You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should have gone this morning...I'm going to get all wet now.....

You never learn do you!

It just rains a lot....it's always worse when you're just looking at it from inside. Once you're wet you're wet....

I enjoyed it once I got out but there were quite a lot of midgies about...that wasnt nice

I'm tempted to apply for the RideLondon 100m event... just not sure how much training would be involved

Home Page

It depends how fast you want to ride it and how strong your pain tolerance is.

2* 60 minure rides in the week after work and a longer ride on the weekends building up from 2 hours to 4-5 hours. Do that for 6 months and you'll be ok for a century around London. it will take you 7 hours or so but you'll make it round. The more training you do after that the faster your time will be.

Edited by L19red

More importantly, how was your trip?

Good to see you back safely....dangerous place those Alps

It was fantastic, I made it through Annecy no problem. All the climbs were great and very different challenges.

Cormet de Roseland is fantastic beautiful climb in picture postcard alps complete with cow bells ringing along the way. I really enjoyed both sides, but Col du Pre in the middle was a different story, the hardest climb I've ever done. The top 5k averages 10% and it wiped me out, probably hadn't drunk enough so got bad cramp, not good when 40k from home and still the second ascent of Roseland to come but a bit of rest and a lot of jelly babies got me home.

Petit St Bernard is a very long climb 30k, but average was only about 5-6% so pretty comfortable until the very top when it got quite exposed and had to battle a headwind. The plato di formaggio i prosciutto at the refuge on the italian side of the border was great and when I was out of the wind it was almost sunbathing weather. Didnt see any St Bernards but I could hear them making a racket in their kennels about something.

Col d'Iseran is the highest proper paved mountain pass in Europe (Col de la Bonnette is a con) so was good to tick that box. Started in Val d'Isere and its enjoyable all the way until the last 2k when it gets a bit more exposed and the altitude really kicks in. I had the same experience on the Galibier last year, the tipping pint for me is about 2500m and after that the thin air really starts to affect me. Made it to the top though and the view south towards Mount Cenis is fantastic.

Col de la Croix de Fer is still my favourite climb, but the Cormet de Roseland is not far behind.

I'm tempted to apply for the RideLondon 100m event... just not sure how much training would be involved

Home Page

It depends how fast you want to ride it and how strong your pain tolerance is.

2* 60 minure rides in the week after work and a longer ride on the weekends building up from 2 hours to 4-5 hours. Do that for 6 months and you'll be ok for a century around London. it will take you 7 hours or so but you'll make it round. The more training you do after that the faster your time will be.

Still not put off. Fuck it. I'm going to put my name into the ballot and see what happens

If you dont get in then this website lists all the big sportives, bound to be plenty near you.

Cyclosport.org - Events in January 2013 - UK

Thanks for that. In fact the Glasgow-Edinburgh Challenge that I did a couple of weeks ago has a Sportive route so if I dont get into the London event I will probably go for that...just fancy the idea of doing the route which uses some of the same roads used in the Olympics

Oh, and its the 4th progamme in the Road to Glory series tonight, the Tour de France. Have really enjoyed this series, some fascinating insights into the attention to detail in Brailsford's approach and some of the individuals involved, not least Dave Brailsford (would love it hear his views on Victoria Pendleton btw)