You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard in the Echo....

dave u

1) he's thinking about moving to Chelsea, or 2) he has already decided to move the Chelsea. If the story was bollocks, he could have denied it on or off the record by now, and the fans wouldn't be in this position. In fact, if he cared about the fans at all, that's what he would have done.

There is a third option, in my opinion. Parry trying to sell him of to collect some cash, usin the media, the fans, Chelsea and Gerrard himself in a mindgame. Having it look like Gerrard is the bad guy. We have to remember that there are more than £130.000 a week in stake here. We are talking about say £40.000.000, the need for a fresh batch of players, a new stadium, a newly hired manager, +++.

You have to look at it from all angels when you're facing deals of this size. As I've said before, Parry could have slagged this of as easy, or even easier, as Gerrard could, but all he keeps saying is "if he wants to go, there is nothing we could do". How about "You can't have him, even for £1.000.000.000.000 and the russian empire, sod off Roman "Baldrick" Abramovitc!"

But no.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is obviously something to these stories, or rather the story.

But until it's official that he either wants to go to Chelsea, or that he wants to stay i dont think it's all that wise to slate him like he's off already.

There can be more things to this than what is reported.

Sorry Kop, but why would Parry say that, unless he wants to look like a twat? He knows damn well that if Gerrard wants to go there are basically two options - they either let him go and cash in (and hopefully reinvest well) or effectively lose his services until his contract runs out and therefore lose out on his transfer value.

Sorry Kop, but why would Parry say that, unless he wants to look like a twat? He knows damn well that if Gerrard wants to go there are basically two options - they either let him go and cash in (and hopefully reinvest well) or effectively lose his services until his contract runs out and therefore lose out on his transfer value.

Just like Gerrard might go for the money, Parry sees a golden cloud at the end of this storm. Its like when a child ask for an icecream; you can tell him right away that an icecream is out of the question, end of story. Or, you can tell him that an icecream is nothing you would prefere him to eat right now, but if he insist you might give up. Then the kid will have nothing but icecream on his mind untill he gets it in his face.

So, if Parry from the start told both Gerrard and Chelsea that a deal if out of the question, it would be just that. When Gerrard signs a 5 year deal he should be prepared to see it out and not start winding after 3 months. My point is that I am not sure it was Gerrard who started the winding. Or at least, we should hold our minds open for other options.

there are basically two options - they either let him go and cash in (and hopefully reinvest well) or effectively lose his services until his contract runs out and therefore lose out on his transfer value.

My spiteful side would let him rot in the reserves. Tell Chelsea to stick the 30 million up their arse and tell Gerrard he can do what the feck he likes...in 5 years when his contract expires.

All this assuming he is leaving (and I'm still holding on to the idea this is all nonsense).

This shit is quite similar to the Vieira stories 3 years ago.

He had been reported as saying he wanted out, it went as far as most Arsenal fans, and rival fans were at one point convinced he would leave.

He said Arsenal would finnish no higher than third.

He went on and had a chat with Wenger and stayed.

Hoping for the same scenario with Gerrard...

Gutted if he goes as I have never seen a player carry a team as much as he did last season, but I more gutted for what it means rather than the fact he has gone. For me he epitomised what any great player is about - attitude and ability. I really believed he loved this club. If he goes now then clearly he doesn't. He has unfinished business with us. I understood when Steve MacMan left as he had been at the club a long time and carried the team most seasons (along with RF) and been relaitvely unsuccesful. Stevie G has had success and knows this club needs him. He must also realise that with a new boss at the helm and a decent squad already with a couple of class additions we have a good chance of challenging for all the major trophies. Not sure we could win them, but we could quite eaily be there challenging. I'd kind of lose a little respect for football if he left as the only reason he should leave now is for an even more vulgar wage than he already has. Like Macca - if he is still finishing 4th with us in a season or 2 and won nothing else then fair enough all the best. If he goes now then I hope like Macca that we experience great success as he leaves and who knows the team will have to be less dependant on him so could as a whole improve.

There's is clearly something to this. The fact that The Echo are writing that it's touch and go, along with Parry and Benitez's comments mean that we really should be worried. Also, my mate drinks with Carra's dad who has said that Gerrard spoke to Chelsea before the season ended. None of that means it's definite, but there is something rotten in Denmark.

However, in the spirit of not letting this dampen the optimism of Rafa's arrival and in the context of the fact that we're going to win the league next season (copyright Hermes 2003), how about suggestions for how we spend the money (£30-40m minimum for Gerrard, plus the Thai money minus Moore's cut - about another £40m)?

