You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm with Fan here. Gotta have the choons for pedalling along. Better yet is getting a cycling buddy. Did a 50k last weekend with the brother-in-law, and really didn't notice the miles passing.

The next quandary I have is pedals and shoes. At the minute I have normal pedals and runners. Would clippy pedals and clippy shoes make a difference?

they make a huge difference to both comfort and performance. They make it easier to pedal as you are attached to the pedal, so you get a stroke by lifting your leg as well as pushing down. but you also have a much more comfortable platform to pedal on. Your foot stays flat as you pedal so you don't get sore feet, so they are much better.

Just get used to clipping and unclipping as you can't just take your foot of the pedal and touch the floor, so not only can you end up on your arse you can also end up under a car.

I'm with Fan here. Gotta have the choons for pedalling along. Better yet is getting a cycling buddy. Did a 50k last weekend with the brother-in-law, and really didn't notice the miles passing.

The next quandary I have is pedals and shoes. At the minute I have normal pedals and runners. Would clippy pedals and clippy shoes make a difference?

More comfortable and you can pull on the upcycle as well as push on the down so much more efficient power transfer.

You will forget you are wearing them and fall off once when you get them everyone does.

Just been out for the first time, didn't go stupid so did ten miles in about half an hour.

A few things I've learnt are;

Don't rid down kerbs - road bikes don't have suspension

Road bikes hurt your hands and elbows

Riding in hailstones ain't fun &

Its possible to get blisters on your bollocks!

Well in, great oaks from small acorns grown.

bunny hop over kerbs and land it on two wheels

you are in a new position you'll get a few aches until your body gets used to it

There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

If you are getting rubbing then padded shorts and chamois cream.

Lose the iPod, you need your wits about you on the road.

Just been out for the first time, didn't go stupid so did ten miles in about half an hour.

A few things I've learnt are;

Don't rid down kerbs - road bikes don't have suspension

Road bikes hurt your hands and elbows

Riding in hailstones ain't fun &

Its possible to get blisters on your bollocks!

Nice one, Col. That's faster than I go.

I am just off on a thirty miler.

Guys - post your Strava user names on here so I can follow you.

85k run out to Ashurst Beacon this morning, 1 thunderstorm dodged, 1 not so lucky.

1 puncture on the fucking raller, is there a worse piece of tarmac anywhere than the liverpool loop from Muirhead to Aintree? Every exit the tarmac is potholed and covered in the lumpy remnants of melted purple bins, in between the exists its like there has been a contest between the scallies and the drunks to see who can smash the most bottles. Twats.

85k run out to Ashurst Beacon this morning, 1 thunderstorm dodged, 1 not so lucky.

1 puncture on the fucking raller, is there a worse piece of tarmac anywhere than the liverpool loop from Muirhead to Aintree? Every exit the tarmac is potholed and covered in the lumpy remnants of melted purple bins, in between the exists its like there has been a contest between the scallies and the drunks to see who can smash the most bottles. Twats.

Would it not be practical to use things such as that slime stuff or something similar, in your tyres for a bit of practicality even if it means a bit of a drop in speed?

I've never seen a road in Britain yet that looks suitable for cycling with anything other than JCB tyres.

Is Ashurst the one that has a pub at the top were you wait in the car park for everyone, and one of the cycle clubs has a time trail up there once a year? On the way down the other side it also takes you through skem, or by the Wheatsheaf on the Rainford bypass?

Is Ashurst the one that has a pub at the top were you wait in the car park for everyone, and one of the cycle clubs has a time trail up there once a year? On the way down the other side it also takes you through skem, or by the Wheatsheaf on the Rainford bypass?

yes, The Beacon at Dalton

I did the easy side today from Upholland, its much toughter from Ashley Bridge side.

Would it not be practical to use things such as that slime stuff or something similar, in your tyres for a bit of practicality even if it means a bit of a drop in speed?

I've never seen a road in Britain yet that looks suitable for cycling with anything other than JCB tyres.

I do about 5000 miles a year and probably get about 3 punctures, its a pain in the arse when it happens but I carry a spare tube so its really only 10 minutes to fix and for me the additional rolling resistance is not worth it.

yes, The Beacon at Dalton

I did the easy side today from Upholland, its much toughter from Ashley Bridge side.

It is a good laugh going down through Ashley bridge though, cause it's down one hill dead fast, then up to the beacon.

What's the other steep hill at the back of the Wheatssheaf, isn't it Shaley Rise or something? Remember going up that in the winter but pedalling on the grids. My bike practically stopped and I was free wheeling. Luckily I didn't stop and was able to keep going but it would have been a nightmare trying to get going again.

Do you generally stay in Lancashire or do you head into Cheshire and into North Wales?

It is a good laugh going down through Ashley bridge though, cause it's down one hill dead fast, then up to the beacon.

What's the other steep hill at the back of the Wheatssheaf, isn't it Shaley Rise or something? Remember going up that in the winter but pedalling on the grids. My bike practically stopped and I was free wheeling. Luckily I didn't stop and was able to keep going but it would have been a nightmare trying to get going again.

Do you generally stay in Lancashire or do you head into Cheshire and into North Wales?

I work in knutsford so do a fair bit around cheshire. Occassionally go to north Wales. Alps in September, can't wait.

Very technical for mere commuter mortals, but a good insight into the equipment involved in a Tour de France and Olympics time trials.

Bradley Wiggins' Tour-de-France and Olympic bikes

I'd never have imagined that power cranks would anything but perfectly circular, but that may be just me showing my ignorance of cycling technology. This pic had me stumped.

1343646742230-gpd8c7115a36-670-75.jpgOuter view of the SRM mounted Osymetric rings, and also a black chain catcher fitted to the front derailleur clamp bolt

© Robin Wilmott/Bikeradar

1343646742224-1h09ck1v4oor6-670-75.jpgRear view of Wiggins's SRM power crank mounted Osymetric chain rings. We believe the bike was fitted with Ultimate Ceramic Bearings

Very technical for mere commuter mortals' date=' but a good insight into the equipment involved in a Tour de France and Olympics time trials.

Bradley Wiggins' Tour-de-France and Olympic bikes

I'd never have imagined that power cranks would anything but perfectly circular, but that may be just me showing my ignorance of cycling technology. This pic had me stumped.

1343646742230-gpd8c7115a36-670-75.jpgOuter view of the SRM mounted Osymetric rings, and also a black chain catcher fitted to the front derailleur clamp bolt

1343646742224-1h09ck1v4oor6-670-75.jpgRear view of Wiggins's SRM power crank mounted Osymetric chain rings. We believe the bike was fitted with Ultimate Ceramic Bearings

Apparently the reason is because if you are a tall rider then you have points when you are getting no momentum from your leg movements, but if you use an oval crank then you have no black spots in your motion. I think this is a problem that effects tall riders only, that is why you only see Wiggo using them.

I thought he only had asymmetric chainrings on his Time Trial bike. Not the most reliable bit of kit, he nearly lost a stage of Paris-Nice this year because the chain came off.

There are a few riders who have them for TT, Froome, Millar, and Janez Brajkovic spring to mind

That Maclaren garage has not long reopened and its got a horrible orange thing in the window.

Edited by L19red

He only has those asymmetric chainrings on his Time Trial bike. Not the most reliable bit of kit either, he nearly lost a stage of Paris-Nice this year because the chain came off.

There are a few riders who have them, Froome, Millar, and Janez Brajkovic spring to mind

That Maclaren garage has not long reopened and its got a horrible orange thing in the window.

Didn't he use them on the tour in 2009, and aren't they also prone to snapping the chain as the shape causes the stretch a lot more?