You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The homestay I'm staying at in Vietnam has really crappy bicycles for guests so my plan on this trip was to use one to get fit and try to lose some of my surplus pounds.

Hoian is not too bad for cycling - the motorbikes are probably crazier than most of Vn (which is quite an accomplishment)but there aren't as many and there are very few hills.

Its the first time I've ridden a bike in over 50 years so I'm very impressed with myself. The weight loss isn't going as well as I'd hoped due to the humungous appetite that I seem to have developed. Also something tragic seems to have happened to my knees over the years, really painful after a day on the bike.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, Evelyn Tentions said:

The homestay I'm staying at in Vietnam has really crappy bicycles for guests so my plan on this trip was to use one to get fit and try to lose some of my surplus pounds.

Hoian is not too bad for cycling - the motorbikes are probably crazier than most of Vn (which is quite an accomplishment)but there aren't as many and there are very few hills.

Its the first time I've ridden a bike in over 50 years so I'm very impressed with myself. The weight loss isn't going as well as I'd hoped due to the humungous appetite that I seem to have developed. Also something tragic seems to have happened to my knees over the years, really painful after a day on the bike.

Just reading this now. I get the 'knees' thing if I do a longer ride than I'm/they're used to. It's more of an ache rather than pain but it only seems to last a few hours and then I'm ok again.

I had it in my head to a decent ride tomorrow morning but then my friend's just messaged me to say she's free but only wants to do a shorter ride. I should have kept my big mouth shut.

11 hours ago, Champ said:

Just reading this now. I get the 'knees' thing if I do a longer ride than I'm/they're used to. It's more of an ache rather than pain but it only seems to last a few hours and then I'm ok again.

I had it in my head to a decent ride tomorrow morning but then my friend's just messaged me to say she's free but only wants to do a shorter ride. I should have kept my big mouth shut.

I'm 70 this year but I think my kness ate older. I think I ruined them riding motorbikes for years. The crap gearing on the bike doesn't help. More than 1 in 1000000 and I'm struggling

IMG_20190224_154009.jpg

IMG_20190224_154005(1).jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

All gone a bit quiet lately.

I went out yesterday and did over five miles for the first time since I don't know when. Only did a 25 mile round trip to Formby to watch some cricket. Honestly don't know if I'll ever get back to the levels I was at a couple of years ago. The motivation just doesn't seem to be there any more.

Anyway, here it is.

• Upvote 2

I probably said it a few posts back but I really really intended get out on my bike more this year and I just haven't. I think I was waiting for 'the better weather' to arrive or something. That said, in the last few weeks I've been out for a few rides. There really is no joy in those first rides when you're not 'bike fit' and it all seems like more pain than gain. Worse still, my riding chum, who previously was happy to follow me has left me trailing on one or two occasions. She mentioned doing The Tour of the Borders ride at the beginning of September. I'm more than a bit put off the prices charged for entering these events but it may be the spur I need to put the effort in to get into a bit better shape

1 hour ago, Champ said:

I probably said it a few posts back but I really really intended get out on my bike more this year and I just haven't. I think I was waiting for 'the better weather' to arrive or something. That said, in the last few weeks I've been out for a few rides. There really is no joy in those first rides when you're not 'bike fit' and it all seems like more pain than gain. Worse still, my riding chum, who previously was happy to follow me has left me trailing on one or two occasions. She mentioned doing The Tour of the Borders ride at the beginning of September. I'm more than a bit put off the prices charged for entering these events but it may be the spur I need to put the effort in to get into a bit better shape

Yes, nothing like the threat of a disaster at an event you've paid for to keep the motivation up!

It's winter down here at the mo and I am getting a bit fat and lazy, mind you a few of my regular accomplices are even worse.

Two others are off on a Tour de France bike tour in a week or so, as part of 50th birthday mid life crisis splurges. They are going through the Pyrenees and Alps, watch a bit of the stage each day, with rides going to various chateaux and vineyards on the way.  As well as riding a few classic mountains like Alpe d'Huez and that.