After tonight's performance, we should have Gattuso off Milan. He's got a Scottish missus from his days at Rangers so there is a family link to this country and, more to the point, he is absolutely fucking class. He's box-to-box and hard as nails; a proper winner. So, I'm having him for about £15m.

He's going to play next to Baraja for about £10m, as Valencia are skint, and I'm having Duff (£15m) off the no-class, jumped up, nouveau toss-pots as part of the deal. Then, I reckon we'll have Bridge (£8m), Gallas (£7m) and Mexes (£10m) just for good measure.

So, here's our title winning side for next season:

Kirkland

Carra Mexes Gallas Bridge

Kewell Baraja Gattuso Duff

Owen Cisse

NB, Gerrard's going to stay, so ignore the above ramblings.

So, if Parry from the start told both Gerrard and Chelsea that a deal if out of the question, it would be just that.

That's a nice, simple world you're living in. Shame the real one's a little more complex. Gerrard's not a kid. Telling him there won't be a deal won't stop him from wanting it (not to mention the likelihood of it stopping Chelski trying to get him), and he's unlikely to give 100% on the pitch until he gets what he wants.

You say you're not sure that it was Gerrard who started the 'winding'. What evidence is there to suggest that it was Parry other than wishful thinking - that our Stevie wouldn't do it to us? As opposed to the steady trickle of information telling us the opposite.

I'd love to believe the theory about him using his position to lever the board into getting the three world class players that we all want. Even if that's the case though, would it be healthy to have our club at the mercy of one player?

Perhaps, and maybe I'll look a bit silly if he stays, but let's look at what we *do* know.

Steven Gerrard is our captain, our most important player, and to all intents and purposes the figurehead of the club. The story about him wanting to leave has now been circulating for nearly a week (at least), and as yet he hasn't said a word about it. Now, unless you're either a bit naive or a hopeless idealist, that means one of two things; 1) he's thinking about moving to Chelsea, or 2) he has already decided to move the Chelsea. If the story was bollocks, he could have denied it on or off the record by now, and the fans wouldn't be in this position. In fact, if he cared about the fans at all, that's what he would have done.

Now, of those two options, obviously one is worse than the other, but the implications are much the same. He obviously doesn't care as much about LFC as we thought he did. He is willing to turn his back on us as soon as the prospect of more money (and the vague possibility of more trophies) presents itself to him.

You might ask, wouldn't we all do the same in his boots? Well, no. I sure as hell wouldn't. Because I would be honoured to play for Liverpool football club, and because a HUNDRED medals I won playing for a bunch of soulless shills like Chelsea wouldn't compare to just one I won playing for LFC. FACT.

Agree totally, and as i said to my brother earlier, what did Chelsea win last season?

He also spoke about Scouse Pride today regarding Wayne Rooney! Clutching at straws I know but its something.

"There's a lot of Scouse pride from my point of view as well. I know Wayne's a bluenose, but it's always great to see Scousers doing well for their country, no matter who they play for."

Notice the "no matter who they play for". No matter if they play for Liverpool or if they play for Chelsea. I totally agree with dave u here, even if Gerrard stays, I will never look at him the same way again.

You say you're not sure that it was Gerrard who started the 'winding'. What evidence is there to suggest that it was Parry other than wishful thinking - that our Stevie wouldn't do it to us? As opposed to the steady trickle of information telling us the opposite.

I don't have evidence, just like every other guy in here. Im just panting a different picture, just so we are holding every options open. As for the "easy world" comment; Thats exactly my point, these things almost never are what they seems. So the "Parry could be the bad guy" comes from a harder world than Gerrards "transfer request".

Whitout evidence.

But theres just no way i could see Parry playing at that.

First of all, it goes against everything he's said were trying to do.

Second, there's no player in the world we could sign that would make up the loss of Gerrard.

And it's way too dangerous for him to play that game.

The reasons for these things always leak out.

Should it leak out that parry forced Gerrard out of LFC for the money it would spell the end of Parrys career at the club.

But frankly, I'm sick of talking about him now. If he wants to go to Chelsea, he can fucking go. If he changes his mind and stays, fine. But either way, I'll never look at him the same way again. If it was any other player I could sort of understand it. But this is the captain of the club, and someone who we thought cared about the club as much as we do.

totally agree dave,ill be gutted if he goes,he is a hero of mine but he will be showing his true colours if he goes.

I think if he does there could be a big backlash and he has to be prepared for that,if he was such a red he would of come out on day one and said i love Liverpool im going nowhere but he didnt.even hansen thinks he's goin..

