You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hey, all you pedal guys.

Can someone explain to me about pedals and shit?

I have the normal flat BMX type pedals, and want to get the "proper" ones. Haven't a notion on what I should be getting though!

I've been trying to read up on things, but between cleats, floating, spd, spd sl, and a load of other shit, I haven't a clue.

I could go to the local sports shop, but I'd literally pay almost twice the price of the online stores.

Nice one.

Here is a set of pedals that will do the average Joe, they are SPD-SL.

Shimano 105 SL Pedals 5700 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Here are a load of shoes as well, which are quite cheap, I think with Shimano you have to buy a size bigger as they are quite small sizes, or you can take the risk and send them back if they don't fit.

shoes road | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks Saxon.

They're going on a road bike, so the first ones are the ones I'll be going for.

So basically if I go for those SPD-SL pedals, I need to get SPD-SL compatible shoes? Or did I see somewhere that you can buy an adaptor so SPD shoes will fit the SPD-SL pedals?

And what are cleats, and where do they fit into the whole scheme of things?

Thanks Saxon.

They're going on a road bike, so the first ones are the ones I'll be going for.

So basically if I go for those SPD-SL pedals, I need to get SPD-SL compatible shoes? Or did I see somewhere that you can buy an adaptor so SPD shoes will fit the SPD-SL pedals?

And what are cleats, and where do they fit into the whole scheme of things?

The Shimano Shoes that I have provided a link for below the pedal link will fit the SPD-SL shoes, and you will find that they generally fit both. Just read the shoe description to make sure.

You will get cleats with the pedals, and they screw onto the shoe then you clip those into the pedals. You can alter the amount of pressure you need to get in and out of your pedals with a screw driver. You will need to get used to clipping in and out of your pedals, and also beware that as easy as it is to end up on your arse, because of that you can also end up under a bus. Just use common sense while riding your bike and you will be fine, and remember that you cannot just put your foot down which can be dangerous.

Ah ok, cool.

So the shoes come falt-soled, and the pedals comes with adaptors (cleats) that fit onto the shoe? So you can change your pedals whenever without necessarily having to change your shoes...just the cleats underneath?

If all that's right, I'm laughin'.

Defo fancy those 105 pedals. They'd match the running gear on the bike.

Called over to the local shop there to see what they had. They didn't have the 105 pedals, but they had these Shimano R540 SPD-SL for the princely sum of €55 ie. €3 more than the 105!

They also had these Shimano Ultegra pedals for €145!

Ah ok, cool.

So the shoes come falt-soled, and the pedals comes with adaptors (cleats) that fit onto the shoe? So you can change your pedals whenever without necessarily having to change your shoes...just the cleats underneath?

If all that's right, I'm laughin'.

Defo fancy those 105 pedals. They'd match the running gear on the bike.

Called over to the local shop there to see what they had. They didn't have the 105 pedals, but they had these Shimano R540 SPD-SL for the princely sum of €55 ie. €3 more than the 105!

They also had these Shimano Ultegra pedals for €145!

I presume you are in Southern Ireland and Chain Reaction Cycles are based in Belfast, and the postage is free to Ireland.

Postage Information

I would still buy the 105's, as the 105's are much better than the ones your local shop has, and they are cheaper. Even the Ultegra are cheaper in Chain reaction, so where ever you are in Europe the postage is only a couple of quid.

As for changing the pedals, well yes you can but only for pedals that have the same cleat pattern as the shoes, but I don't see any reason why you would want to change the pedals. But all Shimano pedals will have the same cleat pattern.

Dunno if I did good or bad, but I just made a purchase.

I went for your pedals and I went for these shoes

Got them from Merlin Cycles in the UK, who were offering free delivery on orders over £100. So I went and order 2 pairs of these socks to fill out the order.

So the whole lot came to €127.50 delivered.

Just hope I didn't fuck up!

Dunno if I did good or bad, but I just made a purchase.

I went for your pedals and I went for these shoes

Got them from Merlin Cycles in the UK, who were offering free delivery on orders over £100. So I went and order 2 pairs of these socks to fill out the order.

So the whole lot came to €127.50 delivered.

Just hope I didn't fuck up!

The Shoes and the pedals are compatible, and the socks are fine as well, most online cycle shops offer free delivery regardless of price, although it isn't normally next day. I would say you got a good deal there as they are cheaper than Chain reaction.

There are loads of good online shops so it is always a good idea to shop around as you can save a few bob.

Wiggle

Cycle | Run | Swim | Wiggle Tri-Sports & Bike Shop

Tredz

Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | Cycle Clothing | Tredz Online Bike Shop

Ribble Cycles (good for buying inner tubes in bulk)

Buy Road Bikes & Parts at Ribble Cycles | UK Online Bike Shop

Are you in Ireland?

Mainly flat witha couple of short sharp hills. I say hills, they were more like slopes.

So it took you over 2 and a half hours?

For 22km?

No offence intended here LF, but you are either incredibly slow, you had to stop at millions of traffic lights, or your calculations have gone wrong a bit here.

Daft cunt

And a man clearly comfortable in his own skin....posting figures like that...or maybe just not very good at maths?

I shouldnt laugh but that is the beauty of a computer that you fit to your handlebars and tracks your wheel rotation....when the bike's not moving it stops and you can see at glance exactly how fast your going along your route

Depending on what you were using, normally those trackers show you the length of time you were stopped. So subtract that from your total time, divide the 22 by your new time, and you shouldn't look like such a Cartman!

And a man clearly comfortable in his own skin....posting figures like that...or maybe just not very good at maths?

I shouldnt laugh but that is the beauty of a computer that you fit to your handlebars and tracks your wheel rotation....when the bike's not moving it stops and you can see at glance exactly how fast your going along your route

I had the tracker on my phone put had music playing on it too, when I got to Folksy's I just pulled the headphones out and forgot to pause the tracker.

I hadn't gone stupidly fast, far from it. Hence the piss take comment about Wiggins.

I hadn't gone stupidly fast, far from it. Hence the piss take comment about Wiggins.

But even so it didnt occur to you that the av speed you thought you had done was less than a sixth of what we had discussed was Wiggins' average speed in his road time trial?

But even so it didnt occur to you that the av speed you thought you had done was less than a sixth of what we had discussed was Wiggins' average speed in his road time trial?

I got home and sat in a cold bath eating ice pops watching the Olympics on my phone, wasn't paying attention.