I am a fair bit jealous.

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 04:36, Champ said:

Well, we got ourselves organised and did it https://tourotheborders.com/event-info and really enjoyed it. The weather was a lot cooler than we'd expected but apart from a short section it was dry and the sun came out just as we were finishing. Coffee and a Boost bar never tasted so good.

In the past my downfall on these longer events has been running out of energy so I spent most of Saturday eating and it really paid off. We'd opted for the shorter course but I never felt like I was flagging at all and would quite happily have completed the longer course if I'd had to.

My next challenge is to learn how to ride hills properly...

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I've been riding the same route to work for almost 15 years. It's very quiet and safe, as half of it involves gravel trails through parks and protected wetlands. It's a good distance too - about 13km (or a little over 30 minutes) each way.

I ride all through the year, rain or snow, and I've seen loads of wildlife over the years (Coyotes, rabbits, turtles, eagles, foxes, beaver etc). There are signs that say there are black bear in the area, but I've never seen one...until last week.

It was about 6 am, completely dark with no lights anywhere except my bike light. I could see a black mass ahead of me on the trail, but I was about 40 ft behind it before I realized what it was. To be honest, it wasn't the slightest bit interested in me, and seemed to appreciate the trail being illuminated. I had to wait about ten minutes while he wandered down the trail in front of me before making a turn for the river (fish breakfast).

it was kind of cool to finally see one, but it sure makes me a bit more cautious riding down there. You see things in the shadows all the time, and it definitely makes you think.

Then same time this morning I'm in the exact same spot when a large coyote runs right out in front of my bike from the bushes. I almost died on the spot. 

Just happy to be alive.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, neko said:

I've been riding the same route to work for almost 15 years. It's very quiet and safe, as half of it involves gravel trails through parks and protected wetlands. It's a good distance too - about 13km (or a little over 30 minutes) each way.

I ride all through the year, rain or snow, and I've seen loads of wildlife over the years (Coyotes, rabbits, turtles, eagles, foxes, beaver etc). There are signs that say there are black bear in the area, but I've never seen one...until last week.

It was about 6 am, completely dark with no lights anywhere except my bike light. I could see a black mass ahead of me on the trail, but I was about 40 ft behind it before I realized what it was. To be honest, it wasn't the slightest bit interested in me, and seemed to appreciate the trail being illuminated. I had to wait about ten minutes while he wandered down the trail in front of me before making a turn for the river (fish breakfast).

it was kind of cool to finally see one, but it sure makes me a bit more cautious riding down there. You see things in the shadows all the time, and it definitely makes you think.

Then same time this morning I'm in the exact same spot when a large coyote runs right out in front of my bike from the bushes. I almost died on the spot. 

Just happy to be alive.

I'd have shit myself.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, neko said:

Just happy to be alive.

Get the bus mate. 

1 hour ago, neko said:

Just happy to be alive.

Have you ever seen a Bigfoot or a Dogman? What about a Werewolf?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2019 at 16:32, neko said:

Just happy to be alive.

And I thought I was brave cycling through Seacombe. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
17 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

KidD has learned to ride this half term and loves it. She's on a bike we got last year and it's too small. Can anyone recommend a brand or specific  24" bike?  Doesn't have to be for girls specifically. 

Just to be used at weekends for some casual riding, nothing extreme

I’m sure I’ve said it before but spend no money on kids bikes.

We were all excited to buy J his first grown up one Christmas and spent a reasonable amount of money on it. By the time the weather improved for him to get out on it he’d practically grown out of it

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m sure I’ve said it before but spend no money on kids bikes.

We were all excited to buy J his first grown up one Christmas and spent a reasonable amount of money on it. By the time the weather improved for him to get out on it he’d practically grown out of it

Yea abuse; lack of use; being left outside; generally doesn't really tally with spending big on kids bikes. I'd even recommend second hand in most cases.