Guest Dancing Dave
But frankly, I'm sick of talking about him now. If he wants to go to Chelsea, he can fucking go. If he changes his mind and stays, fine. But either way, I'll never look at him the same way again. If it was any other player I could sort of understand it. But this is the captain of the club, and someone who we thought cared about the club as much as we do.

totally agree dave,ill be gutted if he goes,he is a hero of mine but he will be showing his true colours if he goes.

I think if he does there could be a big backlash and he has to be prepared for that,if he was such a red he would of come out on day one and said i love Liverpool im going nowhere but he didnt.even hansen thinks he's goin..

But why hate him if he stays??

But why hate him if he stays??

I won't hate him. I just won't respect hm as much as I did before. I always saw Stevie as one of us, a fanatical red. Whatever he decides to do now I don't see him in that way anymore. He's just another player, albeit a fucking brilliant one.

This was posted by Supared on RAWK.

The season has just finished and Steven Gerrard is not happy. The club he supported as a boy and captain's have really struggled in the last two years and have played poor football. He is stuck in a team where half the players couldn’t give a rat’s a*** and he is one of only two or three who give a [censored]. It was thought 12 months previous that we wouldn’t go through such a bad season again. Well that proved incorrect. Stevie thinks to himself 'I couldn’t cope with another 12 months of this, something has to be done'. So off he goes to see Rick Parry.

In the meeting he informs Rick that he is unhappy. He wants to play for a successful team and doesn’t want to end his career at 35 having stayed with the same club and won no major honours. All he wants is to play in a successful team. He goes on to say that the club needs to act, there needs to be an influx of 3 or 4 world class players. He also says that, without these world class players, he would have to think seriously about his future with Liverpool. Rick Parry takes all this on board.

Stevie leaves the meeting to go and prepare for England duty. He thinks to himself 'hopefully that will have shoved a rocket up their arses. Maybe now they will definitely do something about the situation. Things cant go on like they have been, we need better players.'

Rick Parry leaves the meeting a very worried man. He arranges a meeting with the board and informs them of what Stevie has said to him. Obviously they are all concerned. But rather than sanction major spending, on world class players, who may or may not be a hit, a decision is made that Houllier should leave. They will bring in a new man to instil fresh ideas and impetus into the players. Hopefully this will go someway to ease Gerrard's unhappiness. Hopefully this will show him they aren’t pleased either with the last 12 months.

Stevie goes off to England and prepares for the England games. Whilst he is out there he is under the FA's control. They have put in place a policy where the players can only meet with national tabloids. Also the only thing the players are allowed to discuss and answer questions on are to be England related. Club football is out of bounds.

Whilst this is happening some jumped up, over-opinionated, self obsessed, low life hack decides to start a rumour about Gerrard going to Chelsea. The guy is a Chelsea supporter and he wants Gerrard in his team. If a player like Gerrard can inspire an injury ravaged poor Liverpool side into fourth spot what could he have done at Chelsea? The guy salivates at the prospect and the fact Gerrard had committed himself to Liverpool means nothing to him as he gets to work rumour mongering.

The rumours spread like wild fire. Just like the vermin press many Liverpool supporters completely overlook the fact Gerard was happy to sign an extension to his contract earlier this year. They instead jump all over Gerrard. They are all raging. No matter what Gerrard does now he will be damned for eternity in their eyes. Why can’t Gerrard just come out and say something? Why cant Gerrard just open his mouth and let the supporters who love and adore him know his true intentions? "We have helped him be where he is today, we deserve better than to be hoodwinked" is the familiar cry. A large percentage of Liverpool's own fan base are seriously angered and now talk of Gerrard with pure hatred NOT love.

Back in his office at the daily rag the hack that started all this is smiling to himself. The plan is coming along nicely. Gerrard will soon be at Chelsea. The seeds I have sown are growing very nicely. Even if Gerrard had no intention of leaving there will be no point him staying if the supporters he plays for will never forgive him for something he hasn’t done. 'I love the power this job gives me, just love it.'

At Anfield Rick Parry has reached agreement with Benitez. An announcement is to be made to the press and every Liverpool supporter and player will be inspired by this turn of events. He allows himself a wry smile. Stevie should change his mind about being unhappy. He should be far happier to play here next season now I have brought in a manager with pedigree.

