You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I saw who he brought to mind for you...I'm not so sure. Comes across as incredibly focussed with an obsessive eye for detail and desire to win but I think he came across as a lot warmer than that although its not hard to see why he doesnt live with anyone.

I liked seeing all those details in the second episode

Maybe although Brailsford appears different in having created a big team to work with him

That's where he reminded me of Woodward. Woodward didn't even coach at international level, he brought in the best coaches, physics, back room staff, technology etc and orchestrated it all.

Braislford is fascinating to listen to and I enjoyed playing psychologist watching the programme.

I go on Friday lunchtime.

The plan is Cormet de Roseland and Col du Pre On Saturday

Garmin Connect - Cormet de Roseland

Montee d'Hautville and Col de Petit Saint Bernard on Sunday

Garmin Connect - Col de Petit Saint Bernard

then the big one on Monday, Col d'Iseran

Garmin Connect - Col D'Iseran

Have a ball.....and keep your eyes on the road ;)

Anyone been lucky enough to get out to see The Tour of Britain ?

it's finishing in my manor, so I'll be traipsing down to watch them on the cobbles of Guildford high street. They're doing a figure of 8 on the last day, so they'll come through the town centre twice. It'll be a nightmare if it's raining. Uphill on cobbles with a steep camber.

This $9 cardboard bike can support riders up to 485lbs

Not exactly of the sporting type, but this is sure to revolutionise transport in poor developing countries and maybe even much closer to home for the novelty value. Looks rather clunky and unwieldy - the handlebars and saddle in particular. There is a video on the link that's a vital watch. It's Vimeo and not YouTube, so I don't know how to embed it or if it can be done.

While it may be designed to cost $9 to make, the big question is what would it retail for. While it's rather an ugly duckling, I can certainly see the cult appeal and the hype causing great demand.

What I'd love to know is, considering it's made from cardboard, how it would fare in a downpour. There appears to be a gloss finish on it which may take care of it, but how do you get a gloss finish on cardboard?

When I see Bradley Wiggins chugging along on one in the Tour de France, I'll know it's time to get one. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

inline-ICB.jpg

This $9 Cardboard Bike Can Support Riders Up To 485lbs

INNOVATION BY DESIGN

IT’S 100% RECYCLED AND VERY LIGHTWEIGHT, WITH A FRAME THAT’S STRONGER THAN CARBON FIBER.

Izhar Gafni has designed award winning industrial machines for peeling pomegranates and sewing shoes. He’s also a bike enthusiast who’s designed a lot of carbon fiber rigs. But one day, he’d heard about someone who’d built a cardboard canoe. The idea drilled its way into his consciousness, and ultimately, led him to create a cardboard bike called the Alfa.

The Alfa weighs 20lbs, yet supports riders up to 24 times its weight. It’s mostly cardboard and 100% recycled materials, yet uses a belt-driven pedal system that makes it maintenance free. And, maybe best of all, it’s project designed to be manufactured at about $9 to $12 per unit (and just $5 for a kids version), making it not only one of the most sustainable bikes you could imagine, but amongst the cheapest, depending on the markup.

[Video goes here, but unable to embed]

But as the above video documents, the design process was arduous. Engineers told Gafni that his idea was impossible. Yet he realized that paper could be strong if treated properly. As in crafting origami and tearing telephone books, he explains, “[if] you fold it once, and it’s not just twice the strength, it’s three times the strength.”

The development to what you see today took three years. Two were spent just figuring out the cardboard complications--leading to several patents--and the last was spent converting a cardboard box on wheels to a relatively normal looking bike.

At the moment, Gafni is working with a company to raise the funds to finalize manufacturing processes for his adult and child bikes and then actually put them into production. And if they’re able to pull this off, and the Alfa is everything it’s promised to be, it could be an absolutely paradigm-shifting idea in the transportation industry.

Bikes are amongst the most efficient transportation systems in the planet, converting up to 99% of a person’s power into mobility that’s up to five times faster than walking. Imagine the impact for developing nations, assuming the Alfa (or a derivative) could handle itself on unpaved roads--especially when fitted with an optional small motor upgrade to enhance range--or what you could do in a small school district where every child could be given a bike in place of a few days of school-bus gas.

Then again, the best way to score yourself a recycled bike is just to go to a pawn shop and buy one used. No doubt, it’s a little less design-spectacular, but $10 sure can go a long way at a good old garage sale.

it's finishing in my manor, so I'll be traipsing down to watch them on the cobbles of Guildford high street. They're doing a figure of 8 on the last day, so they'll come through the town centre twice. It'll be a nightmare if it's raining. Uphill on cobbles with a steep camber.

At least half a dozen will hit the deck.

Just watched it now.

I enjoyed the fact they covered the Domestiques in detail and paid tribute to them but it now only leaves two episodes to cover the whole of TdF and the Olympics.

Its been a good series...what an all consuming life...don't like the narrator's voice. Like you say, the next 2 episodes deserve series of their own

Its been a good series...what an all consuming life...don't like the narrator's voice. Like you say, the next 2 episodes deserve series of their own

You know the yanks wife is going to be pissed when he joins the technical support of a pro cycling team. No way is he going back to civvy street.

Hadn't really noticed the narrator's voice which is always a good sign to me.