td>9</td> <td class="last">9</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Fulham</td> <td>30 Dec, 2007</td> <td>01 Jul, 2010</td> <td>128</td> <td>50</td> <td>32</td> <td class="last">46</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Finland</td> <td>15 Aug, 2005</td> <td>30 Nov, 2007</td> <td>28</td> <td>8</td> <td>13</td> <td class="last">7</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Viking</td> <td>11 Jul, 2004</td> <td>20 Dec, 2005</td> <td>50</td> <td>23</td> <td>11</td> <td class="last">16</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">UAE</td> <td>09 Apr, 2002</td> <td>14 Jan, 2004</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">1</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Udinese</td> <td>21 Jun, 2001</td> <td>10 Dec, 2001</td> <td>17</td> <td>7</td> <td>5</td> <td class="last">5</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Grasshoppers</td> <td>01 Jul, 1999</td> <td>01 Jun, 2000</td> <td>6</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td class="last">1</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Inter</td> <td>01 Jun, 1997</td> <td>21 Nov, 1998</td> <td>61</td> <td>37</td> <td>11</td> <td class="last">13</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Blackburn</td> <td>01 Jun, 1997</td> <td>21 Nov, 1998</td> <td>63</td> <td>22</td> <td>18</td> <td class="last">23</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Switzerland</td> <td>26 Jan, 1992</td> <td>15 Nov, 1995</td> <td>16</td> <td>6</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">7</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Malmo</td> <td>01 Jul, 1984</td> <td>01 Jun, 1990</td> <td>6</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">2</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Bristol C</td> <td>03 Jan, 1982</td> <td>30 Apr, 1982</td> <td>20</td> <td>3</td> <td>5</td> <td class="last">12</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Halmstads</td> <td>01 Jul, 1976</td> <td>01 Jun, 1980</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td class="last">1</td></tr></tbody></table>

I dont expect much from England, I do from Liverpool.

Also in international football you can go a long way with good organisation and keeping it tight at the back.

Norway under Egil Olsen is the perfect example, we are useless going forward, but still really organised at the back and even if I'm not sold on most British players they are still better than the Norwegian ones.

Keeping it tight at the back, being good from set pieces and having one or two players to work miracles for you are a recipy for success in international football where its enough to win your home games and get a few draws away to qualify for the tournaments and then its cup games really and you dont need to go out and attack like you do in the league if you want success.

Thats why I think Hodgson can do reasonable well with England, England are going to play Norway in a friendly in May though, a loss there and he could be in for a hard ride before he's even started and we have a pretty good record at home, we never lose.

Depends on what you class a long way code.

Also if egotistical players can't follow the demands of a manager like Capello Hodgson has no chance.

Fucking Terry will be organising training on his second day in charge.

Roy Hodgson

<table class="table borderRight"><colgroup> <col width="179"> <col width="98"> <col width="98"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> <col class="right" width="65"> </colgroup> <thead> <tr> <th>TEAM</th> <th>FROM</th> <th>TO</th> <th class="right">GAMES</th> <th class="right">WON</th> <th class="right">DRAWN</th> <th class="right">LOST</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">West Brom</td> <td>14 Feb, 2011</td> <td>Present</td> <td>52</td> <td>20</td> <td>12</td> <td class="last">20</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Liverpool</td> <td>01 Jul, 2010</td> <td>08 Jan, 2011</td> <td>31</td> <td>13</td> <td>9</td> <td class="last">9</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Fulham</td> <td>30 Dec, 2007</td> <td>01 Jul, 2010</td> <td>128</td> <td>50</td> <td>32</td> <td class="last">46</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Finland</td> <td>15 Aug, 2005</td> <td>30 Nov, 2007</td> <td>28</td> <td>8</td> <td>13</td> <td class="last">7</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Viking</td> <td>11 Jul, 2004</td> <td>20 Dec, 2005</td> <td>50</td> <td>23</td> <td>11</td> <td class="last">16</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">UAE</td> <td>09 Apr, 2002</td> <td>14 Jan, 2004</td> <td>4</td> <td>0</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">1</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Udinese</td> <td>21 Jun, 2001</td> <td>10 Dec, 2001</td> <td>17</td> <td>7</td> <td>5</td> <td class="last">5</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Grasshoppers</td> <td>01 Jul, 1999</td> <td>01 Jun, 2000</td> <td>6</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td class="last">1</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Inter</td> <td>01 Jun, 1997</td> <td>21 Nov, 1998</td> <td>61</td> <td>37</td> <td>11</td> <td class="last">13</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Blackburn</td> <td>01 Jun, 1997</td> <td>21 Nov, 1998</td> <td>63</td> <td>22</td> <td>18</td> <td class="last">23</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Switzerland</td> <td>26 Jan, 1992</td> <td>15 Nov, 1995</td> <td>16</td> <td>6</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">7</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Malmo</td> <td>01 Jul, 1984</td> <td>01 Jun, 1990</td> <td>6</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td class="last">2</td> </tr> <tr class="alt"> <td class="first bull">Bristol C</td> <td>03 Jan, 1982</td> <td>30 Apr, 1982</td> <td>20</td> <td>3</td> <td>5</td> <td class="last">12</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first bull">Halmstads</td> <td>01 Jul, 1976</td> <td>01 Jun, 1980</td> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td class="last">1</td></tr></tbody></table>

I am not his biggest fan but I do think he accomplished a little more over 6 years with Malmo than 1 win?