Steven Gerrard hears the news while in Portugal. He talks it over with Owen and Carragher and they are all pleased with the new appointment. They all agree the club should move onwards and upwards with Benitez. But they also are aware that Liverpool still needs to sign 3 or 4 world-class players. The donkeys that Gerrard carried last season need to be ousted. This hasn’t happened yet.

Rick Parry is sat in his office. He has sat and discussed matters with Benitez and a few players have been mentioned as prospective signings. Unfortunately the Thai deal has died a death and there's not as much money available as he had hoped. Beside Benitez is happy with the majority of the squad and only wants a few additions. This isn’t what Stevie wanted. So Rick decides to make a statement regarding Gerrard hoping it will make him rethink his demand for 3 or 4 players. Hoping that Stevie will no longer think Liverpool are going nowhere but are now thinking along his train of thought. Yet many Liverpool supporters jump on this as a sign that Gerrard does want to go. They are even more outraged. They are fuming.

Back at the daily rag the journo is rubbing his hands. Things are coming along very nicely.

In Portugal Gerrard is aware of what’s happening but two things are a problem here. Firstly he can’t talk to the press about club football, the FA have banned it. Secondly, he still wants a few world-class players to be signed. That hasn’t been achieved yet. If he was to come out and say "I'm staying put" and then get home to find there will be no knew players he will then look a right b*****d if he then decided to go. Bringing in Benitez was the right way to go. It has helped matters but there still needs to be new faces of real quality.

The supporters are getting themselves more and more wound up. The amount of hatred for Gerrard is now reaching astronomical proportions. Why doesn’t he just come out and say something, it must be true.

There is a press conference in Portugal and Gerrard is asked whether he is going to Chelsea. He declines to answer. Not because he wants to string the supporters at home along but because there is a ban imposed by the FA regarding talking about club matters. He also wants Liverpool to realise the importance of bringing in better quality and not to just rest on their laurels.

The whole saga is spiralling out of control and Gerrard who had no real intention of leaving is now becoming public enemy number one. The likelihood of him leaving is now increasing by the day. Not because he wants to go but because the hatred and vitriol from his own fans will ensure he can’t stay. The press have used the England set-up and ban on talking club football to their advantage. The longer England stay in Portugal the more intense and hate filled the Liverpool supporters will become. The outcome is almost assured. Steven Gerrard will be forced out of Anfield by the hate filled mob.

At the daily rag the hack sits stroking the cat on his lap. He is a very happy man. 'I love it when a plan comes together' he muses.

The above is a fictitious account of what may have occurred or be occurring right now. Many Liverpool supporters have jumped to the conclusion that Gerrard is leaving. My first thought was, and still is, that it makes no sense. Why would he commit months ago when the club was in an even worse situation? Why would he fight tooth and nail to ensure we played Champions League footy if he didn’t want to be here? Why did he meet with Parry and implore him to bring in better quality players? Why would he leave his boyhood team, which he now captains? Why would he choose of all the teams to go to Chelsea? Many players are turning them down due to the intense competition for places. Chelsea already have Lampard, Cole, Duff, Parker, Makelele, Stanic, Geremi, Oliveira and Robben. They are also reported to be after Deco and Joaquin. Why sign for them with that amount of quality competition?

Like I said it doesn’t make sense. Yet many have jumped all over this rumour and decided the guy is guilty. They base this on the fact that he hasn’t said a word. Yet he is currently on international duty. That in itself is enough to cut the guy some slack. The fact he is also banned from discussing club football also plays a part. When England are home then we will know what's happening. If he is to go then and only then should he be judged. What worries me is that many supporters have decided he has burnt bridges even if he wasn’t going all along. And all because he hasn’t come out and said something.

Owen has gotten the same treatment. Yet Gerrard actually committed to Liverpool earlier this season. That in itself should be enough to keep the supporters happy. If Gerrard did come out and say his future was with Liverpool, but rumours started doing the rounds again next week, he would be expected to do the same again. Why should he? Why should the one player who has worn his heart on his sleeve and pulled the club kicking and screaming into Champions League qualification, who has sweated for this club and who has committed himself by signing a new deal, still be expected to constantly pander to the supporters by talking down every rumour. He wouldn’t be able to do anything else if that was the case.

I think some supporters need to wind their necks in. Until Gerrard has officially stated he wants out or has actually left he hasn’t committed a crime. So don’t treat him like he has. Otherwise that low life Chelsea supporting hack will have gotten what he wants in the end by default. Is that what you want?

