You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I Yeah, will definitely find a good shop and go for a fitting before actually buying. Will look at the elite.

I've managed to talk myself up from around 350 quid, so why not another couple of hun'erd?

I Yeah, will definitely find a good shop and go for a fitting before actually buying. Will look at the elite.

I've managed to talk myself up from around 350 quid, so why not another couple of hun'erd?

They even let me take my bike out for a 'test ride' before buying where I got mine...and I was sold

L19 Red is the person to ask. He's seriously into his cycling.

I bought a road bike last year. The difference between that and my hybrid was a real surprise. Someone said to me the differnce between the two bikes was like a Ford and a Ferrari and although I've never driven a Ferrari but I could see what they meant.

This is the bike I got. Bought it on interest free credit the shop was offering. £50 a month over a year.

Specialized Secteur Sport Triple 2011

UBqmFDxXXMHSYLsGr7HA5F0ccy0gEa4-y-I4W_XfqgI_mOg1rMHzvlkJv04Pmtx0hfs4zl3P92Q57rW6N_T-x8XZD6F0bsT4JibejE9uk-N_One1IJc9sEZTZJ4U5pAS8xOnblWWktorBXjyhUgydPY1Vgx1EBq47W28YCxF

You anywhere near Liverpool NV ?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Alas not. Working dahn sahf at the moment. Travel around, though, depending on what I'm working on. Where do you recommend?

Alas not. Working dahn sahf at the moment. Travel around, though, depending on what I'm working on. Where do you recommend?
If your anywhere near Liverpool, I'd highly recommend Quins on Edge Lane. I got both my bikes from them. They've even talked me out of spending money didn't need to.

I'd defo recommend contacting L19 Red too.

Mountain bikes. Bike Shop Liverpool. Specialized bikes. BMX bikes

• 2 months later...
What do those of you guys who know what you're talking about think of this?

Dawes Giro 200 2012 Road Bike | Evans Cycles

I'd be a little concerned about an aluminium frame bike in that price range.

What kind of riding are you looking to do ? I've ridden aluminium frames almost exclusively when touring, but that is when weight was a significant issue. If you haven't tried an aluminium bike, you will find it very stiff at first, and then over time start to lose it's strength. I even had my last aluminium frame break on me after a couple of years, and I think it was because it was cheaper quality.

The components on that bike are the low end shimano, but again if it is for recreational use, then fine.

If you have more money, spend it on the best you can get. If that is your budget, then I would look at a more durable (and likely less expensive) steel frame.

Mainly for just going out for a couple of hours to try and shift some of the weight I'm putting on mate.

Possibly use it for work a bit too.

If your just looking to ride on your own and lose a bit of weight, then a steel frame will certainly be a good choice. It will be like riding a Sherman tank, although you wont notice unless you are going to ride with people who are on aluminium bikes.

If you are going to be riding with others then I would recommend you buy an aluminium bike, as you will find you will be much slower than the others trying to keep up on a steel bike.

If your just looking to ride on your own and lose a bit of weight, then a steel frame will certainly be a good choice. It will be like riding a Sherman tank, although you wont notice unless you are going to ride with people who are on aluminium bikes.

If you are going to be riding with others then I would recommend you buy an aluminium bike, as you will find you will be much slower than the others trying to keep up on a steel bike.

I'll be riding with a mate who has a nice bike (expensive) but neither of us are going to be joining a club or anything.

I'll be riding with a mate who has a nice bike (expensive) but neither of us are going to be joining a club or anything.

Buy an aluminium bike because even though the pair of you will not be racing or anything your cruising speed will be less than his as your bike will be heavier. I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking or anything, that would have just been an isolated incident, but I would recommend you buy an aluminium bike.

Buy an aluminium bike because even though the pair of you will not be racing or anything your cruising speed will be less than his as your bike will be heavier. I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking or anything, that would have just been an isolated incident, but I would recommend you buy an aluminium bike.

Cheers, they have an offer of 50 quid cash back on any old shitty bike you trade in too.

So £250 sounds pretty good to me.

Cheers, they have an offer of 50 quid cash back on any old shitty bike you trade in too.

So £250 sounds pretty good to me.

£250 is a bargain and if it's only for getting out for a couple of hours a week and maybe getting to and from work then you can't go far wrong for that price.

Get the best quality frame you can. You can then always upgrade the other components on an individual basis if you decide you want to invest in your bike

More about budget than quality at the moment mate.

Looking at upgrading golf clubs, booking holidays, a few trips north next se@son and hoping to cut down on the overtime I've been working.

If I get the bug and carry on with it over the autumn and winter (real test I should imagine) then I'll be more than happy to upgrade next spring.

£250 is a bargain and if it's only for getting out for a couple of hours a week and maybe getting to and from work then you can't go far wrong for that price.

Hopefully it'll be more than a couple of hours a week (well it needs to be with these fucking steroids) and the quack reckons I need to be cycling and swimming more instead of running or playing another sport that can't be mentioned but that ain't going to happen.

Thing is I reckon I could get home from work on a bike in about 5 minutes, it'd take me well over an hour to get in though it's that bloody steep.

Hopefully it'll be more than a couple of hours a week (well it needs to be with these fucking steroids) and the quack reckons I need to be cycling and swimming more instead of running or playing another sport that can't be mentioned but that ain't going to happen.

Thing is I reckon I could get home from work on a bike in about 5 minutes, it'd take me well over an hour to get in though it's that bloody steep.

Cycling is great fun and you do catch the bug, you will be surprised how many miles you can do on a bike, and you get out in the countryside which is also a bonus. Even riding in the winter months can be great fun, and cycling is very good for you and it does cater for all fitness levels in so much as however fit or unfit you maybe you can still have fun participating.

The one thing that will annoy you riding your bike is motorists, some of them are fucking arseholes, but apart from that its a laugh.

I presume the steroids you are on will make you gain weight and you therefore have to take up a sport that will help keep your weight in check. What was the other sport golf or football?

More about budget than quality at the moment mate.

If I get the bug and carry on with it over the autumn and winter (real test I should imagine) then I'll be more than happy to upgrade next spring.

That's where I'm at really. Even 'budget' was a massive step up from what I had been riding. I love it but can already see the advantage of a better gear system (I tell myself it makes me work harder). It wont be money wasted for the workout it gives you even if you decide to upgrade it quite quickly

That's where I'm at really. Even 'budget' was a massive step up from what I had been riding. I love it but can already see the advantage of a better gear system (I tell myself it makes me work harder). It wont be money wasted for the workout it gives you even if you decide to upgrade it quite quickly

Before you buy new gears buy new wheels as that will give you more of a performance boost.

Cycling is great fun and you do catch the bug, you will be surprised how many miles you can do on a bike, and you get out in the countryside which is also a bonus. Even riding in the winter months can be great fun, and cycling is very good for you and it does cater for all fitness levels in so much as however fit or unfit you maybe you can still have fun participating.

The one thing that will annoy you riding your bike is motorists, some of them are fucking arseholes, but apart from that its a laugh.

I presume the steroids you are on will make you gain weight and you therefore have to take up a sport that will help keep your weight in check. What was the other sport golf or football?

We live in the country mate and there are loads of brilliant rides around here. Always lots of barneys going on with motorists and even more between cyclists and horse riders.

I'm on steroids for my ankles mate, I've put on almost 3 stone now!

I can still play golf but have been told to cycle and swim instead of running or playing f**tball as it has less impact on my ankles.

I'm still playing though, couldn't give it up if I even bothered trying.