I am sure Gerrard will stay. Like I have already said it doesn’t make sense for him to leave now when we are about to embark on a new dawn. I am sure he will at least give the manager one season to see how things go. But why would he if the majority of supporters decide to lower their support for him just because he didn’t, for the umpteenth time, pledge his future to the club. And just because he didn’t break FA rules and speak out about it. Because he waited to see what new faces where in place first before saying something. If he commits then Parry will take this as being off the hook. Yet many Liverpool supporters know we need a few new faces of real quality. Gerrard could just be using the player power he has to force the clubs hand. Owen was being praised for doing this yet Gerrard isn’t being afforded the same thing.

IF its true and Gerrard does leave only then will my view of him change. In the mean time nothing has changed. Gerrard is still a Liverpool player, the clubs captain and a boyhood red. But IF he does go it isn’t the end of the world. Lets make that clear. Liverpool WILL get by and WILL improve. The money could even buy a very good solid team. But its all IF's and BUT's. Cut the guy some slack until we know more.

Guest Scousewegian

Can this forum sink any lower????

Idiots on here claiming they will never look at him the same way again???

WTF!!

He is banned about talking club football but if this forum has its way he will be hounded out for nothing.

What next??? S****N G*****D

Another disgraceful episode in this joke of a forums history.

Banned from talking about the club? Does it not apply to Lampard too who just said this? The tapping up of England players a day after Terry said Chelsea must sign Rooney is an absolute disgrace.

"Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player," Lampard said. "I think our partnership works really well.

"He is another one Chelsea are in for and any player who strengthens our squad and team will be welcome."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...and/3822115.stm

Have you got any friends? If so, how do they cope with your insufferable "hollier than thou" attitude? The fact is, this is an extremely emotive issue and therefore people are emotional about it.

Are you telling me that in Steven Gerrard's shoes right now you would handle this situation in the same way he is doing? If so, I don't know how you can call yourself a Red. He is fully aware of the effect his deafening silence is having on the fans back home, yet he steadfastly refuses to comment. I'm sorry, ban or no ban, if I was him and these rumours were newspaper shit-stirring, I'd go to Erickson and ask for permission to do an exclusive for The Echo. If he said no, I'd do it anyway (or off the record, at the very least).

And this crap about trying to force the board into top class signings is ridiculous. When he signed his new deal he was given a verbal agreement that he could go if he wasn't happy. Therefore he doesn't need to carry on like this simply to convince the board. They already know how he feels and have actively sought his views on all the changes and potential changes going on at the club right now.

I'm not saying I hate Steven Gerrard or anything like that. I'm simply saying this situation has dragged on for a week with his full knowledge and he's done nothing about it. To my mind that is incredibly disrespectful to the millions of Reds worldwide who worship him as a player; and coming from a man who calls himself a fan, it is verging on the callous.

This whole thing smacks of someone who is starting to regard himself as bigger than the club. Even Dalglish wasn't that, and Stevie's still got a long way to go before he reaches that status in the pantheon of Liverpool greats. The sad thing is, he has the potential to reach that level, yet he seems intent on preventing that from ever happening.

I hope more than anything that Steven Gerrard stays at Liverpool, but with each day that passes it looks ever more unlikely. However, even if he does, I feel very let down by him for being put through this.

The fact of matter is yes they might be banned from talking about club football but it don't fucking take a genius to work out that there is certain things a player can say and certain ways to say it.

I WILL BE AT LIVERPOOL NEXT SEASON. BUT I AM ON ENGLAND DUTY AND NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON PLAYING FOR MY COUNTRY SO ASK ME QUESTIONS ON THAT PLEASE!!

I would quote that message from RAWK......but what a load of bollocks i'm not even going to waste my time!!!!

Can this forum sink any lower????

Idiots on here claiming they will never look at him the same way again???

WTF!!

He is banned about talking club football but if this forum has its way he will be hounded out for nothing.

What next??? S****N G*****D

Another disgraceful episode in this joke of a forums history.

So you have finally crawled out of your hole in the ground again to delight us with your fantastic insight........

While this board was full of optimism, you stay away.. hmm I wonder why. Have you ever posted anything constructive? No, so why do you keep visiting here if you despise this forum so much. You are a sad case..

Yes, even if Stevie stayed I would see him in a different light. I wouldn't hate him by any means, but his hero status would be long gone. As captain of Liverpool fc. he has a big duty, which he seems to be taking rather too lightly... And if you think he couldn't have come out and unequivocally denied the rumours, then you are very deluded or just plain stupid.......

The fact is that you have been clutching at straws recently to find something to slag this forum off about......If you think that Stevie's behaviour is acceptable then you are a tit.